Man is jailed again fol­low­ing breach of su­per­vi­sion or­der

The Oban Times - - News -

A FORT WIL­LIAM man who served three years for as­sault has been sent back in­side for two months for breach­ing his re­lease or­der.

Derek Wil­son McLean, 53, had been liv­ing in Southend- on- Sea in Eng­land in con­tra­ven­tion of the nine-month su­per­vi­sion or­der im­posed on his re­lease from cus­tody.

He had been jailed in Novem­ber 2014 for as­sault­ing a man with a poker, caus­ing him se­ri­ous in­jury to the dan­ger of life. The man had been an ac­quain­tance and the pair had been drunk at the time.

McLean had pre­vi­ously ad­mit­ted the breach and ap­peared be­fore Sher­iff Eilidh Mac­Don­ald at Fort Wil­liam on Mon­day. ‘He has not had his trou­bles to seek for a num­ber of years,’ said his de­fence agent Steve Kennedy.

McLean, he said, had been ‘re­leased onto the street and told to get on with it’ at the end of his sen­tence, with­out sup­port, ac­com­mo­da­tion or money. At one stage he had been re­duced to beg­ging.

Hav­ing to deal with an al­co­hol prob­lem and in poor qual­ity home­less ac­com­mo­da­tion, he left Fort Wil­liam and went to Southend.

‘He de­cided on De­cem­ber 23 last year, for his own good, to leave Fort Wil­liam. There were peo­ple he wanted to get away from and make a new start and he knew peo­ple in Southend and de­cided to go there,’ said Mr Kennedy.

At first home­less, and beg­ging, McLean found ac­com­mo­da­tion in a shel­ter run by a char­ity.

‘They are try­ing to help him get al­ter­na­tive ac­com­mo­da­tion and to get back on the straight and nar­row,’ said Mr Kennedy.

Re­leased in May last year, the nine-month or­der is now over. Sher­iff Mac­Don­ald, who jailedMcLean for two months, said: ‘You were con­victed of a very se­ri­ous of­fence and a su­per­vised re­lease or­der is im­posed for a rea­son.’

Mr Kennedy said that McLean would re­turn to Southend on his re­lease from cus­tody.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.