The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By John Brind­ley

GARY Cald­well’s eight-month ten­ure as Ch­ester­field boss came to a sorry end af­ter Ac­cring­ton Stan­ley in­flicted their sev­enth de­feat of a mis­er­able cam­paign.

The 35-year-old was dis­missed af­ter Mal­lik Wilks scored a su­perb win­ner to deny Cald­well’s strug­glers the point even Ac­cring­ton boss John Cole­man con­ceded they de­served.

And im­me­di­ately af­ter the game, be­fore learn­ing of his fate, Cald­well was fum­ing with ref­eree Craig Hicks who he sen­sa­tion­ally claimed saved Stan­ley af­ter a case of un­known iden­tity.

Ten-man Ch­ester­field drew level af­ter Billy Kee’s opener through a Kris­tian Den­nis penalty, but Hicks failed to show what the Spire­ites boss be­lieved could have been a match-chang­ing card.

“The fourth of­fi­cial said the ref­eree didn’t give a card be­cause he didn’t know who had com­mit­ted the foul,” Cald­well stormed.

“Be­tween them the ref­eree, the two lines­man and him have got a lot of de­ci­sions clearly wrong.”

Whilst not dis­put­ing de­fender Bradley Barry’s straight red card at a time when Ch­ester­field were boss­ing the match, Cald­well was also fu­ri­ous at a de­ci­sion not to award a penalty when Janoi Dona­cien han­dled early in the se­cond half.

He said: “He’s had 50 yards, so he’s had his chance to get his hand out of the way.

“The char­ac­ter my play­ers showed was phe­nom­e­nal, com­ing from be­hind with ten men. We were edgy in the first half but on top when the send­ing off hap­pened. My team gave ev­ery­thing.”

Three fine saves from Joe Anyon kept the score­line blank at half­time. The Ch­ester­field guardian par­ried Sean McConville’s closerange shot in the third minute, re­acted quickly to tip Kee’s header over the bar, and rounded off the half by deny­ing McConville again af­ter he drifted clev­erly in­side,

Cald­well’s men started the se­cond half much more brightly with Aaron Chap­man mak­ing a stop at the feet of Den­nis.

But Barry’s rash chal­lenge in the 63rd minute on Sea­mus Con­neely turned back the blue tide, and Kee con­trolled and swept home an an­gled vol­ley to give the visi­tors the lead five min­utes later.

Cole­man said af­ter­wards his team’s of­fender was for Ch­ester­field’s penalty was de­fender Far­rend Rawson, who hadn’t pre­vi­ously been yel­low-carded.

De­spite the set­back, Wilks hit the win­ner from 20 yards to clinch the points for the visi­tors and send the Spire­ites back into the drop zone.

Cole­man said: “Credit to Ch­ester­field. A lot of teams will come here and get noth­ing. They are fight­ing for their lives and ac­quit­ted them­selves well. They prob­a­bly de­served a point.

“In the se­cond half they got on top be­fore the red card. It looked like a poor chal­lenge but noth­ing ma­li­cious.

“We haven’t yet hit the heights we are ca­pa­ble of but I’m de­lighted with the win.”


JOB DONE: Ac­cring­ton’s Mal­lik Wilks, right, cel­e­brates his win­ner with Jor­dan Clark and, inset, Gary Cald­well ex­its

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.