The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Scott Hunt BLACK­POOL (4-3-3): Ly­ness 8, Mel­lor 3, Al­dred 5, Robert­son 5, Daniel 7, Potts 5, Danns 6 (Black 72 6), Payne 7, Delfouneso 4 (Flores 69 8), Cullen 6 (Vas­sell 72 7), Osayi-Sa­muel 8 Subs not used: Slo­combe, Aim­son, Matt, Odelusi HARTLEPOOL (

BLACK­POOL man­ager Gary Bowyer is re­fus­ing to get car­ried away de­spite his side jump­ing up to fifth in League Two with a come­back win against Hartlepool.

Kyle Vas­sell struck the win­ner ten min­utes from time af­ter Bright Osayi-Sa­muel had can­celled out Lewis Alessan­dra’s opener.

The Seasiders are one of the form sides in the coun­try hav­ing lost just one of their last 15 games, win­ning their last three.

They leapfrogged Carlisle, Exeter and Lu­ton to move into the play-offs, but Bowyer is keep­ing his feet on the ground.

“You can’t get ahead of your­self in this game be­cause the mo­ment that starts you get a big slap round the face,” Bowyer said.

“We’re just go­ing to con­cen­trate on what we’ve done for the last month or so which is pre­pare prop­erly and win games. We will look at ar­eas we can im­prove and go again to try and get three points next Satur­day.

“It was a very hard-fought vic­tory. We looked nervy at the start but we re­sponded ever so well to go­ing a goal down.

“We found the way to win a game again. We know that we can play bet­ter than we have done here.”

Hartlepool, roared on by over 1,600 trav­el­ling sup­port­ers, went ahead af­ter 18 min­utes. Black­pool’s Kelvin Mel­lor and Tom Al­dred left the ball to one another and Alessan­dra cap­i­talised by spin­ning and firing home from 15 yards.

The Seasiders re­sponded within three min­utes, how­ever, as Osayi-Sa­muel con­trolled the ball in­side the area and stroked his third in two games low into the far cor­ner.

But the hosts had Dean Ly­ness to thank for keep­ing Hartlepool at bay be­fore half­time, keep­ing out first Lewis Hawkins and then Padraig Amond af­ter 29 min­utes and then ac­ro­bat­i­cally tip­ping Alessan­dra’s shot over on 41 min­utes.

Hartlepool con­tin­ued to threaten and a bril­liant ad­van­tage from the ref­eree al­lowed Padraig Amond to go clean through ten min­utes later, but Ly­ness saved again. And Black­pool struck the de­ci­sive blow on 80 min­utes as sub­sti­tute Vas­sell’s cross-shot looped over Joe Fryer and into the far cor­ner from the tight­est of an­gles.

“I thought we de­served some­thing from the game, we dom­i­nated for large pe­ri­ods,” Hartlepool boss Dave Jones said.

“It’s hard to swal­low be­cause we’ve played so well but that must be the fifth or sixth time I’ve said that. We switched off for the sec­ond goal and that’s what we can’t do. It’s a trait that we have at the mo­ment and we’re try­ing to take that out of us.

“If we con­tinue to de­velop and be­lieve in what’s hap­pen­ing, then we will get there.

“One or two need to re­alise that it’s about a team and not the in­di­vid­ual.”

PIC­TURES: ProS­ports/ Mark Do­herty

SHIN­ING BRIGHT: Bright Osayi-Sa­muel runs with the ball and, inset, Kyle Vas­sell twists to make it 2-1

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.