Sick­ness bug fails to de­ter Oban young­sters as they de­feat Marr in West Re­gion Cup

The Oban Times - - SPORT -

OBAN’S U-16 team wel­comed Marr RFC U-16s to Glen­cruit­ten on Sun­day with the teams bat­tling it out for a place in the first round of the West U-16 Cup.

Marr would pro­vide a tough test, hav­ing played in a higher league this sea­son, but would come up against a wellor­gan­ised Oban team who have played a record num­ber of U-16 games so far this sea­son.

With a sick­ness bug tak­ing its toll on the squad, along with a cou­ple of in­juries, Oban were forced to start the game with only 13 play­ers, no­tably miss­ing Tommy MacQuade, Ian Barlow, Sandy Bav­ing­ton and An­gus Neil.

De­spite hav­ing a nu­mer­i­cal dis­ad­van­tage, Oban started well and were pil­ing the pres­sure on the away de­fence. Impressive, too, was the Oban scrum which shoved the op­po­si­tion off the ball on a few oc­ca­sions with two fewer play­ers.

Oban took a 5- 0 lead af­ter 20 min­utes with cen­tre David Cameron fin­ish­ing off af­ter col­lect­ing a clever kick in mid­field from stand- off Archie Spencer. Cameron used his strength well to find space and touch down for the first try of the day. Marr hit back shortly af­ter with a penalty, re­duc­ing the score to 5-3.

The home side were aided with the late ar­rival of Jor­dan Norman to the team, mean­ing they now had only one player fewer than the vis­i­tors.


Ke­iron Mor­ri­son was un­lucky not to add to Oban’s lead with ref­eree Wil­lie Malone dis­al­low­ing his ef­fort at the try­line for be­ing held up.

Oban played well in the re­main­ing min­utes be­fore half-time with some great play in the for­wards from the likes of Euan Shearer, Craig Cook, Finn Charl­ton and Ross McCaskill.

At half-time, the score stood at 5-3 in what was be­com­ing an en­ter­tain­ing game.

The home side looked to ex- tend their lead into the sec­ond half but Jor­dan Norman was taken down short of the line. Some poor dis­ci­pline at the break­down let Marr back into the match and they man­aged to take the lead with an­other penalty that made it 5- 6.

Oban hit back mid­way in the sec­ond half as full­back Robert MacLaugh­lin’s clear­ing kick gave the hosts some great field po­si­tion. With the ball stolen at the li­ne­out, Oban were again held up over the line re­sult­ing in a five-me­tre scrum.

From a well- or­gan­ised scrum, the ball found its way out to cen­tre David Cameron, who bat­tled his way through a cou­ple of de­fend­ers to score his sec­ond try of the game un­der the posts. With a suc­cess­ful con­ver­sion, Oban led 12- 6 with 20 min­utes of the match re­main­ing.

Marr pressed hard for a win­ning try but could not break down a bat­tling Oban de­fence. The Oban team were left de­lighted at the fi­nal whis­tle and will now progress to the first round of the cup on Fe­bru­ary 12 where some for­mi­da­ble op­po­si­tion await.

Schools rugby

Big­gar RFC hosted a com­bined Oban U13/ U14 team on Sun­day. Oban were de­pleted on num­bers due to a sick­ness bug but still man­aged to travel with a healthy squad.

Rac­ing four tries clear early on, Oban man­aged to hold on for an impressive 21-18 win away from home. Next week­end Oban’s U-13 and U-14 boys team along with the U-15 and U-18 girls teams travel to Glas­gow to take on Cartha Queens Park RFC.

Girls rugby

For the first time, Oban Lorne/ Oban High School man­aged to field an U-12 girls team at Ste­warts Melville RFC’s U-12 girls fes­ti­val on Sun­day.

The Oban girls were de­feated 4-2 by Mon­trose but recorded vic­to­ries over Auchter­arder and Ste­wart’s Melville.

Oban Lorne U-16s pic­tured be­fore the game against Marr last Sun­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.