Oban Ca­manachd and Kyles reach Celtic So­ci­ety Cup fi­nal

The Oban Times - - SPORT -

OBAN Ca­manachd and Kyles Ath­letic will con­test the Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup Fi­nal and New­ton­more will play ei­ther Kin­lochshiel or Kil­mallie in the MacTav­ish Cup Fi­nal fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day May 13.

Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup - first round Fort Wil­liam 3 Oban Celtic 3

Fort Wil­liam and Oban Celtic will have to do it all over again this Satur­day af­ter they drew 3-3 in their Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup first round tie at An Aird.

Fort Wil­liam’s Bryan Simp­son was free of sus­pen­sion for this 3pm throw-up but didn’t play. Alexan­der MacMil­lan was also miss­ing.

Oban Celtic suf­fered a num­ber of late with­drawals. Top scorer Neil Carmichael had a foot in­jury whilst Ally McKer­racher, Lee Askew, Rory Bruce, David MacInnes and Scott Bur­nett were un­avail­able. Iain MacK­ech­nie and Michael MacKin­non were car­ry­ing knocks. How­ever, goal­keeper Stephen David­son and full back John Hill both re­turned to the start­ing line-up.

Oban Celtic started well and were 2- 0 ahead in­side 12 min­utes. Daniel Madej got the opener in the first minute and dou­bled the Oban side’s lead on 12 min­utes.

Fort Wil­liam’s re­sponse was im­me­di­ate as their im­pres­sive full cen­tre Ar­ran MacPhee pulled a goal back just a minute later.

A bit of con­fu­sion in the Oban Celtic de­fence lead to the Fort’s equaliser. Celtic keeper Stephen David­son thought he heard a call to al­low a low ball to run out of play but it crept just in­side the post, much to the dis­ap­point­ment of ev­ery­one in a green and white jer­sey.

Fort Wil­liam moved up a gear but the Celtic de­fence held tight and they re­gained the lead on 26 min­utes when make-shift full for­ward Andy Mac­Don­ald, who had an ex­cel­lent game, brought the ball down and held off his marker be­fore slip­ping a pass to Al­lan Mackie who rif­fled the ball home from 25 yards.

Fort Wil­liam started the sec­ond half in search of an equaliser and it came on 51 min­utes when sub­sti­tute JD MacMaster was al­lowed time and space to bring the ball un­der con­trol from a cor­ner and net­ted to make it 3-3.

Fort Wil­liam were re­duced to 11 men shortly af­ter when ref­eree Ross Brown sent off Lewis Clark fol­low­ing an in­ci­dent with Andy Hunt.

Oban Celtic were un­able to make the ex­tra man count and they too fell a man short when full back John Hill picked up his sec­ond book­ing of the game.

Oban Celtic should have a num­ber of play­ers back for the re­play which takes place at Moss­field this Satur­day with a 2.30pm start. A sec­ond round tie at home to New­ton­more is at stake. Strath­glass 4 Bal­lachul­ish 0 Strath­glass will host Kil­mory in the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup sec­ond round af­ter they beat Bal­lachul­ish 4- 0 in their 3pm throw-up at Can­nich.

Two goals late in the first half put the home side in con­trol.

Scott Dou­glas got the opener on 41 min­utes with Dar­ren Reid adding a sec­ond 60 sec­onds later.

Steven Hyslop made it 3- 0 on 64 min­utes and Josh Fraser rounded off the 4- 0 win four min­utes from time.

MacTav­ish Cup - semi fi­nal New­ton­more 3 Glenurquhart 1

Three goals in the fi­nal 30 min­utes gave New­ton­more a 3-1 win over Glenurquhart in their 3pm throw-up at The Ei­lan.

New­ton­more man­ager Paul John MacK­in­tosh made changes to his side af­ter the pre­vi­ous week’s 4-1 league de­feat to Kin­lochshiel.

Rory Kennedy went to full back with Steven Mac­Don­ald switch­ing to buck­shee for­ward. Jamie Robin­son was in­jured so vet­eran Kenny Ross was called up from the sec­ond team to start at full cen­tre. Craig Ritchie slot­ted in at wing back in place of Andy MacK­in­tosh who hurt his groin in train­ing dur­ing the week.

Glenurquhart boss Iain Ma­cLeod wel­comed John Barr and An­drew Cor­ri­gan back into de­fence. Con­nor Go­labeck and Euan Lloyd also re­turned with the lat­ter start­ing on the bench. Neale Reid, who has been miss­ing in re­cent weeks with a ham­string prob­lem, was listed as a sub­sti­tute, whilst David MacLen­nan was sus­pended.

The first half lacked en­ter­tain­ment and the clos­est to a goal was a Steven Mac­Don­ald ef­fort which came back off the post whilst, at the other end, a James MacPher­son ef­fort was well­saved by Nor­man Campbell.

Glenurquhart full back John Barr was mark­ing Glen MacK­in­tosh but New­ton­more moved MacK­in­tosh to buck­shee for­ward with 10 first half min­utes re­main­ing and he stayed there for the rest of the game.

Glen MacK­in­tosh was find­ing more space in his new role and broke the dead­lock on the hour mark as he hit a ground stroke from a tight an­gle on the New­ton­more left, the ball tak­ing the slight­est de­flec­tion off John Barr to beat Garry MacK­in­tosh in the Glenurquhart goal.

New­ton­more started to use full for­ward Drew Mac­Don­ald in wide po­si­tions on ei­ther wing with John Barr left to de­cide whether to fol­low him or stay on the ‘D’.

Glenurquhart made their first change on 57 min­utes when Euan Lloyd re­placed Ed­die Tembo.

New­ton­more in­tro­duced Iain Robin­son for Fraser MacK­in­tosh for the fi­nal third of the game and Drew Mac­Don­ald scored from in­side the ‘D’ to make it 2- 0 on 70 min­utes. Glenurquhart claimed for an ear­lier in­fringe­ment on An­drew Cor­ri­gan, but ref­eree Deek Cameron waved away their pleas. Clever play from Glen MacK­in­tosh made it 3- 0 with five min­utes re­main­ing. MacK­in­tosh was com­posed un­der pres­sure as he lifted the ball past the keeper to score.

Neale Reid’s in­tro­duc­tion gave Glenurquhart more of a cut­ting edge in at­tack and he bagged a crack­ing goal in the fi­nal minute, tak­ing a Daniel MacK­in­tosh free-hit in the air to score.

Rory Kennedy was im­pres­sive for New­ton­more, whilst Kenny Ross put in a power of work be­fore he was taken off.

New­ton­more now await the win­ners of this Satur­day’s semi-fi­nal be­tween Kin­lochshiel and Kil­mallie, whilst Glenurquhart will be con­cerned about a late hand in­jury, suf­fered in a chal­lenge with Glen MacK­in­tosh, which is likely to keep John Barr side­lined for a num­ber of weeks.

Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup - semi fi­nal Kyles Ath­letic 3 Glas­gow Mid Argyll 0

Hold­ers Kyles Ath­letic reached the Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup Fi­nal thanks to a 3- 0 win over Glas­gow Mid Argyll in their 3pm throw-up at Tighnabru­aich.

Kyles did the dam­age in the first half with Scott Mac­Don­ald gav­ing them the lead on 23 min­utes.

Thomas Whyte made it 2- 0 five min­utes later and a sec­ond Scott Mac­Don­ald strike three min­utes be­fore the break gave Kyles a com­fort­able 3- 0 lead.

GMA played as well as they have done against Kyles for a num­ber of years.

How­ever, they couldn’t take their chances.

Euan Forsyth hit the post in the sec­ond half from a well-worked cor­ner and he had an­other good chance late on.

Kyles were clin­i­cal and took their chances well, main­tain­ing their 100 per cent record this sea­son.

GMA’s Ryan Har­ri­son did what no other de­fender has man­aged this sea­son; he pre­vented Kyles for­ward Roddy Mac­Don­ald from scor­ing. Innes MacMil­lan took over the mark­ing du­ties when Har­ri­son was moved to half for­ward late in the sec­ond half.

In­ver­aray 0 Oban Ca­manachd 1

Oban Ca­manachd will play Kyles Ath­letic in the Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup Fi­nal af­ter they beat In­ver­aray 1- 0 at The Win­ter­ton.

In­ver­aray man­ager Ruaraidh Gra­ham made a change with Ni­cholas Craw­ford re­turn­ing to his half back role mean­ing Hamish MacLen­nan started on the wing. This was just re­ward for the young­ster who has been on great form re­cently and has a fan­tas­tic at­ti­tude to­wards train­ing.

Oban Ca­manachd boss Iain Hay had to do with­out de­fender Scott McKil­lop who went over his an­kle in train­ing. Garry Lord made his first se­nior team ap­pear­ance of the sea­son af­ter suf­fer­ing a bro­ken leg in a pre-sea­son friendly with Strath­glass.

Both de­fences looked solid from the throw-up, play­ing very well and demon­strat­ing a high level of fit­ness and com­po­sure on the ball.

Oban Ca­manachd made the break-through on 35 min­utes. There was a melee in­side the ‘D’ fol­low­ing a cor­ner. In­ver­aray keeper Scott MacLach­lan made a save but Daniel Cameron tapped the re­bound home from close range to make it 1- 0. A mix­ture of good goal­keep­ing from Scott MacLach­lan and waste­ful fin­ish­ing pre­vented the Oban side from scor­ing more first half goals.

In­ver­aray tried to get a goal back and had a pe­riod of pres­sure be­fore half time but the Ca­manachd de­fence, in which Gary McKer­racher was out­stand­ing at full back against In­ver­aray dan­ger man Al­lan Mac­Don­ald, stood strong.

The sec­ond half started in much the same fash­ion with both teams look­ing dan­ger­ous on the counter at­tack but un­able to con­vert the pres­sure into a goal.

As the tie moved into the fi­nal third, In­ver­aray re­placed Dou­glas Dando, who was suf­fer­ing from a strained achilles, with Ally McDon­ald. Hamish MacLen­nan also came off with young Ruaraidh Gra­ham tak­ing over on the wing.

Oban Ca­manachd had a lot of pos­ses­sion in the sec­ond half with­out cre­at­ing too many chances and In­ver­aray were al­ways dan­ger­ous on the break.

With time run­ning out, In­ver­aray fin­ished strongly with their cen­tre line clos­ing down their op­po­nents at ev­ery op­por­tu­nity.

In­ver­aray were un­able to con­jure up an equaliser though and with three min­utes in­jury time played, ref­eree Gra­ham Cameron blew for time.

In­ver­aray will be happy with their stan­dard of play con­sid­er­ing they are go­ing through a tran­si­tional phase and they want to in­stall a win­ning men­tal­ity within the squad.

Oban Ca­manachd will now play Kyles Ath­letic in the 2017 Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup Fi­nal.

The sides meet at Tighnabru­aich in the league this Satur­day with a noon throw-up.

Strathdearn Cup – sec­ond round Lochcar­ron 1 Kin­gussie 3

The Kin­gussie sec­ond team came from a goal down to de­feat Lochcar­ron 3-1 at Bat­tery Park.

Lochcar­ron’s Sean MacCuish was ruled out with a bro­ken thumb.

Kin­gussie fielded Rory Fraser at full back and Kevin Thain at full for­ward in what was oth­er­wise a very young squad.

The match started off at a good pace with Lochcar­ron threat­en­ing the Kin­gussie goal af­ter three min­utes when Peter MacKen­zie shot wide of the post.

Lochcar­ron were awarded a free-hit on 10 min­utes, just in their own half, and Cris­dean Fin­layson found Lance MacCuish who un­leashed a pow­er­ful 25-yard shot which flew into the roof of the Kin­gussie net.

Kin­gussie pressed for an equaliser and home full back Dou­glas MacKen­zie was play­ing well against Kevin Thain, stop­ping the hit-man from cre­at­ing shoot­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties.

Lochcar­ron had a good chance to dou­ble their lead when good for­ward play ended with a sub­lime Liam Arnott pass to Peter Macken­zie who was left un­marked on the edge of the ‘D’ - but he shot high over the cross­bar.

Kin­gussie equalised on 40 min­utes when Dy­lan Borth­wick turned his marker and sent a low shot past keeper Iain Cameron’s left-hand post.

Kin­gussie took the lead for the first time on the stroke of half time. A good shy from the right sent the ball into the ‘D’ where it fell kindly at the back post for an un­marked Kevin Thain and he made no mis­take, slam­ming the ball into the back of the net.

Lochcar­ron made a strong start to the sec­ond half. Liam Arnott’s run­ning was caus­ing prob­lems in the Kin­gussie de­fence and he set up a cou­ple of chances for Peter MacKen­zie.

How­ever it was Kin­gussie who ex­tended their lead on 62 min­utes when a cor­ner was flicked on to Kevin Thain who jug­gled the ball be­fore turn­ing and squeez­ing the ball be­tween the keeper and the post.

Lochcar­ron claimed the ball went into the side net­ting but the goal judge sig­nalled a goal and ref­eree John An­gus Gil­lies pointed to the cen­tre.

Lochcar­ron were good in de­fence with Dou­glas MacKen­zie play­ing a man of the match role.

David MacCuish and David Bauer­meis­ter played re­ally well in mid­field whilst for­wards Liam Arnott and Lance MacCuish worked tire­lessly to try and break down the Kin­gussie de­fence.

Fa­ther and son duo Rory Fraser and Sor­ley Fraser starred for Kin­gussie whilst Kevin Thain and Dy­lan Borth­wick were sharp around the goal area.

This was a good cup tie, played in good spirit, with no book­ings.

Fort Wil­liam 3 Kin­lochshiel 1

Fort Wil­liam and Kin­lochshiel sec­onds met for the third time this sea­son at An Aird.

It was one win apiece ahead of this noon throw up so this was al­ways go­ing to be a close con­test.

Bobby MacMil­lan gave Fort Wil­liam the lead af­ter 18 min­utes but Morgan Fraser lev­elled on 25 min­utes.

A blis­ter­ing Cameron Grant strike on 43 min­utes made it 2-1 at the break.

It stayed that way un­til the fi­nal minute when a sweet Cal Brown fin­ish con­firmed the Fort’s place in the next round.

Glen­garry 4 Glenurquhart 3

Glen­garry held off a late come­back to beat the Glenurquhart sec­ond team 4-3 at Craigard.

A Nick Dal­gety goal in the open­ing minute got Glen­garry off to a great start.

How­ever, when ref­eree Brian MacKay pointed to the penalty spot on 23 min­utes, Calum Miller equalised.

Nick Dal­gety got his sec­ond seven min­utes af­ter the restart and Daniel MacLen­nan made it 3-1 from the penalty spot on 61 min­utes.

When MacLen­nan scored again five min­utes later, Glen- garry looked home and dry.

How­ever, an­other Calum Miller strike on 75 min­utes re­duced the deficit and when Fin­lay Ral­ston found the back of the net on 83 min­utes, the scene was set for a grand­stand fin­ish.

Glen­garry stayed in front though and they now host Fort Wil­liam in the last eight of the com­pe­ti­tion.

Bole­sk­ine 0 Skye Ca­manachd 9

The Skye Ca­manachd colts were too strong for Bole­sk­ine, win­ning 9- 0 in their 1.30pm throw-up at Smith Park.

Skye young­ster Ross Gor­don scored on eight and 15 min­utes to give the is­landers a two-goal ad­van­tage,

An­other U17 player, Con­nor Gilpin, net­ted on 26, 32 and 35 min­utes to grab a nine-minute hat-trick.

Skye Ca­manachd player/man­ager Kenny Ma­cLeod added his name to the score-sheet on 41 min­utes to make it 6- 0 at the in­ter­val.

Three goals in the fi­nal 20 min­utes took Skye’s tally to nine goals.

Ross Gor­don com­pleted his hat-trick on 70 min­utes whilst John An­gus MacInnes, 10 min­utes later, and young­ster Martin Pringle, five min­utes from time, rounded off the win.

Kil­mallie 2 Caber­feidh 1

The Kil­mallie re­serves edged out the Caber­feidh re­serves 2-1 in their noon throw-up at Canal Parks.

Stu­art Sloss got both Kil­mallie goals with Ruar­idh MacLe­man coun­ter­ing for Caber­feidh.

Kil­mallie’s re­ward is a trip to The Dell to play Kin­gussie in the next round.

Lochaber 9 Lewis Ca­manachd 0

A clin­i­cal sec­ond-half per­for­mance earned the Lochaber sec­ond team a 9- 0 win over Lewis Ca­manachd in their 2pm throw-up at Spean Bridge.

Keith Neville gave Lochaber the lead af­ter seven min­utes but that was to be the only goal of the first half.

Neville got his sec­ond to make it 2- 0 a minute af­ter the restart and a goal-glut fol­lowed.

James MacRae on 58 min­utes and an Iain Fyfe dou­ble on 62 and 64 min­utes made it 5- 0.

Lach­lan Campbell added a sixth on 74 min­utes and Keith Neville com­pleted his hat-trick a minute later.

Har­vey Al­li­son on 78 min­utes and a sec­ond from Lach­lan Campbell a cou­ple of min­utes from time rounded off the 9- 0 win.

Strath­glass 1 In­ver­ness 0 (Af­ter ex­tra time) The Strath­glass sec­ond team beat the In­ver­ness sec­onds 1- 0 af­ter ex­tra-time in their noon throw-up at Can­nich.

Some good goal-keep­ing from In­ver­ness cus­to­dian Ken­neth Loades, in­clud­ing an ex­tra-time penalty save, kept the home side at bay but young­ster Penri Jones got the win­ner with five min­utes of ex­tra-time re­main­ing.

Strath­glass sec­onds will now host Skye Ca­manachd sec­onds in the Strathdearn Cup quar­ter fi­nals. New­ton­more W/O v Lo­vat Hold­ers New­ton­more re­serves were given a walk- over to the quar­ter fi­nals when the Lo­vat re­serves were un­able to raise a team for their noon throw-up at The Ei­lan.

New­ton­more travel to play the Lochaber sec­onds in the quar­ter fi­nals.

Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship

Kil­mallie 0 Kin­gussie 2 An early Ryan Borth­wick dou­ble gave Kin­gussie a 2- 0 vic­tory over Kil­mallie in their 3pm throw-up at Canal Parks.

Kil­mallie’s Liam Cameron was free of sus­pen­sion but Aaron San­di­son and Martin Ste­wart were banned. Former Fort Wil­liam player Steven Ste­wart played well in de­fence on his Kil­mallie de­but. His brother Daniel Ste­wart was on hol­i­day so didn’t play.

Kin­gussie had Lee Bain back and he started on the bench. Kin­gussie were still with­out long-term in­jury ab­sen­tees James Fal­coner and Martin Dal­las.

Ryan Borth­wick scored af­ter two min­utes to give Kin­gussie the lead. Ryan Macwilliam played a ball for­ward to­wards Ruar­idh An­der­son and Savio Genini and when the ball broke to Ryan Borth­wick, he drilled a waist-high shot from 16 yards out past keeper Shane Gil­lies to make it 1- 0.

Ryan Borth­wick got his and Kin­gussie’s sec­ond on 12 min­utes. Kin­gussie worked the ball down the left where Chris Hol­leysong did well and found Borth­wick out­side the ‘ D’. He let the ball run across his body be­fore tuck­ing it into the bot­tom cor­ner of the net.

This was a good, solid Kin­gussie per­for­mance which takes them level on points with lead­ers Kyles and two points ahead of third-placed Kin­lochshiel. Kin­gussie have played more games than their ri­vals though.

Kil­mallie re­main in the rel­e­ga­tion zone as they turn their at­ten­tions to this Satur­day’s MacTav­ish Cup semi-fi­nal against Kin­lochshiel at Kirk­ton. Lo­vat 1 Lochaber 0 Lo­vat climb to fifth spot in the di­vi­sion af­ter a Martin Bell goal gave them a 1- 0 win over Lochaber at Bal­gate.

Lo­vat were with­out the sus­pended Drew Howie, Cal­lum Cru­den and Lorne MacKay. Martin Bell started at full for­ward and his in­clu­sion paid div­i­dends af­ter just 10 min­utes. A Scott MacKen­zie shy fell for Greg Mathe­son who played the ball back to MacKen­zie who fed a low ball to Martin Bell’s feet. Bell turned and hit a low, pow­er­ful shot past Cal­lum Mac­Don­ald in the Lochaber goal.

The game never re­ally hit any great heights but Lo­vat will be de­lighted to take the points which lift them into the top half of the ta­ble.

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion

Skye Ca­manachd 4 Beauly 0 Skye Ca­manachd stay out in front in the Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion af­ter they beat Beauly 4- 0 at Pairc nan Laoch.

Skye got off to a great start when Iain MacLel­lan, in the team for the in­jured James Pringle, swept the ball home with just 40 sec­onds played.

Two clean strikes from Jor­dan Murchi­son on 18 and 25 min­utes made it 3- 0 at the break.

Danny Mor­ri­son ghosted in at the back post to add a fourth from a Jor­dan Murchi­son free­hit on 69 min­utes to round off the 4- 0 win.

Skye are a point ahead of sec­ond-placed Caber­feidh with both sides hav­ing played five matches.

In­ver­ness 0 Caber­feidh 7

Caber­feidh con­tin­ued their good run, beat­ing In­ver­ness 7- 0 at The Bught Park.

Craig Mor­ri­son put Caber­feidh in front on 15 min­utes and Kevin Bartlett made it 2- 0 on 33 min­utes with Liam Sy­monds adding a third four min­utes be­fore the in­ter­val.

The same three play­ers scored again in the sec­ond half. Kevin Bartlett got his sec­ond goal of the match on 55 min­utes and Liam Sy­monds did like­wise four min­utes later.

Caber­feidh used the open spa­ces on the Bught Park to their ad­van­tage and their speedy for­wards caused the In­ver­ness de­fence prob­lems all af­ter­noon.

A sec­ond Craig Mor­ri­son goal on 63 min­utes made it 6- 0 and there was still time for Kevin Bartlett to com­plete his hat­trick on 81 min­utes.

Caber­feidh are now a point ahead of third-placed Fort Wil­liam, although they have played a game more.

The sides meet again this com­ing Satur­day in the Bal­liemore Cup quar­ter fi­nals with Caber­feidh hav­ing home ad­van­tage this time.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1 Col Glen 0 Lochside Rovers 5

Lochside Rovers re­main in top spot in Ma­rine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1 af­ter they scored five times with­out re­ply at Col Glen.

Lewis Buchanan grabbed a hat-trick with Craig MacMil­lan and Daniel Sloss get­ting the others. Kyles Ath­letic 1 Bute 4 Bute con­tinue to claw back their eight point penalty for drop­ping a di­vi­sion as they beat the Kyles Ath­letic sec­ond team 4-1 in their noon throw-up at Tighnabru­aich.

The is­landers showed they meant busi­ness with two goals in the open­ing four min­utes.

John Mac­Cal­lum put them ahead on two min­utes with Robert Walker dou­bling their lead a cou­ple of min­utes later.

Kyle McMartin gave Kyles hope with a goal af­ter 10 min­utes, but a sec­ond from John Mac­Cal­lum on 51 min­utes and a 62nd minute James Craig ef­fort gave Bute both points.

Bute re­main bot­tom of the ta­ble but their points dif­fer­en­tial has been cut to mi­nus three. Taynuilt 0 Aber­dour 3 Aber­dour stay sec­ond af­ter they beat Taynuilt 3- 0 at Taynuilt Sports Field.

The vis­i­tors trav­elled with­out Cammy McCue who has a bro­ken toe.

Taynuilt had most of the first half pres­sure but were un­able to turn their dom­i­nance into goals.

Aber­dour came into the game in the sec­ond half and took the lead with 15 min­utes re­main­ing when Roddy MacColl beat his marker to score.

McColl added his and Aber­dour’s sec­ond a cou­ple of min­utes later af­ter he was set up by David MacKen­zie.

Taynuilt were never out of the game, but it was Aber­dour who scored for the third time in a pro­lific eight-minute spell when David MacKen­zie forced home a re­bound off the keeper to make it 3- 0 with 83 min­utes played. Glenorchy 1 Tay­forth 4 Third-placed Tay­forth beat Glenorchy 4-1 at Mart Park.

Fin­lay Stark scored on 10 and 18 min­utes to give the vis­i­tors an early ad­van­tage but a 25th minute Kieran MacKay goal made it 2-1 at the break.

James Roy re­stored Tay­forth’s two goal ad­van­tage on 75 min­utes and Fin­lay Stark com­pleted his hat-trick five min­utes from time.

Glenorchy’s Kieran Gal­lagher was sent off by ref­eree Robert Bax­ter.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 2 Oban Lorn 2 Bute 0

Sec­ond-placed Oban Lorn scored a goal in each half to beat the Bute sec­ond team 2- 0 at Gana­van.

David Martin put the home side ahead on 31 min­utes and Ewan MacCorquo­dale made it 2- 0 on 68 min­utes.

Glas­gow Mid Argyll 1 Stra­chur 4

Stra­chur go third in the di­vi­sion af­ter beat­ing the Glas­gow Mid Argyll sec­ond team 4-1 at Yoker. Stu­art Robert­son, Iain Wilson, Ian MacLen­nan and Duncan Smart net­ted for the vis­i­tors with Nick Lavin scor­ing for GMA. Dunoon 0 Aber­dour 2 The Aber­dour sec­onds recorded their first league win of the sea­son, beat­ing Dunoon 2- 0 at Dunoon Sta­dium.

An­drew Fraser scored both goals on 65 and 86 min­utes.

Strathdearn Cup quar­ter fi­nals

The Strathdearn Cup quar­ter-fi­nal ties are now known fol­low­ing last week­end’s sec­ond round matches: Satur­day June 17 Lochaber v New­ton­more Strath­glass v Skye Ca­manachd Glen­garry v Fort Wil­liam Kin­gussie v Kil­mallie Satur­day July 15 Strathdearn Cup – semi fi­nal Kin­gussie/ Kil­mallie v Strath­glass/Skye Ca­manachd Lochaber/ New­ton­more v Glen­garry/ Fort Wil­liam

The Strathdearn Cup Fi­nal takes place on Satur­day Au­gust 12 with the venue yet to be con­firmed.

WCA round-up

The ladies ac­tion turned to the re­gional di­vi­sion with most matches played on Sun­day May 14.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2 Glenurquhart 4 Glen­garry 0

Glenurquhart recorded an im­pres­sive 4- 0 win over Glen­garry at Blair­beg on Satur­day May 13.

Two goals from Hazel Hunter and one each from Ish­bel Barr and Claire Han­non con­firmed the win. Strath­glass 0 Strath­spey Ca­manachd 4 Strath­spey turned in their best per­for­mance of the sea­son to de­feat Strath­glass 4- 0 in their 3pm throw-up at Can­nich.

The ex­cel­lent Jade Long­worth notched a hat-trick, whilst Katy Mi­nard also scored.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 2 Glas­gow Mid Argyll 2 Oban Lorn 0

The Glas­gow Mid Argyll sec­ond team beat Oban Lorn 2- 0 at Yoker.

Katie Mullen and Evie Coul­tas got the goals. Ard­na­mur­chan W/O v Lorne Ladies Ard­na­mur­chan were given a walk- over in their match against Lorne Ladies.

Youth round-up Ma­rine Har­vest U17 Lon­don Shield Sec­tion A

Glenurquhart de­feated Strath­glass 3- 0 at Can­nich. Cameron Brem­ner, Jed Stod­dart and Ruar­idh Ral­ston were on tar­get.

The match be­tween Fort Wil­liam and Kin­lochshiel at An Aird was post­poned. Sec­tion B A Cal­lum MacDougall penalty late in the game gave Kil­mallie a 2-1 win over Lochaber at Canal Parks. Dan Nixon for the home side and Dy­lan Brockie for the vis­i­tors were also on tar­get.

The meet­ing be­tween Oban Ca­manachd and New­ton­more will be re-ar­ranged.

Ma­rine Har­vest U17 Devel­op­ment League

The Skye Ca­manachd B U17 devel­op­ment squad beat Glen­garry U17 9-1 in the Devel­op­ment League at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree. Abby MacLean scored four times, Niall MacPhee grabbed a hat-trick, whilst Jamie MacPhie and Taylor Mathe­son got the others. Duncan MacPher­son net­ted for Glen­garry.

The match be­tween In­ver­ness and Caber­feidh was post­poned.

Ma­rine Har­vest U14 League

Sec­tion A The meet­ing be­tween Lo­vat and New­ton­more was post­poned, whilst the game be­tween Kin­gussie and Lochaber will be re­ar­ranged for a later date. Sec­tion B An Ai­den Love goal gave Kil­mallie a 1- 0 vic­tory over Ard­na­mur­chan.

The game be­tween Glen­garry and Fort Wil­liam will be re­ar­ranged. Sec­tion C Skye Ca­manachd U14 over­came Caber­feidh U14 16-1 at Cas­tle Leod. Taylor Mathe­son scored five times in­clud­ing a three minute hat-trick. Archie Mac­Don­ald net­ted four times with Holly MacLean and James Coull bag­ging dou­bles. Liam Mac­Queen, Calum Ni­col­son and Lewis Ma­cLeod got the others. Sec­tion D Glenurquhart edged out Beauly 5-3 at Blair­beg. Cameron Brem­ner notched a dou­ble for Glenurquhart with An­gus Mac­Cal­lum, Fer­gus Reid and Fer­gus Robert­son also scor­ing.

Ma­rine Har­vest U14 South League

Dunoon beat Oban Lorn 9- 0 with Fin­nan Kennedy scor­ing five times and Mur­ray McC­ly­mont, Cam Bul­loch and Kyle Kerr also on tar­get. Oban Ca­manachd were too strong for Kil­mory, win­ning 12- 0. Ross Campbell claimed four goals, Mur­ray McKay and Innes Jack­son scored hat-tricks with Calum MacMil­lan and Lennon MacK­ech­nie also scor­ing.

The match be­tween Bute and Bal­lachul­ish was post­poned.

Na­tional Un­der 14 Devel­op­ment Tro­phy

League A The matches be­tween Bal­lachul­ish and Ard­na­mur­chan, Oban Lorn and Bal­lachul­ish and Ard­na­mur­chan and Oban Lorn were all post­poned. League B Glen­garry beat Strath­glass 10- 0 at Craigard. Gabrielle Mac­Cal­lum grabbed a hat-trick, Ro­nan Blakey bagged a dou­ble and Cameron Fraser scored five times.

The games be­tween Strath­spey and Strath­glass and Strath­spey and Glen­garry were post­poned.

2017 Artemis Ma­caulay Sixes

The 2017 Artemis Ma­caulay na­tional sixes take place at Moss­field on Sun­day June 11.

En­try forms for this pri­mary school aged com­pe­ti­tion can be down­loaded from the Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion web­site and should be sent to Davie Hamil­ton, The Shiel­ing, Longs­dale Road, Oban, Argyll, PA34 5JU.

Teams are en­cour­aged to en­ter as soon as pos­si­ble, prefer­ably no later than Mon­day June 5, to al­low time to pre­pare the run­ning sched­ule for the day.

Aber­corn School re­tain Na­tional Dis­abil­ity First Shinty Fes­ti­val

Aviemore was the venue last month, for the 17th an­nual Dis­abil­ity First Shinty Fes­ti­val which saw Aber­corn School from Glas­gow emerge as win­ners.

Seven teams and five schools from In­ver­ness, Oban, Perth Glas­gow and North Ayr­shire en­joyed coach­ing from qual­i­fied shinty coaches and games through­out the two- day event which cul­mi­nated in a tour­na­ment.

The tour­na­ment was played on a round robin for­mat with all seven teams play­ing each other once, with the top two teams mak­ing it through to the fi­nal.

Aber­corn topped the group on max­i­mum points, with record hold­ers Drum­mond clinch­ing sec­ond place, two points be­hind Aber­corn.

The fi­nal, sur­pris­ingly, was a one-sided en­counter with de­fend­ing cham­pi­ons Aber­corn prov­ing too strong for their In­ver­ness op­po­nents Drum­mond, run­ning out con­vinc­ing win­ners by six goals to nil.

Pho­to­graph: Iain Fer­gu­son, The Write Im­age.

Oban Celtic’s Ciaran Car­ney tack­les Fort Wil­liam’s Lachie Shaw dur­ing last Satur­day’s Ca­manachd Cup tie at An Aird which ended in a 3-3 draw.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

New­ton­more’s Glen Mack­in­tosh and Glenurquhart’s John Barr tus­sle for the ball dur­ing last Satur­day’s MacTav­ish Cup semi fi­nal which New­ton­more won 3-1.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son. Cel­e­brat­ing the sec­ond goal for New­ton­more, Drew Mac­don­ald jumps on his team cap­tain Steven Mac­don­ald.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron.

Bal­lachul­ish’s Stu­art Carmichael gets his block in on Josh Fraser of Strath­glass dur­ing their Ca­manachd Cup first round tie.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron.

Ewen MacKin­non, In­ver­ness, gets to the ball be­fore Niall McCallum of Strath­glass dur­ing last week­end’s Strathdearn Cup tie.

Pho­to­graph: Abright­side Pho­tog­ra­phy.

Kil­mallie’s Michael Rodger sees this at­tempt go wide dur­ing his team’s 2- 0 home de­feat by Kin­gussie in the Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.