Ca­manachd Cup ties this week­end

The Oban Times - - Sport -

KIL­MALLIE will play New­ton­more in the MacTav­ish Cup Fi­nal and Fort Wil­liam reached the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup second round.

Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup - first round re­play Oban Celtic 0 Fort Wil­liam 2

Fort Wil­liam se­cured the fi­nal place in the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup second round with a 2- 0 re­play vic­tory over Oban Celtic at Moss­field.

This was Oban Celtic’s first home match since the mid­dle of March af­ter six games on the road. In­deed, it was only their third match on home turf all sea­son.

Boss Kenny Wother­spoon had play­ers back from the pre­vi­ous week but was with­out full back John Hill fol­low­ing his red card when the sides drew the orig­i­nal game 3-3 at An Aird.

Fort Wil­liam man­age­ment duo Vic­tor Smith and Adam Robert­son were miss­ing Lewis Clark, who was also sent off in that match, but Bryan Simp­son and Alexan­der MacMil­lan re­turned.

Fort Wil­liam took the lead fol­low­ing a cor­ner on 13 min­utes when winger Alexan­der MacMil­lan scored from a tight an­gle.

Bryan Simp­son made it 2- 0 on 54 min­utes with a snap-shot on the turn from just out­side the ‘D’ af­ter Fort Wil­liam had worked the ball up the left wing.

Had it not been for some fine saves from Oban Celtic stand-in goalie Jack Hill, the win­ning mar­gin could have been big­ger.

Fort Wil­liam will now have home ad­van­tage against Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup hold­ers New­ton­more in their second round tie this Satur­day.

Oban Celtic man­ager Kenny Wother­spoon was in no mood for ex­cuses af­ter the game. ‘Fort were stronger this week but so were we,’ he said. ‘Take noth­ing away from Fort Wil­liam as they played well but that was a be­low par Oban Celtic per­for­mance.

‘I’ve been man­ag­ing the club for just over a year now and that was one of flat­test per­for­mances I’ve seen from our boys. Win, lose or draw, we are in it to­gether but that was un­ac­cept­able and there are no ex­cuses. I ex­pect a mas­sive dif­fer­ence this week when we travel to Bught Park to take on In­ver­ness.

‘It will be a tough game as In­ver­ness have more league points than us. I’ll have the boys fired up as usual but it’s whether or not they can carry the mo­men­tum on to the park.’

MacTav­ish Cup - semi fi­nal Kin­lochshiel 2 Kil­mallie 3

Kil­mallie will play New­ton­more in the MacTav­ish Cup Fi­nal fol­low­ing their shock 3-2 win over Kin­lochshiel in their 3pm throw -up at a wet Kirk­ton.

Con­stant rain overnight left some sur­face wa­ter but the game was never in doubt. Kin­lochshiel wing cen­tre Gordie Mac­Don­ald was ruled out af­ter in­jur­ing his knee in the team’s last match, a win over New­ton­more a fort­night ear­lier.

Kil­mallie’s Aaron San­di­son re­mained sus­pended but Martin Ste­wart re­turned af­ter serv­ing his ban. New sign­ing Daniel Ste­wart was cup-tied. Innes Black­hall missed out with a wrist in­jury.

Kin­lochshiel played down the slope in the first half, at­tack­ing from the throw-up, and Kil­mallie keeper Shane Gil­lies had a cou­ple of good early saves.

A high Don­ald Nixon ball from mid­field into the goal area came off the post and it seemed only a mat­ter of time be­fore ’Shiel would take the lead.

Kil­mallie shocked the home sup­port how­ever when they went in front af­ter four min­utes with their first at­tack of the game. Dun­can Rodger col­lected a ball for­ward and made just enough space to thump a shot high into the net.

’Shiel had more pres­sure but Kil­mallie con­tin­ued to cre­ate the bet­ter chances. Dun­can Rodger got past Paul MacRae but shot wide and the Kil­mallie front man then had an ef­fort saved with his feet by Scott Kennedy as the first half drew to a close.

Jor­dan Fraser sent the ball just the wrong side of the post fol­low­ing a free-hit dur­ing four min­utes of first half stop­page time.

A loop­ing Don­ald Nixon shy from the left dropped just past Shane Gil­lies’ left-hand post with the keeper stretch­ing to cover his goal.

At the other end, a shot from young­ster Cal­lum MacDougall on 56 min­utes rose just over the bar af­ter good work from Mark Gra­ham.

Kil­mallie had an­other chance when Steven Ste­wart ini­tially won the ball in de­fence and played it for­ward to Dun­can Rodger who got away from his marker and ran in on goal. But Scott Kennedy raced off his line and blocked the ef­fort and clear the dan­ger.

Shane Gil­lies made a good save to deny Keith MacRae at the back post fol­low­ing an­other good Don­ald Nixon shy from the left.

A Jor­dan Fraser shot whis­tled over the bar be­fore Kin­lochshiel drew level on 66 min­utes. Fin­lay MacRae lofted the ball for­ward from the mid­dle of the park and it dropped just un­der the bar de­spite the keeper’s ef­forts to keep the ball out.

Dun­can Rodger played a onetwo with Michael Rodger be­fore shoot­ing goal­wards, but Scott Kennedy stretched to his right to make an out­stand­ing save with his foot.

Keith MacRae shot wide as the tie moved into the fi­nal 15 min­utes.

Steven Ste­wart was booked be­fore Ryan Ste­wart re­placed Mark Gra­ham at wing for­ward.

Kil­mallie got them­selves back in front on 83 min­utes when a long ball for­ward found Michael Rodger who showed great com­po­sure as he con­trolled the ball and took a touch to the left, tak­ing it round keeper Kennedy, be­fore slot­ting it into the net to the de­light of the trav­el­ling sup­port.

There was more to come as Cal­lum MacDougall cre­ated a chance for him­self with a surg­ing run down the in­side left chan­nel. MacDougall’s first at­tempt was blocked, but the re­bound fell kindly for the young­ster and he lashed a great strike into the net to make it 3-1 with just three min­utes re­main­ing.

Kin­lochshiel needed a goal and they pulled one back on 90 min­utes when Fin­lay MacRae pushed for­ward to get on the end of a cross from the right. Shane Gil­lies blocked MacRae’s ini­tial ef­fort, but the full cen­tre forced the re­bound home to make it 3-2.

Kin­lochshiel went for the goal that would take the tie into ex­tra-time and man of the match Steven Ste­wart got his body in the way twice in quick suc­ces­sion to block shots on goal.

The Kil­mallie de­light was ev­i­dent when ref­eree John An­gus Gil­lies blew for time and this mag­nif­i­cent and de­served win means the 2017 MacTav­ish Cup Fi­nal will be be­tween Kil­mallie and New­ton­more at The Bught Park, In­ver­ness on Satur­day June 10.

Speak­ing im­me­di­ately af­ter the fi­nal whis­tle, a de­lighted Kil­mallie boss Mark MacPher­son said: ‘I have so much faith in these boys. They have done me proud for the last three years. They have worked hard this sea­son and played well in games, al­though our league po­si­tion doesn’t show it. Our dis­ci­pline has let us down at times but you saw to­day what we could do against a very good team. All the play­ers played their part to­day but Ste­vie Ste­wart was out­stand­ing. He’s come into the de­fence and al­lowed us to move Martin Ste­wart up the park and he was phe­nom­e­nal through­out the game. We won the Na­tional and the Bal­liemore last year but to reach the MacTav­ish Fi­nal is fan­tas­tic. New­ton­more are a great side but we won’t just make up the num­bers. We are go­ing to the Bught Park to win it.’

Bal­liemore Cup – second round In­ver­aray 3 Bute 0

In­ver­aray took the spoils with a con­vinc­ing 3- 0 win over Bute in this Bal­liemore Cup second round tie at The Win­ter­ton.

In­ver­aray were un­changed from the pre­vi­ous week’s Celtic So­ci­ety Cup semi-fi­nal de­feat to Oban Ca­manachd.

Bute trav­elled with a youth­ful side.

The yel­low and blacks made the stronger start but strug­gled to get into a rhythm. The game was very stop-start with ref­eree Robert Bax­ter hav­ing to fre­quently stop the game be­cause of fouls and a lack of dis­ci­pline.

Lewis Mont­gomery scored the only goal of the first half on 17 min­utes, tak­ing ad­van­tage of sloppy de­fend­ing.

As the first half went on, In­ver­aray made two changes with Hamish MacLen­nan com­ing off with a foot in­jury and Dou­glas Dando com­ing off with a sus­pected pulled ham­string. Young Ruaraidh Gra­ham was in­tro­duced in place of MacLen­nan on the wing with Ally McDon­ald step­ping in at full back for Dando.

De­spite the fresh legs, In­ver­aray couldn’t find a second goal and they had to set­tle for a 1- 0 ad­van­tage at half time.

The pat­tern of play con­tin­ued into the second half with In­ver­aray look­ing the bet­ter side but still strug­gling to main­tain any real pres­sure on the Bute goal.

How­ever, with the In­ver­aray cen­tre line urg­ing the team for­ward, Fraser Watt made it 2- 0 on 63 min­utes. The game was tousy at times and threat­ened to boil over on a cou­ple of oc­ca­sions but In­ver­aray’s ex­pe­ri­ence saw them through and cap­tain Lewis MacNi­col made it 3- 0 on 69 min­utes with a low, driven shot.

Veteran Garry MacPher­son had an­other fan­tas­tic game in the mid­dle of the park for In­ver­aray who march on to the Bal­liemore Cup quar­ter-fi­nals where they will play Oban Celtic.

In­ver­aray hope both Dou­glas Dando and Hamish MacLen­nan are able to re­cover from their in­juries ahead of this week­end’s Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup tie with Caber­feidh at The Win­ter­ton.

The club also con­firmed that Grant Grif­fin has re­tired from shinty to con­cen­trate on work and fam­ily life. Grif­fin has been a great am­bas­sador of the club for many years and ev­ery­one in In­ver­aray was sad­dened to hear of his re­tire­ment but wished him well for the fu­ture.

Bal­liemore Cup – quar­ter fi­nals Caber­feidh 6 In­ver­ness 0

Caber­feidh and In­ver­ness met for the second suc­ces­sive Satur­day, this time at Cas­tle Leod, with Caber­feidh win­ning again.

Kevin Bartlett net­ted on 20 and 26 min­utes to make it 2- 0 at the break.

Craig Mor­ri­son made it 3- 0 on 49 min­utes and Kevin Bartlett com­pleted his hat-trick on 54 min­utes.

Craig Mor­ri­son got his second on 65 min­utes and when ref­eree Evan MacRae awarded Caber­feidh a penalty 10 min­utes from time, Craig Mor­ri­son stepped up to claim his hat-trick.

Taynuilt 1 Beauly 5

Beauly beat Taynuilt 5-1 in their tie at Taynuilt Sports Field.

Jack Mac­Don­ald broke the dead­lock with the only goal of the first half on 20 min­utes.

Jack Mac­Don­ald got his second goal on 61 min­utes and Ross Forbes made it 3- 0 three min­utes later.

A late Kieran MacTav­ish dou­ble on 80 and 83 min­utes ex­tended Beauly’s lead to 5- 0 with Scott Demp­ster get­ting a con­so­la­tion strike for Taynuilt a cou­ple of min­utes from time.

Bul­lough Cup – first round Kyles Ath­letic 7 English Shinty As­so­ci­a­tion 0

In the only Bul­lough Cup first round tie to go ahead, the Kyles Ath­letic second team were too strong for the English Shinty As­so­ci­a­tion; win­ning 7- 0 in their 3pm throw-up at Tighnabru­aich.

Craig Martin opened the scor­ing on 18 min­utes and Christo­pher Blair added a second a minute be­fore the break.

Con­nor Guidici dou­bled Kyles’ ad­van­tage with goals on 52 and 54 min­utes and Kyles were out of sight a cou­ple of min­utes later when Fraser Wil­liamson made it 5- 0.

Con­nor Guidici com­pleted his hat-trick on 75 min­utes and Fraser Wil­liamson got his second to make it 7- 0 on 82 min­utes.

Kyles will travel to play the Bute sec­onds in the quar­ter-fi­nals.

Oban Lorn W/O v Dunoon

Oban Lorn went through to the next round with­out hit­ting a ball as Dunoon were un­able to field a team for the game at Gana­van.

Stra­chur W/O v Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll

Stra­chur re­ceived a bye into the quar­ter-fi­nals when the Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll colts were un­able to raise a team for their clash at Stra­chur­more.

Stra­chur will now host Oban Lorn for a place in the semis.

Kil­mory W/O v SCOTS Ca­manachd

Kil­mory were given a walk- over into the last eight of the com­pe­ti­tion when SCOTS Ca­manachd were un­able to raise a team for their tie at MacRae Park.

Kil­mory will now travel to play the In­ver­aray second team at The Win­ter­ton in the next round.

In­ver­aray were given a first round bye.

Marine Har­vest Premier­ship Kyles Ath­letic 1 Oban Ca­manachd 1

Kyles Ath­letic had to work hard to ex­tend their lead at the top of the Marine Har­vest Premier­ship, but they also dropped their first point of the sea­son as they drew 1-1 with Oban Ca­manachd in their noon throw-up at Tighnabru­aich.

Cal­lum Miller was miss­ing for Kyles so Don­ald Irvine was switched to full back.

Scott McKil­lop re­turned from in­jury for Ca­manachd.

Kyles took the lead af­ter eight min­utes when Roddy Mac­Don­ald net­ted to con­tinue his top flight scor­ing streak.

Oban Ca­manachd were play­ing well though and had a num­ber of shots on goal, forc­ing good saves from Kyles Ath­letic cus­to­dian John Whyte.

Oban Ca­manachd man­ager Iain Hay was forced to make early changes at the back as Gary McKer­racher suf­fered a painful blow and Wil­lie Neil­son went over his an­kle so Scott McKil­lop and Daniel Cameron went back into de­fence.

Daniel MacVicar drew Oban Ca­manachd level on 53 min­utes and the vis­i­tors went on to push hard for a win­ner.

Oban Ca­manachd had two goals dis­al­lowed in the game; one for off­side and the other when Matt Rip­pon was ad­judged to have kicked the ball. The vis­i­tors dis­puted both de­ci­sions.

They sur­vived a scare when ref­eree Lachie Wood awarded Kyles a penalty af­ter con­sult­ing his goal judge. Oban Ca­manachd keeper Gavin Sto­b­bart was pe­nalised for a kick but he touched Rob­bie Ma­cLeod’s spot-hit onto the bar and the vis­it­ing de­fence cleared the dan­ger.

Oban Ca­manachd will hope to take this form into this Satur­day’s Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup second round tie against Kin­lochshiel at Kirk­ton.

New­ton­more 2 Kingussie 0

The first Bade­noch derby of the sea­son took place at The Ei­lan where New­ton­more beat Kingussie 2- 0.

The wet weather in the Bade­noch area left wa­ter ly­ing on the pitch and New­ton­more mo­bilised an army of vol­un­teers on Satur­day morn­ing to help clear the pitch. With the rain fore­cast to con­tinue, The Dell was put on stand-by in case a venue switch proved nec­es­sary but the match went ahead as sched­uled.

Jamie Robin­son was still out for New­ton­more who made just one change from the pre­vi­ous week as Andy MacK­in­tosh re­placed Kenny Ross with Michael Rus­sell go­ing to full cen­tre.

Martin Dal­las and James Fal­coner re­mained on the Kingussie in­jury list and Chris Hol­leysong started in pref­er­ence to Savio Genini.

Glen MacK­in­tosh gave New­ton­more the lead on 15 min­utes. The home side had a first half goal ruled out for off­side whilst Fraser MacK­in­tosh missed a good chance from in­side the ‘D’.

The clos­est Kingussie came dur­ing the first 45 min­utes was a Rory MacGre­gor shot from dis­tance which was chested down by New­ton­more goalie Nor­man Camp­bell.

Glen MacK­in­tosh sealed vic­tory with his second goal on 59 min­utes.

Kingussie took Lee Bain off the bench for the fi­nal 25 min­utes but New­ton­more re­mained in con­trol and de­served the win.

New­ton­more, with Rory Kennedy again ex­cel­lent at full back, are fourth in the ta­ble, four points be­hind lead­ers Kyles Ath­letic.

Lo­vat 2 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 0

A Lewis Tawse dou­ble gave Lo­vat a 2- 0 win over Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll at Bal­gate.

Drew Howie, Cal­lum Cru­den and Lorne MacKay all re­turned from sus­pen­sion for Lo­vat but Craig Main­land was miss­ing.

GMA trav­elled with­out Dun­can ‘Ach’ MacRae.

There was an even start to the game but Lo­vat went in front on 14 min­utes when the ball skid­ded for­ward from the cen­tre of the park and Lewis Tawse was on hand to tap it into the net.

Lewis Tawse al­most got his and Lo­vat’s second on 25 min­utes but his ef­fort went just wide of the post.

GMA had plenty pos­ses­sion but were un­able to turn it into chances in front of goal.

Lo­vat de­fender Daniel Grieve was hit on the leg by team mate Cal­lum Cru­den as Cru­den cleared his lines.

Grieve played on un­til the in­ter­val when he came off and he later re­quired a hospi­tal visit. Lo­vat boss Fraser Gallacher shuf­fled his pack and Thomas

Fraser came on at wing for­ward, Calum Ma­cAulay went to wing cen­tre where he played well, and Scott MacKen­zie went to wing back.

Lewis Tawse went close again a cou­ple of min­utes into the second pe­riod when his back-hand strike went just the wrong side of the post.

GMA were en­joy­ing a good pas­sage of play when Lo­vat al­most hit them with a sucker-blow. Calum Ma­cAulay went on a mazy-run, play­ing a onetwo with Thomas Fraser, be­fore be­ing flat­tened by John Don MacKen­zie.

Ref­eree Deek Cameron pointed to the spot. Greg Matheson took the penalty but GMA goalie Robert Dun­nings made a su­perb save.

Young GMA for­ward Calum McLay tested Lo­vat keeper Stu­art Mac­Don­ald with two quick ef­forts around the hour mark as the out­come re­mained in the bal­ance.

It was Lo­vat who dou­bled their lead, against the run of play, on 62 min­utes.

A Ryan Fer­gu­son shot from dis­tance was saved by Robert Dun­nings but the ball bounced out of the ‘D’ and Lewis Tawse took it past a de­fender be­fore knock­ing it into the bot­tom cor­ner of the net to make it 2- 0.

GMA never let their heads drop and came close to pulling a goal back when Stu­art Mac­Don­ald had to leap to keep out a long-range Garry Luke drive, with the Scot­land keeper hold­ing his ca­man in one hand to tip the ball over the bar.

Calum Ma­cAulay was play­ing well for GMA so Garry Luke was switched to mark him, help­ing to curb Ma­cAulay’s threat.

Lewis Tawse ran for­ward on 75 min­utes, send­ing a great shot just over the bar.

This was a good con­test and whilst Lewis Tawse’s goals made the dif­fer­ence, Drew Howie and Daniel Grieve, in the first half, were both ex­cel­lent in de­fence.

Danny Kelly and Jamie MacFadyen had a good tus­sle in the mid­dle of the park.

GMA showed good stick-work but lacked a cut­ting edge in at­tack. Ryan Har­ri­son played well in de­fence for GMA, whilst John Don MacKen­zie had a fine match mark­ing Lo­vat dan­ger-man Lorne MacKay. Stu­art Reid also had a good game.

Glenurquhart 2 Lochaber 3

Lochaber came from two goals down to beat Glenurquhart 3-2 at Blair­beg.

Whilst John Barr’s hand in­jury is not as se­ri­ous as first thought, he wasn’t able to start this game but took a place on the bench along with Neale Reid, who was also car­ry­ing an in­jury, and Euan Lloyd. David MacLen­nan was free of sus­pen­sion and formed a make-shift de­fence with Paul MacK­in­tosh at full back and James Hur­wood and Bradley Dick­son. Cal­lum Smith was back from in­jury as was Stu­art MacK­in­tosh who re­turned in goal for his first game of the sea­son but Fraser Heath, Con­nor Go­labek, Andrew Cor­ri­gan, Lachie Smith and Daniel MacK­in­tosh were all un­avail­able.

Lochaber’s John Sweeney was side­lined with a bro­ken hand whilst Danny De­laney is re­cov­er­ing af­ter eye surgery and Pat Toal was out through ill­ness.

Neale Reid made an early sub­sti­tute ap­pear­ance, re­plac­ing Cal­lum Smith who suf­fered a knock, and put Glenurquhart in front on 22 min­utes.

The home side dou­bled their lead on 28 min­utes but the goal came at a cost.

David MacLen­nan played the ball out of de­fence but suf­fered a mus­cle in­jury in the process. Ed­die Tembo knocked the ball on to Fin­lay Ral­ston and James MacPher­son stretched to get on Ral­ston’s ball to score, also pick­ing up an in­jury as he did so.

Both MacLen­nan and MacPher­son had to come off, re­placed by John Barr and Euan Lloyd, mean­ing Glenurquhart boss Iain Ma­cLeod had used all three sub­sti­tutes with less than half an hour played.

Lochaber had an ear­lier penalty claim turned down fol­low­ing a slid­ing Paul MacK­in­tosh tackle be­fore ref­eree Calum Girvan ruled Shaun Ni­col­son had been pushed by James Hur­wood in­side the ‘D’.

Bren­nan Mac­Don­ald scored from the spot to half the deficit with 37 min­utes played.

The goal lifted Lochaber and they lev­elled on 62 min­utes through a nice goal from Shaun Ni­col­son.

Glenurquhart would prob­a­bly have set­tled for a point at this stage but Lochaber con­tin­ued to work tire­lessly and Kevin Fer­gu­son scored on 78 min­utes to put them in front for the first time in the game.

The goal fol­lowed a cor­ner with Fer­gu­son tak­ing the ball in the air and crash­ing it into the net off the un­der-side of the bar.

Glenurquhart, who were forced to take James MacPher­son back on for the lat­ter stages of the game, pushed for a late lev­eller, with Fin­lay Ral­ston go­ing close, but Lochaber saw the game out with a good all-round team per­for­mance which se­cured a morale-boost­ing win.

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion

There were no sched­uled fix­tures in this di­vi­sion.

Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 1

Beauly 0 New­ton­more 12 The New­ton­more second team re­turned to the top of Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 1 when they swept aside the Beauly second team 12- 0 at Brae­view Park.

Craig Ma­cLeod gave a sign of what was to come when he net­ted in the open­ing minute.

John MacKen­zie made it 2- 0 on 11 min­utes and Somhairle Thomp­son added a third on 20 min­utes.

Calum Ste­wart made it 4- 0 on 29 min­utes and John MacKen­zie got his second a minute later to com­plete a sat­is­fac­tory first half for the vis­i­tors.

Calum Ste­wart got his second on 56 min­utes to make it 6- 0 and a goal storm fol­lowed in the fi­nal third of the con­test.

Somhairle Thomp­son got his second on 66 min­utes, whilst Calum Ste­wart com­pleted his hat-trick three min­utes later.

John MacKen­zie com­pleted his hat-trick on 73 min­utes and Craig Ma­cLeod got his second to make it 10- 0 on 76 min­utes.

Somhairle Thomp­son be­came the third player to com­plete a hat-trick when he scored from the penalty spot on 81 min­utes and Calum Ste­wart got his fourth goal of the game to make it 12- 0 with five min­utes re­main­ing.

New­ton­more are now a point ahead of Kingussie at the top of the ta­ble and have a game in hand.

Aberdeen Univer­sity 6 Kingussie 2

Aberdeen Univer­sity main­tained their good start to the sea­son with a 6-2 vic­tory over Kingussie’s second team at Bal­go­wnie.

Ewan Fraser fired the home side into the lead on three min­utes but Kevin Thain lev­elled on 11 min­utes.

Alex Dun­can on 17 min­utes and a second from Ewan Fraser on 28 min­utes made it 3-1 and a Stu­art Cameron goal on 40 min­utes gave the Aberdeen side a 4-1 lead at half time.

Ewan Fraser com­pleted his hat-trick three min­utes into the second half and scored for the fourth time on 64 min­utes.

Jack An­der­son pulled a goal back a minute later but it was Aberdeen’s day.

The win makes it three league vic­to­ries out of three for the third-placed stu­dents who have games in hand on the teams above them.

Skye Ca­manachd 1 Fort Wil­liam 1

The Skye Ca­manachd colts and the Fort Wil­liam colts shared the points fol­low­ing a 1-1 draw at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Euan Camp­bell put the vis­i­tors ahead on eight min­utes but Skye’s Con­nor Gilpin equalised a cou­ple of min­utes be­fore the break.

Kin­lochshiel P Glenurquhart P

The Glenurquhart second team had reached Clu­anie when they learnt of the post­pone­ment of their noon throw-up against the Kin­lochshiel sec­onds at Kirk­ton.

The pitch was also to host the MacTav­ish Cup semi-fi­nal be­tween Kin­lochshiel and Kil­mallie later in the af­ter­noon and was un­able to take two games.

Marine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1 Lochside Rovers 3 Bal­lachul­ish 0

A goal blitz ei­ther side of the in­ter­val means Lochside Rovers stay on top of Marine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1, beat­ing Bal­lachul­ish 3- 0 at Gana­van.

It was a fairly even first half in which Lochside keeper Cameron Suther­land made some good saves.

The home side got their noses in front on the stroke of half-time when Keith Bur­nett fin­ished off a good move.

An­other well-worked goal a minute into the second half saw Daniel Sloss make it 2- 0 and Lewis Buchanan added a third a minute later.

Lochside could have added to their tally but the win keeps them a point ahead of Aber­dour at the top of the ta­ble with a game in hand.

Lochside Rovers man­ager Gareth Evans has been on hol­i­day for the last three weeks so Brian MacCal­lum, Iain MacMil­lan and Steven Sloss have looked af­ter the side.

Evans was full of praise for their ef­forts.

‘Brian, Scally and Steven have done well, so much so that I could be out of a job,’ said Evans.

‘That’s five clean sheets in a row for the team and we’ve only con­ceded four goals all sea­son. Steven Sloss gives us great ex­pe­ri­ence at full back whilst keeper Cameron Suther­land does well when called upon. That strong de­fence gives us a solid base to build on.’

Aber­dour 4 Glenorchy 1

Aber­dour stay second af­ter they de­feated Glenorchy 4-1 at Sil­ver­sands.

Glenorchy’s Kieran Gal­lagher served a one-match ban fol­low­ing his send­ing off against Taynuilt the pre­vi­ous week­end.

The rain made for a greasy sur­face which made it dif­fi­cult for both sets of play­ers.

Good goal­keep­ing kept Aber­dour at bay un­til 40 min­utes when Roddy MacColl turned his marker to score.

The vis­i­tors lev­elled 60 sec­onds be­fore the in­ter­val when John Sar­tain floated a high ball from dis­tance in on the goal. The ball de­ceived the keeper and ended up in the net to make it 1-1 at the in­ter­val.

It stayed level un­til 15 min­utes from time when An­gus Thor­burn put Aber­dour back in front fol­low­ing good link-up play.

Roddy MacColl got his second fol­low­ing a shy 10 min­utes from time and MacColl com­pleted his hat-trick with a cou­ple of min­utes re­main­ing fol­low­ing un­selfish play from David MacKen­zie.

Kil­mory 2 Col Glen 0

Two quick-fire goals early in the second half gave Kil­mory a 2- 0 vic­tory over Col Glen in their 2pm throw-up at MacRae Park.

Af­ter a goal­less first half, Hal Jones gave Kil­mory the ad­van­tage in 55 min­utes.

Andy Cun­ning­ham made it 2- 0 three min­utes later.

This was Kil­mory’s first league of the sea­son but they have only played three league fix­tures, fewer than any other side in the di­vi­sion, ex­cept Bute.

Marine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2 Lochcar­ron 1 Glen­garry 7

Ta­ble top­pers Glen­garry over­came Lochcar­ron 7-1 at Bat­tery Park.

The fix­ture was re­versed from Craigard and the first half was fairly even.

Andrew Gilchrist gave Glen­garry a 32 minute lead but Liam Arnott lev­elled three min­utes later.

Ray­mond Robert­son scored on 41 min­utes to put Glen­garry back in front and they held the lead into the break.

Ray­mond Robert­son got his second three min­utes into the second half and for­mer Lochcar­ron player Nick Dal­gety racked up a Glen­garry hat-trick with goals on 56, 62 and 75 min­utes to make it 6-1.

Ray­mond Robert­son com­pleted his hat-trick a cou­ple of min­utes from time to round off the 6-2 win.

Strath­spey Ca­manachd 3 Bole­sk­ine 1

Strath­spey Ca­manachd earned a hard fought 3-1 vic­tory over Bole­sk­ine in their 1.30pm throw-up at Gran­town Gram­mar School which was played in ter­ri­ble weather con­di­tions.

Don­ald Colville gave the home side a second minute lead.

Neil Hope lev­elled on 36 min­utes and it stayed that way un­til the break. Don­ald Colville got his second to put the home side back in front three min­utes af­ter the re- start.

Stu­art Sloss sealed the win when he made it 3-1 on 54 min­utes.

Bole­sk­ine’s Peter Tin­ney was sent off by ref­eree Neil Mac­Don­ald.

Kil­mallie 4 Strath­glass 1

The Kil­mallie sec­onds beat the Strath­glass sec­onds 4-1 at Canal Parks.

Kil­mallie grabbed an early grip on the game as goals from Ross MacKen­zie on two min­utes and Andrew Gibbs on nine min­utes gave them a two goal cush­ion.

Andrew Gibb made it 3- 0 with his second on 14 min­utes and Ross MacKen­zie scored again on 36 min­utes to make it 4- 0 at the break.

Kil­mallie were un­able to add to their tally in a second half where Eoghan Ste­wart’s late counter on 80 min­utes was the pick of the goals as the for­mer Lewis man burst for­ward from full cen­tre to score.

How­ever, Kil­mallie ran out 4-1 win­ners and climb to fifth place in the di­vi­sion.

Lewis Ca­manachd W/O v Lo­vat

Lewis Ca­manachd were given a walk- over as the Lo­vat re­serves were un­able to raise a team for their game at Shaw­bost.

Lewis Ca­manachd took the points, but the Lo­vat sec­onds will lose a point.

Lochaber W/O v In­ver­ness

The In­ver­ness second team were un­able to raise a side for their match against the Lochaber second team at Spean Bridge.

Lochaber were awarded the points, whilst the In­ver­ness side will be docked a point.

Marine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 2 Bute 0 In­ver­aray 0

The In­ver­aray second team stay top of the di­vi­sion af­ter they drew 0- 0 with the Bute second team at The Mead­ows.

Con­nor Howe makes Oban switch

Oban Celtic have signed for­ward Con­nor Howe from Oban Ca­manachd.

Howe hasn’t fea­tured for Oban Ca­manachd in re­cent weeks, how­ever, he scored four premier­ship goals for the Moss­field side ear­lier in the sea­son.

He be­comes the second promis­ing young­ster to join Kenny Wother­spoon’s squad from their Oban ri­vals with Ross MacMil­lan mak­ing the same switch ahead of the start of the sea­son.

WCA round-up

The ladies shinty fo­cus was on Marine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion 1 with most matches played on Sun­day May 20. Lochaber 4 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 1 Ti­tle hope­fuls Lochaber beat Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 4-1 in their 2pm throw-up at Spean Bridge.

Kirsty De­laney scored all four Lochaber goals, with Katie Drain re­ply­ing for GMA.

Skye Ca­manachd 5 Aber­dour 3

Skye Ca­manachd de­feated Aber­dour 5-3 in their noon throwup at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, on Satur­day May 20.

Caitlin MacLean scored a hat­trick whilst Lorna MacRae and Abby MacLean got the other Skye goals. An­nie Pater­son, Ni­amh Don­nelly and Katie Booth were on tar­get for Aber­dour.

Bade­noch 10 Lo­vat 0

Bade­noch beat Lo­vat 10- 0 in their noon throw-up at The Dell. Rhona McIn­tyre and Kirsty Deans both grabbed hat-tricks, Me­gan Ralph scored twice whilst Klau­dia Ordys and Zoe Reid got the oth­ers.

Pho­to­graph: Paul Pater­son. Mal­colm Clark of Oban Ca­manachd shields the ball from Kyles Ath­letic’s Ross Macrae dur­ing the Marine Har­vest Premier­ship match at Tighnabru­aich which ended in a 1-1 draw.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son. Lo­vat’s Martin Main­land holds off Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll’s Calum McLay dur­ing last week­end’s Premier­ship match at Bal­gate.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron. Lochaber’s Zan­der Fer­gu­son and Glenurquhart’s Neale Reid in ac­tion dur­ing their Premier­ship match at the week­end which Lochaber won 3-2.

Oban Celtic re­ceived a new strip from Clark Thom­son In­sur­ance Bro­kers. The team is pic­tured with Oban branch man­ager Graeme Bass.

Pho­to­graph: Stephen Lawson.

In­ver­aray’s Lewis MacNi­col and Bute’s Colin Lawrence in a chase for the ball dur­ing the Bal­liemore Cup match at the Win­ter­ton.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.