Ar­gyll lose out to La­nark at Glen 3

The Oban Times - - Sport -

AR­GYLL and Bute wel­comed se­cond-placed La­nark Rugby Foot­ball Club to Glen­cruit­ten on Satur­day.

The game was played on the Glen 3 pitch, the first fix­ture played there this sea­son af­ter Oban Lorne do­nated sand to make the pitch safe.

The home side fielded a strong side of 19 play­ers in­clud­ing 17-year- olds Daniel Speirs and Alex Hous­ton who would make their se­nior rugby de­buts.

La­nark had lots of pos­ses­sion in the open­ing ex­changes of the match but could not break free from their own half com­ing up against some pow­er­ful Ar­gyll de­fence. The vis­i­tors did even­tu­ally make some gain in ter­ri­tory and were awarded a five-me­tre scrum af­ter a biz­zare de­ci­sion from the ref­eree who claimed the ball had been taken out of the dead ball area by an Ar­gyll player when, in fact, the player in ques­tion was sev­eral me­tres within the pitch.

With La­nark’s scrum­mag­ing power aided by the nat­u­ral slope to the Glen 3 pitch, the vis­i­tors re­cy­cled pos­ses­sion well and even­tu­ally scored be­neath the posts for an early 7- 0 lead.

Ar­gyll re­fused to let this dent their con­fi­dence and stormed back into the game af­ter se­cur­ing pos­ses­sion from the re­sult­ing kick- off.

The hosts nar­rowed the lead with a well taken penalty kick from scrum half Niall MacFar­lane.

Both teams were fall­ing foul of the ref­eree’s whis­tle at the break­down with the game stop­ping al­most ev­ery cou­ple of phases of play for an in­fringe­ment. La­nark held most of the pos­ses­sion in the first half as Ar­gyll strug­gled to keep the ball for long enough to mount any se­ri­ous at­tacks.

Ar­gyll’s tir­ing de­fence was breached al­low­ing the vis­i­tors an­other five-me­tre scrum. Af­ter be­ing held up on one oc­ca­sion, the vis­i­tors scored from their se­cond at­tack­ing play to ex­tend their lead to 12-3.

At half-time Ar­gyll knew they had been com­pet­ing well in most ar­eas of the match but would need to se­cure more pos­ses­sion in the se­cond half to get back into the game.

Ar­gyll did im­prove in the last 40 min­utes with good runs com­ing from prop Daniel Kemp, winger Alex Jobin and cen­tre David Thur­man.

La­nark in­creased their lead mid way into the half with an- other try and a penalty tak­ing the score to 20-3.

De­spite trail­ing 20-3, Ar­gyll re­fused to give up and dom­i­nated the last 10 min­utes of the match. Even­tu­ally Ar­gyll scored the try their ef­forts de­served with Ben McNiven touch­ing down with two min­utes re­main­ing leav­ing the fi­nal score 20-10 in La­nark’s favour.

Ar­gyll were pleased with their over­all per­for­mance in the game, par­tic­u­larly their se­cond half show­ing. Much im­prove­ment is re­quired at the break­down and the li­ne­outs.

Shaw­lands RFC wel­come Ar­gyll and Bute to Dum­breck in Glas­gow this Satur­day for the se­cond meet­ing be­tween the teams this sea­son.

Ar­gyll will be look­ing for re­venge af­ter a nar­row home de­feat to the same op­po­si­tion early in the sea­son.

A scrum dur­ing the Un­der 16s 24-10 win over Cam­bus­lang.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.