Best for shinty

The Oban Times - - Front Page -

DON’T miss our com­pre­hen­sive and un­ri­valled cov­er­age of ev­ery­thing that’s hap­pen­ing on the shinty scene.

KYLES Ath­letic and Kin­lochshiel main­tained their 100 per cent record in the Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship and Caber­feidh, In­ver­aray, Kil­mory and Skye made Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup progress fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day May 6.

Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup - first round Bute 0 Caber­feidh 5

Caber­feidh safely ne­go­ti­ated a tricky trip to The Mead­ows, beat­ing Bute 5- 0.

Bute con­trib­uted to a de­cent game, de­spite only hav­ing 12 play­ers avail­able. Their ab­sen­tees in­cluded in­flu­en­tial de­fender Ian Mac­Don­ald.

Fine goal-keep­ing from Bute’s Kevin Queen kept the tie score­less, de­spite pe­ri­ods of con­stant Caber­feidh pres­sure dur­ing the first 35 min­utes of the game. But the vis­i­tors went on to score four times in the re­main­der of the first half.

Martin Mac­Don­ald and Blair Mor­ri­son scored twice for Caber­feidh with Kevin Bartlett get­ting the fifth.

Caber­feidh were slick up front with Scot­tish in­ter­na­tional Kevin Bartlett their fo­cal point.

The tie went a bit flat in the sec­ond half, in­flu­enced per­haps by the fact it was a par­tic­u­larly hot day which sapped the play­ers’ en­ergy. In­deed, ref­eree Ross Brown stopped play mid­way through each half to al­low play­ers to take wa­ter on board.

Kil­mory 6 Taynuilt 0

Kil­mory were too strong for Taynuilt, win­ning 6- 0 at MacRae Park.

Alex Cun­ning­ham scored twice to put Kil­mory 2- 0 ahead and his younger brother Andrew Cun­ning­ham made it 3- 0 be­fore the in­ter­val.

Hal Jones scored twice early in the sec­ond half with Alex Cun­ning­ham com­plet­ing his hat-trick not long af­ter.

Alex Cun­ning­ham’s sec­ond strike was the pick of the af­ter­noon’s goals. Hal Jones ran to get on the end of a long hit to­wards the cor­ner flag. Jones crossed the ball hard and low to­wards the penalty spot where Alex Cun­ning­ham lost his marker and showed good con­trol be­fore driv­ing a shot home, send­ing the ball just in­side the post.

Aberdeen Univer­sity v Skye Ca­manachd W/O

Skye Ca­manachd were given a walk- over when Aberdeen Univer­sity were un­able to raise a team for their tie at Bal­go­wnie.

In­ver­aray W/O v Tay­forth

In­ver­aray also re­ceived a pass into the sec­ond round af­ter Tay­forth were un­able to raise a team for their game at The Win­ter­ton.

Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship Kin­lochshiel 4 New­ton­more 1

Kin­lochshiel con­firmed their ti­tle cre­den­tials by beat­ing reign­ing cham­pi­ons New­ton­more 4-1 at a warm Kirk­ton.

Throw-up was brought for­ward to noon to avoid a clash with a local funeral.

Both start­ing line-ups were un­changed from the pre­vi­ous Satur­day and Kin­lochshiel played up the slope in the first half.

New­ton­more were forced to make an early change when Ackie MacRae had to come off for ten min­utes to have a cut just above his ear at­tended to. Fraser MacKin­tosh came on to join the at­tack, with Craig Ritchie drop­ping into the buck­shee back po­si­tion. The home goal sur­vived a goal-mouth scram­ble af­ter Fraser MacKin­tosh showed good con­trol to find Rory Kennedy but his ball into the dan­ger area was even­tu­ally cleared.

Kin­lochshiel took the lead af­ter 12 min­utes. Nice pass­ing saw the ball played through the mid­dle of the New­ton­more de­fence. John MacRae ran to the right and held off Steven Mac­Don­ald be­fore cross­ing low to Jor­dan Fraser who lost his marker and slot­ted the ball past Nor­man Camp­bell with the vis­i­tors claim­ing for off­side.

Shortly af­ter, a clean strike from Keith MacRae on the Kin­lochshiel left nes­tled in the out­side of the side-net­ting, al­though keeper Camp­bell had his goal cov­ered.

Steven Mac­Don­ald took a knock in the lead up to MacRae’s strike and was able to con­tinue af­ter treat­ment.

The vis­i­tors were dis­rupted again on the half-hour as Jamie Robin­son limped off with what looked like a groin prob­lem and Paul MacArthur came on in his place. MacArthur went to wing cen­tre with Drew Mac­Don­ald go­ing to full cen­tre.

Paul MacArthur’s first in­volve­ment was to launch a ter­rific shy from the left. The ball fell to Iain Robin­son at the back post but Scott Kennedy made a fine save at the ex­pense of a cor­ner.

New­ton­more’s Michael Rus­sell was booked for a chal­lenge which up­ended Keith MacRae on the Kin­lochshiel left.

With the game mov­ing well into first half stop­page time, John MacRae cut into the ‘D’ from the Kin­lochshiel right, but col­lided with keeper Nor­man Camp­bell and a free-hit to the vis­i­tors was the out­come.

A num­ber of first half stop­pages led to more than five min­utes ad­di­tional time at the end of the first half and, with sec­onds to go, Paul MacArthur chal­lenged Gordie Mac­Don­ald on the New­ton­more left. MacArthur sent a high ball into the goal area which looked to be go­ing over the top. The ball dipped at the last minute though and went just un­der the cross­bar to give New­ton­more a for­tu­nate equaliser.

There was just enough time to restart the game be­fore ref­eree Deek Cameron blew for half time.

Both sides made changes at the break. Kin­lochshiel had to re­place Gordie Mac­Don­ald who ap­peared to hurt his knee in the chal­lenge with MacArthur at the end of the half. Ally Nixon came on in his place and played well. New­ton­more re­placed wing for­wards Iain Robin­son and Craig Ritchie with Fraser MacKin­tosh and David Fraser.

Kin­lochshiel, urged on by the ex­cel­lent Don­ald Nixon in mid­field, re­gained the lead on 57 min­utes. Steven Mac­Don­ald was pe­nalised for a chal­lenge and the re­sul­tant set-piece looked to have come from the train­ing field. The ball was played out to the right and when the ball was crossed to the edge of the ‘D’, John MacRae lost his marker to steer the ball home.

There was more de­light for the home sup­port three min­utes later. A Keith MacRae shot from dis­tance was saved with his legs by Nor­man Camp­bell but John MacRae re­acted first to touch the re­bound home.

A net-bound Keith MacRae shot on 70 min­utes was in­ad­ver­tently de­flected to safety by one of his own team mates.

New­ton­more, who had switched Rory Kennedy back to full cen­tre by this time, al­most re­duced the deficit a cou­ple of min­utes later. Fraser MacKin­tosh shot goal­wards from around the penalty spot, only for Scott Kennedy to dive across his goal to keep the ball out with his body.

With 15 min­utes re­main­ing, New­ton­more’s Drew Mac­Don­ald was with­drawn and Craig Ritchie came on to take over at buck­shee back. Michael Rus­sell went to full back with Steven Mac­Don­ald pushed up front, first to wing for­ward and then to full for­ward.

How­ever, it was Kin­lochshiel who added a fourth three min­utes from time. An Ackie MacRae clear­ance went straight to Keith MacRae who sent the ball high into the net to make it 4-1.

Kin­lochshiel are two points be­hind lead­ers Kyles Ath­letic with a game in hand.

Kyles Ath­letic 5 Lo­vat 0

Kyles Ath­letic stay two points clear at the top of the di­vi­sion af­ter they beat Lo­vat 5- 0 at Tighnabru­aich.

Cal­lum Miller was back in the Kyles start­ing line-up af­ter a ham­string prob­lem and the full back played the whole match. Grant Irvine also re­turned to the home squad af­ter a spell out through in­jury and he started on the bench.

Lo­vat trav­elled with­out Drew Howie and Craig Main­land and the in­jured Bai­ley MacKay. Cal­lum Cru­den went to full back where he had a good game against Roddy Mac­Don­ald.

Lo­vat played well in the first half but they had noth­ing to show for their ef­forts.

Kyles upped the pace af­ter the restart and three quick goals early in the sec­ond pe­riod put them in con­trol.

Sandy MacKen­zie opened the scor­ing on 48 and Roddy Mac­Don­ald made it 2- 0 three min­utes later.

Sandy MacKen­zie got his sec­ond on 53 min­utes to com­plete the early sec­ond half blitz.

The goals seemed to knock Lo­vat’s con­fi­dence and Kyles never looked like los­ing from then on.

Two late goals put gloss on the win as Grant Irvine net­ted on 77 min­utes and Sandy MacKen­zie grabbed a hat-trick goal six min­utes from time.

Kyles turned in a good per­for­mance. They are back to full strength and Roddy Mac­Don­ald has now scored in all nine of their com­pet­i­tive matches this sea­son.

Kin­gussie 1 Oban Ca­manachd 0

Just as he did in the cor­re­spond­ing fix­ture last sea­son, Roddy Young scored a minute from time to give Kin­gussie a 1- 0 win over Oban Ca­manachd at The Dell.

Kin­gussie were still with­out the in­jured James Fal­coner and with Lee Bain also miss­ing, Calum Grant was given a first start and he was ex­cel­lent in the buck­shee back po­si­tion.

Oban Ca­manachd were miss­ing Scott MacMil­lan who was work­ing and Con­nor Howe was another ab­sen­tee.

Kin­gussie had chances in the first half. Ryan Borth­wick hit the cross­bar, Savio Genini had a penalty saved by Gavin Sto­b­bart and Roddy Young sent a shot wide of tar­get.

It was Oban Ca­manachd’s turn to have the bet­ter chances in the sec­ond half as Matt Rip­pon hit the bar and Andrew MacCuish hit the post.

The Oban side had a great chance to take the lead on 83 min­utes when ref­eree Martin MacLean awarded them a penalty but Ai­dan MacIn­tyre sent his ef­fort the wrong side of the post.

Oban Ca­manachd were made to pay with a minute re­main­ing. The vis­i­tors seemed sure to clear a ball in the cor­ner area but Ryan Borth­wick chased the de­fender down and when his op­po­nent was un­able to get the ball away, Borth­wick won pos­ses­sion and played the ball to Roddy Young who sent a low, 25-yard shot into the bot­tom cor­ner of the net to make it 1- 0.

Kin­gussie boss Dal­las Young was more than happy with the win. ‘ I’m ab­so­lutely de­lighted,’ he said af­ter the game. ‘ Both sides were go­ing at it through­out the game and I must high­light Ryan Borth­wick’s role in our goal. He chased a ball that most play­ers would have given up on when the de­fender looked favourite to clear. He won pos­ses­sion and set up Roddy to score, just like he did in the game last year. Ryan’s con­tri­bu­tion left me with a smile on my face. I’m re­ally chuffed and I felt we did just enough to win the game.’

Lochaber 0 Kil­mallie 2

Kil­mallie earned a morale-boost­ing first league win of the sea­son, beat­ing Lochaber 2- 0 at Spean Bridge.

Lochaber’s Barry Mac­Don­ald was free of his two-match sus­pen­sion and started in mid­field. Brian Mac­Don­ald re­turned from in­jury to take up a place on the bench.

Kil­mallie’s Michael Rodger had served his two-match ban but Aaron San­di­son and Liam Cameron were still sus­pended.

Kil­mallie made the stronger start, tak­ing a di­rect ap­proach from the throw-up.

They got their re­ward on 11 min­utes when Michael Rodger made a long clear­ance from de­fence.

The ball fell to Craig MacIsaac who found Dun­can Rodger who turned his marker be­fore hit­ting a low shot just in­side keeper Cal­lum Mac­Don­ald’s left hand post. The ball took a bounce on the hard sur­face on its way into the net.

Bryan MacKay, who had come off the bench in the open­ing minute to re­place Ryan Ste­wart who had suf­fered a knock, scored Kil­mallie’s sec­ond goal on 36 min­utes.

Craig MacIsaac got on the end of a cor­ner and fed Dun­can Rodger who passed to MacKay who slammed the ball into the roof of the net to make it 2- 0.

Kil­mallie thought they had a third goal but Bryan MacKay’s low strike hit the side stan­chion and bounced back into play. Ref­eree John An­gus Gil­lies con­sulted with his goal judge and dis­al­lowed the ef­fort.

With the first half draw­ing to a close, Craig MacIsaac hit a blis­ter­ing shot which was well saved by Cal­lum Mac­Don­ald.

Lochaber came out fight­ing from the re-start and al­most pulled a goal back when Stu­art Cal­li­son turned his marker and ri­fled what seemed an un­stop­pable shot, only for Kil­mallie goalie Shane Gil­lies to pull off an un­be­liev­able save, turn­ing the ball away for a cor­ner.

Kil­mallie were awarded a penalty on 70 min­utes when Cal­lum Mac­Don­ald lifted his foot whist sav­ing a Dun­can Rodger shot but Roger fired the re­sul­tant penalty wide of the keeper’s right-hand post.

This spurred Lochaber on again and Shane Gil­lies had to make another great save, this time deny­ing Shaun Ni­col­son on 75 min­utes.

Kil­mallie did enough to win the game over the 90 min­utes. It was a clean, hard-fought local derby with no cards shown by ref­eree Gil­lies.

Lochaber’s Barry Mac­Don­ald played well and Stu­art Cal­li­son worked tire­lessly up front.

Kil­mallie had sev­eral good per­form­ers with Innes Black­hall man of the match, dis­play­ing great grit and de­ter­mi­na­tion in the cen­tre line.

Michael Rodger was com­mand­ing at buck­shee back and full for­ward Dun­can Rodger caused the Lochaber de­fence prob­lems through­out the game. Shane Gil­lies made two or three in­cred­i­ble saves to earn his clean sheet.

There was more good news for Kil­mallie as de­fender Steven Ste­wart and for­ward Daniel Ste­wart look set to join the club af­ter pre­vi­ously play­ing for Fort Wil­liam. Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 2 Glenurquhart 2 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll and Glenurquhart shared the points fol­low­ing a 2-2 draw in their 3pm throw-up at Yoker.

GMA were with­out Mark Bain who was on hol­i­day, whilst Glenurquhart were mi­nus John Barr, Neale Reid, Con­nor Go­labeck and Euan Lloyd.

Fraser Heath was one of Glenurquhart’s best play­ers on the day and he opened the scor­ing on 16 min­utes.

Ref­eree Will Mac­Don­ald awarded GMA a penalty shortly af­ter but Craig An­der­son missed from the spot.

GMA drew level on 28 min­utes when Craig An­der­son gath­ered a short cor­ner and drib­bled along the by-line into the ‘ D’ where he played the ball across goal where Iain Luke fin­ished.

Glenurquhart were then awarded a penalty when keeper Robert Dun­nings was ad­judged to have kicked the ball. The ref­eree pointed to the spot af­ter con­sult­ing his goal judge. The home side were ag­grieved, claim­ing their keeper played the ball with his stick. James MacPher­son was un­de­terred as he slammed home the spot-hit to make it 2-1.

GMA had a lot of pos­ses­sion and ter­ri­to­rial ad­van­tage in the sec­ond half and lev­elled for a sec­ond time on 65 min­utes when a Brian Slat­tery shy ended up in the back off the net, al­though Glenurquhart’s Ed­die Tembo may have got the fi­nal touch.

Glenurquhart’s cause wasn’t helped when they had David MacLen­nan sent off mid­way through the sec­ond half and GMA will be dis­ap­pointed not to have taken both points.

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion Beauly 2 Fort Wil­liam 2

Fort Wil­liam missed out on a chance to go top of the Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion when they drew 2-2 with Beauly at Brae­view Park.

Beauly ab­sen­tees in­cluded Liam Gir­van, Con­nor Ross and Sean Ste­wart.

Fort Wil­liam’s Bryan Simp­son was free of sus­pen­sion but didn’t travel.

Fort keeper Paul MacKay did well to thwart Jack Mac­Don­ald be­fore Beauly took the lead. Sandy El­rick and Jack Mac­Don­ald com­bined on the Beauly left to set up Ross Forbes at the edge of the ‘D’ who turned and scored to make it 1- 0 with 28 min­utes played.

Lewis Clark lev­elled on the stroke of half time when he got on the end of Calum Shep­herd’s cross to score.

A low Daniel La­mont shot from 25 yards out on the right put the home side back in front on 56 min­utes.

How­ever, Gra­ham Camp­bell re­stored par­ity a minute later when he got on the end of a high ball for­ward to score.

Both sides hit the frame of the goal in the fi­nal third of the match and al­though Fort Wil­liam fin­ished strongly, Beauly held on to earn a point.

The vis­i­tors al­most snatched a win­ner at the death when Calum Shep­herd scored, but one of his team mates was ruled off­side.

Fort Wil­liam have a home Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup first round tie against Oban Celtic this com­ing Satur­day whilst Beauly head for Skye in the league.

Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 1 Fort Wil­liam 3 Kin­gussie 4

The Kin­gussie colts move a point clear at the top of the ta­ble af­ter they came from two goals down to beat the Fort Wil­liam colts 4-3 at An Aird.

Vic­tor Smith on 37 min­utes

and Jay MacLeod on 48 min­utes had the Fort 2- 0 ahead. How­ever, Liam Borth­wick struck twice on 50 and 53 min­utes to make it 2-2.

Cal Brown put Fort Wil­liam back in front on 62 min­utes, but Kevin Thain, who had passed up a cou­ple of chances in the first half, scored on 66 and 70 min­utes to give Kin­gussie a 4-3 win.

Glenurquhart 0 New­ton­more 0

The New­ton­more sec­onds and the Glenurquhart sec­onds shared the points in a 0- 0 draw at Blair­beg.

Both teams were un­der strength and New­ton­more are now a point be­hind lead­ers Kin­gussie but they have a game in hand. This was the Glenurquhart sec­onds first point of the sea­son.

Skye Ca­manachd 2 Kin­lochshiel 1

An Iain MacLel­lan goal three min­utes from time gave the Skye Ca­manachd sec­ond team a 2-1 derby win over the Kin­lochshiel sec­onds at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Scott MacLean threaded a pass through the Skye de­fence for Neil Fraser to net the opener on 11 min­utes.

A great Ross Gor­don run in from the left ended with the young­ster con­fi­dently knock­ing the ball home just three min­utes af­ter the re-start. There were chances at both ends be­fore Iain MacLel­lan bun­dled home the win­ner on 87 min­utes. The win lifts Kenny MacLeod’s side to third in the ta­ble. Marine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1

Glenorchy 0 Lochside Rovers 6

Lochside Rovers were back on the road, this time beat­ing Glenorchy 6- 0 at Mart Park; a vic­tory which takes them to the top of Marine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1.

Craig MacDougall scored twice on 10 and 15 min­utes, whilst Scott MacMil­lan, who played as his work pat­tern pre­vented him from trav­el­ling with the first team, made it 3- 0 on 28 min­utes.

Lewis Buchanan added a fourth on the stroke of half time. Lewis Buchanan got his sec­ond on 49 min­utes and Scott MacMil­lan net­ted for the sec­ond time a cou­ple of min­utes be­fore the fi­nal whis­tle.

Col Glen 0 Kyles Ath­letic 5

The Kyles Ath­letic sec­onds re­turned from Glen­daruel with both points fol­low­ing a 5- 0 win over Col Glen.

The match was orig­i­nally sched­uled to take place at Tighnabru­aich but the venue was reversed dur­ing the week.

A Ru­pert Wil­liamson goal on five min­utes set­tled Kyles into the game and a David Boyle dou­ble on 35 and 38 min­utes gave them the up­per-hand.

Paddy Mul­hol­land on the hour and Kyle Mc­martin 10 min­utes from time rounded off the win. Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2

Strath­glass 0 Glen­garry 7

League lead­ers Glen­garry go two points clear at the top of the ta­ble af­ter beat­ing the Strath­glass sec­ond team 7- 0 at Can­nich.

Ray­mond Robert­son opened the scor­ing on nine min­utes and Daniel MacLen­nan made it 2- 0 on the half hour. A goal glut fol­lowed af­ter the break. Ray­mond Robert­son on 49 min­utes and Daniel MacLen­nan six min­utes later dou­bled the vis­i­tors’ lead.

Ray­mond Robert­son took his tally to four goals with strikes on 70 and 75 min­utes with Seven Cameron scor­ing on 72 min­utes.

Lochcar­ron 1 Lochaber 2

The Lochaber sec­ond team came from a goal down to beat Lochcar­ron 2-1 at Bat­tery Park.

Liam Arnott gave the home sup­port some­thing to cheer about with a goal af­ter 30 min­utes. How­ever, Keith Neville drew Lochaber level on 39 min­utes. And it was Neville who got his sec­ond on 61 min­utes to give the vis­i­tors the points.

In­ver­ness 2 Bole­sk­ine 1

The In­ver­ness colts de­feated Bole­sk­ine 2-1 at The Bught Park.

Andy Reid gave In­ver­ness the lead on 43 min­utes and Jack Craig made it 2- 0 on 49 min­utes.

Bole­sk­ine’s Lewis Smith pulled a goal back on 62 min­utes but Al­lan MacLeod’s side stayed in front to se­cure their sec­ond league win of the sea­son. Lo­vat 2 Strath­spey Ca­manachd 4 Strath­spey Ca­manachd beat the Lo­vat sec­ond team 4-2 at Bal­gate.

Strath­spey made a blis­ter­ing start to the game with Struan Ross scor­ing on seven and 11 min­utes and Don­ald Colville get­ting a third a minute later.

A Lo­vat fight-back saw Ray­mond Ren­nie pull a goal back on 22 min­utes and Con­nal MacIl­lechiar made it 3-2 on 51 min­utes.

MacIl­lechiar’s goal was a great fin­ish, strik­ing a drop­ping ball which had spun in the air be­tween Ray­mond Ren­nie and the full back.

Lo­vat went all out for a lev­eller with Steven Shand in the vis­it­ing goal making a num­ber of good saves, par­tic­u­larly from Ray­mond Ren­nie.

How­ever, Jonathan Gray made it 4-2 15 min­utes from time with a shot from dis­tance which dipped into the roof of the net.

The home side had a late chance to re­duce the deficit when ref­eree Scott McNeil awarded them a penalty but Shand saved Ren­nie’s well­struck spot-hit.

Strath­spey stay third in the di­vi­sion.

Lewis Ca­manachd P Caber­feidh P

The match be­tween Lewis Ca­manachd and the Caber­feidh sec­onds at Shaw­bost will be resched­uled for a later date.

Marine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 2 In­ver­aray 5 Bute 0

The In­ver­aray sec­onds are now three points clear at the top of the ta­ble af­ter they de­feated the Bute sec­onds 5- 0 in their noon throw-up at a bak­ing hot Win­ter­ton.

The home side started with U18 quar­tet Robert Wood, Alan Cameron, Andrew Fraser and Lewis Cameron in de­fence.

They all played well, lim­it­ing Bute, who had ab­sen­tees as their first team were short.

Bute found it dif­fi­cult to han­dle the move­ment of In­ver­aray U14 for­wards Coll MacKay and Camp­bell Watt, helped by the ex­pe­ri­enced David Robert­son and Garry MacPher­son.

Their play pro­duced three first half goals with Garry MacPher­son net­ting on 16 and 44 min­utes, ei­ther side of a 27th minute Camp­bell Watt strike.

Bute made a tac­ti­cal change for the sec­ond half, pulling a for­ward back to make up a five­man de­fence.

This eased the pres­sure on a Bute de­fence which was wellled by the ex­pe­ri­enced Ste­wart Stir­ling at full back.

Some re­mark­able goal-keep­ing from John Whitelaw helped keep the score-line down.

In­ver­aray did score twice more through David Robert­son on 57 and 60 min­utes to make it 5- 0.

Oban Lorn 1 Stra­chur 0

Oban Lorn go sec­ond in the di­vi­sion af­ter they beat Stra­chur 1- 0 in a tight match at Gana­van, Oban.

Ewan MacCorquo­dale got the only goal of the game af­ter 20 min­utes, con­tin­u­ing a scor­ing run which has seen him net five times in Oban Lorn’s three fix­tures so far.

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 5 Aber­dour 0

The Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll re­serves move up to third in the ta­ble af­ter they se­cured a 5- 0 vic­tory over the Aber­dour re­serves in their noon throw-up at Yoker.

For­mer Kil­mallie player Seb MacMil­lan scored the only goal of the first half af­ter 15 min­utes.

An­gus MacInnes made it 2- 0 on 54 min­utes and Con­nor MacLeod added a third five min­utes later.

Con­nor MacLeod got his sec­ond on 80 min­utes with Ross Fraser round­ing off the scor­ing five min­utes from time.

All throw-ups were 2.30pm un­less the match re­ports states dif­fer­ently.

WCA round-up

The ladies ac­tion fo­cused on the Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion 1 and the open­ing round of the Marine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup.

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion 1 Aber­dour 1 Lochaber 4

Lochaber top Marie Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion 1 af­ter they over­came Aber­dour 4-1 in their 1.30pm throw-up at Sil­ver­sands.

Kirsty De­laney net­ted twice for Lochaber with Natalie Mac­Don­ald and Sarah Davie also scor­ing. Ni­amh Don­nelly net­ted for Aber­dour. Bade­noch & Strath­spey 2 Fort Wil­liam 0 Bade­noch & Strath­spey beat Fort Wil­liam 2- 0 in their 2pm throw-up at The Dell. Jeanette McGre­gor scored both Bade­noch goals.

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll P Lo­vat P

The match be­tween Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll and Lo­vat at Yoker was post­poned as Lo­vat were un­able to raise a team.

Lo­vat have been de­ducted a point and the match will be re-sched­uled for a later date.

Marine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup – first round Glenurquhart 3 In­ver­ness 4

In­ver­ness beat Glenurquhart 4-3 in their noon throw-up at Blair­beg on Satur­day May 6. Hazel Hunter scored all the Glenurquhart goals.

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 2 Strath­spey 0

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll de­feated Strath­spey 2- 0 in their 12.30pm throw-up at Yoker. Kirsten Grant and Iona Cooper got the goals.

Tay­forth 13 Lorne Ladies 1

Tay­forth and Lorne Ladies met in a 1.30pm throw-up at Mus­sel­burgh.

An Ara­bella Ken­nard hat­trick and dou­bles from Rachael Ad­di­son, Joey Mil­lar and Kirsty McIn­tyre and strikes from Isla Mackay, Er­raid Sin­clair, Kathryn MacLean and Ash­ley Brown­lee counted for Tay­forth with Ali­son Fer­gu­son scor­ing for the Oban side.

Du­nadd 2 Ard­na­mur­chan 2 Ard­na­mur­chan won 5- 3 af­ter ex­tra- time.

Ard­na­mur­chan edged out Du­nadd 5-3 af­ter ex­tra-time in their 1.30pm throw-up at Ar­dr­ishaig.

The match fin­ished 2-2 at the end of reg­u­la­tion time be­fore Ard­na­mur­chan surged ahead for the win.

Lucy MacMil­lan, Kate Bradley, Rachel Ford and a Joanne Ford dou­ble gave Ard­na­mur- chan the win with Carla Todd, Grace Jef­frey and Ni­cola Smyth scor­ing for Du­nadd.

Glen­garry 6 Lochaber 1

Glen­garry beat the Lochaber sec­onds 6-1 in their 1.30pm throw-up at Craigard.

Joanne Gil­lan­ders grabbed a Glen­garry hat-trick with Mar­garet Jane Mal­colm, Megan Ste­wart and Leona Fal­coner also scor­ing. Caitlin Mac­Don­ald bagged the Lochaber goal.

Va­lerie Fraser Ca­manachd Cup semi-fi­nal draw

THE DRAW for the Marine Har­vest Va­lerie Fraser Ca­manachd Cup semi-fi­nals was made at Craigard on Sun­day May 7.

Lo­vat will play Skye Ca­manachd with Lochaber fac­ing Aber­dour. Both ties will be played at neu­tral venues on Sun­day June 25.

The draw for the Marine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup quar­ter-fi­nals was also made:

Cowal & Bute v Tay­forth; Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll v Oban Lorne; In­ver­ness v Glen­garry; Ard­na­mur­chan v Strath­glass. The ties will be played on Sun­day May 28.

Youth round-up

Marine Har­vest U17 Lon­don Shield – Sec­tion A: Kin­lochshiel over­came Strath­glass 3-1 at Plock­ton High School. WD MacRae and a Dun­can Mathe­son dou­ble counted for the home side. Colin Birnie coun­tered for Strath­glass. The match be­tween Skye Ca­manachd Fort Wil­liam at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, was post­poned.

Marine Har­vest U17 Lon­don Shield – Sec­tion B: Kin­gussie beat Oban Ca­manachd 5-1 at The Dell. Roddy Young and Dy­lan Young both bagged braces, whilst Liam Borth­wick got the other. Lewis Buchanan scored for the Oban side.

South of Scot­land U17 Tro­phy - MacQuis­ton Cup: The first round of the MacQuis­ton Cup took place at Craigard.

Bute, Col Glen, In­ver­aray and Oban Ca­manachd all took part in a round-robin se­ries of matches. Oban Ca­manachd, with two wins and a draw, fin­ished top of the pile, ahead of Col Glen who drew all their three games.

The next round of fix­tures is sched­uled for Stra­chur­more on Wed­nes­day May 17.

North of Scot­land U17 Tro­phy – MacTav­ish Cup: New­ton­more beat Kil­mallie 2- 0 at the Ei­lan, whilst Glenurquhart were given a walk- over against Caber­feidh.

Marine Har­vest U17 De­velop- ment League – W J Cameron: Skye Ca­manachd B beat Lo­vat 13-1 at Bal­gate. Niall MacPhee scored four times, Jamie MacPhie grabbed a hat-trick and Abby MacLean, Mark MacQueen and Liam MacPhie bagged dou­bles. Cameron MacMil­lan got the Lo­vat goal.

The match be­tween Glen­garry and In­ver­ness at Craigard was post­poned.

Marine Har­vest U14 League, Sec­tion A: Kin­gussie beat Lo­vat 7- 0 at The Dell. Lochaber edged out New­ton­more, win­ning 7-5 at Spean Bridge. Max Camp­bell scored six Lochaber goals with Tyler Whyte also net­ting. Four goals from Brodie MacBain and a Fin­lay Pater­son ef­fort counted for New­ton­more. Sec­tion B: Fort Wil­liam de­feated Ard­na­mur­chan 5-1 at An Aird. Sean MacLel­lan got the Ard­na­mur­chan goal but Archie MacKin­non, Craig Mac­Don­ald, two from Al­fie Dun­can and a Hamish Shaw strike gave Fort Wil­liam the win.

Kil­mallie over­came Glen­garry 7- 4 at Canal Parks. Con­nor MacKen­zie and Ai­den Love both scored twice for the home side with El­lie Bis­set, Ben MacKin­non and Andrew Ding­wall also net­ting. Glen­garry’s goals came from Cameron Fraser, two, and Fin­lay Fraser and Joshua Sey­mour. Sec­tion C: Kin­lochshiel pow­ered past a young Caber­feidh side with a 17- 0 win. Archie MacRae scored six times, Sam Stubbs net­ted four times, Corin Jack grabbed a hat-trick whilst Mark Whear, Ar­ran Jack, Nathan Ste­wart and Zan­der MacRae were also on tar­get. Sec­tion D: In­ver­ness beat Glenurquhart 3- 0 with Fin­lay Calder scor­ing all three goals.

Marine Har­vest U14 South League: In the open­ing round of fix­tures, Bal­lachul­ish beat Oban Lorn 9-1.

Daniel MacLean got three goals, Lewis Mo­ran scored twice whilst David Wil­son, Fraser MacLean, Leon Lawrie and Blair Ni­chol­son got the oth­ers. Wil­liam MacEwen scored for the Oban side.

The matches be­tween Dunoon and Oban Ca­manachd and Bute and Kil­mory will be re-ar­ranged for a later date.

Kin­gussie High School win MacBean Cup: Kin­gussie High School won the MacBean Cup at An Aird on Wed­nes­day May 3 beat­ing Glenurquhart High School in a close fi­nal which went all the way to penal­ties.

The Fraser MacPhee Pri­mary School shinty tour­na­ment takes place at An Aird on Sun­day June 18.

Any teams in­ter­ested in tak­ing part should contact Niall MacPhee on 07957166152 or email at nail4­fort@hot­mail. com.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

Roddy Young, right, cel­e­brates his late win­ning goal for Kin­gussie against Oban Ca­manachd.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

Alexan­der Michie, Kin­gussie, left, and Mal­colm Clark, Oban Ca­manachd, in ac­tion in the Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship clash at the Dell on Satur­day.

Ac­tion from last Satur­day’s Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship game be­tween Lochaber and Kil­mallie which Kil­mallie won 2 - 0. It was Kil­mallie’s first league win of the sea­son. Pho­to­graph: Abright­side Photography.

Pho­to­graph: Stephen Law­son.

Craig MacMil­lan, Lochside Rovers, left, and Dy­lan Cook, Glenorchy, tus­sle for the ball dur­ing their game at The Mart park last Satur­day.

Pho­to­graph: Stephen Law­son.

John MacKen­zie, of In­ver­aray’s sec­ond team, and Andrew MacLauch­lin, Bute sec­onds, in ac­tion at The Win­ter­ton on Satur­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.