Two late goals see Ca­manachd re­tain their premier­ship place

Kin­gussie now play off against Kil­mallie at the Bught Park, In­ver­ness, on Novem­ber 28

The Oban Times - - Sport -

OBAN Ca­manachd se­cured their place in the Marine Har­vest Premier­hip com­ing from be­hind to de­feat Kin­gussie 2-1 at Moss­field last Satur­day.

The win means the red and blacks jump a point clear of Kin­gussie who were play­ing their last league game of the sea­son. The de­feat leaves the Bade­noch side to take on Kil­mallie in a play- off to see who will be in shinty’s top flight next sea­son.

Ca­manachd, still with­out the in­jured Keith MacMil­lan and top scorer An­drew ‘Papa’ MacCuish made light of this and recorded a fine win al­though not play­ing as well as they have done in re­cent weeks.

Mossi-field Sta­dium passed an early morn­ing pitch in­spec­tion af­ter the heavy overnight rain and, with the over­head con­di­tions fair, the stage was set for this im­por­tant fix­ture.

In front of a large crowd Ca­manachd were slow to start and Kin­gussie con­trolled much of the first half. The home team per­sisted in play­ing through the mid­dle which was eas­ily dealt with by Kin­gussie’s ex­pe­ri­enced de­fend­ers James Hutchi­son and Lee Bain and with John Gib­son con­trol­ling the vi­tal mid­field area it was no sur­prise when Ryan Borth­wick opened the scor­ing for the vis­i­tors.

The Oban side were lack­ing flu­ency in their play and Kin­gussie fully mer­ited their half time lead.

The start of the sec­ond half was more of the same with Ca­manacd in­sist­ing in play­ing the ball through the mid­dle which was hav­ing no ef­fect as Kin­gussie con­tin­ued to dom­i­nate the key ar­eas and looked com­fort­able al­though the lead was only 1- 0.

How­ever, with 15 min­utes to go, the game turned on its head when Ca­manachd man­ager Ian Hay moved Daniel Cameron up to first for­ward with Scott MacKil­lop tak­ing up Daniel’s de­fen­sive du­ties. This move seemed to un­set­tle the Kin­gussie defence and when Daniel was brought down in the box in the 84th minute a penalty was awarded by referee Robert Bax­ter af­ter con­sul­ta­tion with his goal judge.

How­ever, Lorne Dickie’s ef­fort was well saved by Kin­gussie keeper An­drew Daw­son, but Mal­com Clark, who had come on as a sub­sti­tute re­acted quickly and net­ted the re­bound to make the score 1-1 – game on.

With the Kin­gussie defence tir­ing and the home side now us­ing the width of the park their ex­pan­sive game was start­ing to pay div­i­dends and the red and blacks looked the more likely team to score – and this they did with only three min­utes of the match re­main­ing when an Ai­dan MacIn­tyre shot found the back of the net.

A shell-shocked Kin­gussie pushed for­ward to try and get back in the game but the Ca­manachd defence held firm with Gary McKer­racher and Garry Lord out­stand­ing. When referee Robert Bax­ter blew for full time it was the ju­bi­lant Oban Ca­manached play­ers and their sup­port­ers who cel­e­brated the re­al­i­sa­tion that premier­ship shinty will be played in Oban next sea­son.

It was a de­jected Kin­gussie team that trudged off Moss­field at the end of the 90 min­utes, but at least they still have their fu­ture in their own hands with the play- off game against Kil­mallie which will be held on Novem­ber 28 at the Bught Park, In­ver­ness.

It has been a re­mark­able turn­around for Ca­manachd who, for long pe­ri­ods of the sea­son, looked cer­tain to be rel­e­gated. The Oban side only had three points from their first eight games.

How­ever, a run of only one de­feat in eight games and with two games left, away to Kyles and a fi­nal home game against cham­pi­ons New­ton­more, the red and blacks will be look­ing for a good fin­ish to a re­mark­able sea­son. The Oban club can now look for­ward to their AGM in De­cem­ber in the knowl­edge that they will be play­ing premier­ship shinty next sea­son.


Cham­pi­ons NEW­TON­MORE took on sec­ond placed KYLES ATH­LETIC at the Ei­lan last Satur­day and emerged 4-1 win­ners.

’More took a 2- 0 half-time lead thanks to goals from Nor­man Camp­bell and Con­nor Jones.

The Bade­noch side in­creased their lead in the sec­ond half with fur­ther strikes from Fraser MacK­in­tosh and Paul MacArthur. Robbie MacLeod net­ted a con­so­la­tion goal with four min­utes re­main­ing in the match.

Both teams have one game left. Kyles play host to Oban Ca­manachd on Satur­day and New­ton­more travel to play the Oban side on Satur­day Novem­ber 14.

South Divi­sion One

BUTE took over top spot in South Divi­sion One on goal dif­fer­ence from Lochside Rovers with a 6-2 home win over STRA­CHUR.

The is­lan­ders took the lead through Robert Walker but Brian Dickie lev­elled on 40 min­utes to make the half time score 1-1.

How­ever, two goals in two min­utes from Robert Walker gave Bute a 3-1 lead. Brian Dickie net­ted his sec­ond goal of the af­ter­noon to re­duce the lee­way, but fur­ther goals from Gor­don MacMil­lan and two from Dun­can David­son gave Bute a com­fort­able 6-2 win. Bute play their fi­nal league game away to Oban Celtic on Satur­day. OBAN CELTIC trav­elled to Tghnabru­aich to take on KYLES ATH­LETIC last Satur­day but re­turned home on the wrong end of a 3-1 score­line. Dunkie Kerr opened the scor­ing for the home side but Lee Askew lev­elled on 50 min­utes. Two fur­ther Ru­pert Wil­liamson goals in the 62nd and 67th min­utes gave Kyles a 3-1 win.

Celtic play their last league game on Satur­day against Bute. The match will be played at Moss­field with a 1.30pm throw-up.

LOCHSIDE ROVERS’ game against Glenorchy was post­poned last Satur­day due to the Mart Park be­ing un­playable as was the sec­ond op­tion Gana­van. The game is sched­uled to take place at Dal­mally this week­end.

With Bute beat­ing Stra­chur 6-2 the is­lan­ders now top South Divi­sion One on goal dif­fer­ence from Lochside. Lochside man­ager Gareth Evans said: ‘All we can do is win our game against Glenorchy. Bute re­main favourites by virtue of hav­ing a bet­ter goal dif­fer­ence. Hav­ing said that they will not rel­ish com­ing to play Celtic.’

Photo: Neil Pater­son

WIN­NER: A sea­son- defin­ing mo­ment as Oban Ca­manachd’s Ai­dan MacIn­tyre shoots and scores the win­ning goal to keep his team in the

Marine Har­vest Premier­ship.


EQUALISER: Mal­com Clark nets the re­bound af­ter Kin­gussie keeper An­drew Daw­son had saved Lorne

Dickie’s penalty.

Photo: Neil Pater­son

NO WAY THROUGH: Ca­manachd de­fender Gary McKer­racher fends

off Kin­gussie’s Louis Munro.

Photo: Neil Pater­son

SPLASH: Oban Ca­manachd’s Con­nor Howe splashes through the

wa­ter to beat Kin­gussie’s James Hutchi­son to the ball.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.