Some interesting facts . . .
THE Camanachd Cup was first played for in 1896 with Kingussie beating Glasgow Cowal 2- 0 at Needlefield Park, Inverness.
At present, the tournament is contested by the eligible teams in North and South Division 1 and from 2014, National Division One, together with the teams in the Marine Harvest Premiership, who join the competition at the second round stage.
Traditionally, the trophy was competed for on a North/South basis with the best team from the north facing the best team from the south in the final.
However, in 1983. the open draw was introduced which resulted in the first, and until 2012, the only all-south final, between Kyles and Strachur. 1984 saw the first ever all-north final and first ever final clash between Badenoch rivals, Kingussie and Newtonmore.
Four teams have won the trophy three times in a row, Newtonmore, Kingussie, Kyles Athletic and Fort William.
The trophy itself was made after public donation in 1896 and, as befits such a Blue Riband event, the cup is designed and constructed by Hamilton and Inches, Edinburgh. The player on the lid was modelled from Jock Dallas who played for Kingussie.
In 2006, the ancient trophy made its way to New York City for the Tartan Day celebrations, the first time it had ever left Scotland.
The final is usually played on a rotation system, with An Aird in Fort William, the Bught Park in Inverness and Mossfield Stadium in Oban hosting the final. In recent years the final has also been held in Dunoon and at Old Anniesland in Glasgow.
The 2011 final was the first ever to go to extra time; no final has ever required penalties.
The Man of the Match has been awarded the Albert Smith Medal since 1972.