The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Mike Sim­monds

LU­TON boss Nathan Jones felt it was two points dropped by his pro­mo­tion­chas­ing side as they were held to a draw by Exeter City.

The Hat­ters fell be­hind to Jake Tay­lor’s sec­ond goal in as many games on the hour mark, but en­sured a share of the spoils as Danny Hyl­ton pow­ered home a 23rd of the sea­son eight min­utes later.

Jones said: “It’s two points dropped and I'm bit­terly dis­ap­pointed. Es­pe­cially af­ter the first half, where we dom­i­nated the game, con­trolled the game, got into real good ar­eas, and then just didn’t quite get the first goal.

“Af­ter that, the big­gest dis­ap­point­ment was the first ten min­utes of the sec­ond half as we didn’t do the nor­mal things we usu­ally do and that al­lowed Exeter to get into the game and then they scored.

“They had one or two chances, one op­por­tu­nity was clear-cut, but we’ve had so many op­por­tu­ni­ties sec­ond half and got into great ar­eas.

“How­ever, when they got to the by-line, they cut it back and scored. We got to the by-line three times and noth­ing comes of it.”

The vis­i­tors were forced into an early reshuf­fle when cap­tain Jor­dan Moore-Tay­lor suf­fered a head in­jury and was re­placed by Luke Croll.

Exeter went close on 15 min­utes, Reuben Reid’s shot was par­ried by Matt Macey, while Lu­ton threat­ened spo­rad­i­cally, Jor­dan Cook was not too far away with his 30-yard free kick on the half-hour.

Vis­it­ing keeper Bobby Ole­jnik made an ex­cel­lent stop to keep Jack Marriott’s glanc­ing header out, while Hyl­ton sent the re­bound off tar­get.

Af­ter the break, Reid’s closerange ef­fort was bril­liantly blocked by Alan Shee­han, with the striker waste­fully sky­ing the fol­low-up.

Troy Brown clipped the bar for the vis­i­tors af­ter Hyl­ton headed a clear­ance into him, while Mpanzu’s shot re­quired sav­ing from Ole­jnik.

How­ever, Exeter had the break­through on the hour mark as a glo­ri­ous sweep­ing counter-at­tack ended with the ex­cel­lent Jack Stacey tee­ing up Tay­lor to con­fi­dently find the cor­ner.

Home sub Ol­lie Palmer then saw his ef­fort cleared off the line by Croll, be­fore the striker ex­cel­lently set up Hyl­ton to level the scores on 68 min­utes.

Hyl­ton thought he had won it, only to see his goal chalked out for off­side, while Macey had to re­pel a late Ol­lie Watkins shot with his legs..

Gre­cians boss Paul Tis­dale said: “We put a lot of ef­fort into what was a re­ally, re­ally tough game. “We played com­mit­ted and re­ally hard as a team and showed a lot of spirit. We played against a good team, we went ahead, but I’m sat­is­fied with the per­for­mance and the point. “It was a re­ally good fin­ish. We'd had the chance just be­fore from a sim­i­lar po­si­tion and put the ball over.

“I don't think Reuben has missed from there too often.

“We had four or five re­ally good chances. There were lots of mis­takes but as a team we re­ally played to­gether in a fre­netic game.”

PIC­TURES: Gareth Owen

DANNY BOY: Danny Hyl­ton celebrates net­ting Lu­ton’s goal

HEADS UP: Hyl­ton nods in


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.