The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE ONE - By Simon Smed­ley

GUTSY Old­ham up­set the odds as they cruised to a sparkling vic­tory against pro­mo­tion-chas­ing Fleet­wood.

A goal in each half sent the Cod Army pack­ing as they were beaten on their trav­els for the first time since Novem­ber, and they are now seven points from au­to­matic pro­mo­tion.

For Old­ham boss John Sheri­dan, the three points lifted his team – un­beaten at home since Jan­uary – up to 17th, three points clear of Port Vale in the fi­nal rel­e­ga­tion place.

The for­mer Ire­land in­ter­na­tional said: “That was a re­ally good per­for­mance from our team, against a team who, don’t for­get, are go­ing for au­to­matic pro­mo­tion.

“Our home form re­ally has been ex­cel­lent since I came back to the club, and on days like this we don’t look any­thing like a team that’s still fight­ing to stay in the divi­sion.

“We’ve se­cured an­other clean sheet, so all in all I’m chuffed to bits for the lads. It’s the lads who should take the plau­dits.

“I’m just the per­son who picks the team.

“That team is knit­ting to­gether nicely now, though.”

Old­ham were ex­cep­tion­ally good value for their lead at half­time as they dom­i­nated the open­ing pe­riod.

They went in front af­ter 25 min­utes – though it was a rather for­tu­itous strike.

Paul Green whipped the ball in from the right flank and as Lee Er­win charged in to meet it, his ef­fort flicked off the boot of vet­eran de­fender Nathan Pond be­fore loop­ing over a stunned Alex Cairns.

The Cod Army were never in it in the first half.

Ol­lie Banks pro­duced a fly­ing save from Cairns, while Er­win some­how scooped a chance over the top from two yards out.

The clinch­ing sec­ond goal came nine min­utes af­ter the restart – and what a cracker it was.

This time Er­win most def­i­nitely struck, swiv­el­ling be­fore vol­ley­ing home clin­i­cally af­ter meet­ing Aaron Amadi-Hol­loway’s pre­cise knock­down.

Er­win al­most scored a sec­ond just min­utes later when his de­flected strike was bril­liantly palmed away by Cairns.

It was a rare dis­mal away-day for Fleet­wood boss Uwe Rosler and he was fu­ri­ous af­ter watch- ing his team slide meekly to de­feat.

Rosler said: “The bet­ter team won.

“We just strug­gled. It was maybe one game too many for some play­ers and pos­si­bly one or two games too early for oth­ers.

“They played the con­di­tions bet­ter than us, but that’s cer­tainly not an ex­cuse.

“We needed to con­tinue play­ing the way we did in the first 15 min­utes, when we did look dan­ger­ous.

“We just need to move on now. We got our­selves a great re­sult at Ox­ford in the week, but we just haven’t per­formed here. “We go to Peterborough on Fri­day now and we try to get three points again.”

HEADS UP: Aaron AmadiHol­loway goes for the ball

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.