Macau­lay and Suther­land cup ties take cen­tre stage this week­end

KYLES Ath­letic are the new Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship lead­ers, ahead of Kin­lochshiel and Kin­gussie on goal dif­fer­ence, and seven of the eight Bal­liemore Cup quar­ter fi­nal­ists are known fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day April 22 .

The Oban Times - - SPORT -

Bal­liemore Cup - sec­ond round Fort Wil­liam 2 Aber­dour 1

Fort Wil­liam beat Aber­dour 2-1 in their 3pm throw-up at An Aird.

All the goals came in the fi­nal third of the match.

Fort Wil­liam took the lead on 66 min­utes. A chipped ball into the goal area was stopped by Aber­dour goalie Tom Bow­er­man but he wasn’t able to get any dis­tance on his clear­ance and Lewis Clark was quickly in to score.

The home side ex­tended their lead four min­utes later. Calum Shep­ard saw an ini­tial shot blocked but the re­bound fell on his left side and he lashed the ball high into the net to make it 2- 0.

Fort Wil­liam were re­duced to 11 play­ers when Bryan Simp­son was red carded fol­low­ing a chal­lenge on Craig Grant.

Aber­dour pulled a goal back on 80 min­utes. David McDougall sent a good ball for­ward and Paul MacKay made a good save from Roddy MacColl but An­gus Thor­burn, back in the side, was first to the re­bound to score.

Fort Wil­liam will now travel to face Skye Ca­manachd in the quar­ter fi­nals on Satur­day May 20.

Kil­mory 0 Oban Celtic 3

Oban Celtic recorded their first com­pet­i­tive win of the sea­son when they beat Kil­mory 3- 0 in their 2pm throw-up at MacRae Park.

Oban Celtic de­fender Ross MacMil­lan served a one-game ban fol­low­ing his send­ing off against Fort Wil­liam the pre­vi­ous week whilst keeper Stephen David­son was also ab­sent.

Oban Celtic took the lead fol­low­ing a fine set-piece in­volv­ing Andy Hunt, Iain MacKech­nie and a surg­ing run from winger Kieran Carnie who coolly slot­ted the ball home.

The Oban side’s sec­ond was a good fin­ish from Daniel Madej who col­lected a loose ball from edge of the ‘D’ and ri­fled it into the roof of the net.

Daniel Madej got his sec­ond and Oban Celtic’s third fol­low­ing a Kenny Wother­spoon through ball. Madej rode a chal­lenge from the full back be­fore pok­ing the ball past the ad­vanc­ing goal keeper to make it 3- 0.

Next up for Oban Celtic in the Bal­liemore is a trip to play who­ever comes out on top in the tie be­tween In­ver­aray and Bute. That tie will be played later as In­ver­aray had their des­ig­nated ‘free Satur­day’ last week­end when their play­ers at­tended the wed­ding of team mate Grant Griffin.

Af­ter the match, Oban Celtic player/man­ager Kenny Wother­spoon said: ‘I’m de­lighted we are fi­nally up and run­ning and hope­fully the boys can carry the mo­men­tum for­ward to this week against In­ver­aray. The hard­core of the team will be back and avail­able for se­lec­tion and that’s some­thing we haven’t had over the last three weeks so it’s a game we are look­ing for­ward to.’

Skye Ca­manachd 3 Strath­glass 1

Skye Ca­manachd are through to the next round af­ter they came from a goal down to beat Strath­glass 3-1 at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Jordan Murchi­son and Neil MacVicar were both back for Skye, but they both started on the bench.

Strath­glass trav­elled with­out Ge­orge Phimis­ter, Ross Bal­harry and Hamish My­ers.

A clever run from Josh Fraser saw him latch on to a for­ward ball to score af­ter 33 min­utes.

Skye were level a cou­ple of min­utes later though when Will Cowie burst through the cen­tre of the vis­it­ing de­fence to calmly slot the ball home.

Will Cowie got his sec­ond from the penalty spot on 48 min­utes af­ter Stewart Grant was brought down inside the ‘D’ by Strath­glass goalie Ally MacA­dams.

Will Cowie com­pleted his hat­trick on 56 min­utes with an­other good fin­ish.

Skye keeper Iain Ma­cLeod made a fan­tas­tic save from a well-struck Scott Douglas penalty to main­tain the is­landers’ two-goal ad­van­tage.

Aberdeen Univer­sity 0 Caber­feidh 11

Caber­feidh, fly­ing high in the Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion, thumped Aberdeen Univer­sity, third in Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1, 11- 0 at Bal­go­wnie.

Kevin Bartlett got Caber­feidh off to a great start with a goal af­ter two min­utes.

Craig Mor­ri­son on eight min­utes and Liam Sy­monds on 15 min­utes made it 3- 0 be­fore Kevin Bartlett got his sec­ond a minute later.

Kevin Bartlett com­pleted his hat-trick on 41 min­utes and got his fourth a cou­ple of min­utes later as Caber­feidh took a 6- 0 lead into the break.

Scot­tish in­ter­na­tional Kevin Bartlett got his fifth on 51 min­utes, whilst Craig Mor­ri­son com­pleted his hat-trick with goals on 56 and 60 min­utes to make it 9- 0.

Martin Mac­Don­ald took Caber­feidh to dou­ble fig­ures on 62 min­utes and Craig Mor­ri­son got his fourth on 78 min­utes.

Beauly 6 Glenorchy 0

Beauly were too strong for Glenorchy, winning 6- 0 in their 3pm throw up at Brae­view Park.

With Liam Gir­van, Sandy El­rick and Ryan Till­man un­avail­able, Beauly boss Alan MacRae called up Sean Stewart, Rory Campbell and Daniel La­mont.

Glenorchy also had their se­lec­tion dif­fi­cul­ties. Alex MacPher­son was amongst their ab­sen­tees and they trav­elled with just 12 play­ers.

Beauly got off to a great start when Conor Ross gath­ered pos­ses­sion and played the ball to Sean Stewart who crossed for Jack Mac­Don­ald who sent a low strike into the net from 12 yards out.

Con­nor Ross picked up an early in­jury and was re­placed by Daniel La­mont and La­mont set up an un­marked Jack Mac­Don­ald to make it 2- 0 with a good strike on 22 min­utes.

Ross Forbes got on the end of a Sean Stewart shy from the left and sent a waist-high shot past keeper An­drew Smith to make it 3- 0 with 34 min­utes played.

Beauly ended the game as a con­test with the goal of the game on 39 min­utes. Daniel La­mont re­leased Ross Forbes down the wing and he cut back from the by-line be­fore send­ing a great strike into the roof of the net from a tight an­gle.

There was still time for An­gus Ren­wick to hit the post be­fore ref­eree John An­gus Gil­lies blew for half time.

There was no let up from the home side and Sean Stewart made it 5- 0 a minute af­ter the re-start. Stewart gath­ered an An­gus Ren­wick shy and his sweetly struck low shot bounced into the net.

Glenorchy dug in and it was five min­utes from time be­fore Jack Mac­Don­ald com­pleted his hat-trick with a snap-shot for what was the fi­nal goal of this sport­ing en­counter.

Taynuilt 5 Bal­lachul­ish 2

A Wil­lie Laf­ferty in­spired Taynuilt beat Bal­lachul­ish 5-2 in their all-Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 tie at the Taynuilt Sports Field.

Laf­ferty scored on two and six min­utes to give Taynuilt an early ad­van­tage and although Lorne Brown pulled a goal back on 20 min­utes, Dun­can Campbell re­stored the home side’s two goal cush­ion with a 29th minute goal.

Wil­lie Laf­ferty com­pleted his hat-trick on 56 min­utes but Lorne Brown got his sec­ond on 65 min­utes to make it 4-2.

Wil­lie Laf­ferty got his fourth goal of the game with just a cou­ple of min­utes re­main­ing to make it 5-2.

Taynuilt will have home ad­van­tage against Beauly in the next round.

Tay­forth 1 In­ver­ness 5

In­ver­ness are through to the next round af­ter they beat Tay­forth 5-1 at Leven­hall Links.

In­ver­ness trav­elled with­out a num­ber of play­ers in­clud­ing Ian Munro, Ar­ran MacMaster, Davie Glass, Char­lie Mac­Don­ald and Wil­liam MacKin­non.

First half goals from James Cameron on 14 min­utes and Andy Reid on 27 min­utes made it 2- 0 at the break.

James Cameron got an­other a minute into the sec­ond half and late goals from Somhairle Mac­Don­ald on 86 min­utes and Padraig McNeil a minute later put gloss on the win.

In­ver­ness will be away to fel­low Na­tional Divi­sion side Caber­feidh in the last eight of the com­pe­ti­tion.

Strathdearn Cup – first round Beauly 0 Glen­garry 8

Glen­garry con­tin­ued their good start to the sea­son with a re­sound­ing 8- 0 win over Beauly’s sec­ond team in their noon throw-up at Brae­view Park.

Ray­mond Ren­nie made it 1- 0 af­ter 11 min­utes and Ruaraidh Mac­Don­ald added a sec­ond five min­utes later. Ray­mond Robert­son com­pleted his hat-trick with goals on 21 and 38 min­utes to make it 4- 0 at the break.

Nick Dal­gety struck twice on 63 and 67 min­utes to make it 6- 0.

Robert­son got his fourth goal of the af­ter­noon on 74 min­utes be­fore Scott Brem­ner made it 8- 0 on 78 min­utes.

Glen­garry can now look for­ward to a home tie against the Glenurquhart sec­ond team in the sec­ond round of the al­lNorth com­pe­ti­tion on Satur­day May 13.

Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship Kin­lochshiel 2 Kin­gussie 0

Match of the day in the Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship was the 3pm throw up be­tween fourth­placed Kin­lochshiel and league lead­ers Kin­gussie.

And it is ’Shiel who main­tain their 100 per cent record with a 2- 0 win which lifts them to sec­ond in the ta­ble. Kin­lochshiel were along usual lines.

Kin­gussie trav­elled with­out Martin Dallas, although Savio Genini and Ryan Borth­wick were back.

The lat­ter had to be with­drawn early in the game how­ever with the re­cur­rence of an in­jury prob­lem.

There were no goals in a keenly con­tested first half but it was the home side who took the lead on 53 min­utes. Kin­gussie had been at­tack­ing but a long ball for­ward from ’Shiel came in to Jordan Fraser who flicked the ball on to John MacRae who scored from a tight an­gle.

Kin­gussie keeper Craig Daw­son got his stick to the ball but couldn’t keep it out.

It was to get bet­ter for the home sup­port just a cou­ple of min­utes later. A bril­liant run from Keith MacRae caused prob­lems in the vis­it­ing de­fence and led to a goal line scramble.

The ball was flicked out to John MacRae who tapped the ball home for his sec­ond goal of the game.

Next up for ’Shiel is a home Artemis Macau­lay Cup meet­ing with Lo­vat, whilst Kin­gussie host Lochaber in the same com­pe­ti­tion.

Lo­vat 2 Oban Ca­manachd 1

Lo­vat halted a run of three games with­out a win when they came from a goal down to beat Oban Ca­manachd 2-1 in their 12.30pm throw-up at Bal­gate.

Cal­lum Cru­den was back in the Lo­vat line-up and Martin Main­land had re­cov­ered from a hand in­jury sus­tained in the pre­vi­ous week’s de­feat to Glenurquhart.

Wil­lie Neil­son was passed fit to play for Oban Ca­manachd but Con­nor Howe was work­ing.

This was a high-in­ten­sity match with plenty of en­deav­our from both sides.

Oban Ca­manachd al­most went in front on five min­utes when a cross into the dan­ger area was de­flected over his bar by Cal­lum Cru­den.

Vis­it­ing keeper Gavin Sto­b­bart made a su­perb save un­der his cross­bar to deny Lorne MacKay a minute later.

Oban Ca­manachd were start­ing to dom­i­nate the cen­tre line and they took the lead on 15 min­utes when Matt Rip­pon ran in on goal be­fore con­fi­dently slot­ting the ball home.

Lo­vat lost Baily MacKay through in­jury on 35 min­utes with Scott MacKen­zie com­ing on in his place.

Lo­vat switched Danny Kelly to full cen­tre at the break and he went on to win more of the ball in mid­field with Scott MacKen­zie also play­ing well, stak­ing a claim for a start­ing slot against Kin­lochshiel this com­ing Satur­day.

Lo­vat lev­elled on 74 min­utes. Scott MacKen­zie won a tackle and ran up the right be­fore play­ing a pass to Greg Mathe­son’s feet. Mathe­son made enough space to send a great shot high into the net from around 18 yards out.

Lo­vat took the lead a minute later.

Their for­ward line had moved deep and Greg Mathe­son showed great an­tic­i­pa­tion to run onto a ball over the top. Gavin Sto­b­bart came out to clear but he slipped as he tried to get the ball away, leav­ing Mathe­son to take the ball and knock it into the empty net.

This was a feisty en­counter which threat­ened to boil over on a cou­ple of oc­ca­sions fol­low­ing in­ci­dents in­volv­ing Greg Mathe­son and Scott MacMil­lan with both play­ers booked by ref­eree Archie Ritchie.

Glenurquhart 1 Kyles Ath­letic 4

Kyles Ath­letic made it four league wins out of four when they beat Glenurquhart 4-1 in their 3pm throw-up at Bal­gate.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron.

Skye’s Iain MacLel­lan holds off Glenurquhart’s Jamie MacLen­nan dur­ing their North Divi­sion One match. Taynuilt’s Wil­lie Laf­ferty scored four goals in his team’s 5-2 win over Bal­lachul­ish.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

Kin­lochshiel’s John Macrae gets set to pull the trig­ger and score the sec­ond goal against Kin­gussie.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.