New­ton­more lift MacTav­ish Cup af­ter nar­row win over Kil­mallie

The Oban Times - - Sport -

MacTav­ish Cup fi­nal New­ton­more 3 Kil­mallie 2

New­ton­more re­tained the MacTav­ish Cup with a hard-fought 3-2 win over Kil­mallie in their 4.05pm throw-up at Bught Park, In­ver­ness.

New­ton­more man­ager Paul John MacKin­tosh was with­out young for­ward Iain Robinson who was abroad on a school trip. Jamie Robinson came in at full cen­tre with Steven MacDonald con­tin­u­ing in at­tack. Evan Men­zies joined the se­nior squad for the first time this sea­son af­ter scor­ing six times in two out­ings for the sec­onds and he took a place on the bench.

Kil­mallie boss Mark MacPher­son was with­out sus­pended de­fender Stephen McAlis­ter so Martin Stewart dropped back to cover. Innes Black­hall re­turned af­ter a hand in­jury and started in mid­field. Aaron San­di­son was free of his five-match ban and joined Ryan Stewart and vet­eran John Stewart as sub­sti­tutes. New sign­ing Daniel Stewart was cup­tied.

It was a dif­fi­cult fort­night for Kil­mallie in the lead-up to the fi­nal fol­low­ing the pass­ing of top scorer Dun­can Rodger and club stal­wart Don­ald La­mont se­nior. The Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion had given The Canal Parks side the op­tion of post­pon­ing the fi­nal, but a de­ci­sion to pro­ceed was taken at a club meet­ing.

Both men were re­mem­bered on spe­cially de­signed pre-match Kil­mallie train­ing tops and there was a minute’s ap­plause ahead of throw-up as a mark of re­spect. Michael Rodger added to the poignancy, wear­ing his cousin Dun­can Rodger’s num­ber 12 shirt rather than his usual num­ber nine top in this tele­vised match.

Kil­mallie started with a light wind in their favour, play­ing to­wards the town end in the first half.

A Steven MacDonald shot within 20 sec­onds showed early in­tent but the ball bounced wide. MacDonald went close again on four min­utes when he got to a ball that looked to be go­ing out of play, but his touch from a wide an­gle went across the face of goal.

A cou­ple of min­utes later, as a heavy rain shower fell, Drew MacDonald sent a great ball into the goal area but Glen MacKin­tosh un­char­ac­ter­is­ti­cally blazed a strike over the top from point black range.

A long ball from Kil­mallie de­fender Steven Stewart bounced into the New­ton­more ‘D’ where keeper Nor­man Camp­bell chested it down be­fore vol­ley­ing it to safety.

New­ton­more still looked the more threat­en­ing though and they broke the dead­lock on 16 min­utes. Ackie MacRae lofted the ball high into the dan­ger area where it was con­trolled by Steven MacDonald on the New­ton­more left and, with his back to goal, MacDonald made just enough space to turn and drill a low shot just in­side the keeper’s left post to make it 1- 0.

Kil­mallie were forced to make an early change when Peter McIn­tyre was caught on the top of the head by the drop­ping ca­man of team mate Martin Stewart, leav­ing a nasty gash, so Aaron San­di­son came on.

New­ton­more made a set­piece op­por­tu­nity count on 26 min­utes. Al­lan MacDonald bun­dled down Steven MacDonald just out­side the ‘D’ as the for­ward made for goal. Fraser MacKin­tosh, with his back to goal, slipped the ball to his left where Drew MacDonald lost his marker be­fore crash­ing the ball into the same spot as MacDonald had for the opener to make it 2- 0.

Kil­mallie needed a goal and Calum MacDougall’s di­rect run­ning was caus­ing prob­lems for the New­ton­more de­fence. With the match ap­proach­ing the half-hour mark, MacDougall forced his way through on goal but Michael Russell got a cru­cial touch with his stick to clear for a cor­ner.

Mo­ments later, a su­perb Mark Gra­ham run across goal saw him latch onto a Michael Rodger free-hit but he dragged his shot wide of goal.

Play started to flow from end to end and Glen MacKin­tosh was de­nied a shot on goal by an ex­cel­lent Steven Stewart block.

A Michael Rodger free-hit found Craig MacIsaac but his ef­fort from the left was well-blocked by Scot­land de­fender Andy MacKin­tosh.

Both keep­ers were called into ac­tion as Nor­man Camp­bell saved with his feet from Calum MacDougall, although the shot lacked power, and Kil­mallie cus­to­dian Shane Gil­lies kept out a Drew MacDonald strike.

Calum MacDougall went on an­other di­rect run be­fore be­ing im­peded by Andy MacKin­tosh and a fiery mid­field ex­change saw both play­ers spo­ken to by ref­eree Archie Ritchie.

Glen MacKin­tosh launched the ball just over the bar from the New­ton­more left and Shane Gil­lies used his feet to keep out a low Fraser MacKin­tosh drive.

Peter McIn­tyre re­turned to the field of play af­ter treat­ment with Aaron San­di­son re­turn­ing to the bench.

Nor­man Camp­bell had to look lively to get to a Lewis Bir­rell ball from the left ahead of Mark Gra­ham who was look­ing to profit from any slip-up.

It re­mained 2- 0 un­til the break. New­ton­more looked home and dry three min­utes into the sec­ond half when Fraser MacKin­tosh ran down the left to get onto a low, di­ag­o­nal Steven MacDonald pass. MacKin­tosh stead­ied him­self be­fore giv­ing keeper Gil­lies no chance with a blis­ter­ing drive which made it 3- 0.

Kil­mallie didn’t buckle though and, show­ing great courage, pulled a goal back on 54 min­utes. Innes Black­hall ran at the New­ton­more de­fence and his ball for­ward de­flected to Michael Rodger who took a su­perb touch be­fore send­ing a low strike past the keeper from just in­side the ‘D’. You could sense the emo­tion in the goal cel­e­bra­tions, from the pitch to the touch­line to the Bught Park stand. Kil­mallie were back in the game.

New­ton­more re­turned on the at­tack and Shane Gil­lies made a great save from Fraser MacKin­tosh, turn­ing the strike from the left away for a cor­ner.

Nor­man Camp­bell then made a good stop from Mark Gra­ham, both sides recog­nis­ing the im­por­tance of the next goal.

Martin Stewart was the first player to find his way into ref­eree Archie Ritchie’s book for some­thing said to the match of­fi­cial.

Aaron San­di­son was rein­tro­duced for Lewis Bir­rell, who had taken an ear­lier knock, as the fi­nal moved into the fi­nal quar­ter.

Vet­eran John Stewart took over from Mark Gra­ham in the Kil­mallie at­tack with 20 min­utes re­main­ing and it was to prove to be a prof­itable change.

Fraser MacKin­tosh came within a whisker of net­ting a fourth New­ton­more goal when he con­trolled a Glen MacKin­tosh ball from the right but his low drive went just past Shane Gil­lies’ left post.

Keeper Gil­lies was back in ac­tion again when his clear­ance from in­side the ‘D’ went straight to Paul MacArthur and his drive came off the cross­bar. Gil­lies got his body in the way of Fraser MacKin­tosh’s ef­fort from the re­bound with Martin Stewart bundling the ball out of play for a cor­ner.

New­ton­more were now dom­i­nat­ing again but given their lim­ited prepa­ra­tion for the fi­nal, Kil­mallie’s fit­ness lev­els were sur­pris­ing and they pulled an­other goal back on 76 min­utes. Calum MacDougall had taken a knock and was down to the left of the out­side of the ‘D’. As he made his way to his feet, Kil­mallie’s Peter Carmichael sent the ball back into the goal area where Michael Rodger kept it mov­ing to John Stewart and his ball for­ward de­flected into Calum MacDougall’s path and, un­der pres­sure from Rory Kennedy, he found just enough space to drill the ball home to make it 3-2.

For all New­ton­more’s pres­sure, there was now only one goal in it and, when John Stewart was fouled just out­side the ‘D’, he sent the free-hit to Michael Rodger at the back post but the New­ton­more goal sur­vived.

Craig MacIsaac came off in favour of Ryan Stewart be­fore Andy MacKin­tosh and Calum MacDougall re­sumed hos­til­i­ties with the pair pick­ing up yel­low cards af­ter an­other mid­field spat.

Glen MacKin­tosh hit the side net­ting fol­low­ing a dis­puted free-hit when Steven Stewart was pe­nalised for a chal­lenge on the Scot­land for­ward.

Iain Richard­son was in­tro­duced to add en­ergy to the New­ton­more mid­field, re­plac­ing Jamie Robinson with less than five min­utes to go.

With Martin Stewart now pushed for­ward, the traf­fic was mainly to­wards the New­ton­more goal and an Aaron San­di­son free-hit from wide on the right was well- de­fended with just over two min­utes left.

Evan Men­zies took over from Drew MacDonald with a minute of the reg­u­la­tion 90 min­utes to go. A Steven MacDonald shot swerved wide as the fi­nal moved in to stop­page time.

Kil­mallie tried des­per­ately to cre­ate the chance that could take the fi­nal into ex­tra-time.

David Ma­cLean was booked for hit­ting the ball away af­ter he fouled Aaron San­di­son. San­di­son touched the free hit to Peter Carmichael but his shot was blocked and three shrills of ref­eree Archie Ritchie’s whis­tle brought pro­ceed­ings to a close.

Kil­mallie de­serve enor­mous credit for their part, in dif­fi­cult cir­cum­stances, in what was an en­ter­tain­ing fi­nal. Goalscor­ers Michael Rodger and Calum MacDougall also net­ted in the semi-fi­nal win over Kin­lochshiel. The other scorer that day was Dun­can Rodger and the play­ers did his mem­ory, and that of stal­wart Don­ald La­mont, proud with their dis­play.

The man of the match award went to one of the game’s bright young tal­ents, Kil­mallie’s Calum MacDougall, who was a con­stant threat through­out.

It was an­other tro­phy suc­cess for New­ton­more who put in a pro­fes­sional per­for­mance in what must have been a dif­fi­cult game to pre­pare for.

Su­san Scott from match- day spon­sors An­der­son, Shaw & Gil­bert pre­sented the medals and the MacTav­ish Cup to Rory Kennedy, his first as New­ton­more cap­tain, as the squad and sup­port­ers cel­e­brated a 41st suc­cess in this North of Scot­land cup com­pe­ti­tion.

Bal­liemore Cup – quar­ter fi­nal In­ver­aray 3 Oban Celtic 1

In­ver­aray are through to the Bal­liemore Cup semi-fi­nals af­ter beat­ing Oban Celtic 3-1 in their 3pm throw-up at The Win­ter­ton.

Oban Celtic were 3-2 win­ners when the sides met at the same venue in the Artemis Ma­caulay Cup.

In­ver­aray man­ager Ruaraidh Gra­ham had Dou­glas Dando back in de­fence in place of Ross Mont­gomery, whilst Gra­ham MacPher­son re­turned in goal for Scott MacLach­lan.

Oban Celtic boss Kenny Wother­spoon was with­out Ally McKer­racher who started a three-match ban fol­low­ing his red card against In­ver­ness in their last game a fort­night ear­lier. Broth­ers Jack Hill, John Hill and David Hill were all miss­ing, as was Con­nor Howe who was on hol­i­day.

In­ver­aray started well, with Lewis Mac­Ni­col again im­press­ing in mid­field, but they found Stephen David­son in the Oban Celtic goal to be in fine form.

In­ver­aray even­tu­ally took the lead on the half-hour mark in a move started and fin­ished with a fine Fraser Watt strike.

The goal seemed to spur Oban Celtic on and they slowly started to work their way back into the game dur­ing the re­main­der of the half, aided at times by a lethar­gic look­ing In­ver­aray side.

In­ver­aray man­agers John Mont­gomery and Ally Watt must have had stern words for their boys at the break be­cause they made a fast and de­ter­mined start to the sec­ond half and dou­bled their lead a minute af­ter the re-start with Lewis Mont­gomery pro­duc­ing a com­posed fin­ish. The goal gave In­ver­aray a cush­ion and set­tled home nerves.

Oban Celtic had a chance to pull a goal back when ref­eree Robert Bax­ter pe­nalised Ni­cholas Craw­ford for pulling down his op­po­nent in­side the ‘D’. But Gra­ham MacPher­son showed he hasn’t lost his touch by sav­ing Daniel Madej’s spot-hit.

As the sec­ond half wore on, both teams spurned chances de­spite know­ing the next goal would be piv­otal.

In­ver­aray were next to get a penalty when Oban Celtic keeper Stephen David­son fell on the ball with 68 min­utes on the clock. Fraser Watt smashed the spot-hit home for his sec­ond goal of the game.

In­ver­aray were awarded a sec­ond penalty when Stephen David­son was pe­nalised for a swing at Lewis Mont­gomery, earn­ing the goalie a yel­low card. But Fraser Watt passed up the chance of a hat-trick goal with his penalty strike sail­ing off tar­get.

De­spite a 3- 0 score­line, Oban Celtic, with Andy Hunt in great form, came back strongly and they started to dom­i­nate the cen­tre line, look­ing dan­ger­ous ev­ery time they broke for­ward.

In an at­tempt to up­set Celtic’s rhythm, In­ver­aray made three changes, bring­ing on young­sters Hamish McLen­nan and Robert Wood and the ex­pe­ri­enced David MacPher­son. This seemed to work and In­ver­aray started to look strong again with Robert Wood, in par­tic­u­lar, catch­ing the eye at full for­ward.

Oban Celtic’s Ful­ton Ron­ald pulled a goal back with 10 min­utes re­main­ing, fol­low­ing a scram­ble in the box, to make the fi­nal score 3-1.

This was a solid In­ver­aray per­for­mance against a well or­gan­ised Oban Celtic team and they will play ei­ther Skye Ca­manachd or Fort Wil­liam, who play this com­ing week­end, in the semi-fi­nals.

In­ver­aray will want to ex­tend their win­ning streak this Satur­day when they head north to play In­ver­ness in the Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion.

Oban Celtic have a lo­cal derby to look for­ward to this week­end as they host Oban Ca­manachd at Gana­van in the Artemis Ma­caulay Cup quar­ter-fi­nals. David MacInnes should re­turn for Celtic but Con­nor Howe is on hol­i­day. Ally McKer­racher is still banned, as is Oban Ca­manachd’s Scott MacMil­lan.

Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup - quar­ter fi­nal Bute 0 Lochside Rovers 7

Lochside Rovers are through to the Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup semi-fi­nals af­ter beat­ing the Bute sec­onds 7- 0 at The Mead­ows.

A Craig MacDougall goal on three min­utes set the tone for the tie. It was a sim­ple goal as MacDougall peeled off his marker be­fore send­ing the ball low into the net.

Lewis Buchanan opened his account on 15 min­utes. Craig MacDougall took a free-hit from mid­field out of the air and played the ball to Buchanan around the penalty spot and his first time fin­ish flew into the net.

Lewis Buchanan got his sec­ond and Lochside’s third on 28 min­utes when he moved to the back post to get on the end of a cor­ner and he fired the ball hard into the net for a good fin­ish.

Lewis Buchanan sent a penalty wide of the post shortly af­ter and the vis­i­tors led 3- 0 at the break.

Lochside’s fourth goal, a minute into the sec­ond half, sealed the tie. Iain MacMil­lan went on a mazy run, show­ing great close con­trol, and set up Lewis Buchanan who thumped the ball into the roof of the net to make it 4- 0.

Craig MacDougall added a fifth three min­utes later when he came out to the penalty spot to gather a free-hit and turned be­fore shoot­ing low into the net.

The Bute keeper made a num­ber of great saves, three with his hand and an­other cou­ple of out­stand­ing stops to keep

Lochside at bay un­til 83 min­utes when Iain MacMil­lan drilled the ball across the keeper into the far top cor­ner of the net to make it 6- 0.

Michael MacQueen set up Lewis Buchanan to round off an im­pres­sive in­di­vid­ual per­for­mance from the young­ster with his fourth goal of the game with just a minute re­main­ing.

Next up for Lochside Rovers is a trip to Sil­ver­sands this Satur­day to take on Aber­dour in the Bul­lough Cup.

Caber­feidh 2 Glenurquhart 3

The Glenurquhart sec­onds came from two goals down to beat the Caber­feidh sec­onds 3-2 in their 1pm throw-up at Cas­tle Leod.

Glenurquhart made the bet­ter start but Caber­feidh went in front on 22 min­utes through Jamie Mathe­son who tucked home a re-bound af­ter his ini­tial shot was saved.

It looked good for the home side when Ruairidh Mc­Creadie made it 2- 0 fol­low­ing a good pass­ing move three min­utes af­ter the re- start.

Ben Hosie started the Glenurquhart fightback with a goal a minute later and Oliver Black was on tar­get on 66 min­utes to make it 2-2.

The win­ning goal came 10 min­utes from time when Ben Hosie net­ted his sec­ond of the af­ter­noon.

Glenurquhart will now play Lochside Rovers in the semi-fi­nals.

Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship Glenurquhart 2 Kin­lochshiel 0

Kin­lochshiel dropped their first league points of the sea­son, los­ing 2- 0 to Glenurquhart at Blair­beg.

Glenurquhart man­ager Iain MacLeod was with­out tal­is­man John Barr.

The Scot­land cap­tain has been play­ing at full for­ward whilst re­cov­er­ing from a hand in­jury but he missed this en­counter as he served a one -match sus­pen­sion for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old. James Hur­wood and Cal­lum Smith were also miss­ing and, with Ar­ran MacDonald join­ing the re­turn­ing David MacLen­nan and Iain MacLeod on the bench, Con­nor Go­labeck started at full cen­tre.

Kin­lochshiel boss John­ston Gill was with­out Scot­land for­ward John MacRae who was serv­ing the sec­ond game of a three-match ban. Fel­low in­ter­na­tional Conor Cor­mack was also side­lined as his red card against Oban Ca­manachd the pre­vi­ous Satur­day trig­gered a two-match sus­pen­sion. In­jury con­tin­ued to rule out Paul MacRae whilst Alas­dair Nixon was un­well.

Dun­can ‘ DA’ MacRae was back and started in at­tack, whilst there was a place on the bench for Gordie MacDonald. Kin­lochshiel fielded Fin­lay MacRae at full back, mark­ing James MacPher­son, with Keith MacRae at full cen­tre, flanked by Colin MacDiarmid and Jon­nie MacAskill.

With the MacTav­ish Cup Fi­nal tak­ing place 15 miles down the road, throw-up was brought for­ward to noon.

It was an even first half with keep­ers - Stu­art MacKin­tosh for Glenurquhart and Scott Kennedy for Kin­lochshiel - mak­ing good saves.

Kin­lochshiel brought Gordie MacDonald on for young wing for­ward WD MacRae on 37 min­utes. He was with­drawn shortly af­ter though with a re­cur­rence of his knee in­jury.

Glenurquhart took the lead on 48 min­utes. Ally MacKin­tosh’s ball for­ward found James MacPher­son. His shot was par­tially blocked by Mark MacDonald but it fell for Michael Fraser with his back to goal. Fraser turned and sent a low shot into the net to make it 1- 0.

Daniel MacKin­tosh made it 2- 0 with a clev­erly worked goal on 78 min­utes. James MacPher­son feigned to take a Glenurquhart free-hit but, in­stead, ran for­ward, leav­ing the set-piece to Ed­die Tembo. This seemed to catch out the ‘Shiel de­fence as Tembo played the ball to MacPher­son who got past Don­ald Nixon as he broke down the wing. David Fal­coner went wide to close MacPher­son down, leav­ing Daniel MacKin­tosh unat­tended and MacPher­son found MacKin­tosh with his pass and his con­fi­dent fin­ish made it 2- 0.

Kin­lochshiel edged the first half but shaded af­ter the break with the Glenurquhart cen­tre line, play­ing away from the shop end, win­ning more than their fair share of the ball.

The game was tousy at times and there was a flash-point when a Colin MacDiarmid chal­lenge on Con­nor Go­labek led to the Glenurquhart man hav­ing to be re­placed by Ar­ran MacDonald. With Neale Reid also in­volved, ref­eree John An­gus Gil­lies calmed the sit­u­a­tion with­out pro­duc­ing a yel­low card.

The win means Glenurquhart move up to sixth in the ta­ble, leap-frog­ging Oban Ca­manachd, as they reach the half-way point in their league cam­paign.

Lochaber 2 Glas­gow Mid Argyll 1

There was a four-pointer at Spean Bridge where Lochaber moved off the bot­tom of the Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship with a 2-1 win over Glas­gow Mid Argyll.

Lochaber boss Ally Fer­gu­son had to make a change in goal as Cal­lum MacDonald was work­ing so Lach­lan Camp­bell deputised. Conor Sweeney has a frac­ture, whilst John Sweeney, Pat Toal and Danny De­laney were still out in­jured and Don­ald MacRae was work­ing off-shore. Ben De­laney came into the squad for the first time this sea­son and started on the bench. Jack Dig­nan has been a long-term Lochaber ab­sen­tee with an eye in­jury but he could re­turn soon.

Glas­gow Mid Argyll man­ager Iain Hay had to do with­out Stu­art Reid who was work­ing and Dun­can ‘Ach’ MacRae who is still in­jured. Lochaber took the lead when Shaun Nicolson scored the only goal of the first half. The goal came from a good Martin John­stone clear­ance from mid­field. Bren­nan MacDonald was in­volved in the link-up play which cul­mi­nated in Shaun Nicolson hit­ting a bril­liant strike from 25 yards out which gave the keeper no chance, beat­ing him in­side his right-hand post.

Lach­lan Camp­bell was ex­cel­lent in the home goal and gave con­fi­dence to the Lochaber de­fence, clear­ing his lines well and mak­ing one par­tic­u­larly good save with his feet in the first half. He also saved a Craig An­der­son penalty at 1- 0 to keep his side in front.

GMA equalised when Seb MacMil­lan got onto a ball over Lochaber de­fender Dun­can MacKin­non and drib­bled the ball in­side the ‘D’ be­fore slip­ping it past keeper Lach­lan Camp­bell as he came off his line.

Lochaber in­tro­duced Ben De­laney with 20 min­utes to go and he played a part in his side’s sec­ond goal. Af­ter link-up play with Bren­nan MacDonald, De­laney slipped the ball past the full back be­fore draw­ing the keeper and play­ing in Stu­art Cal­li­son who fin­ished well from close in.

Lochaber put on 18-year- old Calum MacDonald to good ef­fect in the sec­ond half, with fel­low sub­sti­tutes James MacRae and Neil MacDonald un­used.

The win makes it tight at the foot of the ta­ble. Lochaber now climb off the base­ment at Kil­mallie’s ex­pense.

Lochaber are a point bet­ter off than Kil­mallie but a point be­hind GMA with Kil­mallie hav­ing played a game more than their ri­vals.

Lochaber man­ager Ally Fer­gu­son had plenty to be en­cour­aged about. Re­flect­ing on the game, he said: ‘We have had to make a num­ber of forced changes in re­cent weeks for a com­bi­na­tion of rea­sons in­clud­ing player avail­abil­ity, in­jury and work com­mit­ments. But we have now taken four points out of four from our last two league matches which is en­cour­ag­ing and we have scored eight goals in our last three out­ings. GMA are a good side with a lot of en­thu­si­asm and drive but on the day, I felt we were wor­thy of the two points. We al­ways felt threat­ened by GMA through­out the game though as we did not take full ad­van­tage of the good chances we cre­ated to kill the game off with a fur­ther cou­ple of goals.’

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 Aber­dour 3 Bal­lachul­ish 1

Aber­dour top Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 af­ter they over­came Bal­lachul­ish 3-1 at Sil­ver­sands. Bal­lachul­ish keeper Don­ald Pearce started a twom­atch sus­pen­sion, so for­ward Lorne Brown deputised in goal.

With a num­ber of ab­sen­tees, the vis­i­tors fielded a youth­ful side with 11 teenagers in their squad. Man­ager Don­ald Wil­son came out of re­tire­ment to help out and was joined in the side by his son David Wil­son who made his se­nior de­but.

Aber­dour took the lead within the open­ing minute when tal­is­man Roddy MacColl fin­ished off some neat link-up play.

Aber­dour dom­i­nated the early play and ex­tended their lead on 26 min­utes when Roddy MacColl col­lected a Ruar­idh Reid cor­ner and turned his marker to score.

Ruar­idh Reid was again in­volved in Aber­dour’s third goal as he found John Martin Philips with a free-hit and the for­mer Lochcar­ron man scored to make it 3- 0 with 37 min­utes played.

Some good goal-keep­ing from Lorne Brown pre­vented Aber­dour run­ning away with the match and the vis­i­tors had some­thing to cel­e­brate with 15 min­utes re­main­ing when Daniel Wil­son’s ef­fort from dis­tance dropped into the net to give the Bal­lachul­ish U14 player a de­but goal.

Aber­dour now go two points clear at the top of the ta­ble, although sec­ond placed Lochside Rovers are in a strong po­si­tion with three games in hand.

Bal­lachul­ish don’t have a fix­ture this com­ing week and have their free Satur­day the week af­ter.

Taynuilt 3 Tay­forth 1

Taynuilt go fourth af­ter they beat third-placed Tay­forth 3-1 at Taynuilt Sports Field.

Stu­art Scott gave the hosts the lead af­ter 25 min­utes and he added a sec­ond on the stroke of half-time.

David Camp­bell made it 3- 0 on 52 min­utes and although Craig Fer­rier pulled a goal back 10 min­utes later, Taynuilt saw out the re­main­der of the game to se­cure their sec­ond league win of the sea­son.

Glenorchy P Bute P

An un­playable pitch led to the post­pone­ment of the meet­ing be­tween Glenorchy and Bute at Mart Park.

Col Glen P Kil­mory P

The en­counter be­tween Col Glen and Kil­mory was post­poned on Satur­day morn­ing as the wet weather left the Glendaruel pitch un­playable.

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 Lo­vat 1 Glen­garry 8

League lead­ers Glen­garry stay on course for ti­tle suc­cess af­ter they beat the Lo­vat sec­ond team 8-1 in their 1pm throw-up at Bal­gate.

Nick Dal­gety put Glen­garry ahead af­ter six min­utes and Ray­mond Robert­son made it 2- 0 on 21 min­utes.

Lo­vat’s re­sponse was im­me­di­ate as Ray­mond Ren­nie pulled a goal back a minute later, only for Daniel MacLen­nan to re­store the vis­i­tor’s two-goal ad­van­tage on 23 min­utes.

Scott Brem­ner made it 4-1 on 35 min­utes and it re­mained that way un­til the in­ter­val.

Nick Dal­gety has proved more than a use­ful sign­ing since join­ing Glen­garry from Lochcar­ron in the close sea­son and he took his tally to four goals with strikes on 55, 60 and 83 min­utes to make it 7-1.

Ray­mond Robert­son got his sec­ond a minute from time to make it 8-1, leav­ing Glen­garry four points ahead of the Lochaber sec­onds although they have played a game more.

Strath­glass 3 Lewis Ca­manachd 1

The Strath­glass sec­onds beat Lewis Ca­manachd 3-1 in their 1pm throw-up at Can­nich.

Alis­tair Ma­cLean put the home side ahead af­ter 26 min­utes, but a Barry John Phimis­ter own goal on 37 min­utes drew Lewis level.

Colin Birnie on 52 min­utes and Steven Hyslop on 53 min­utes gave Strath­glass their sec­ond league win of the sea­son.

Strath­spey Ca­manachd P Lochcar­ron P

The game be­tween Strath­spey Ca­manachd and Lochcar­ron at Gran­town Gram­mar School will be re-ar­ranged.

Bole­sk­ine P Lochaber P

The 1pm throw-up be­tween Bole­sk­ine and the Lochaber sec­onds was post­poned as Smith Park was ruled un­playable on Fri­day.

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 Stra­chur 5 Aber­dour 1

Stra­chur go sec­ond in Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 on goal dif­fer­ence af­ter beat­ing the Aber­dour sec­ond team 5-1 at Stra­chur­more.

Stu­art Robert­son and An­gus Camp­bell bagged dou­bles, with Kyle McEwan also find­ing the back of the net.

Chris Bow­er­man coun­tered for Aber­dour.

Stra­chur have played a game more than lead­ers In­ver­aray sec­onds with the sides still to meet at Stra­chur­more.

In­ver­aray P Glas­gow Mid Argyll P

A Fri­day pitch in­spec­tion deemed The Win­ter­ton un­able to host two matches, so the noon throw-up be­tween the In­ver­aray and Glas­gow Mid Argyll sec­ond teams will be re-sched­uled.

WCA round-up

The ladies’ fo­cus was on the re­gional leagues.

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 Strath­glass 3 In­ver­ness 3

Strath­glass and In­ver­ness shared the points fol­low­ing a 3-3 draw in their noon throw-up at Can­nich.

Mat­tie Jones, Kayleigh MacGre­gor and Cassie Dor­rian scored for the home side, with Amber Mackay, Caitlin Mutch and Katie MacMil­lan earn­ing In­ver­ness their first point of the sea­son.

Glenurquhart P Lochaber P

The match be­tween Glenurquhart and the Lochaber sec­onds will be re-ar­ranged.

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 Glas­gow Mid Argyll 2 Ard­na­mur­chan 3

League lead­ers Ard­na­mur­chan faced sec­ond-placed Glas­gow Mid Argyll re­serves for the first time this sea­son, notch­ing an im­pres­sive 3-2 win in their 1.30pm throw-up at Hill­head Sports Club.

So­phie Tin­ney got both GMA goals, but An­nie MacDonald, Kate Bradley and Rachel Ford gave Ard­na­mur­chan vic­tory, main­tain­ing their 100 per cent start to their league sea­son.

Cowal & Bute P Oban Lorn P

The clash be­tween Cowal & Bute and Oban Lorn fell foul of an un­playable field.

Du­nadd P Lorne Ladies P

The meet­ing be­tween Du­nadd and Lorne Ladies was post­poned be­cause of an un­playable field.

Lochaber are high school cham­pi­ons

Lochaber won the Se­nior High School Girls League in Fort Wil­liam on Thurs­day June 8.

Lochaber and Portree won all their league games, whilst draw­ing with each other, in this round-robin tour­na­ment, so they met in the fi­nal where Lochaber won the day.

Glenurquhart High School won the 2017 De­vel­op­ment Shield, over­com­ing Kin­gussie in the fi­nal.

The eight teams in­volved were: Ard­na­mur­chan, Glenurquhart, Kin­gussie, Lochaber A, Lochaber B, Plock­ton, Portree, and Ud­dingston.

Fix­tures Fri­day June 16 Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2

In­ver­ness v Strath­spey Andy Ma­cLean - 7pm

Satur­day June 17 Artemis Ma­caulay Cup Quar­ter Fi­nal (South)

Kyles Ath­letic v Glas­gow MA Robert Bax­ter Oban Celtic v Oban Ca­man Wil­lie MacDonald

Bal­liemore Cup 3rd Round

Skye v Fort Wil­liam Gra­ham Cameron

Strathdearn Cup 3rd Round

Glen­garry v Fort Wil­liam Brian MacKay Lochaber v New­ton­more Des Mc­Nulty - noon Kin­gussie v Kil­mallie John Wood Strath­glass v Skye Scott McNeil

Bul­lough Cup 2nd Round

Aber­dour v Lochside Rovers Ewan MacDonald Bute v Kyles Ath­letic Euan Pear­son - noon In­ver­aray v Kil­mory Gra­ham Fisher Stra­chur v Oban Lorn Jim Innes

Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship

Lo­vat v New­ton­more Martin Ma­cLean Lochaber v Kin­lochshiel Innes Wood - 3pm

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion

Caber­feidh v Strath­glass John An­gus Gil­lies In­ver­ness v In­ver­aray Calum Gir­van

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1

Aberdeen Uni v Kin­lochshiel Archie Ritchie Glenurquhart v Beauly John Mathe­son - 3pm

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1

Bute v Tay­forth Ross Brown Glenorchy v Kil­mory Deek Cameron Taynuilt v Col Glen David Mitchell Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 Bole­sk­ine v Lochcar­ron Steven MacLach­lan Lewis v Caber­feidh Ron­nie Camp­bell Throw-ups 2.30pm un­less stated.

Re­sults Satur­day June 10 MacTav­ish Cup Fi­nal

New­ton­more 3 v 2 Kil­mallie

Bal­liemore Cup 3rd Round

In­ver­aray 3 v 1 Oban Celtic

Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup 3rd Round

Bute 0 v 7 Lochside Rovers Caber­feidh 2 v 3 Glenurquhart Marine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship Glenurquhart 2 v 0 Kin­lochshiel Lochaber 2 v 1 Glas­gow MA

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1

Aber­dour 3 v 1 Bal­lachul­ish Col Glen Pv P Kil­mory Un­playable field Glenorchy Pv P Bute Un­playable field Taynuilt 3 v 1 Tay­forth

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2

Bole­sk­ine Pv P Lochaber Un­playable field Lo­vat 1 v 8 Glen­garry Strath­glass 3 v 1 Lewis Strath­spey Pv P Lochcar­ron To be re-ar­ranged

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2

In­ver­aray Pv P Glas­gow MA Un­playable field Stra­chur 5 v 1 Aber­dour

Pho­to­graphs: Neil Pater­son.

The vic­to­ri­ous New­ton­more team af­ter their 3-2 win over Kil­mallie.

New­ton­more cap­tain Rory Kennedy with the MacTav­ish Cup.

A touch­ing mes­sage on the Kil­mallie warm-up tops, in mem­ory of Don­ald La­mont and Dun­can Rodger who re­cently passed away.

Kil­mallie’s Calum MacDougall was voted man of the match.

Pho­to­graph: Stephen Law­son.

In­ver­aray’s Al­lan MacDonald and Oban Celtic’s Andy MacDonald in a tus­sle for the ball dur­ing their Bal­liemore Cup tie at the Win­ter­ton.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.