Cup ac­tion and change at top of pre­mier­ship

The Oban Times - - Sport -

KYLES Ath­letic reached the Artemis Macau­lay Cup semi-fi­nals, the Kin­gussie and New­ton­more re­serve teams will meet in the Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Fi­nal and New­ton­more re­turned to the top of the Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day July 2.

Artemis Macau­lay Cup quar­ter­fi­nals

Kyles Ath­letic 5 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 0

Kyles Ath­letic are through to the Artemis Macau­lay Cup semi-fi­nals after beat­ing Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 5- 0 at Tighnabru­aich.

Kyles Ath­letic wel­comed An­drew King back into their squad after in­jury, which is a boost ahead of this com­ing week­end’s Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nal tie at home to Lochaber.

GMA’s re­sources were stretched and they trav­elled with just 13 play­ers. They were with­out the banned John McNulty, the in­jured Brian Slat­tery and Euan Mur­ray, as well as Mark Bain.

Kyles’ class told and Gor­don Whyte scored on 12 and 15 min­utes to put his side 2- 0 ahead. Sandy MacKen­zie added a third on 31 min­utes.

Ron­nie MacLeod on the hour and Grant Irvine, a cou­ple of min­utes from time, rounded off the 5- 0 win.

Kyles Ath­letic will now meet In­ver­aray in the Artemis Macau­lay Cup semi-fi­nals in a tie sched­uled for Satur­day July 23.

Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup – semi fi­nals

Glenurquhart 1 Kin­gussie 2

The Kin­gussie re­serves edged out Glenurquhart re­serves 2-1 at Bught Park to reach the 2016 Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Fi­nal.

Kin­gussie had the wind ad­van­tage in the first half and they went 1- 0 ahead through Roddy Young after 25 min­utes.

Glen’s James MacPher­son was prov­ing a hand­ful against Kin­gussie’s Rory Fraser though and he went close on more than one oc­ca­sion.

There were chances at the other end too with Kevin Thain pass­ing up a cou­ple of op­por­tu­ni­ties.

Kin­gussie went 2- 0 ahead against the run of play on 70 min­utes with Kevin Thain scor­ing.

Ref­eree John Wood awarded Glenurquhart a penalty five min­utes later when Kings’ keeper Robert Shiells was ad­judged to have fallen on the ball. James MacPher­son hit a low spot-hit which was saved by the keeper but Calum Smith bun­dled the re­bound into the net to make it 2-1.

Kin­gussie did enough to de­serve the win though, cre­at­ing the bet­ter chances in the game.

Tay­forth 0 New­ton­more 7

The New­ton­more sec­onds were too strong for Tay­forth, win­ning 7- 0 in their 1pm throw up at Sil­ver Sands.

Three early goals had ’More in con­trol as Dar­rin Fowler on two min­utes, David Cheyne on four min­utes and Craig MacLeod on six min­utes had them 3- 0 ahead.

A sec­ond goal from Dar­rin Fowler on 16 min­utes and like­wise from David Cheyne three min­utes later made it 5- 0 and ended the tie as a con­test.

Scott Camp­bell made it 6- 0 on 39 min­utes and Dun­can Gor­man net­ted with the only goal of the sec­ond half on 77 min­utes.

The New­ton­more side in­cluded some promis­ing young­sters as well as the ex­pe­ri­enced Scott Camp­bell, David Cheyne, Kenny Ross, Cameron Bin­nie, Ackie MacRae and John MacKen­zie, mak­ing them a match for any team at this level.

Alan Har­ri­son was match ref­eree.

New­ton­more now face Kin­gussie in a re­serve team derby in the 2016 Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Fi­nal.

Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship Divi­sion

New­ton­more 3 Lochaber 1

With Oban Ca­manachd not in ac­tion, New­ton­more took the chance to re­turn to the top of the Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship with a 3-1 win over Lochaber at the Ei­lan.

New­ton­more de­fender Michael Rus­sell was free of sus­pen­sion and Glen MacK­in­tosh, al­though per­haps not yet fully fit, played at full for­ward. Evan Men­zies was banned for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old, Rory Kennedy was un­well and in­jury ruled out Andy MacK­in­tosh and Fraser MacK­in­tosh.

Lochaber de­fender Jack Dig­nan re­mained on the in­jury list whilst buck­shee for­ward Kevin Fer­gu­son served the sec­ond game of a two-match ban. Full back Lach­lan Camp­bell was free of his sus­pen­sion.

With the Ei­lan pitch in ex­cel­lent con­di­tion, Iain Robin­son put New­ton­more ahead on 33 min­utes. A loop­ing ball from Paul MacArthur dropped into the ‘D’ and Robin­son was first to re­act to make it 1- 0.

That was the main ac­tion from a pretty low-key first half.

Lochaber shocked their hosts when they equalised through Zandz Fer­gu­son on 49 min­utes.

’More went back in front just four min­utes later. An­other loop­ing ball caught Lochaber full back Lachie Camp­bell in no-man’s land and, as the ball dropped over the Lochaber de­fender, an un­marked Glen MacK­in­tosh took ad­van­tage and slot­ted the ball home from just out­side the ‘D’ to make it 2-1.

New­ton­more sealed the win on the hour thanks to a nice Chris Sel­lar half-vol­ley on the turn which saw the ball nes­tle in the bot­tom cor­ner of the net.

Next up for New­ton­more is a Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nal tie against Skye Ca­manachd at the Ei­lan this com­ing Satur­day.

Lochaber are also in the last eight of shinty’s blue riband com­pe­ti­tion when they travel to Tighnabru­aich to face Kyles Ath­letic.

Kin­lochshiel 4 Kin­gussie 1

Kin­lochshiel go sec­ond in the league after they beat Kin­gussie 4-1 at Kirk­ton.

The home side went in front four min­utes be­fore the break when Jor­dan Fraser fed the ball to Oliver MacRae who turned and sent the ball past the keeper to make it 1- 0.

The sec­ond half was just a minute old when Keith MacRae went on a good run and fin­ished well to dou­ble ’Shiel’s ad­van­tage.

A good pass from Dun­can ‘DA’ MacRae set up Jor­dan Fraser for Kin­lochshiel’s third on 64 min­utes and, just three min­utes later, John MacRae lashed the ball home from just in­side the ‘D’ mean­ing all four home for­wards had found the back of the net.

Kin­gussie pulled a goal back a cou­ple of min­utes from time through Savio Genini, his sixth goal in the last three games, to make it 4-1.

Kin­lochshiel only trail league lead­ers New­ton­more on goal dif­fer­ence but they have played four games more.

Fort Wil­liam 2 Skye Ca­manachd 2

A Jor­dan Murchi­son dou­ble against Fort Wil­liam at An Aird earned Skye Ca­manachd their sixth draw in their seven league fix­tures this sea­son.

Fort Wil­liam co-man­agers Vic­tor Smith and Adam Robert­son were boosted by Ar­ran MacPhee’s re­turn to the first team squad last week­end after a long in­jury lay- off, whist Ste­vie Ste­wart was back for this one.

Skye Ca­manachd man­ager John MacLeod made two changes to his squad. Chris MacLen­nan was out with a bro­ken fin­ger whilst Neil MacVicar was a late in­jury call- off. They were re­placed by John Gil­lies and Kenny Camp­bell.

The 3pm throw-up was de­layed as the goals had to be repo­si­tioned after the ear­lier match be­tween Fort Wil­liam and Kin­lochshiel re­serves had left the goal mouths muddy.

Skye took the lead on 17 min­utes. James Pringle was fouled in­side the ‘ D’ when through on goal and ref­eree Gra­ham Cameron pointed to the penalty spot. Jor­dan Murchi­son made no mis­take from the re­sul­tant spot-hit.

Fort Wil­liam drew level on 31 min­utes when Bryan Simp­son cre­ated just enough space 20 yards from goal to fire in a low drive which evaded Jamie Gan­non in the Skye goal.

There were chances at both ends be­fore Fort Wil­liam’s Sea­mus Gall, who had also played in the day’s ear­lier match against Kin­lochshiel, sent a lofted ball from 15 yards which de­ceived Skye keeper Jamie Gan­non to make it 2-1 with 64 min­utes played.

Skye equalised with just three min­utes re­main­ing when an Iain Mur­ray cor­ner from the right fell at the feet of Jor­dan Murchi­son at the edge of the ‘D’ and he blasted the ball past Paul MacKay in the Fort goal to make it 2-2.

Lo­vat 0 Glenurquhart 1

Glenurquhart col­lected two valu­able league points thanks to a 1- 0 derby win over Lo­vat at Bal­gate.

Lo­vat were still with­out the in­jured Drew Howie and Craig Main­land but Kevin Bartlett re­turned after miss­ing his team’s last two fix­tures.

Glenurquhart’s David MacLen­nan served a one-match ban for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old. John Barr went to full back in a re­vamped de­fence with Fraser Heath at buck­shee back. Ar­ran MacDon­ald was full cen­tre with Lewis MacLen­nan in at­tack.

There were near misses at ei­ther end, from Lo­vat’s Kevin Bartlett and Glen’s Neale Reid, be­fore Glenurquhart had to make a change mid-way through the half with Ally MacK­in­tosh com­ing on for James Hur­wood, who had taken an early knock. MacK­in­tosh went to wing cen­tre with Euan Lloyd drop­ping back into de­fence.

The game’s de­ci­sive goal came after 51 min­utes when Lewis MacLen­nan peeled away to get on the end of a cross from the right from the ex­cel­lent Con­nor Go­labeck. MacLen­nan took a touch be­fore send­ing a bul­let shot from 12 yards out into the net to make it 1- 0.

The vis­i­tors, who seemed stronger when play­ing against the wind in the sec­ond half, al­most dou­bled their lead on 54 min­utes when a Neale Reid shot from the edge of the ‘D’ pro­duced a fine re­flex save from Stu­art MacDon­ald just in­side his post.

Both sides made changes on the hour. Martin Main­land re­placed Calum MacAu­lay for Lo­vat, with Main­land go­ing to wing cen­tre and Lewis Tawse mov­ing up front. Glenurquhart re­placed Ar­ran MacDon­ald with Michael Brady. Brady went up front and Michael Fraser took on the full cen­tre role and looked com­fort­able in the posi- tion he starred in as a young­ster. A Michael Brady shot came back off the post on 63 min­utes with Lo­vat goalie Stu­art MacDon­ald get­ting the mer­est touch to the ball with his ca­man.

An in­jured Danny Kelly, who by this time had switched from buck­shee back to full cen­tre, came off with Scott MacKen­zie com­ing on and Martin Main­land go­ing to full cen­tre.

Lo­vat, with Ryan Fer­gu­son strong in mid­field, threw ev­ery­thing at Glenurquhart in the clos­ing 10 min­utes.

There was a mo­ment of con­tro­versy on 87 min­utes. Lo­vat for­ward Greg Mathe­son charged in to try and get on a re­bound after Stu­art MacK­in­tosh had made a save. With the ball in the air, and the ‘Glen’ try­ing to clear the dan­ger, Mathe­son was felled after tak­ing a blow to the head.

Ref­eree Innes Wood spoke to the goal judge and awarded Lo­vat a penalty. Kevin Bartlett took the spot-hit but keeper MacK­in­tosh got his left knee to the ball to keep it out.

Ninth-placed Glenurquhart now only trail eighth-placed Skye Ca­manachd on goal dif­fer­ence al­though the is­landers have three games in hand. Lochaber are a point ahead in sev­enth spot.

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion

Bal­lachul­ish 0 In­ver­aray 8

In­ver­aray stay top of shinty’s sec­ond tier after they de­feated Bal­lachul­ish 8- 0 at Ju­bilee Park.

Scott MacDon­ald was banned for Balla’ whist John MacDon­ald was also miss­ing from the side which beat Bute a fort­night ear­lier lead­ing to boss Don­ald Wil­son field­ing a young side.

In­ver­aray were eight play­ers short from their Gre­gor Cameron Con­sul­tancy Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup Fi­nal squad a week ear­lier.

An­drew McMurdo was sus­pended and, with an in­jured David MacPher­son as­sist­ing from the side­lines, player/man­ager Ruar­idh Gra­ham also fielded a young side with an av­er­age age of 22 or 19 if you ex­clude the boss. There were places for U17 play­ers Al­lan Cameron, Robert Wood, Kieran Kirkhope and Hamish McLen­nan, with 15-year- old Ruar­idh Gra­ham link­ing up well with his fa­ther in at­tack and play­ing his first full 90 min­utes for the se­nior side.

Fraser Watt got In­ver­aray off to a great start with a goal after two min­utes. Alan MacDon­ald added a sec­ond on 14 min­utes with a Lewis Mont­gomery strike on the half-hour giv­ing In­ver­aray a 3- 0 ad­van­tage at half time.

Watt got his sec­ond on 54 min­utes be­fore In­ver­aray scored three times in three min­utes to go out of sight. Watt com­pleted his hat-trick on 75 min­utes, while Lewis Mont­gomery got his sec­ond a minute later and Ruar­idh Gra­ham made it 7- 0 on 77 min­utes.

The Win­ter­ton side kept things sim­ple and they were good to watch. It was a com­pre­hen­sive win and Ross Mont­gomery had a good game at buck­shee back.

Bal­lachul­ish goalie Cameron Suther­land more than jus­ti­fied his se­lec­tion for the Scot­land U17 squad with a num­ber of fine saves.

Beauly 5 Bute 0

Beauly go sec­ond in the Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship after they beat Bute 5- 0 in their 1pm throw up at Brae­view Park.

Beauly boss Steven Ma­cLean had Bar­rie MacDon­ald back after a long in­jury lay- off and Marc MacLach­lan’s scor­ing ex­ploits with the re­serve team earned him a call up.

Jamie MacLen­nan, Sandy El­rick and Liam Mutch were miss­ing.

Two goals in two min­utes from Jack MacDon­ald set­tled the home sup­port.

First MacDon­ald col­lected a Ross Forbes shy from the left be­fore send­ing a blis­ter­ing drive across Bute keeper Kevin Queen into the net.

Then, just a minute later, the Scot­land U21 cap, sent a low shot through a ruck on play­ers past a help­less keeper to make it 2- 0.

Conor Ross crashed a Rob­bie Brindle cor­ner into the net to make it 3- 0 on 23 min­utes and worse was to fol­low for Bute five min­utes be­fore the break when a Jack MacDon­ald shot was de­flected into his own net by Ian McDon­ald.

Beauly added to their tally once more 15 min­utes from time. This time Ian McDon­ald put in a block­ing chal­lenge to try and pre­vent a low Conor Ross shot at goal but the ball came off the un­lucky de­fender and ended up in the net, giv­ing him the un­usual feat of scor­ing two own goals in one match.

Beauly are now two points be­hind lead­ers In­ver­aray but they have a game in hand. The win sets Beauly up nicely for this com­ing week­end’s Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nal against Kin­lochshiel at Kirk­ton.

Kil­mallie 5 In­ver­ness 2

Kil­mallie only trail sec­ond -placed Beauly on goal dif­fer­ence after they beat In­ver­ness 5-2 at Canal Parks.

Kil­mallie’s Peter Carmichael and Michael Rodger were sus­pended, whilst Martin Ste­wart, Liam MacDon­ald, Mark Gra­ham, Liam Cameron and keeper Shane Gil­lies were also miss­ing. For­mer goalie Kevin Toye an­swered the call to re­turn in goal.

Craig Ni­chol­son and Somhairle MacDon­ald were amongst the In­ver­ness ab­sen­tees along with Davie Dun­can, Davie Glass, David Camp­bell, Liam Gir­van and young­ster Wil­liam MacKin­non.

Brian MacKay put Kil­mallie in front on 20 min­utes but a ter­rific Char­lie MacDon­ald strike from a tight an­gle evened things up on 34 min­utes.

Brian MacKay got his and Kil­mallie’s sec­ond a cou­ple of min­utes later and al­though In­ver­ness forced a cou­ple of good Kevin Toye saves, a Dun­can Rodger strike on 43 min­utes gave the home side a 3-1 ad­van­tage at the break.

Kil­mallie ex­tended their lead a minute into the sec­ond half when Brian MacKay com­pleted his hat-trick to make it 4-1.

There was a first goal at se­nior level for Kil­mallie U17 full cen­tre Calum MacDougall on 61 min­utes.

James Cameron re­duced the deficit when he made it 5-2 just three min­utes from time with a good strike from the edge of the ‘D’ fol­low­ing a cor­ner.

Kil­mallie, who have games in hand on the teams above them in the league, now have a Ca­manachd Cup last- eight tie against Oban Ca­manachd this com­ing week­end at Canal Parks to look for­ward to.

In­ver­ness only have three matches re­main­ing this sea­son. They have a home league meet­ing with Bal­lachul­ish sched­uled for the end of the month with away league games against Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll and Bute to fol­low.

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1

Skye Ca­manachd 1 Strath­glass 7

Strath­glass stay top of the ta­ble after beat­ing Skye Ca­manachd 7-1 at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Skye boss Davie Pringle made four changes to the squad which beat the Lochaber sec­onds in their Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup tie at Spean Bridge a fort­night ear­lier.

Keeper Iain MacLeod re­turned in goal whilst Ryan Mor­ri­son started in at­tack. There were also places for vet­eran Al­lan MacLeod, who took up the buck­shee back po­si­tion, and young­ster Ross Gor­don who started on the bench.

Ally ‘Spod’ MacLeod was with the first team, John An­gus MacInnes was on hol­i­day whilst U17 play­ers Jamie Gil­lies and Martin Pringle were left out.

Strath­glass boss Dave Bal­harry had seen his side con­tinue their im­prove­ment from last sea­son.

The Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 ta­ble-top­pers are the only un­beaten side in the divi­sion, win­ning seven of their nine league matches go­ing into this en­counter.

Bal­harry was also with­out some reg­u­lars in­clud­ing Michael Stokes and Adam Todd.

Strath­glass started well but Skye came back into the match and there wasn’t much be­tween the teams as the first half moved into the fi­nal 10 min­utes.

Strath­glass grabbed a grip of the game, how­ever, as Scott Dou­glas slot­ted home a re­bound on 36 min­utes and Lewis Dou­glas made it 2- 0 a minute later.

Strath­glass sub­sti­tute Josh Fraser knocked the ball home from close range fol­low­ing a goal mouth scram­ble on 40 min­utes to make it 3- 0 at the break.

Skye made changes and the interval but the Can­nich side ex­tended their ad­van­tage on 51 min­utes when Scott Dou­glas was al­lowed too much space and turned to send a low shot into the net.

Josh Fraser got his sec­ond on the hour to make it 5- 0 after a Scott Dou­glas shot fol­low­ing a free-hit had been saved by Skye keeper Iain MacLeod.

Skye pulled a goal back on 79 min­utes when U14 player Ross Gor­don fired in a low shot from the left to notch his first goal at sec­ond team level.

Strath­glass fin­ished strongly though and Dar­ren Reid col­lected a Scott Dou­glas pass to score the goal of the game on 81 min­utes with a thump­ing 22yard shot into the roof of the net.

Strath­glass sub­sti­tute Penri Jones got the big­gest cheer of the day when the 15-year- old slot­ted home a re­bound fol­low­ing a Barry John Phimis­ter shot a minute from time to make it 7-1.

Strath­glass are now two points ahead of the New­ton­more sec­ond team, al­though they have played a game more.

Fort Wil­liam 1 Kin­lochshiel 2

The Kin­lochshiel colts move off the bot­tom of the ta­ble after beat­ing the Fort Wil­liam colts 2-1 in their noon throw up at An Aird.

Scott Ma­cLean put ’ Shiel in front on 10 min­utes with a rare back­hand shot from 20 yards out

Fort’s Jor­dan Mor­ri­son was the busier of the two keep­ers and he made good saves from Neil Fraser and Scott Ma­cLean.

Fort Wil­liam, who had 10 youth play­ers in their 15-man squad, started to come more into the game as the first half went on and they de­served to draw level on 25 min­utes thanks to a thun­der­ous drive from young Grant Disher who cut in from the left be­fore driv­ing an un­stop­pable low show which beat vet­eran ’Shiel keeper Gra­ham Kennedy at his left-hand post.

Fort Wil­liam in­tro­duced Neil Robert­son into their de­fence to mark the in­flu­en­tial Neil Fraser at full for­ward.

Ref­eree John An­gus Gil­lies awarded ’Shiel a penalty 10 min­utes into the sec­ond half fol­low­ing con­sul­ta­tion with his goal judge after ’Shiel sub­sti­tute WD MacRae had been im­peded in­side the ‘D’.

Neil Fraser put the re­sul­tant spot-hit high into the roof of the net to make it 2-1.

Dun­can ‘Ach’ MacRae missed a chance to make it 3-1 on 80 min­utes when he was put clean through on goal but he took an ex­tra touch to go round the keeper and sent his shot wide of the post.

This was a very com­pet­i­tive match with two even teams play­ing good shinty.

It was played in good spir­its de­spite the slip­pery sur­face caused by heavy show­ers be­fore and dur­ing the match.

Nathan Whear stood out at buck­shee back for ’Shiel and Chris Bam­ber showed his ex­pe­ri­ence at buck­shee for­ward for the Fort.

It’s very tight at the bot­tom of the ta­ble with Fort Wil­liam now above Glenurquhart on goal dif­fer­ence on five points and Skye above Lo­vat on goal dif­fer­ence on four points.

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1

Taynuilt 0 Lochside Rovers 4

Lochside Rovers, Oban Ca­manachd’s re­serve team, stay top of South Divi­sion 1 after a con­vinc­ing win against Taynuilt.

In the ab­sence of team man­ager Gareth Evans, David MacCuish was in charge. On the play­ing side, keeper ‘Beano’ Lo­gan and Ross MacMil­lan were un­avail­able, but Scott MacMil­lan and David Laf­ferty from the se­nior squad were in­cluded.

Taynuilt play­ing field was in ex­cel­lent con­di­tion and Lochside made a pos­i­tive start and were two goals to the good through Lewis Buchanan after 20 min­utes.

This spurred the home side into ac­tion but with the mid­field trio of Evan McLen­nan, Robert Alexan­der and Daniel MacCuish con­trol­ling the mid­field it proved to be a dif­fi­cult task for the home side who showed plenty of en­deav­our.

It was the league lead­ers who went in at half-time with a twogoal lead that could have been more but for some ex­cel­lent saves by the home keeper.

The sec­ond half was more of the same with Lochside look­ing to in­crease their lead and it was no sur­prise when two fur­ther goals from Michael MacQueen com­pleted the scor­ing al­though to their credit Taynuilt came back at Lochside but found the de­fen­sive unit of Christo­pher Macmil­lan, Craig Kilpatrick, Scott MacMil­lan and Jor­dan Kerr in no mood to con­cede.

Any­time the home for­wards breached the Lochside de­fence they came up against stand-in keeper Scott Buchanan in good form.

The game was well han­dled by Archie Ritchie.

This re­sult sets up a tense fin­ish to South Divi­sion 1 with Lochside, Oban Celtic and Ab- er­dour, who are still un­beaten, all in con­tention. They all have to play each other which will make for an in­ter­est­ing fin­ish to the league.

Lochside have no game next week as the fo­cus turns to Oban Ca­manachd who travel to Lochaber to play Kil­mallie in the quar­ter fi­nal of the Ca­manachd Cup.

Team man­ager Ian Hay will have a full squad to choose from for this im­por­tant fix­ture. With Kil­mallie go­ing well at the mo­ment, Ca­manachd will need to be at their best for what is a dif­fi­cult tie with a semi-fi­nal place up for grabs.

Aber­dour 2 Oban Celtic 1

Aber­dour main­tained their un­beaten record when they came from a goal down to beat Oban Celtic 2-1 in their 1pm throw up at Sil­ver Sands.

Aber­dour’s Fin­lay Wil­liamson started a two-match sus­pen­sion fol­low­ing his red card against Glenorchy a fort­night ear­lier.

The vis­i­tors started with the wind in their favour and Neil Carmichael pun­ished some slack­ness in the home de­fence to put Oban Celtic ahead on 32 min­utes, a lead they car­ried into the break.

Aber­dour, now with the .el­e­ments in their favour, lev­elled on 67 min­utes. Roddy McColl col­lected pos­ses­sion at the edge of the ‘D’ fol­low­ing a scram­ble in­side the box and steered the ball low into the net to make it 1-1.

The goal sparked the Oban side into life and they went all out to re­gain the lead.

The Aber­dour de­fence stood firm though and when the win­ning goal came, it was at the other end.

It was the ir­re­press­ible Roddy MacColl who got his and Aber­dour’s sec­ond just six min­utes from time when he crashed the ball high into the net to give the home side the win.

They re­main just a point off lead­ers Lochside Rovers with three games in hand.

Col Glen 2 Kyles Ath­letic 8

Kyles Ath­letic’s sec­ond team re­turned from Glen­daruel with both points fol­low­ing an 8-2 tri­umph over Col Glen.

An­gus Churchill and Rhys Camp­bell scored for the home team. On tar­get for Kyles were Con­nor Gi­u­dici, Fraser Wil­liamson (2), Kyle Mcmartin, Bran­don Wil­son and Martin McFadyen, hat-trick. The win lifts Kyles to fifth in the divi­sion, a point be­hind fourth-placed Col Glen, but the Tighnabru­aich side has four games in hand.

Glenorchy P In­ver­aray P

The meet­ing be­tween Glenorchy and the In­ver­aray sec­ond team at Mart Park was post­poned as a num­ber of first team ab­sen­tees meant the In­ver­aray re­serves were un­able to raise a team.

The match will be resched­uled for a later date.

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2

Aberdeen Univer­sity 4 Lochcar­ron 2

League lead­ers Aberdeen Univer­sity recorded a sig­nif­i­cant vic­tory in their ti­tle quest when they beat sec­ond-placed Lochcar­ron 4-2 at Bal­go­wnie.

Lochcar­ron were with­out the sus­pended David MacCuish and Sean MacCuish.

Alan MacKay scored twice for Lochcar­ron but Alex Dun­can, two from Ewan Fraser and a Stu­art Cameron ef­fort gave the Aberdeen side the win.

Aberdeen Univer­sity are now eight points ahead of sec­ond­placed Lochcar­ron who have a cou­ple of games in hand.

Lewis Ca­manachd 5 Lochaber 4

Lewis Ca­manachd recorded their first league win of the sea­son as they beat Lochaber 5- 4 in a thrilling en­counter at Shaw­bost.

Both sides went close early in the match be­fore Keith Neville gave Lochaber the lead after a cor­ner on 19 min­utes.

Lewis lev­elled on 27 min­utes when Ally La­mont and Scott MacLeod com­bined to set up player/man­ager Dun­can Mac­In­tyre who sent the ball low into the cor­ner of the net.

It took a good Eoghan Ste­wart save to pre­vent Keith Neville putting the Spean Bridge out­fit back in front be­fore Ally La­mont slipped the ball to Dun­can Mac­In­tyre who got his sec­ond to make it 2-1 on 32 min­utes.

Lewis had their tails up and Scott MacLeod made it 3-1 three min­utes later fol­low­ing a Con­nor Chalmers cor­ner.

There was more to come from the home side on 38 min­utes when Don­ald La­mont thumped a re-bound into the net to make it 4-1.

There was a Lewis Ca­manachd de­but for Steven Mor­ri­son who re­placed a winded Scott MacLeod.

Keith Neville got his and Lo- chaber’s sec­ond goal a minute be­fore the break to make it 4-2 at the interval.

Keith Neville com­pleted his hat-trick on 51 min­utes to nar­row the deficit to a sin­gle goal.

Lochaber looked set to take a point when Keith Neville got his fourth goal of the af­ter­noon to make it 4- 4.

There were chances at both ends be­fore Don­ald La­mont be­come the Lewis hero as he sent a back-hand ef­fort into the net to make it 5- 4 with just three min­utes re­main­ing.

‘The Shinty Ref­eree’ Henry MacInnes blew the fi­nal whis­tle shortly after to give Lewis the two points which move them off the bot­tom of the ta­ble.

Strath­spey Ca­manachd 1 Bole­sk­ine 2

Two early Neil Hope goals gave Bole­sk­ine a 2-1 win over Strath­spey Ca­manachd at Kin­craig.

Neil Hope put Bole­sk­ine in front on 12 min­utes and made it 2- 0 on 31 min­utes.

It stayed that way un­til five min­utes from time when Keith Cal­lum pulled a goal back for Strath­spey.

Bole­sk­ine saw out the clos­ing stages, how­ever, and only trail sixth-placed Glen­garry on goal dif­fer­ence.

Caber­feidh P Kil­mallie P

The match be­tween the Caber­feidh sec­onds and the Kil­mallie sec­onds at Cas­tle Leod was post­poned after both teams agreed to resched­ule the match for a later date.

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2

Oban Lorn 1 Kil­mory 5

Kil­mory re­turn to the top of the ta­ble after they beat Oban Lorn 5-1 at Gana­van.

Hal Jones and Ally Cun­ning­ham both scored twice for Kil­mory with David MacAl­lis­ter get­ting the other.

Shaun MacIver notched a con­so­la­tion goal for Oban Lorn.

Kil­mory are now ahead of sec­ond-placed Tay­forth on goal dif­fer­ence al­though they have played a game more.

Dunoon Ca­manachd 0 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 4

Three goals in the first halfhour put Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll’s sec­ond team in con­trol against Dunoon Ca­manachd at Dunoon Sta­dium.

Dunoon were mi­nus the sus­pended Jonathon Black.

Josh Souter gave GMA the lead in two min­utes and Lewis Miller made it 2- 0 on 21 min­utes. Josh Souter got his sec­ond on 28 min­utes and the vis­i­tors took that ad­van­tage into the break. An Adrian MacLeod goal in the fi­nal minute gave GMA a 4- 0 vic­tory which lifts them to third place in the league.

Pho­to­graph by Neil Pater­son.

Lo­vat’s Greg Mathe­son flies past Lochlan Smith of Glenurquhart.

Pho­to­graph by Don­ald Cameron.

Kin­gussie’s Roddy Young, left, cel­e­brates his goal as team mate Kevin Thain looks on.

Pho­to­graph by Neil Pater­son.

Glenurquhart keeper Stu­art Mack­in­tosh saves a penalty late in the game to se­cure two points for his team.

Pho­to­graph by Don­ald Cameron.

Bute goal keeper Kevin Queen.

Pho­tog­ra­phy by Don­ald Cameron

Scott Har­vey, Bute, left, and Ryan MacKay, Beauly, in ac­tion in their Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion match on Satur­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.