Farm­ers re­minded over wide-load move­ments

The Oban Times - - FARMING -

FARM­ERS and crofters are be­ing re­minded to ap­ply to Po­lice Scot­land for an agri­cul­tural dis­pen­sa­tion for wide ve­hi­cle move­ments.

A scheme, agreed by Po­lice Scot­land and NFU Scot­land in 2015, means union mem­bers with wide ve­hi­cles can ap­ply for the dis­pen­sa­tion to avoid hav­ing to no­tify po­lice for each in­di­vid­ual move­ment.

Po­lice no­ti­fi­ca­tion is re­quired if a ve­hi­cle, or im­ple­ment, is over three me­tres in width and/or projects more than four me­tres, for ex­am­ple a plough, and is trav­el­ling more than five miles, or trav­el­ling on any road with a speed limit of less than 40mph.

Farm­ers or con­trac­tors want­ing to use this scheme can ob­tain an ap­pli­ca­tion form from Po­lice Scot­land or mem­bers can get it from NFU Scot­land. The com­pleted form should be emailed to OSDAbor­malLoad­sS­cot­land@scot­land.pnn.po­

On re­ceipt of this form, if deemed ap­pro­pri­ate for a dis­pen­sa­tion, Po­lice Scot­land will is­sue a dis­pen­sa­tion let­ter. This will cover a full year and mean in­di­vid­ual no­ti­fi­ca­tions are not re­quired un­less the width on the orig­i­nal ap­pli­ca­tion form is ex­ceeded.

Mem­bers wish­ing to make a one- off move­ment with a wide ve­hi­cle can ap­ply to Po­lice Scot­land for a one- off move­ment, pro­vid­ing at least 48 hours’ no­tice of the in­tended move­ment. Please take into con­sid­er­a­tion pub­lic hol­i­days and week­ends when ap­ply­ing for one- off move­ments as this may de­lay ap­pli­ca­tions.

NFU Scot­land mem­bers look­ing for more in­for­ma­tion in re­la­tion to wide ve­hi­cle move­ment re­quire­ments can seek ad­vice from the free NFU Scot­land helpline for trans­port and ve­hi­cles.

Jamie Smart, le­gal and tech­ni­cal com­mit­tee chair­man, who runs NFU Scot­land’s ag- ri­cul­tural trans­port and ve­hi­cle helpline, said: ‘It is vi­tal NFU Scot­land mem­bers en­sure that if they re­quire a dis­pen­sa­tion, they have ap­plied for this and had it re­turned from Po­lice Scot­land ahead of mov­ing ve­hi­cles.

‘The union has worked hard to put this in place for farm­ers and crofters over the past two years and it is of ben­e­fit to save those car­ry­ing out wide ve­hi­cle move­ments time and ef­fort in ap­ply­ing for a dis­pen­sa­tion.

‘The dis­pen­sa­tion doc­u­ment should be car­ried in ve­hi­cles per­tain­ing to it and pro­duced in the event the ve­hi­cle is stopped by Po­lice Scot­land.’

Su­per­in­ten­dent Fraser Can­dlish of Po­lice Scot­land’s road polic­ing branch, com­mented: ‘Po­lice Scot­land has worked in part­ner­ship with NFU Scot­land to try and en­sure com­pli­ance with road traf­fic leg­is­la­tion is made sim­pler and eas­ier for farm­ers.’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.