Ca­manachd Cup Macau­lay Cup MacTav­ish Cup Celtic So­ci­ety Cup

Suther­land Cup Bal­liemore Cup Strathdearn Cup Bul­lough Cup

The Oban Times - - SPORT -

Kyles suf­fered a blow af­ter five min­utes when Cal­lum Miller had to go off with a ham­string prob­lem so Don­ald Irvine went to full back.

Glenurquhart were on top dur­ing the early stages but Kyles went in front on 17 min­utes. An­drew King sent a free-hit down the right to Rob­bie Ma­cLeod. His cross to the back post was missed by every­one so Martin Mac­Fadyen ran back to stop the ball go­ing out for a shy. Mac­Fadyen sent a swerv­ing ball into the goal area and it de­ceived Glenurquhart goalie Garry MacKintosh, drop­ping into the cor­ner of the net.

A minute later, Michael Fraser came on in at­tack for an in­jured Fraser Heath, with Con­nor Go­labeck drop­ping into the back four to re­place Heath.

Kyles’ goalie John Whyte did well to keep out a de­flected Ally MacKintosh shot from dis­tance on 39 min­utes.

Glenurquhart had also lost Neale Reid through in­jury in the first half but they drew level five min­utes from half time. John Whyte did well to save a Daniel MacKintosh shot which came through a ruck of play­ers but James MacPher­son was quickly onto the re­bound to score.

Both keep­ers were called into ac­tion a minute into the sec­ond half. First John Whyte threw him­self to his right to pro­tect his goal. Then play im­me­di­ately switched to the other end where Garry MacKintosh used his body to stop Kyles re­gain­ing the lead.

Kyles Ath­letic were the stronger side dur­ing the fi­nal half hour of the con­test and they went on to score three more times to win the game. Sandy MacKen­zie put them back in front on 61 min­utes. Roddy Mac­Don­ald shot goal­wards fol­low­ing a Gor­don Whyte free-hit. Garry MacKintosh made the save but MacKen­zie fol­lowed up to score.

Gor­don Whyte made it 3-1 five min­utes later. Glenurquhart failed to clear a Kyles at­tack and Rob­bie Ma­cLeod drifted the ball to the back post where Innes Mac­Don­ald knocked it down to Gor­don Whyte who swept the ball into the net.

The vis­i­tors were awarded a penalty by ref­eree Innes Wood on 88 min­utes when Con­nor Go­labeck seemed to be penalised. How­ever, Garry MacKintosh saved Gor­don Whyte’s spot-hit with his feet. As the ball broke, Kyles were awarded a free-hit just out­side the ‘D’ which Gor­don Whyte played to Roddy Mac­Don­ald who ran in at the back post to score.

There was still time for brothers Roddy Mac­Don­ald and Innes Mac­Don­ald to ex­change passes for­ward from mid­field. Again ref­eree Wood pointed to the penalty spot, this time pe­nal­is­ing keeper MacKintosh for throw­ing his stick. The goalie re­deemed him­self, how­ever, stretch­ing high to turn away Innes Mac­Don­ald’s ef­fort from the spot which was head­ing in just un­der the bar. Kyles now top the ta­ble on goal dif­fer­ence. New­ton­more 3 Lochaber 0 New­ton­more go fourth in shinty’s top flight af­ter they beat Lochaber 3- 0 at The Ei­lan.

New­ton­more took the lead on 29 min­utes when Rory Kennedy jus­ti­fied his se­lec­tion in the for­ward line with the game’s open­ing goal. Glen MacKintosh added a sec­ond on 34 min­utes and it stayed that way un­til the in­ter­val.

Iain Robinson got in on the act with a goal on 34 min­utes to round off the 3- 0 win. Glas­gow Mid Argyll 1 Kil­mallie 0 Glas­gow Mid Argyll and Kil­mallie met in the league for the sec­ond time this sea­son. GMA were 2-1 win­ners at Canal Parks at the end of March and they se­cured what could yet prove to be a cru­cial 1- 0 vic­tory in this one at Yoker.

GMA were along usual lines with boss Ge­orge Hay hav­ing a full squad to choose from. Kil­mallie’s sus­pen­sion woes con­tin­ued and man­ager Mark MacPher­son was with­out Dun­can Rodger who served a one game ban fol­low­ing his red card against In­ver­ness, whilst Michael Rodger started a two-game ban for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old.

The only goal of the game came early in the match. There were only six min­utes played when Craig An­der­son sent the ball into the ‘D’ and Garry Luke ran in to pro­duce a good fin­ish from a tight an­gle.

Kil­mallie’s cause wasn’t helped by two red cards. First Aaron San­di­son picked up a yel­low card for a wild swing and then re­ceived a sec­ond yel­low for some­thing said to ref­eree Robert Bax­ter.

Liam Cameron was sent off fol­low­ing a chal­lenge on Garry Luke.

Both will miss this week­end’s Artemis Macau­lay Cup tie against Kyles Ath­letic at Tighnabru­aich.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1

Kin­gussie 2 New­ton­more 2 New­ton­more came from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Kin­gussie in the Bade­noch re­serve team derby in front of a large crowd at The Dell on Fri­day April 21.

Kin­gussie re­sisted the temptation to field their more experienced play­ers such as Ron­ald Ross, John Gib­son or Garry Munro, whilst Rory Fraser was an un­used sub­sti­tute.

New­ton­more’s Danny Macrae made a wel­come re­turn to shinty fol­low­ing an ab­sence of over two years but hav­ing taken a knock in train­ing dur­ing the week, he started the 6.30pm throw-up on the bench.

With Kenny Ross full cen­tre and Scott Campbell wing cen­tre, New­ton­more had the bet­ter of the first half but they fell be­hind to a Bradley Har­vey goal on 10 min­utes. Kin­gussie had a shy on the left which found Kevin Thain and his strike was well saved by New­ton­more goal­keeper Cal­lum Grover. But the re­bound came out to Bradley Har­vey and his well-struck shot from edge of box gave the keeper no chance.

The sec­ond half was a fairly even af­fair.

On 59 min­utes, Danny MacRae came off the bench in place of Orsten Gar­diner, with Macrae go­ing into full for­ward.

Kin­gussie looked to have won the game when Bradley Har­vey got his and his side’s sec­ond goal of the evening on 70 min­utes. Kevin Thain fed the ball to Har­vey on the right and he had time to steady him­self be­fore send­ing a rocket shot high into the net, suf­fer­ing a knock in the process.

The game had now sprung to life and, just a minute later, Calum Stewart halved the deficit. From the throw-up, New­ton­more pressed the home de­fence and they worked the ball to Cal­lum Stewart who found space on the right and, af­ter his ini­tial ef­fort had been blocked, he shot across the Kin­gussie keeper Robert Shiells to make it 2-1.

With 12 min­utes re­main­ing, the stage was set for Danny Macrae to make an im­pact and he did just that when he ran in on goal to get on the end of a ’More shy by the cor­ner flag on the left. Macrae took a touch be­fore clev­erly flick­ing the ball into the net to make it 2-2.

Kin­gussie keeper Robert Shiells was the man of the match, mak­ing a num­ber of ex­cel­lent saves.

Kin­gussie stay top of the ta­ble on goal dif­fer­ence, although they have played a game more than sec­ond-placed New­ton­more. Fort Wil­liam 2 Kin­lochshiel 3 The Kin­lochshiel and Fort Wil­liam sec­ond teams met for the sec­ond suc­ces­sive Satur­day.

This was to be a noon league en­counter at Kirk­ton but the match was switched to An Aird on Fri­day morn­ing when it was ruled ’Shiel’s pitch couldn’t host two matches.

A Don­nie Walker goal gave Fort Wil­liam vic­tory in their Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup tie a week ear­lier, but this time a Scott MacLean goal a cou­ple of min­utes from time gave ’Shiel a 3-2 win.

Vic­tor Smith fired Fort Wil­liam into a 16 minute lead, but Dun­can Mathe­son made it 1-1 at the break with a goal on 39 min­utes.

Neil Fraser put ’Shiel 2-1 ahead on 62 min­utes but Vic­tor Smith got his sec­ond on 69 min­utes.

The winning goal came with just two min­utes re­main­ing when Scot MacLean scored to give ’Shiel both points. Glenurquhart 2 Skye Ca­manachd 3 The Skye sec­onds beat Glenurquhart’s sec­ond team by the odd goal in five in their noon throw up at Blair­beg.

Skye raced into a 2- 0 lead with goals from Con­nor Gilpin on six min­utes and Ross Gor­don on 20 min­utes.

How­ever, a Calum Miller goal on 35 min­utes cut Skye’s lead at the break.

A David MacLen­nan penalty on 55 min­utes re­stored par­ity but the win­ner came on 65 min­utes when Ross Gor­don got his sec­ond, vol­ley­ing the ball into the cor­ner of the net to give Skye their first league win of the sea­son.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1

Kyles Ath­letic 0 Lochside Rovers 3 Lochside Rovers go sec­ond in the ta­ble on goal dif­fer­ence af­ter they beat the Kyles Ath­letic sec­ond team 3- 0 at Tighnabru­aich.

Craig MacDougall gave Lochside the lead on 22 min­utes with the only goal of the first half.

Iain MacMil­lan made it 2- 0 on 53 min­utes and Craig MacDougall got his sec­ond to make it 3-1 with 15 min­utes re­main­ing.

A special men­tion must go to Lochside’s Daniel Sloss, only 14, but looks a great prospect for the fu­ture

The sides are also sched­uled to meet at the same venue in the Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup sec­ond round this com­ing Satur­day, throw-up noon. Col Glen 0 Bute 0 Bute and Col Glen shared the points in a goal-less draw at Glen­daruel.

The match dou­bled up for the Hamish Carmichael Me­mo­rial Tro­phy. With the game ending in a draw, the sides went straight to a penalty shoot- out to de­ter­mine the des­ti­na­tion of the tro­phy which Bute won 3-1.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2

Caber­feidh 2 Strath­spey Ca­manachd 1 With ta­ble top­pers Glen­garry in cup ac­tion, the Caber­feidh colts took the op­por­tu­nity to draw level on points at the top of the ta­ble with a 2-1 win over third placed Strath­spey Ca­manachd at Cas­tle Leod.

Ruaraidh McCreadie put Caber­feidh ahead on 28 min­utes and they took that lead into the break.

Conor Aubrey lev­elled a minute af­ter the re-start but Caber­feidh’s John Ritchie grabbed the win­ner on 65 min­utes.

Caber­feidh now only trail Glen­garry on goal dif­fer­ence, but they have played a game more. Lochaber 10 Strath­glass 1 The Lochaber re­serves over­came the Strath­glass re­serves 10-1 at Spean Bridge.

Keith Neville on three min­utes and Sam Lees on six min­utes had Lochaber 2- 0 ahead.

Lach­lan Campbell on 12 min­utes and Stu­art Mathe­son a cou­ple of min­utes later dou­bled the home side’s ad­van­tage. A sec­ond from Keith Neville on 36 min­utes made it 5- 0 at half time. Neil Mac­Don­ald added a sixth a minute af­ter the re-start and although Barry John Phimis­ter pulled a goal back on 66 min­utes, a sec­ond from Lach­lan Campbell a cou­ple of min­utes later fol­lowed by Neil Mac­Don­ald’s sec­ond on 70 min­utes made it 8-1.

Lach­lan Campbell com­pleted his hat-trick on 77 min­utes and Stu­art Mathe­son got his sec­ond to make it 10-1 with six min­utes re­main­ing.

The win means Lochaber climb to fourth in the divi­sion. In­ver­ness 0 Lo­vat 10 The Lo­vat re­serves were too strong for an un­der-strength In­ver­ness re­serve side, winning 10- 0 at The Bught Park.

A num­ber of first team ab­sen­tees and some player un­avail­abil­ity left In­ver­ness boss Al­lan Ma­cleod short.

Lo­vat’s Dun­can Collings served the sec­ond game of a two match sus­pen­sion.

The goals were shared be­tween just two play­ers; young­ster Cameron MacMil­lan and the more experienced Ray­mond Ren­nie.

Ray­mond Ren­nie broke the dead­lock on 28 min­utes and Cameron MacMil­lan made it 2- 0 on 38 min­utes. Ren­nie got his sec­ond a cou­ple of min­utes later to make it 3- 0 at the break.

Ray­mond Ren­nie took his tally to six goals with ef­forts on 50, 60, 65 and 75 min­utes.

Ren­nie then turned provider as Cameron MacMil­lan net­ted a seven minute hat-trick as goals on 79, 84 and 86 min­utes took his to­tal for the day to four. Bole­sk­ine P Lochcarron P The match be­tween Bole­sk­ine and Lochcarron at Smith Park was post­poned as a mark of re­spect and to al­low the Bole­sk­ine play­ers at­tended the funeral of Pat Mac­Don­ald.

The match will be re-sched­uled for a later date. Kil­mallie P Lewis Ca­manachd P The match be­tween the Kil­mallie re­serves and Lewis Ca­manachd at The Canal Parks will be re-ar­ranged for a later date.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2

In­ver­aray 6 Stra­chur 0 League lead­ers In­ver­aray re­serves and sec­ond-placed Stra­chur met at The Win­ter­ton with the home side run­ning out 6- 0 win­ners.

In­ver­aray vet­eran de­fender An­drew McMurdo be­gan a twom­atch sus­pen­sion for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old.

Veter­ans David Robert­son and Euan McMurdo had In­ver­aray 2- 0 ahead with goals on seven and 19 min­utes.

Young Ruar­idh Graham added a third on 36 min­utes.

Euan McMurdo showed he still re­mem­bers where the goals are, tak­ing his tally to four goals with ef­forts on 65, 70 and 87 min­utes. Oban Lorn 3 Aber­dour 0 Oban Lorn notched their first win of the sea­son when they beat the Aber­dour sec­ond team 3- 0 at Gana­van.

Euan MacCorquo­dale gave the home side the lead on 31 min­utes and scored his sec­ond dou­ble in suc­ces­sive matches on 58 min­utes.

Drew Walker made it 3- 0 five min­utes from time. Dunoon Ca­manachd 1 Glas­gow Mid Argyll 2 A late Luke Thorn­ton goal gave the Glas­gow Mid Argyll sec­ond team a 2-1 win over Dunoon Ca­manachd at The Dunoon Sta­dium.

Ewan Ma­cLeod gave GMA the lead af­ter 15 min­utes.

This was Dunoon’s first home match of the sea­son and they drew level on 35 min­utes when Iain Grant scored.

The win­ner came seven min­utes from time when Luke Thorn­ton’s goal gave GMA the points, lift­ing them to fourth in the ta­ble.

WCA round-up

The Ma­rine Har­vest Va­lerie Fraser Cup semi-fi­nal­ists are known fol­low­ing the Women’s Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion fix­tures at the week­end.

Ma­rine Har­vest Va­lerie Fraser Cup - quar­ter fi­nals

Bade­noch & Strath­spey 1 Lochaber 2 Va­lerie Fraser Cup hold­ers Lochaber are through to the semi-fi­nals af­ter they beat Bade­noch & Strath­spey 2-1 in their 1.30pm throw-up at The Dell.

Ali­son MacVicar and Missy Cameron got the goals with Zoe Reid re­ply­ing for Bade­noch & Strath­spey. Lo­vat 1 Fort Wil­liam 0 Lo­vat notched their first win of the sea­son, beat­ing Fort Wil­liam 1- 0 in their 2.30pm throw-up at Bal­gate.

Nikki Grant got the all-im­por­tant goal. Fort Wil­liam’s Zoe Smith was close to a lev­eller, with her ef­fort ruled out for off­side. Cowal & Bute 0 Aber­dour 21 The more es­tab­lished Aber­dour side proved too much for Cowal & Bute, winning 21- 0 in their 12.30pm throw-up at Stra­chur­more.

Dawn Ryan scored six times, An­nie But­ter­worth net­ted four, Katie Booth claimed a hat-trick, both Ni­amh Donnelly and Me­gan McFar­lane bagged dou­bles whilst Kirsty Fraser, Eas­nadh Red­ding­ton, Katy Smith and Rosie Mul­li­gan got the oth­ers. Skye Ca­manachd W/O v Glas­gow Mid Argyll 2016 Va­lerie Fraser Cup run­ners up Skye Ca­manachd are through to the semi-fi­nals af­ter Glas­gow Mid Argyll were un­able to field a team for their tie at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, on Satur­day April 22.


Satur­day April 29 Artemis Macau­lay Cup First Round Aber­dour v Glas­gow MA David Mitchell - 3pm Fort Wil­liam v Glenurquhart Archie Ritchie - 3pm In­ver­aray v Oban Celtic Wil­lie Mac­Don­ald Kin­gussie v Lochaber Graham Cameron Kin­lochshiel v Lo­vat John An­gus Gil­lies Oban Cam v Bal­lachul­ish Deek Cameron This game is be­ing played at Bal­lachul­ish Skye v New­ton­more Neil Fer­gu­son Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Sec­ond Round Aber­dour v Kin­gussie Neil Mac­Don­ald - noon Fort Wil­liam v Oban Lorn Brian MacKay - noon Glenurquhart v Bole­sk­ine John Mathe­son Lochaber v Glen­garry Iain Kennedy Kyles Ath v Lochside Rovers Scott McNeil - noon New­ton­more v Lochcarron Martin MacLean Caber­feidh v In­ver­ness Steven MacLach­lan Bute vCaith­ness Ross Brown Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship Kyles Ath­letic v Kil­mallie Lachie Wood Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion Caber­feidh v Beauly Innes Wood Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 Aberdeen Uni v Beauly Andy MacLean Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 Col Glen v Taynuilt Des Mc­Nulty Glenorchy v Kil­mory Robert Bax­ter All throw-ups 2.30pm un­less stated.


Fri­day April 21 Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 Kin­gussie 2 v 2 New­ton­more Satur­day April 22 Bal­liemore Cup 2nd round Beauly 6 v 0 Glenorchy Aberdeen Uni 0 v 11 Caber­feidh Fort Wil­liam 2 v 1Aber­dour Kil­mory 0 v 3 Oban Celtic Skye 3 v 1 Strath­glass Tay­forth 1 v 5 In­ver­ness Taynuilt 5 v 2 Bal­lachul­ish Strathdearn Cup 1st round Beauly 0 v 8 Glen­garry Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship Glas­gow MA 1 v 0 Kil­mallie Glenurquhart 1 v 4 Kyles Ath Kin­lochshiel 2 v 0 Kin­gussie Lo­vat 2 v 1 Oban Ca­manachd New­ton­more 3 v 0 Lochaber Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 Glenurquhart 2 v 3 Skye Fort Wil­liam 2 v 3 Kin­lochshiel Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 Col Glen 0 v 0 Bute Kyles Ath 0 v 3 Lochside Rovers Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 Bole­sk­ine P– P Lochcarron Due to be­reave­ment Caber­feidh 2 v 1 Strath­spey In­ver­ness 0 v 10 Lo­vat Kil­mallie Pv P Lewis Tie to be resched­uled Lochaber 10 v 1 Strath­glass Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 Dunoon 1 v 2 Glas­gow MA In­ver­aray 6 v 0 Stra­chur Oban Lorn 3 v 0 Aber­dour

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron.

Glenurquhart’s Ar­ran Mac­Don­ald and Innes Mac­Don­ald from Kyles fight for the ball dur­ing last Satur­day’s Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship match.

Pho­to­graph: Stephen Law­son.

In­ver­aray’s David Robert­son and Stra­chur’s Ian MacLen­nan dur­ing last week­end’s South Divi­sion 2 match.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.