The Football League Paper - - LEAGUE TWO - By Paul Joan­nou

PORT Vale ended a run of six league games with­out a win to pick up their first home point of the sea­son, but that was still not enough to save man­ager Michael Brown.

An­gry Valiants fans made their views on the fi­nal whis­tle per­fectly clear, and Brown was sacked shortly af­ter­wards.

And while Brown ad­mit­ted he un­der­stood the fans frus­tra­tions, he ini­tally re­mained con­fi­dent he could turn things around – show­ing no inkling of what was to come.

“We’ve had meet­ings this week and we’re work­ing very hard to get re­sults,” he said.

“We have reg­u­lar meet­ings, my­self and the chair­man. We go through ev­ery­thing and we’re work­ing very hard to put it right. We un­der­stand the frus­tra­tion. The fans got be­hind the play­ers in the first half.

“I think it set us back a bit when they had the ball in the se­cond half for a small pe­riod; it made the play­ers slightly edgy, which put us on the back foot.

“We be­lieve that we’ve got enough in that dress­ing room to get re­sults. The league ta­ble doesn’t lie. We’ve not got the points that we’ve needed.

“It’s not al­ways the true pic­ture though, with the dif­fi­cul­ties we’ve had. We lost Ty­rone Bar­nett to­day, which was frus­trat­ing.”

Dan Turner gave Vale a firsthalf lead but they could not hold on as sub­sti­tute Omar Bugiel lev­elled mid­way through the se­cond pe­riod.

The open­ing goal came on 19 min­utes. Tom Pope drove towards the For­est Green box and slid the ball across to Turner, who ex­pertly slot­ted past Bradley Collins for his third goal of the sea­son.

Both sides be­gan the match 92nd and 91st in the EFL, and it showed through­out as there was lit­tle qual­ity.

But Rovers drew level in the 68th minute when Bugiel headed in just sec­onds af­ter com­ing on for Will Ran­dall.

For­est Green then al­most took the lead 11 min­utes later when Liam No­ble’s curling free­kick was just inches away from bend­ing into the top cor­ner.

Rovers boss Mark Cooper felt his team could have won it, but was pleased with the im­pact of his sub­sti­tutes.

“When you make sub­sti­tu­tions, you want them to make an im­pres­sion; all three did to­day and that’s what you’ve got to do,” he said.

“We pos­si­bly could have won in the end. There wasn’t a lot in the game first half - a silly mis­take from our de­fend­ers again - so I de­cided to change dras­ti­cally at half-time, which gave us a bit of im­pe­tus. “We were on the front foot se­cond half and with a lit­tle bit more care, we could have won the game. It’s a start for us but we have to main­tain that com­mit­ment we showed for a few pe­ri­ods to­day and stop mak­ing silly mis­takes.”

PIC­TURES: PSI/Shane Healey

GET IN: Chris­tian Doidge cel­e­brates Omar Bugiel’s equaliser for For­est Green FIRST BLOOD: Port Vale’s Dan Turner opens the scor­ing but his side could not hold on

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.