Blues run con­tin­ues to Curle’s frus­tra­tion

The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Chris Mar­shall-Bell

CARLISLE UNITED man­ager Keith Curle in­sisted his side should have gone on to beat Bar­net, but in­stead they had to set­tle for a draw at Brun­ton Park.

A point apiece for both sides stretches Carlisle’s win­less run to five games, while for Bar­net it was heart­break for the se­cond time in four days, con­ced­ing late to drop more points.

Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro had put the Bees ahead early on and the visi­tors looked like they would grind out the win, but a spec­tac­u­lar over­head kick from Shaun Miller five min­utes from time res­cued a point for Carlisle.

“There was a feel­ing of re­lief in the chang­ing room af­ter­wards, but also frus­tra­tion be­cause they wanted to win,” Curle said.

“I thought we were go­ing to win it. We had a cou­ple of op­por­tu­ni­ties in ex­tra time to go on and do just that.

“If we had won it, on the bal­ance of play Bar­net couldn’t have been too dis­grun­tled.

“We have given them some­thing to de­fend and they have de­fended ad­mirably.

“There were times when we needed a lit­tle bit more qual­ity in the fi­nal third, but we were brave and showed good char­ac­ter. Con­fi­dence breeds re­sults.”

Curle’s men fell be­hind on eight min­utes when Shaquile Coulthirst’s flick on from a long punt for­ward caught the Carlisle de­fence un­aware, al­low­ing Akpa Akpro to nip in be­hind and tap in, af­ter his first at­tempt re­bounded off the post.

David Tu­tonda and Coulthirst both went close to dou­bling Bar­net’s lead ei­ther side of the in­ter­val, and an un­marked Mark El­lis should have lev­elled for the hosts on 81 min­utes, but in­stead the ball ran through his legs.

But four min­utes later Shaun Miller did equalise with a su­perb over­head kick ten yards from goal. El­lis and Danny Grainger then al­most headed in a home win­ner in time added on.

Rossi Eames, Bar­net’s boss, re­flected: “We are mak­ing sure we start games well and start each half well, but we need to be fin­ish­ing games well too.

“It’s a 90-minute game and we have to make sure we are alert for the whole pe­riod of time we are play­ing.

“There’s a lit­tle bit of de­jec­tion that we didn’t get the se­cond goal to kill the game off. You have to put those chances to bed as oth­er­wise you get pun­ished.

“But you have to give the lads credit as well – they showed huge re­silience to do what they did. You have to say that this was a hard­fought point.”


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.