The Non-League Football Paper - - VANARAMA NATIONAL LEAGUE - By Ruth Tun­nell

GUISE­LEY ar­rived at the Gal­lagher Sta­dium with only one win all season, but thanks to a 90th-minute penalty from sub­sti­tute Frank Mul­h­ern they left with a point in a match which never burst into life.

“I was chuffed with the boys as I thought we de­served at least a point out of the game,” said Guise­ley boss Paul Cox. “But I can­not keep wait­ing for the con­sis­tency to come, I have got to do some­thing about it.

“I have been here seven games now and there is only one game where we haven’t turned up and that was Maiden­head away. It is in both boxes that we are let­ting our­selves down.”

The Lions came within inches of tak­ing the lead with just a minute played. Mike Fon­dop-Talom ran into space on the left side of the box and from a tight an­gle, hit a low shot which Lee Wor­gan did well to di­vert be­hind us­ing his hand.

But it was the Stones who opened the scor­ing on 12 min­utes. Jack Richards ran down the left and drove a cross into the box, where the Guise­ley de­fence made a mess of try­ing to get it clear and the ball dropped to Zavon Hines, who took a nice touch to round Jonny Maxted be­fore fin­ish­ing from close range.

Both sides were strug­gling to get into any rhythm, but the Lions soon had a chance to equalise; Wor­gan couldn’t gather Con­nor Brown’s cross in­side a crowded box and the ball fell to Rob Atkin­son, who had an open-goal to shoot at and his ef­fort de­flected just wide.

The Stones then had a goal ruled out when Jack Richards was ad­judged to have been in an off-side po­si­tion and in the sec­ond half the vis­i­tors nearly scored just be­fore the hour mark – John Rooney’s cor­ner was met by Rob Atkin­son, but Wor­gan man­aged to claw the ball off the line. But Guise­ley did fi­nally take an op­por­tu­nity to level with the game in its fi­nal mo­ments. Reece Prest­edge tripped Will Hat­field in­side the box and Frank Mul­h­ern stepped up to take the penalty, send­ing a con­fi­dent fin­ish past Wor­gan to give Guise­ley the share of the points. “It was dis­ap­point­ing to con­cede so late and from a penalty as at that stage you might think we had done the hard work and the game was won”, said Maid­stone man­ager Jay Saun­ders. “Guise­ley are a big team. They con­stantly try to turn you and you have to stand up and de­fend which for 89 min­utes we did un­til we switched off.”

PIC­TURE: David Pur­day

MAK­ING THEIR POINT: Frankie Mul­h­ern of Guise­ley cel­e­brates af­ter scor­ing the Lions’ equal­is­ing goal to make it 1-1

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.