Lochaber pipped at the post

The Oban Times - - Sport -

BT Cale­do­nia 2NW LOCHABER rugby club hosted Dee­side last Satur­day and with Lochaber still chas­ing their first league win of the sea­son they were tar­get­ing this game to get that first win.

Dee­side were once again the first to open the scor­ing and af­ter pro­longed pres­sure they won a penalty which was taken quickly en­abling them to crash over the line to open the scor­ing.

Lochaber were again able to con­trol the scrum and on Dee­side’s ball put them un­der real pres­sure. Lochaber’s li­ne­outs were go­ing well and they were able to steal some ball from the li­ne­out as well.

Lochaber opened up their ac­count when Christopher Simp­son crashed over in the cor­ner and, with Jonathan McCook con­vert­ing the try, the score was 7-7.

Dee­side fought back but the Lochaber de­fence held time af­ter time and al­though Dee­side crossed the line sev­eral times Lochaber were able to hold the ball up deny­ing the tries. Lochaber were then able to con­vert that de­fence into at­tack.

From be­ing on their own five me­tres line they were sud­denly at the other end of the park where Cal­lum Boyd man­aged to cut through the Dee­side de­fence to get Lochaber’s sec­ond try and, with McCook con­vert­ing it, brought the score to 14-7 just be­fore half time. In the sec­ond half Dee­side were able to get their sec­ond try just af­ter Lochaber had a player sin­binned for 10 min­utes. But their kicker man­aged to slice the con­ver­sion from right in front of the posts to bring the score to 14-12.

Dee­side were able to work their way down­field where they won a penalty. This time their fly half made up for the missed con­ver­sion by scor­ing the penalty to give Dee­side the lead 1415. Lochaber worked their way down the pitch and con­tin­ued to dom­i­nate the Dee­side scrum de­spite be­ing a man down in the scrum. The hard work paid off and they were awarded a penalty near the Dee­side line af­ter the ref­eree sent off the wrong player from Dee­side af­ter a high tackle.

The of­fence was com­mit­ted by their fly half but a prop was sent off with nine min­utes re­main­ing. McCook scored the penalty to give Lochaber the lead again and make the score 17-15.

Dee­side came on the at­tack des­per­ate to get an­other score to win the game and with only sec­onds re­main­ing af­ter stout de­fend­ing Lochaber looked to have won the ball back af­ter the Dee­side scrum half lost con­trol of the ball and dropped it for­ward right in front of the ref­eree.

With the ball rolling for­wards from the drop, the ref­eree waved play on and Dee­side re­cov­ered the ball and in the next phase Lochaber re­ceived their sec­ond yel­low card for a high tackle. With the last kick of the game, the Dee­side fly half, who should have been in the sin bin, kicked the re­sult­ing penalty to win the game 17-18. Rugby

Lochaber now face a tough trip away to El­lon this Satur­day be­fore fin­ish­ing their sea­son at home to Shet­land on Satur­day April 22.

Abright­side Pho­tog­ra­phy

Chris Simp­son dives over for a Lochaber try.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.