Oban Hospice - An­gus’ story

The Oban Times - - Feature -

An­gus was re­ferred to Oban Hospice Community Ser­vices via the car­diac nurse spe­cial­ist in Novem­ber 2014.

He had a di­ag­no­sis of end stage heart fail­ure and lung fail­ure. He was strug­gling with iso­la­tion. We ap­plied to the life changes trust and se­cured £1,000 for An­gus to pay for taxi fares to travel to see his wife, who had de­men­tia, weekly. What a dif­fer­ence this made to An­gus as he said he was keep­ing to his mar­riage vows of be­ing able to, as much as pos­si­ble, care for his wife.

We ar­ranged for vol­un­teers to pick An­gus up and take him to the weekly lunch club and here he made new friends and met peo­ple he knew from his past. Vol­un­teers took him to the Gaelic singing group and he made friends with these vol­un­teers.

One of the many won­der­ful things about Oban Hospice Community Ser­vices vol­un­teers is they are help­ing be­cause of their will­ing­ness to help peo­ple.

BBC Alba were film­ing for Oban Hospice and came along to in­ter­view An­gus, speak­ing in Gaelic. An­gus loved talk­ing in Gaelic and thought him­self very im­por­tant to be on TV, telling any­one who would lis­ten to tune in.

Vol­un­teer Lisa vis­ited An­gus at home weekly, giv­ing emo­tional sup­port and talked about ev­ery­thing and any­thing - An­gus’ past, present and wor­ries about his fail­ing health and what his wishes for his death were. His wife’s de­men­tia was pro­gress­ing and when An­gus vis­ited and she didn’t know who he was this was dis­tress­ing for him. Lisa vis­ited him ev­ery week af­ter these vis­its so he could talk through these feel­ings. An­gus looked for­ward to Lisa’s vis­its very much and ap­pre­ci­ated the op­por­tu­nity to be able to share mean­ing­ful time. We held a party for him at the Car­ers’ Centre for his 79th birth­day and An­gus knew this would be his last.

Fur­ther ways in which we sup­ported An­gus were get­ting help with his fi­nances from the Wel­fare Rights Of­fi­cer, en­sur­ing he got a £ 3,000 re­fund on over­pay­ments. In the sum­mer we also gave him the loan of a mo­bil­ity scooter which had been do­nated to the Car­ers Centre. This en­abled him to go to Tesco and he was able to do his own shop­ping, some­thing he had not been able to do in a while. For a short time it gave him back his in­de­pen­dence.

An­gus’ health was de­te­ri­o­rat­ing and af­ter a num­ber of falls and be­ing in and out of hos­pi­tal, he was moved to Lynn of Lorne care home. We helped with his move and or­gan­ised the up­lift of oc­cu­pa­tional ther­apy equip­ment, tele­care en­abling oth­ers to ac­cess his home. We sup­ported him emo­tion­ally through this dif­fi­cult tran­si­tion into a care home and vis­ited him weekly to help him set­tle in. Less than a month af­ter his move to Lynn of Lorne An­gus passed away. We sup­ported An­gus for less than a year in the last months of his life, giv­ing all the emo­tional, prac­ti­cal and so­cial sup­port that he needed and he was grate­ful for the in­ter­ven­tion from Oban Hospice community ser­vices, as were his fam­ily.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.