Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Skye Ca­manachd 0 New­ton­more 5

A POW­ER­FUL first half per­for­mance helped New­ton­more to a 5- 0 win over Skye Ca­manachd in their 3pm throw up at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree. Skye Ca­manachd first team John MacLeod made two

changes to the squad which lost 4-2 to New­ton­more in their Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter fi­nal tie at the Ei­lan a week ear­lier. Iain Mur­ray was on hol­i­day, whilst Steven Mor­ri­son was a late call- off through in­jury. Gil­leas­buig Mac­Don­ald and David MacInnes re­turned af­ter miss­ing the pre­vi­ous week­end’s match, whilst Chris MacLen­nan was back from in­jury. Al­lan MacK­in­non and Shockie MacLen­nan re­mained on the in­jury list.

New­ton­more man­ager Paul John MacK­in­tosh’s main con­cern was Fraser MacK­in­tosh who has now missed his team’s last three out­ings through in­jury. Michael Ritchie took over from Owen Fraser in goal, whilst Andy MacK­in­tosh, Jamie Robin­son, Drew Mac­Don­ald and Craig Ritchie were also un­avail­able. Iain Richard­son started in de­fence, Norman Campbell took over at full cen­tre and there was a place on the bench for Ackie MacRae af­ter a spell in Aus­tralia.

The vis­i­tors at­tacked from the start and Glen MacK­in­tosh tucked the ball into the net from a tight an­gle on the left fol­low­ing a Paul MacArthur shy from the left on 10 min­utes.

Evan Men­zies played in Glen MacK­in­tosh who flicked the ball into the net to make 2- 0 on 16 min­utes.

The ’More for­wards re­versed roles on 31 min­utes when a Glen MacK­in­tosh cross from the left found Evan Men­zies who slot­ted the ball home. Men­zies then scored the goal of the match on 34 min­utes when he crashed a David Fraser cor­ner from the right into the roof of the net to make it 4- 0 at the break.

MacK­in­tosh com­pleted his hat-trick four min­utes af­ter the restart when he struck the ball low into the net fol­low­ing a David Fraser shy from the right.

Skye came more into the game but they had to de­fend well to­wards the end of the match to pre­vent ’More adding to their tally.

New­ton­more, now half-way through their league pro­gramme, are cur­rently two points ahead of sec­ond-placed Kin­lochshiel and they also have three games in hand.

Next up for Skye is a cru­cial league meet­ing with Glenurquhart in Portree, whilst New­ton­more travel to An Aird to play Fort Wil­liam.

Kin­gussie 1 Oban Ca­manachd 0

KIN­GUSSIE up­set Oban Ca­manachd’s ti­tle bid when a late Roddy Young goal gave them a 1- 0 win in their 3.30pm throw up at the Dell.

Kin­gussie had a num­ber of ab­sen­tees as Robert Mabon, Dar­ren Han­lon, Ryan MacWil­liam, Jake MacPherson, Savio Genini and Rory Mac­Gre­gor were all on hol­i­day. Ryan Borth­wick and Fraser Munro, now free of sus­pen­sion, were both in­jured. They were able to call on Louis Munro though as the PE teacher was home for the school hol­i­days and he proved to be a class act at buck­shee back.

Oban Ca­manachd were with­out young­sters Daniel MacVicar and Ross MacMil­lan.

The Dell was in ter­rific con­di­tion which helped the play­ers serve up a re­ally en­ter­tain­ing match for the sup­port­ers.

Oban Ca­manachd, with Lorne Dickie ex­cel­lent at full cen­tre, played some good shinty and they had the bet­ter chances over­all. Daniel Cameron missed the tar­get on a cou­ple of oc­ca­sions and home goalie Craig Daw­son had to twice sprint from his line to clear the ball fol­low­ing dan­ger­ous at­tacks, while Calum Grant and Rory MacKeachan did well in the wing back po­si­tions.

The story of the day was the Kin­gussie 15-year- olds. Alexan­der Michie played the whole game at wing cen­tre and turned in a fine per­for­mance. Then, with their fa­thers – Kin­gussie stal­warts Davie An­der­son and Dal­las Young watch­ing from the touch­line – Kin­gussie brought on Ruar­idh An­der­son and Roddy Young.

The young guns com­bined to con­jure up the win­ning goal just a minute from time. Young had al­ready twice gone close and caused the vis­it­ing de­fence prob­lems with his strong run- ning. With the clock tick­ing down, An­der­son threaded the ball for­ward. Young broke through the Oban Ca­manachd de­fence to get to the ball just ahead of the ad­vanc­ing Oban keeper Gavin Sto­b­bart and the young­ster steered the ball into the net for his first se­nior goal.

There was an ac­knowl­edge­ment from the proud fa­thers who know just a thing or two about notch­ing win­ning goals.

The win means Kin­gussie climb to fourth in the league. They only trail third-placed Oban Ca­manachd on goal dif­fer­ence al­though they have played three games more.

Kin­gussie are not back in ac­tion un­til Fri­day Au­gust 5 when they play New­ton­more in the league at the Dell, which will be shown live on BBC Alba. Next up for Oban Ca­manachd is a league meet­ing with Lochaber at Moss­field this Satur­day.

Fort Wil­liam 1 Lo­vat 2

LO­VAT go fifth in the league af­ter they beat Fort Wil­liam 2-1 at An Aird.

Fort Wil­liam were with­out Mark Grant who served a one match ban for ex­ceed­ing the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old. Bryan Simp­son and Ste­vie Ste­wart were ab­sent, but Gra­ham Campbell re­turned.

Lo­vat were with­out Daniel Grieve, Martin Main­land, Lorne MacKay and Ryan Fer­gu­son. Fort Wil­liam started

with the wind at their backs and were the bet­ter team dur­ing a largely un­event­ful first half, de­spite hav­ing to over­come a cou­ple of early in­jury set-backs.

De­spite all Fort Wil­liam’s pres­sure, they weren’t able to se­ri­ously test Stu­art Mac­Don­ald in the Lo­vat goal.

It took 20 min­utes for Lo­vat to threaten the home goal. Lewis Tawse and Calum Ma­cAulay ex­changed passes be­fore Ma­cAulay slipped the ball to Kevin Bartlett, but his shot went wide.

When Lo­vat took the lead on 42 min­utes, it was against the run of play. Greg Mathe­son won the ball and cut in from the right, across the penalty spot. Mathe­son looked to have hit the ball just too far ahead of him but Cal­lum Cru­den al­lowed the ball to run and Mathe­son hit a strike across the keeper, high into the net, to give the Bal­gate side a 1- 0 lead at the break.

Ref­eree Evan MacRae awarded Lo­vat a penalty on 59 min­utes. Tawse went on a long run with the ball down the Lo­vat left. Tawse cut across the ‘D’ and was chopped down just in­side of the area. Mathe­son sent a su­perbly struck spot-hit to the keeper’s left to make it 2- 0.

Lo­vat were now play­ing some nice shinty, us­ing the full width of the pitch. They came close to in­creas­ing their lead on 66 min­utes when Kevin Bartlett picked up a Ma­cAulay cor­ner and beat his man be­fore flick­ing the ball past an ad­vanc­ing Paul MacKay in the Fort goal. The ball went just past the post though.

Bartlett went neatly round his marker on 70 min­utes and sent a fierce, low shot past the keeper’s left post.

Bartlett again got past his op­po­nent on 73 min­utes and played a great ball to Mathe­son whose sweetly stuck shot pro­duced a su­per save from keeper Paul MacKay. The re­bound fell for Bai­ley MacKay, who had come on for Graeme MacMil­lan four min­utes ear­lier, but again the Fort Wil­liam cus­to­dian com­pleted a good dou­ble- stop.

Fort Wil­liam re­duced the deficit on 84 min­utes when they scored against the run of play. An Alexan­der MacMil­lan shot from dis­tance was saved with his feet by Stu­art Mac­Don­ald, but Gra­ham Campbell was smartly in to tuck home the re­bound with the Lo­vat de­fend­ers claim­ing for off­side.

Lo­vat had to de­fend at the end with Mark Kelly, al­ways clam un­der pres­sure, out­stand­ing through­out at the back whilst goalie Paul MacKay was best for Fort Wil­liam.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.