Marine Har­vest Premier­ship

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Oban Ca­manachd 1 Kyles Ath­letic 0

Oban Ca­manachd con­tin­ued their im­pres­sive league form with a hard-fought vic­tory over Ar­gyll ri­vals Kyles Ath­letic. which moves the Oban side up to joint sec­ond place in the Premier­ship.

The Oban side were with­out Scott MacKil­lop, Andrew ‘Papa’ MacCuish and Daniel MacVicar for the game but in­cluded re­cent sign­ing Marc MacCal­lum who started on the bench.

Both teams started the game in de­ter­mined fash­ion although the play was scrappy at times on the fiery Moss­field pitch with lit­tle to choose be­tween the sides. The ex­pan­sive game that has served the teams so well this sea­son was not ap­par­ent as both sides strug­gled with the con­di­tions.

The goal that even­tu­ally de­cided the game was it­self a scrappy one from a long mid­field strike from Scott MacMil­lan which eluded the Kyles de­fence and goal­keeper.

Daniel Cameron, for so long an iso­lated fig­ure up front for the home side, had a sim­ple tap-in to put his team 1- 0 up, a lead they held on to as ref­eree David Mitchell blew for half­time.

The sec­ond half, as ex­pected, saw Kyles move up a gear but lack­ing a cut­ting edge up front.

Ca­manachd, for their part, used the wide open spa­ces to good ef­fect with sound link-up play be­tween mid­field and the for­ward line with Ai­dan MacIn­tyre, David Laf­ferty and Scott MacMil­lan prom­i­nent.

Kyles pressed for the equaliser in the last quar­ter of the game but the de­fen­sive unit of Gary Lord, Gary MacKer­racher, James MacMil­lan and Ross MacMil­lan held firm although keeper Gavin Sto­b­bart made a cou­ple of good saves to keep the home side ahead.

Ca­manachd had a chance to ease the pres­sure af­ter good in­ter­play from Con­nor Howe, Mal­colm Clark and sub Ian ‘Gussie’ Camp­bell but to no avail and in the end it was a re­lieved home side who picked up the two points when the fi­nal whis­tle sounded.

Com­mented man­ager Ian Hay: ‘ We were not at our best to­day. How­ever, this re­sult moves us into sec­ond place in the league as we ap­proach the half-way point. We have put ourselves in a po­si­tion to of­fer a se­ri­ous chal­lenge in both the league as well as the Scot­tish Cup.’

Glenurquhart 2 Lo­vat 5

Lo­vat took the points thanks to a 5-2 win over Glenurquhart in their 1pm throw up at Blair­beg.

Glenurquhart suf­fered a blow go­ing into the game when John Barr and Andrew Cor­ri­gan were stranded in Nor­way where they work. Ar­ran Mac­Don­ald and Eddie Tembo were also miss­ing from the squad while Michael Brady started at full for­ward. Iain MacLeod was on the bench.

Lo­vat were still with­out cap­tain Drew Howie, who was still side­lined with a broken col­lar-bone. Martin Main­land was still out with a broken foot while Greg Mathe­son, still not fully fit, was an un­used sub­sti­tute. Cal­lum Cru­den was back in the side at full cen­tre whilst Kevin Bartlett re­turned in at­tack. For­mer Scot­land boss Fraser MacKen­zie is also now in­volved with the Bal­gate side. The for­mer Glenurquhart co-man­ager was on the touch­line along with boss John MacRitchie.

The Glen were quick out of the blocks and Neale Reid tested Lo­vat keeper Stu­art Mac­Don­ald af­ter just 20 sec­onds.

How­ever, it was Lo­vat who took the lead af­ter four min­utes when Kevin Bartlett, with his back to goal, wheeled round and he shot low into the net to make it 1- 0.

Glen’s Fraser Heath turned his marker on 13 min­utes but his shot scraped the top of the cross­bar.

Lo­vat’s long in­jury list got worse on 24 min­utes. Michael MacKen­zie and Fraser Heath were chal­leng­ing for a ball and Craig Main­land moved in to tackle but fell awk­wardly. He was in ob­vi­ous dis­com­fort and ref­eree Evan MacRae held the match up for 40 min­utes un­til an am­bu­lance ar­rived and it was later con­firmed that Main­land had suf­fered a dis­lo­cated shoul­der and broken col­lar bone and so faces a pe­riod on the side­lines. Scott MacKen­zie came on in at­tack with Lorne MacKay go­ing to full cen­tre and Cal­lum Cru­den slot­ting back into de­fence.

Shortly af­ter the game restarted, Kevin Bartlett brought a good save with his ca­man out of Glen goalie Stu­art MacK­in­tosh.

A Calum Ma­cAulay cor­ner on 27 min­utes fell for Kevin Bartlett and his shot clipped the top of the cross­bar.

The home side drew level on 39 min­utes. Stu­art Mac­Don­ald saved a Con­nor Go­labeck shot and Michael Brady sent the re­bound goal­wards with Fraser Heath get­ting the fi­nal touch to knock the ball over the line to make it 1-1.

The first ac­tion of the sec­ond half saw Ally MacK­in­tosh stride for­ward from the Glen full cen­tre po­si­tion and his shot from the edge of the D went just over the top.

Lo­vat re­gained the lead on 51 min­utes. Lorne MacKay got his stick to an at­tempted clear­ance out of the Glen de­fence and the ball fell kindly for Graeme MacMil­lan and, with only the keeper to beat, he fired the ball into the back of the net to make it 2-1.

The vis­i­tors ex­tended their lead on 53 min­utes when Calum Ma­cAulay ran out to the Lo­vat right wing to get onto a long ball from the cen­tre line and his first-time shot nes­tled into the back of the net to make it 3-1.

Stu­art Mac­Don­ald made a su­perb save with his feet on 58 min­utes to keep out a Neale Reid strike from close range.

Glenurquhart in­tro­duced Michael Fraser in place of David MacLen­nan on 67 min­utes. Ally MacK­in­tosh went to wing cen­tre, Fraser Heath dropped back to full cen­tre and sub­sti­tute Fraser joined the at­tack.

When Lorne MacKay was fouled a cou­ple of min­utes later, he took the free-hit him­self and found Kevin Bartlett in space on the Lo­vat left. Bartlett had time to tee the ball up be­fore send­ing a blis­ter­ing shot past a help­less Stu­art MacK­in­tosh to make it 4-1.

Glenurquhart made an­other change with youth player Fin­lay Ral­ston re­plac­ing Michael Brady on 72 min­utes.

A minute later, Calum Ma­cAulay was first onto a ball across the edge of the D and his pow­er­ful first-time shot flew into the net to make it 5-1.

Lo­vat made a switch on 76 min­utes with Euan Fer­gu­son com­ing on for Graeme MacMil­lan.

With 10 min­utes re­main­ing, a long ball into the goal­mouth wasn’t dealt with by the Lo­vat de­fence and Neale Reid tapped the ball home from close-in.

Con­nor Go­labeck was good for Glenurquhart while Lewis Tawse and Michael MacKen­zie, who was tasked with shad­ow­ing Fraser Heath, shone for Lo­vat.

The win lifts Lo­vat to fourth in the league and they only trail sec­ond placed New­ton­more and third placed Kyles Ath­letic on goal dif­fer­ence. Glenurquhart are in ninth place. They are only a point be­hind Skye Ca­manachd but they have played two matches more.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.