Pre-sea­son friendlies

The Oban Times - - Sport -

SOME pre-sea­son friendlies man­aged to beat the wet weather on Satur­day Fe­bru­ary 18.

Aber­dour P Kyles Ath­letic P

The 1.30pm throw up be­tween the Aber­dour and Kyles Ath­letic sec­ond teams at Sil­ver­sands was post­poned.

Bal­lachul­ish P Fort Wil­liam P

When Bal­lachul­ish’s sched­uled fix­ture with the Kil­mallie sec­ond team fell through ear­lier in the week, they moved quickly to ar­range a friendly meet­ing with the Fort Wil­liam sec­ond team at an Aird.

An un­playable pitch lead to a Fri­day af­ter­noon switch of venue to Ju­bilee Park but this 1pm throw up was an­other ca­su­alty be­cause of a wa­ter­logged pitch.

Beauly 0 Caber­feidh 4

The Caber­feidh sec­ond team recorded a 4- 0 vic­tory over Beauly’s sec­ond team in their 1pm throw up at Brae­view Park.

Paul Ross, Ste­wart Krzyzanowski, Ruairidh MacLe­man and Ally MacLen­nan, back af­ter in­jury, got the Cabers’ goals in what was their fi­nal pre-sea­son friendly match.

Bole­sk­ine 2 Strath­glass 1

Bole­sk­ine beat the Strath­glass sec­ond team 2-1 in their Chal- lenge Cup match at Smith Park.

Penri Jones was on tar­get for Strath­glass in this 2pm throw up but goals from Neil Hope and Jamie Mathe­son gave new Bole­sk­ine boss Gra­ham Black a win­ning start.

Dunoon Ca­manachd P Glas­gow Univer­sity P

There was dis­ap­point­ment for Dunoon Ca­manachd when their pre-sea­son friendly, a noon throw up against Glas­gow Univer­sity, was post­poned as heavy overnight rain left Black Park un­playable.

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 3 Bute 0

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll beat Bute 3- 0 in their 1.30pm throw up at Yoker.

GMA were with­out Fin­lay MacMil­lan and Dun­can ‘Ach’ MacRae through in­jury but they took the lead through Mark Bain.

Fur­ther goals from Craig An­der­son and Calum McLay sealed the win.

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 1 Stra­chur 0

Ear­lier in the day, Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll’s sec­ond team de­feated Stra­chur 1- 0 in an 11.30am throw up at Yoker.

Scott An­der­son scored the only goal of the game just be­fore half time.

Glen­garry 10 In­ver­ness 0

Glen­garry beat the In­ver­ness sec­ond team 10- 0 in their 2pm throw up at Craigard.

Ray­mond Robert­son scored four times for the home side with Archie John­stone, David Rodgers, Nick Dal­gety, who has joined the team from Lochcar­ron, Scott Brem­ner, Alan Knox and An­drew Gilchrist get­ting the oth­ers. The wet weather in the sec­ond half made it dif­fi­cult for both teams.

’Garry have a strong squad when all their play­ers are avail­able, whilst In­ver­ness will con­tinue to play their young play­ers through­out the new sea­son.

Glenorchy 2 Bute 3

The Bute sec­ond team beat Glenorchy 3-2 in a 2pm throw up at Mart Park.

Robert McLaugh­lin put Glenorchy ahead on 15 min­utes but Ruar­idh Soane equalised 10 min­utes be­fore the break.

Glenorchy went in front through Dun­can Buchanan three min­utes af­ter the restart. Bute then drew level with Ruar­idh Soane get­ting his sec­ond on 55 min­utes. It stayed that way un­til five min­utes from time when Neil McKirdy popped up to score the win­ner for the is­lan­ders.

Glenurquhart 5 Skye Ca­manachd 1

Glenurquhart beat Skye Ca­manachd 5-1 in their 2pm throw up at Blair­beg.

Glenurquhart were still with­out in­jured keeper Stu­art MacKintosh so Garry MacKintosh was in goal. John Barr and An­drew Cor­ri­gan both played, with the lat­ter in ex­cel­lent form.

A weak­ened Skye trav­elled with­out Steven Mor­ri­son, Neil MacVicar, Kenny Camp­bell and Shockie MacLen­nan.

Glenurquhart took an early lead when Neale Reid put them in front on 12 min­utes and Daniel MacKintosh added a sec­ond on 26 min­utes.

Skye’s Danny Mor­ri­son pulled a goal back on 38 min­utes and it re­mained 2-1 at the break.

The ‘ Glen’ went on to add three more goals through Fraser Heath on 65 min­utes, Cal­lum Smith on 72 min­utes and, with just five min­utes re­main­ing, sub­sti­tute James MacPherson who came deep to gather pos­ses­sion and pushed the ball wide be­fore smash­ing a pow­er­ful 35-yard shot into the net.

Kin­gussie 3 Beauly 1

Kin­gussie bounced back from last week’s 3-2 de­feat to Caber­feidh to beat Beauly 3-1 at the Dell.

Kin­gussie played bet­ter as a team this week and two goals from the re­turn­ing Ryan Borth­wick and a Savio Genini strike gave them the win.

Conor Ross coun­tered for a young Beauly side which was mi­nus David MacLean. Keeper Josh Grant was their top per­former.

Kin­lochshiel P Fort Wil­liam P

An un­playable Kirk­ton pitch led to the Satur­day morn­ing post­pone­ment of the 1.30pm throw up be­tween Kin­lochshiel and Fort Wil­liam.

Kin­lochshiel 4 Lochcar­ron 1

Kin­lochshiel’s sec­ond team beat Lochcar­ron 4-1 on a wet day at Plock­ton High School’s all-weather pitch.

Scott MacLean put ’Shiel ahead on the half hour mark with the only goal of the first half.

Cor­ran Camp­bell made it 2- 0 on 65 min­utes but Lochcar­ron’s Calum Fin­layson halved the deficit a minute later.

A Lewis MacVicar cor­ner took a de­flec­tion off a Lochcar­ron de­fender and the ball ended up in the back of the net to make it 3-1 on 70 min­utes.

Scott MacLean scored his sec­ond five min­utes later af­ter a string of good passes.

Lochside Rovers P New­ton­more P

The match be­tween Lochside Rovers and the New­ton­more sec­ond team at Gana­van didn’t go ahead as the vis­i­tors were un­able to raise a team.

New­ton­more 5 In­ver­ness 2

New­ton­more over- came In­ver­ness 5-2 at the Ei­lan.

New­ton­more won the game thanks to dou­bles from Iain Robinson and Paul MacArthur with Conor Jones get­ting the other.

James Cameron and Ewan Neil­son, mak­ing his de­but af­ter sign­ing from Taynuilt, coun­tered for In­ver­ness.

Oban Celtic 1 Kil­mallie 6

A pow­er­ful sec­ond half dis­play gave Kil­mallie a 6-1 win over Oban Celtic in their 2pm throw up at a windy Moss­field.

Oban Celtic took the lead thanks to a crack­ing Daniel Madej ef­fort and that’s the way it stayed un­til the break.

Kenny Wother­spoon’s side could have been fur­ther ahead had it not been for some fine goal-keep­ing from Shane Gil- lies in the Kil­mallie goal whilst an Ally McKer­racher shot came back off the post.

The sec­ond half be­longed to the Canal Parks side though and they went on to score six times with­out re­ply.

Ryan Ste­wart pulled Kil­mallie level and a Mark Gra­ham brace and goals from Bryan MacKay and Michael Rodger had the vis­i­tors 5-1 ahead.

Dun­can Rodger rounded off the scor­ing with a goal di­rect from a cor­ner with some con­fu­sion in the Oban Celtic back line as to whether a goal could be scored di­rect from a set-piece.

Af­ter the match, Oban Celtic manager Kenny Wother­spoon said: ‘We gave a good ac­count of our­selves in the first half, es­pe­cially with our move­ment up front.

‘We made seven changes in the sec­ond half to give the boys a run out.

‘We won’t make any changes this com­ing Satur­day un­less we have to. It’s the Robert Wylie Memo­rial Cup against Bal­lachul­ish and we want to win.

‘As far as I’m con­cerned. that’s our pre-sea­son fin­ished. Our com­pet­i­tive sea­son starts this week.’

Ox­ford 0 Lon­don Ca­manachd 3

There was shinty ac­tion south of the bor­der too as Lon­don Ca­manachd recorded a 3- 0 away win against Ox­ford. New sign­ing Robert John An­der­son got the first two Lon­don goals with Colin Tar­bat get­ting the third.

Skye Ca­manachd P Glenurquhart P

The 2pm throw up be­tween the Skye Ca­manachd and Glenurquhart colts at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, was post­poned as a num­ber of the Skye play­ers were suf­fer­ing from a sick­ness bug.

Strath­glass 0 Oban Ca­manachd 3

Oban Ca­manachd had a suc­cess­ful trip north where they beat Strath­glass 3- 0 at Can­nich to lift the Murdo MacKen­zie Memo­rial Cup.

Daniel Cameron got the Oban side off to a great start with a goal from close range in the open­ing minute.

Matt Rip­pon made it 2- 0 fiveminutes later when he tapped the ball home from in­side the ‘D’.

A su­perb 25-yard shot from Mal­colm Clark flew into the top cor­ner of the net to make it 3- 0 on 56 min­utes.

There was a good mid­field bat­tle through­out the game and the home keeper and de­fence did well to pre­vent Ca­manachd from in­creas­ing their lead.

Oban Ca­manachd boss Iain Hay trav­elled with­out An­drew MacCuish and Ai­dan MacIn­tyre. He played young­sters Lewis Buchanan and Daniel MacCuish who both per­formed well.

This was Oban Ca­manachd’s fi­nal pre-sea­son friendly ahead of the start of the new shinty sea­son.

Tay­forth P Aberdeen Univer­sity P

The 1pm throw up be­tween Tay­forth and Aberdeen Univer­sity at Leven­hall Links was post­poned on Fri­day morn­ing.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son. Liam Mutch, Beauly, and James Fal­coner, Kin­gussie, in ac­tion dur­ing last Satur­day’s friendly at The Dell.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.