The Non-League Football Paper - - VANARAMA NATIONAL LEAGUE - By Bob Her­bert

A STUN­NING hat-trick by Adi Yus­suf brought an end to Bar­row’s run of 10 games without a vic­tory – and it put a big smile on the face of Ady Pen­nock who will of­fi­cially start his role as the club's new man­ager next week.

Pen­nock changed his mind over sitting in the stand and joined in­terim boss Neill Hornby on the touch­line, and helped in­spire the Blue­birds to ar­guably thekir best re­sult of the sea­son.

In con­trast, how­ever, it was a re­sult to shock high­fly­ing Alder­shot Town, whose man­ager Gary Wad­dock was far from happy.

“I’m bit­terly dis­ap­pointed,” was his verdict. “Our sup­port­ers de­serve bet­ter than that for trav­el­ling up here.

“It was ar­guably our worst per­for­mance since we have been to­gether. If I am bru­tally hon­est, and I’ve told the play­ers this, I thought it was pa­thetic.

“Over the last four or five games I have seen it com­ing. We have been av­er­age at best. Con­ced­ing early gives you a moun­tain to climb.”

The first Bar­row goal came af­ter just five min­utes when Chris Cle­ments fed By­ron Har­ri­son who put the ball through for Yus­suf to send it past keeper Mark Smith, who was given the nod over Jake Cole in tak­ing the gloves.

The sec­ond came six min­utes be­fore the in­ter­val when home keeper Stu­art Moore took a free-kick and Yus­suf let the ball run be­fore he de­ceived his marker and got clear to send it home. The way the sec­ond half started it looked as if the game was far from set­tled. Within a minute of the restart, half-time sub Jake Gal­lagher took a free-kick – one of 19 given against Bar­row by ref­eree Si­mon Lu­cas – and the ball went out to the left flank where Ipswich Town loa­nee Adam McDon­nell pow­ered it into a crowded penalty area and the ball found its way into the net. It seemed as if it was game on for the vis­i­tors and the home de­fence had to do some heroic de­fend­ing. An­other Gal­lagher cross was just inches too high for in-form front man Scott Ren­dell and Moore had to get down to some low shots as Bar­row strove to hang on to their lead. But the game was set­tled in the 65th minute as Yus­suf brushed away Cal­lum Reynolds as he chased af­ter a through ball and he sud­denly re­alised keeper Smith was way off his line so from fully 30 yards he sent the ball bounc­ing home. In­com­ing Bar­row boss Pen­nock said: “It’s nice to get the three points – for ev­ery­body in­volved with the foot­ball club. “It has been tough. We won’t get car­ried away but it takes small steps. That per­for­mance makes you won­der why we are in the bot­tom four but the club has been very un­for­tu­nate with in­juries. “We didn’t carry any­body to­day. Ev­ery­body put a shift in and that is im­por­tant.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.