Too stoned to save Lady Beth

The boyfriend of Mar­quess’s drug death girl ad­mits fam­ily blame him and says: ‘I could have done more but I was too gone’

The Mail on Sunday - - NEWS - By Abul Ta­her and Jake Hur­furt

THE boyfriend of an 18-year-old aris­to­crat who died af­ter a two-day drugs and al co­hol bi nge has re­vealed how her heart­bro­ken fa­ther told him: ‘You could have taken bet­ter care of her.’

In an ex­clu­sive in­ter­view with The Mail on Sun­day, Je­nan Herzog Karagoli de­scribed how the Mar­quess of Queens­berry con­fronted him af­ter his youngest daugh­ter, Lady Beth Dou­glas, was found dead in a squalid flat.

‘ He told me that I could have looked af­ter her bet­ter. I felt like her fam­ily were blam­ing me. There was a heavy sense of I could have done some­thing,’ said Karagoli.

The 21-year-old also re­vealed how their re­la­tion­ship re­volved around co­caine and that Beth – known as Ling Ling to friends and fam­ily – had a his­tory of self-harm.

The tragedy emerged last week af­ter an in­quest heard how the teenager – a tal­ented mu­si­cian from one of Bri­tain’s most dis­tin­guished aris­to­cratic fam­i­lies – had been found un­con­scious with nee­dle marks in her arm af­ter tak­ing co­caine and heroin.

Last night, Karagoli in­sisted he had done ev­ery­thing he could to save Beth af­ter find­ing her un­con­scious at a house party in the early hours of March 7. The cou­ple, who had been to­gether for ten months, had gone to the flat in Not­ting Hill, West Lon­don, close to the flat they shared with his mother in the iconic land­mark Trel­lick Tower.

Karagoli de­scribed how he briefly left the party to buy a bot­tle of wine, but when he re­turned he found his girl­friend un­con­scious.

He said: ‘I saw her slumped on the sofa. I had a bot­tle of red wine in my hand and there was a guy next to us with a bot­tle of Hen­nessy.

‘I just crashed with her on the sofa. She seemed snug, so I joined her and fell asleep. I woke up at 1.30am and tried to wake her, and she was not wak­ing up.

‘She was still warm, and that’s when I started to panic. I saw this man tak­ing crack and he said that it hap­pens all the time. I asked him, “What? What hap­pens all the time? I don’t know what’s hap­pened.”

‘I told him to call the am­bu­lance, and I called an am­bu­lance as well from her phone. Then I told him, “Here’s a ten­ner, get me some cig­a­rettes.” That’s when he fled – he prob­a­bly told other deal­ers to toss their phones.’

Karagoli added: ‘The am­bu­lance took about 15 to 20 min­utes. I was try­ing to put her in re­cov­ery. I was try­ing to re­sus­ci­tate her, the paramedics tried to do CPR. They said she was de­ceased at the scene.’

Two weeks later, Beth was cre­mated in a Bud­dhist cer­e­mony in Lon­don. Days af­ter­wards, Karagoli was con­fronted by her fa­ther David Dou­glas, the 88-year-old 12th Mar­quess of Queens­berry.

Karagoli in­sists that he did not know what was go­ing on that night, but ad­mits that his own drug-ad­dled state may have af­fected how he could have helped Beth.

He said: ‘David said I could have been a bit more con­scious and taken care of her. I fully re­spect that – I hold noth­ing against that.

‘I fully be­lieve I could have done more, but un­for­tu­nately at the time I was too gone.’

Karagoli also told The Mail on Sun­day that Beth had re­cently set her- self up as an on­line dom­i­na­trix us­ing Twit­ter to ad­ver­tise her ser­vices. In the months lead­ing up to her death, she posted a se­ries of dis­turb­ing self­ies and videos, in­clud­ing some of her half-naked. Oth­ers ap­pear to show her un­der the in­flu­ence of drugs.

She also of­fered to ‘ per­form naked’ on Skype for £20 and tried to sell her un­der­wear. Most of the other posts are too ex­plicit to be in­cluded in a fam­ily news­pa­per.

Both of the cou­ple’ s email ad­dresses were posted pub­licly for clients to use when they were send- ing pay­ments. Ad­mit­ting he knew about the ser­vices, Karagoli said: ‘It was funny. She would send peo­ple pic­tures, which was nice, and in re­ward [told them], “You are go­ing to send me money.” She made about £500 from the whole thing. She ran it for two to three months.’

He de­nies that he per­son­ally took any of the money raised by her.

And he re­vealed that their re­la­tion­ship re­volved around co­caine from the be­gin­ning, adding: ‘For the first few months, ev­ery­thing was fl ow­ery. We were t ak­ing co­caine and go­ing to par­ties. We were tak­ing co­caine not on a daily ba­sis, but ev­ery other day.’

Last week’s in­quest at West­min­ster Coro­ner’s Court heard that Beth had a his­tory of drug and al­co­hol ad­dic­tion, and had been known to men­tal health ser­vices since the age of 13 when she had be­gun self­harm­ing. At 17, she was sec­tioned un­der the Men­tal Health Act.

At the hear­ing, the Mar­quess said

he knew his daugh­ter had a his­tory of tak­ing drugs but that he did not be­lieve she had in­jected heroin be­fore. He also crit­i­cised po­lice for fail­ing to iden­tify the dealer who sold the lethal drug.

The in­quest listed car­diac respi- ra­tory fail­ure and co­caine and heroin poi­son­ing as the cause of death. Coro­ner Dr Shirley Rad­cliffe said: ‘ The po­lice found no nee­dles or sy­ringes. As far as they are con­cerned there is no fur­ther ac­tion they can take.’

DRUG BINGE: Lady Beth Dou­glas, who died in March

HEART­BRO­KEN: The Mar­quess with Beth, right, and grand­daugh­ter Hero

RE­GRETS: Je­nan Karagoli, who had been dat­ing Beth for ten months

SQUALID: The boarded-up flat where Beth, top, died at a party

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.