Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion

The Oban Times - - SPORT -

Bute 1 In­ver­aray 4

IN­VER­ARAY stay top of shinty’s se­cond tier af­ter beat­ing Bute 4-1 in their 3pm throw up at the Mead­ows.

In­ver­aray trav­elled with a de­pleted squad, miss­ing sev­eral reg­u­lars, in­clud­ing the sus­pended An­drew McMurdo. They found Bute in a sim­i­lar sit­u­a­tion so both teams fielded some of their promis­ing young­sters.

On a dre­ich day in Rothe­say, ’Aray made the brighter start and de­servedly went ahead thanks to Al­lan Mac­Don­ald’s per­sis­tence which saw him break clean through on goal and con­fi­dently strike the ball past the keeper to make it 1- 0.

The vis­i­tors were now play­ing the ball slickly around the front line for Fraser Watt, David Robert­son, Ruar­idh Gra­ham and Al­lan Mac­Don­ald and it

was no surprise when they ex­tended their lead. Fraser Watt added a se­cond with a well struck shot from 20 yards on 18 min­utes.

Then, 10 min­utes later, player/ man­ager Ruar­idh Gra­ham pounced on a through ball and sent a strike high into the net to make it 3- 0.

The In­ver­aray mid­field of Garry MacPherson, Lewis MacNi­col and young­ster Ruar­idh Gra­ham dom­i­nated the mid­dle of the park.

Young Gra­ham de­serves spe­cial praise for a tire­less dis­play all af­ter­noon and he is a player for whom the Win­ter­ton side has high hopes.

There was role re­ver­sal af­ter the break when Bute came much more into the match and stopped In­ver­aray from play­ing their usual game.

The vis­i­tors man­aged a fourth goal through Al­lan Mac­Don­ald on the hour when he had a sim­ple fin­ish to notch his se­cond strike of the af­ter­noon fol­low­ing great play from Ruar­idh Gra­ham se­nior.

In­ver­aray made changes for the fi­nal 20 min­utes, re­plac­ing vet­er­ans David Robert­son and Ruar­idh Gra­ham with young guns Robert Wood and Niall Kennedy.

Bute fin­ished strongly and got their re­ward five min­utes from time when for­mer Lo­vat player Duncan David­son scored to make it 4-1.

In the end, In­ver­aray did the dam­age in the first half against a never-say- die Bute team.

Bal­lachul­ish 0 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 12

GLAS­GOW Mid Ar­gyll notched up an­other league win and go se­cond in the ta­ble af­ter thump­ing Bal­lachul­ish 12- 0 at Ju­bilee Park.

Scott Mac­Don­ald was still out through sus­pen­sion for Balla’ while GMA were with­out the banned John McNulty and the in­jured Brian Slat­tery and Euan Mur­ray. Mark Bain re­turned.

This was the fourth time these sides had met this sea­son with GMA com­ing out on top each time.

It took GMA half an hour to break Balla’s re­sis­tance with Euan Forsyth scor­ing. Craig An­der­son added a se­cond a minute be­fore the break.

The goal glut came in the se­cond half. Craig An­der­son got his se­cond three min­utes af­ter the restart and Mark Bain made it 4- 0 on 54 min­utes.

Garry Luke added a fifth on 57 min­utes with Nick Lavin adding his name to the score­sheet 10 min­utes later.

Garry Luke com­pleted his hat-trick with goals on 74 and 79 min­utes to make 8- 0.

Ryan Har­ri­son made the most of a spell up front with goals on 82 and 88 min­utes. His goals came ei­ther side of a first goal at se­nior level from GMA debu­tant An­gus MacInnes, the young­ster net­ting on 86 min­utes.

Mark Bain rounded off the scor­ing just sec­onds be­fore ref­eree Innes Wood’s fi­nal whis­tle.

It’s tight at the top of the Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion with only five points sep­a­rat­ing the top five teams. In­ver­aray are four points ahead of se­cond placed GMA but the Glas­gow side has three games in hand.

Beauly and Kil­mallie only trail GMA on goal dif­fer­ence with Caber­feidh just a point be­hind them.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.