Flint nets win­ner as Bogle sees red

The Football League Paper - - CHAMPIONSHIP - By Richard Latham

LEE John­son was able to look back on a per­fect week af­ter Aden Flint’s sec­ond-half goal earned Bris­tol City the brag­ging rights from an all-ac­tion Sev­ern­side derby.

Af­ter the im­pres­sive Cal­lum O’Dowda put the hosts in front, Omar Bogle lev­elled be­fore half­time, only for Aden Flint to re­store the Robins’ lead on 66 min­utes.

The win­ner came af­ter Cardiff were re­duced to ten men fol­low­ing the send­ing-off of striker Bogle on 55 min­utes, but noth­ing could de­tract from John­son’s de­light over his team’s per­for­mance.

Af­ter go­ing onto the pitch to lead the cel­e­bra­tions with fans, John­son said: “I am beam­ing with pride over the ef­forts of my play­ers.

“That’s nine points in a week, which in­cluded away games at Sun­der­land and Ful­ham. Af­ter those matches, to go 12 rounds with a very strong Cardiff side and come out on top showed fan­tas­tic en­ergy lev­els.

“We de­served to win. Ev­ery stat will tell you that. We are still un­fan­cied in the Cham­pi­onship by a lot of peo­ple, but ev­ery­one is play­ing for the cause, not the ap­plause. To be hon­est, we can do with the in­ter­na­tional break now be­cause we have a few in­juries and the lads can have a few wellde­served days off.”

Bris­tol took a 20th-minute lead when O’Dowda col­lected a Joe Bryan pass on the right of the box and cut in­side onto his left foot to find the far cor­ner with a qual­ity fin­ish.

But four min­utes be­fore the break the lead was wiped out as Bogle fired through the legs of goal­keeper Frank Field­ing af­ter good work by Ju­nior Hoi­lett on the by­line.

Bogle then blot­ted his copy­book with a late 55th-minute chal­lenge on Marlon Pack in the cen­tre of the pitch, which brought a straight red card from ref­eree Mike Jones.

Bris­tol cap­i­talised on their man ad­van­tage seven min­utes later when Flint rose to power home an un­stop­pable header from Hor­dur Mag­nus­son’s soar­ing long throw from the right.

Cardiff boss Neil Warnock said: “I have no com­plaints what­so­ever about the send­ing-off. It was a two-footed tackle, which cost us the game, and Omar knows there are no ex­cuses.

“What up­set me was the in­con­sis­tency shown by a good Premier League ref­eree. Pack should have been shown a sec­ond yel­low card for a foul ear­lier in the sec­ond half. I felt very few 50-50 de­ci­sions were given in our favour. I shall be speak­ing to the ref­eree be­cause I think he is bet­ter than that.

“We have let a lad have a free header for the win­ning goal, but oth­er­wise I thought we were the bet­ter team.

“The per­for­mance gave me a lot of con­fi­dence and showed me how far we have come. I still think we can step up a gear, but to be where we are in the league in Novem­ber is fan­tas­tic.”

John­son with­drew Pack mid­way through the sec­ond half, ad­mit­ting the mid­fielder had been on a last warn­ing from the ref­eree.

“I can un­der­stand Neil Warnock’s thought process when he claimed Marlon should have had a sec­ond yel­low,” he added. “He queried it at the time with the fourth of­fi­cial and it came back down the mi­cro­phone that the ref thought Marlon took a fair chunk of the ball, as well as the man.”

Bris­tol might have had a third goal late on when the im­pres­sive Josh Brown­hill sent a swerv­ing shot against a post.

But Cardiff never threw in the towel and for­mer Bris­tol at­tacker Lee Tomlin, on as a sub­sti­tute, wasted a cou­ple of promis­ing free-kick po­si­tions in the clos­ing min­utes.

With O’Dowda out­stand­ing, Bris­tol just edged a full-blooded clash.

OFF YOU GO: Cardiff’s Omar Bogle gets his march­ing or­ders

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.