Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nals

The Oban Times - - SPORT -

Kil­mallie 3 Oban Ca­manachd 4

THE MATCH of the day was at Canal Parks where Oban Ca­manachd came from be­hind three times to even­tu­ally beat a de­ter­mined Kil­mallie side 4-3 in their Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nal tie.

Be­fore the game there was a minute’s si­lence for for­mer pres­i­dent of Oban Ca­manachd Club Duncan MacIntyre who sadly passed away midweek af­ter a long ill­ness.

Kil­mallie had play­ers back from the side that beat In­ver­ness in the league a week ear­lier. Shane Gil­lies re­turned in goal while Martin Ste­wart and Liam Mac­Don­ald were also back and Peter Carmichael and Michael Rodger were free of one-match sus­pen­sions.

Oban Ca­manachd trav­elled with a full squad for the 3pm throw up.

The game started at a hec­tic pace with the home for­wards giv­ing the Ca­manachd de­fence a tor­rid time and it was no surprise when, af­ter 21 min­utes, Liam Mac­Don­ald latched on to a poor clear­ance to put the home side one up.

Ca­manachd’s re­sponse was im­me­di­ate though as An­drew ‘Papa’ MacCuish lev­elled the score two min­utes later.

Once again the Oban de­fence was found want­ing when Brian MacKay re­stored the home side’s lead. On the half-hour mark, how­ever, af­ter good lead-up play by Daniel Cameron, An­drew MacCuish scored his se­cond goal of the game to draw Ca­manachd level.

This only lasted a minute as Duncan Rodgers re­stored the home side’s lead af­ter more sloppy de­fend­ing by the Oban side.

There was no fur­ther scor­ing be­fore ref­eree Calum Gir­van sounded the whis­tle for half­time.

What­ever was said at half­time by team man­ager Iain Hay seemed to have the de­sired ef­fect with the Ca­manachd de­fence hav­ing a more solid look as the se­cond half got un­der way.

With the mid­field trio of David Laf­ferty, Lorne Dickie and Ai­dan MacIntyre in con­trol of the mid­field, it was the premier league side which drew level through An­drew ‘Papa’ MacCuish com­plet­ing his hat-trick. His shot de­ceived the home keeper al­though there were claims by the home de­fence that an in­fringe­ment had been com­mit­ted.

On con­sult­ing his goal judge the ref­eree awarded the goal.

The Oban side’s su­pe­rior fit­ness was be­gin­ning to tell and in 63 min­utes Con­nor Howe put Ca­manachd ahead for the first time in the game.

Ca­manachd could have added to their score but an An­drew MacCuish ef­fort hit the side-net and a goal by Daniel MacVicar was dis­al­lowed af­ter the young player was judged to have dragged the ball with his foot be­fore scor­ing.

Team man­ager Iain Hay rang the changes bring­ing on Scott MacMil­lan for Ai­dan MacIntyre, Mal­colm Clark for Daniel MacVicar and Wil­lie Neil­son for Con­nor Howe.

At the fi­nal whis­tle, the Oban side were de­served win­ners for their se­cond half per­for­mance.

This was a great game of shinty, played in front of a big crowd who gen­er­ated a fan­tas­tic at­mos­phere in the rain and it’s Oban Ca­manachd who went into Mon­day’s semi-fi­nal draw.

Af­ter the tie, Oban Ca­manachd man­ager Iain Hay said: ‘We had a very good se­cond half when the whole team played well. It was a great game of shinty though and I was pleased with our fit­ness lev­els. It’s good to be in the semi-fi­nal draw.’

Next up for Oban Ca­manachd is a Marine Har­vest Premier­ship visit to the Dell to play Kin­gussie this Sat­ur­day. Throw up is at 3.30pm.

The big games also keep com­ing for Kil­mallie and they now have a Bal­liemore Cup fi­nal against Caber­feidh at Blair­beg to look for­ward to this com­ing week­end.

New­ton­more 4 Skye Ca­manachd 2

NEW­TON­MORE beat Skye Ca­manachd 4-2 at the Ei­lan.

Evan Men­zies re­turned for ’More af­ter sus­pen­sion. Rory Kennedy was also back but Fraser MacK­in­tosh was still miss­ing.

Skye had skip­per Neil MacVicar back af­ter in­jury but they were mi­nus Gil­leas­buig Mac­Don­ald, Chris Ma­cLen­nan, Iain Ni­col­son and David MacInnes.

New­ton­more put Skye un­der pres­sure from the throw up and Jamie Gan­non made a ter­rific save with his feet af­ter Jamie Robin­son had drifted in from the left and fired the ball goal­wards.

Skye sur­vived the early ’More on­slaught and a James Pringle shot went wide mid­way through the half.

New­ton­more took the lead on 25 min­utes. An ini­tial shot was saved with his hand by Skye keeper Jamie Gan­non but Evan Men­zies bun­dled the re­bound over the line to make it 1- 0.

Jamie Gan­non pulled off a ter­rific save with his hand from a de­flected Glen MacK­in­tosh shot three min­utes later but Evan Men­zies got his and New­ton­more’s se­cond goal with a low shot from 20 yards out with just a cou­ple of first-half min­utes re­main­ing.

Skye started the se­cond half well and ’More keeper Owen Fraser made a good stop with his feet to deny Danny Mor­ri­son a cou­ple of min­utes af­ter the restart.

The Skye rear­guard was de­fend­ing well but there was lit­tle they could do on 55 min­utes as Nor­man Camp­bell made it 3- 0 with a 20-yard drive.

’More sub­sti­tute Iain Robin­son made it 4- 0 on 70 min­utes when he cre­ated space for him­self be­fore send­ing a low shot into the cor­ner of the net.

A 20-yarder from Skye sub­sti­tute Ally ‘Cleodi’ MacLeod was ex­pertly dealt with by keeper Owen Fraser as the tie moved into the fi­nal 15 min­utes.

Skye had made sub­sti­tu­tions which aided them as an at­tack­ing force and, with six min­utes re­main­ing, a su­perb 20-yard shot from Jor­dan Murchi­son flew past Owen Fraser to make it 4-1.

Skye were awarded a penalty on 88 min­utes when ref­eree Deek Cameron pe­nalised Owen Fraser for play­ing the ball while on the ground. Jor­dan Murchi­son made no mis­take from the spot hit, send­ing a low shot into the cor­ner of the net.

New­ton­more de­served their place in the last four of the Ca­manachd Cup and the sides meet in league ac­tion at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, this com­ing Sat­ur­day.

Kin­lochshiel 1 Beauly 1

KIN­LOCHSHIEL and Beauly will have to do it all over again this com­ing week­end af­ter they drew 1-1 at Kirk­ton.

Kin­lochshiel keeper Scott Kennedy re­turned in goal af­ter miss­ing the pre­vi­ous week­end’s league win over Kin­gussie be­cause of a groin in­jury sus­tained against Skye a fort­night ear­lier.

Ray­mond Gil­lies deputised against Kin­gussie and he was named on the bench for this game as a pre­cau­tion in case Kennedy’s in­jury flared up.

Paul MacRae went over his an­kle in the Skye match and he also missed the Kin­gussie clash but he was back for this one with a strapped an­kle. De­fender Mark Mac­Don­ald was on hol­i­day so Calum MacLean con­tin­ued in de­fence. Beauly boss Steven MacLean was with­out Bar­rie Mac­Don­ald. He made his re­turn from a long in­jury lay- off a week ear­lier but was ruled out with a swollen knee.

Colin Mac­Don­ald, Jamie Ma­cLen­nan, Sandy El­rick and Liam Mutch were miss­ing. David MacLean started at buck­shee back with Ryan Till­man at full cen­tre. Beauly shocked their hosts when they took the lead af­ter just three min­utes. Ross Forbes and Marc MacLach­lan worked the ball up the Beauly left and MacLach­lan sent a deep cross to the back post. Keeper Kennedy stum­bled as he came off his line to clear the dan­ger and Conor Ross did well to hold off Calum MacLean and steer the ball low into the far cor­ner of the net from a tight an­gle to make it 1- 0.

Kin­lochshiel had most of the first half pres­sure but the clos­est they came to an equaliser was a low John MacRae shot which was well saved with his foot by a stretch­ing Josh Grant in the Beauly goal.

The pat­tern of play con­tin­ued in the same vein dur­ing the se­cond half and Kin­lochshiel drew level on 56 min­utes from a set-piece when John MacRae ran in from the left to sweep the ball into the net.

Jor­dan Fraser had the ball in the net shortly af­ter but ref­eree Gra­ham Cameron ruled the ef­fort out for off­side. De­spite all ’Shiel’s pres­sure, this was a spir­ited per­for­mance from Beauly and they could have won it late in the game when a Jack Mac­Don­ald shot from the right came back off Scott Kennedy’s right post.

Beauly’s David MacLean put in a man- of-the-match per­for­mance in de­fence while full cen­tre Ryan Till­man also caught the eye.

The teams will do it all over again at Brae­view Park this com­ing Sat­ur­day where the Marine Har­vest Premier­ship side will start as favourites against their Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion op­po­nents.

Kyles Ath­letic 2 Lochaber 2

Kyles Ath­letic had to twice come from be­hind to earn a re­play against Lochaber in their 3pm throw up at a wet Tighnabru­aich.

An­drew King’s re­turn to the Kyles Ath­letic de­fence a week ear­lier was a timely boost for the home side, while Lochaber had Kevin Fer­gu­son avail­able af­ter a two-match ban.

Ben De­laney gave Lochaber the lead af­ter 37 min­utes, only for Dunkie Kerr to equalise on the stroke of half-time.

Neil Mac­Don­ald put Lochaber back in front on 51 min­utes when he fired the ball over Kyles’ keeper John Whyte’s right shoul­der.

Grant Irvine drew Kyles level for a se­cond time with a goal on 64 min­utes.

Lochaber de­ployed Barry Mac­Don­ald against Grant Irvine in the mid­dle of the park and the young­ster had a fine game.

The sides were sched­uled to meet at Tighnabru­aich in the league this com­ing Sat­ur­day. In­stead they will re­play their Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nal tie at Spean Bridge.

Lochaber’s Bre­nan Mac­Don­ald will be an in­jury con­cern for that game as he left Tighnabru­aich with his arm in a sling af­ter tak­ing a blow to the el­bow.

Pho­to­graph by Stephen Law­son. Pho­to­graph by Don­ald Cameron.

Con­nor Howe, who scored Oban Ca­manachd’s win­ning goal, left, and Jor­dan MacPhee of Kil­mallie keep an eye on the ball dur­ing Sat­ur­day’s Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter fi­nal. Skye’s Kenny Camp­bell and New­ton­more’s Jamie Robin­son on the run dur­ing Sat­ur­day’s Ca­manachd Cup tie.

Pho­to­graph by Don­ald Cameron.

Skye’s Ally Mac­Don­ald, left, and Iain Robin­son of New­ton­more dur­ing Sat­ur­day’s Ca­manachd Cup tie which New­ton­more won 4-2.

Pho­to­graph by Neil Pater­son.

Oban Ca­manachd’s An­drew MacCuish cel­e­brates net­ting one of his three goals against Kil­mallie.

Pho­to­graph by Neil Pater­son.

Oban Ca­manachd man­ager Iain Hay cel­e­brates his team’s Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nal win.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.