Isle of Mull come from be­hind to de­feat Shaw­lands

The Oban Times - - Sport -

ISLE OF Mull RFC once again came from be­hind to se­cure a vic­tory over Shaw­lands RFC, in a show stop­ping per­for­mance that left the crowd at Gar­mony thor­oughly en­ter­tained. Their last three games against the South­siders had seen ex­tremely strong per­for­mances from Mull, but never com­ing away with a re­sult - the boys in black in white were de­ter­mined to change this run of re­sults.

Mull were fresh from the suc­cess of two back to back wins over their neigh­bours Ar­gyll, but were be­gin­ning to count the cost of the sea­son with a large amount of in­juries - they still man­aged to muster a squad of 19 how­ever.

The ear­lier kick off time of 2pm saw Mull im­me­di­ately un­der pres­sure. A con­verted penalty and a try, af­ter a lack of con­cen­tra­tion in the Muileach’s de­fence saw them trail­ing 0-10.

As in the pre­vi­ous week’s game, Mull weath­ered the storm and picked them­selves up. A big tackle from cap­tain Craig O’Don­nell started a move that put the pres­sure on Shaw­lands - some wiz­ardry from Mer­lin Lawrence gave the crowd a su­perb try, 5-10.

Lochbuie’s Lawrence then went on to score again just be­fore half time. The Mull for­wards se­cured ball af­ter ball, draw­ing in the Shaw­lands play­ers. A break soon en­sued, with great pass­ing in­volv­ing on-form Sean Black, skip­per Craig O’Don­nell and Knock’s Jaimie MacLean gave Lawrence the op­por­tu­nity to sneak over the line. With An­drew MacLean­nan’s con­ver­sion, this put the Is­lan­ders 12-10 up at half time.


A long over­due come­back from Salen’s Craw­ford Whyte to the Mull side saw him re­warded with a try af­ter 55 minute.

Mull now started to dom­i­nate the se­cond half. The tide had turned in the scrum­mag­ing also – the Mull pack had found their feet and were be­gin­ning to win the ma­jor­ity of the scrums.

Coach Fer­gus Whyte’s run­ning and sup­port drills paid off as Mer­lin com­pleted his hat trick af­ter a pick and drive from Sean Black, who had made an­other im­pres­sive run.

Mull’s fi­nal try came with 10 min­utes to go. Af­ter a break up the left wing, some su­perb in­ter­play be­tween Craw­ford Whyte, Craig O’Don­nell and Sean Black saw Black score the try and con­vert – Mull were 3110 up.

Shaw­lands never gave up how­ever, and scored a try in the dy­ing min­utes of the game. Fi­nal score 31-15 to Mull.

A ju­bi­lant team cap­tain Craig O’Don­nell said: ‘An ab­so­lutely phe­nom­e­nal per­for­mance to­day from the Mull team, once again we made it hard for our­selves at the start of the game, but to turn it round like we did was just bril­liant.

All credit to Shaw­lands who were a tough op­po­si­tion and never gave up. We will have a lit­tle cel­e­bra­tion tonight then fo­cus on train­ing next week and Satur­day’s game’.

Mull re­main in third place as se­cond place La­nark kept up the pres­sure by beat­ing Ar­gyll. The Muileach’s next game sees them travel to Cly­des­dale RFC this Satur­day.

Kil­choan’s Ross Rankin is tack­led by a Shaw­lands de­fender.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.