Tel Aviv hit by net loss
TENNIS The Negev Israel Open has been cancelled due to security concerns arising from the conflict in the region.
The competition, scheduled to take place in Tel Aviv between September 15-21, had been set to become the first World Tour event in Israel since 1996.
ATP chairman Chris Kermode said: “We’re sad we cannot proceed, but ensuring the security of our players, fans and all those involved in organising a world-class event is our number one priority.
“We hope to be back in Tel Aviv next year. In the meantime, and much more importantly, we hope for a swift return to peace in the region.”
Israel Tennis Association chairman Asaf Tochmeir said: “Ultimately, we hope that peace and quiet will return to our region, which is more important than any tournament.”