Hoodoo for Stu is fi­nally at an end

The Football League Paper - - FA CUP FIRST ROUND - By Scott Turner

STU­ART Mc­Call ad­mits he was re­lieved to fi­nally end an FA Cup jinx af­ter se­cur­ing his first FA Cup win at Val­ley Pa­rade in ten years.

Ch­ester­field were dis­patched af­ter goals from Alex Gil­liead and Alex Jones gave the high­fly­ing Bantams a rou­tine vic­tory.

And City boss Mc­Call was ec­static witht he pro­fes­sion­al­ism of his troops.

“It was all about hav­ing the right at­ti­tude and ob­vi­ously we needed a bit of qual­ity for the goals,” he said.

“Ch­ester­field played with­out fear and passed it about well, but we scored two re­ally good goals.

“It was a de­cent cup tie, with chances for both sides, and it’s just nice to get through.

“We just want to keep the mo­men­tum go­ing and the feel­good fac­tor – plus ev­ery­one knows my record is rot­ten in this so it was good to win!”

And Spire­ites boss Jack Lester be­lieves the de­feat could serve as a good ex­pe­ri­ence as his side look to climb to league safety.

Lester said: “We kept the ball mov­ing quite well and got in be­hind their mid­field, but we were not de­ci­sive enough. It is some­thing that we need to im­prove on and some­thing we will im­prove on.

“We are try­ing to get the in­ten­sity up. Bradford are a lot higher than we are at the mo­ment and that showed, but we com­peted with them.

“We’ve got Swin­don next and we’ll head there on the front foot. They’re do­ing well, but they’ll be no bet­ter than Bradford.”

Gil­liead got City off to a flyer when he picked out the bot­tom cor­ner af­ter Jones carved open the de­fence on four min­utes.

The Spire­ites re­sponded well with top scorer Kris­tian Den­nis and Andy Kel­lett both go­ing close. Tim Dieng al­most net­ted ei­ther side of the half-hour mark as the Bantams looked for a knock­out goal.

And the pres­sure paid off when Jones dinked the ball over Joe Anyon on 44 min­utes to put Bradford in con­trol. Joe Row­ley blew a glo­ri­ous chance to get Ch­ester­field back into it when he volleyed Kel­lett’s cross over on 50 min­utes.

Anyon saved well from Char­lie Wyke’s 25yard vol­ley on the hour mark to keep Ch­ester­field in it.

He then palmed away Paul Tay­lor’s shot be­fore Jones blazed the re­bound over on 68 min­utes.

Mean­whie, Kel­lett and Den­nis failed to test Colin Doyle with hope­ful shots in the clos­ing stages as time ran out for Ch­ester­field in this year’s com­pe­ti­tion.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.