The Non-League Football Paper - - BOSTIK NORTH & SOUTH - By Toby Smith

RON­NIE CONLON’S dra­matic late win­ner en­sured league lead­ers

Lewes left Chip­stead with all three points.

It was the hosts who seemed dom­i­nant in the first half de­spite the lay­out of the league ta­ble, not back­wards in com­ing for­ward, though they were un­able to get the vi­tal goal.

By the sec­ond half Lewes showed why they are high-fly­ing in the divi­sion, see­ing more of the ball without really putting too much pres­sure on the home de­fence.

But that all looked to change with just ten min­utes re­main­ing, as Saidou Khan saw red for a sec­ond yel­low card, just ten min­utes af­ter his first.

And so it proved as Conlon popped up at the right mo­ment to fire home a late win­ner from in­side the area to keep his side top. Corinthian Ca­su­als were un­able to break the dead­lock against a well-drilled Hythe Town de­fence, de­spite their op­po­nents hav­ing just ten men.

Ca­su­als had the first chance when Cal­lum McCal­lis­ter hit a vol­ley over the bar, while Ke­iron Camp­bell’s su­perb 20-yarder went even closer when hit­ting the bar and bounc­ing on the line.

The last minute of the half saw the vis­i­tors down to ten when Jor­dan John­son-Palmer was sent off, but the sec­ond half was a poor af­fair as the Ca­su­als couldn’t get go­ing, left stuck with a 0-0 stale­mate – with th­ese teams the only two in the top 11 not to pick up a win.

Find­ing the back of the net was not a prob­lem for Wal­ton Ca­su­als, cruis­ing to vic­tory with three quick­fire goals af­ter the restart against Ash­ford Town. Af­ter Youssef Bamba saw his penalty saved, Josh Kelly volleyed home the re­bound, dou­bling his tally four min­utes later af­ter coolly round­ing the goal­keeper.

Fel­low Maiden­head United loa­nee Sean Mc­Cor­mack then drilled in from 12 yards, beat­ing Michael McEn­te­gart.

Tyrell Richard­sonBrown wrapped it up, link­ing up with fel­low sub­sti­tute Jack Bat­tie to roll into the bot­tom corner for the 4-0 win.

Cray Wan­der­ers kept the pres­sure on lead­ers Lewes with a bat­tling 1-0 vic­tory over Guernsey, though Michael Power’s header proved con­tentious.

With the free-scor­ing ti­tle-chasers fac­ing a leaky Guernsey rear­guard, many ex­pected a ham­mer­ing, but the hosts set out to de­fend deep and frus­trate their vis­i­tors.

But they couldn’t stop Power – seem­ingly a yard off­side – as he flicked Ben Mun­dele’s cross in.

Car­shal­ton’s af­ter­noon was far more com­fort­able how­ever, eas­ing to a 4-1 win over VCD Ath­letic. That in­cluded a dou­ble for Ola Sog­banmu, the first com­ing from a short corner rou­tine be­fore head­ing home five min­utes from the break. Green­wich Bor­ough, the other team to oc­cupy the play-off places, also picked up three points with Jack Barham fir­ing home from 12 yards, de­spite be­ing swarmed by

Herne Bay de­fend­ers. At the other end of the ta­ble, the gloom con­tin­ues to set in for Shore­ham, still with just five points to their name af­ter a 2-0 loss to Phoenix Sports.

Jack Barry’s su­perb tow­er­ing header opened the scor­ing in the first half, while Jeff DuahKessie kept his cool to fire low in­side the area. Mole­sey lost 2-1 to

Faver­sham Town while East Grin­stead picked up a vi­tal three points as Will Hoare fired home for the only goal against Rams­gate.

WIN­NER: Ron­nie Conlon

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.