Oban Ca­manachd take on Kyles in Celtic Cup fi­nal this week­end

The Oban Times - - Sport -

OBAN Ca­manachd and Kyles Ath­letic will meet in the Artemis Macau­lay Cup semi-fi­nals fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day June 17.

Artemis Macau­lay Cup - quar­ter fi­nal Oban Celtic 0 Oban Ca­manachd 4

Oban Ca­manachd reached the Artemis Macau­lay Cup semi-fi­nals thanks to a 4- 0 derby win over Oban Celtic at a wet Gana­van.

Oban Celtic man­ager Kenny Wother­spoon was with­out the sus­pended Ally McKer­racher as well as David MacInnes, Con­nor Howe, Rory Bruce and Robert Alexan­der.

There were also sus­pen­sion woes for Oban Ca­manachd boss Iain Hay who was mi­nus Scott MacMil­lan who served a one­match ban for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old. Gary McKer­racher was on hol­i­day but David Laf­ferty and young­ster Lewis Buchanan were in­cluded.

Oban Celtic opened well and Gavin Sto­b­bart in the Ca­manachd goal was called into ac­tion more than once.

How­ever, the red and blacks adapted to the con­di­tions and Ai­dan MacIn­tyre gave them the lead on 32 min­utes when he won the ball in mid­field be­fore send­ing a drop­ping shot into the net on his left side from 25 yards out.

Daniel MacVicar forced home a re­bound to make it 2- 0 on 39 min­utes. Mal­colm Clark won the ball from an Oban Celtic goal-hit and he ran left be­fore find­ing Matt Rip­pon who played in An­drew MacCuish. Oban Celtic keeper Stephen David­son saved MacCuish’s low shot but MacVicar net­ted from the re­bound.

Matt Rip­pon scored twice in three sec­ond half min­utes to seal the win. First, Rip­pon volleyed the ball into the net from close range fol­low­ing a long Lorne Dickie free-hit to make it 3- 0 with 72 min­utes played.

Then, just three min­utes later, Rip­pon’s snap-shot from the left went high into the net to make it 4- 0.

The win sets Oban Ca­manachd up nicely for this Satur­day’s Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup Fi­nal against Kyles Ath­letic. How­ever, man­ager Iain Hay will have to do with­out Daniel MacVicar and Gary McKer­racher who are both on hol­i­day. Scott MacMil­lan is avail­able again and there will be places in the squad for David Laf­ferty, Craig MacDougall and Lewis Buchanan.

Kyles will do a check on keeper John Whyte who has a hand in­jury and Innes MacDon­ald who has an an­kle knock.

Kyles Ath­letic 2 Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 0

Kyles Ath­letic are safely through to the semi-fi­nals af­ter they beat Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 2- 0 at Tighnabru­aich.

Dunkie Kerr scored a goal in each half to give Kyles the win, his strikes com­ing on 13 and 60 min­utes.

Kyles Ath­letic will now play Oban Ca­manachd in the Artemis Macau­lay Cup semi-fi­nals in a tie sched­uled for Satur­day July 22.

More im­me­di­ately, Kyles Ath­letic and Oban Ca­manachd meet in the Gre­gor Cameron Celtic So­ci­ety Cup Fi­nal at Taynuilt Sports Field this Satur­day. Throw-up is at 4pm with the match broad­cast live on BBC Alba.

Bal­liemore Cup – quar­ter fi­nal Skye Ca­manachd 0 Fort Wil­liam 1

Fort Wil­liam edged out Skye Ca­manachd 1- 0 at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree, to reach the last-four of the Bal­liemore Cup.

Skye Ca­manachd co-man­agers Wil­lie Cowie and Peter Gor­don had selec­tion headaches. Steven Mor­ri­son and Ally ‘Spod’ Ma­cLeod re­mained out through in­jury while John Gil­lies joined them on the side­lines af­ter break­ing his wrist play­ing foot­ball. Gil­leas­buig MacDon­ald was un­avail­able and Kenny Camp­bell was on his hon­ey­moon.

Fort Wil­liam co-man­agers Vic­tor Smith and Adam Robert­son in­cluded young­ster Lewis Clark who was free of his two -match sus­pen­sion.

There was a minute’s si­lence ahead of throw-up to mark the pass­ing of for­mer Kilmallie and Fort Wil­liam player Dun­can Rodger.

Nei­ther of the sides had played for three weeks and both looked rusty dur­ing the early ex­changes.

The clos­est Skye came to a first half goal was a Jor­dan Murchi­son shot which was saved with his feet by Paul MacKay whilst, at the other end, Gra­ham Camp­bell played in Jack Fraser but his shot rose over the top.

It was fit­ting the only goal of the match came fol­low­ing the best move of the game. Fort Wil­liam worked the ball down their right flank where Jack Fraser crossed for Gra­ham Camp­bell who had a shoot­ing chance but opted to play the ball to his left where an un­marked Bryan Simp­son ran in to fin­ish well.

Fort Wil­liam came close to doubling their lead when sub­sti­tute Lewis Clark played in Bryan Simp­son on the right but his shot went past the post.

Skye tried to take the tie to ex­tra-time and the clos­est they came was a Will Cowie strike which went over the bar.

Stand-in full cen­tre Danny Mor­ri­son was best for Skye whilst young de­fender Ally MacRae caught the eye for Fort Wil­liam with play-maker Bryan Simp­son their top man.

Speak­ing af­ter the match, Fort Wil­liam co-boss Vic­tor Smith was pleased with the win. He said: ‘It’s not of­ten we come to Skye and draw, never mind win so we’re de­lighted with that. I en­joyed the win­ning goal. We saw three or four passes in the lead up to the goal and that didn’t hap­pen of­ten for ei­ther team dur­ing the game. Con­di­tions were very dif­fi­cult, but both teams dug in de­spite the wind and the rain.’

When asked about the per­for­mances of Ally MacRae and Bryan Simp­son, Smith added: ‘Ally MacRae came in at wing back by de­fault around three or four games into the sea­son and he’s been there ever since. He’s young, fit and fear­less and he’s been ab­so­lutely fan­tas­tic for us. He’s a good stick player and a good hit­ter. Bryan Simp­son gives us ex­pe­ri­ence up front and a wee bit of class too and he makes a dif­fer­ence to the team when he can play. The Skye full cen­tre Danny Mor­ri­son was also very good and had plenty run­ning and I liked watch­ing him. We haven’t turned the cor­ner yet at Fort Wil­liam but we are get­ting there.’

Next up is an Artemis Macau­lay Cup tie against New­ton­more. Smith said: ‘ We’ve given New­ton­more a cou­ple of good games this sea­son but you al­ways feel New­ton­more can go up two or three gears dur­ing a game so this will be dif­fi­cult, es­pe­cially at The Ei­lan.’

And with the Bal­liemore semi the week af­ter, the Fort boss added: ‘I haven’t seen In­ver­aray this year but they are like our­selves, ex­pe­ri­enced play­ers with a hand­ful of young­sters.’

Skye Ca­manachd co-man­ager Wil­lie Cowie of­fered no ex­cuses. ‘I thought we played well in de­fence and the mid­field was good but we just didn’t do enough up front,’ he said.

Fort Wil­liam will now meet In­ver­aray in the Bal­liemore Cup semi-fi­nals. The tie will take place on Satur­day July 1 at a neu­tral venue.

Strathdearn Cup – quar­ter fi­nals Glen­garry 6 Fort Wil­liam 0

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 lead­ers Glen­garry beat the Fort Wil­liam sec­ond team from the league above 6- 0 at Craigard.

Fort Wil­liam were with­out the sus­pended Scott MacDon­ald who served a ban for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old.

Nick Dal­gety gave Glen­garry the lead in the fifth minute and Ray­mond Robert­son scored twice on 20 and 30 min­utes to make it 3- 0.

Nick Dal­gety got his sec­ond a cou­ple of min­utes later and a Daniel MacLen­nan goal on 43 min­utes en­sured it would be 5- 0 at the break.

Glen­garry’s Alan Knox scored the only goal of the sec­ond half on 64 min­utes.

Lochaber 4 New­ton­more 4

(Af­ter ex­tra-time) New­ton­more won 4-2 on pens) The New­ton­more sec­onds even­tu­ally got past the Lochaber sec­onds in a dra­matic noon throw-up at Spean Bridge.

Lochaber took the lead on 24 min­utes with Keith Neville scor­ing.

Lach­lan Camp­bell made it 2- 0 on 29 min­utes but the vis­i­tors pulled a goal back a minute later so Lochaber took a 2-1 lead into the break.

Kenny Ross drew New­ton­more level on 59 min­utes but the scor­ing didn’t end there.

Calum Ste­wart looked to have put New­ton­more through when he com­pleted his hat-trick with goals on 74 and 81 min­utes to make it 4-2.

Lochaber re­fused to give in though and Sam Lees on 85 min­utes and a sec­ond from Lach­lan Camp­bell on the stroke of full-time en­sured an ex­tra 30 min­utes would be re­quired.

With no scor­ing dur­ing ex­tra-time, ref­eree Innes Wood took the tie to a penalty shootout which New­ton­more won 4-2. Kenny Ross, John MacKen­zie, Craig Ma­cLeod and Calum Ste­wart scored the penal­ties that made the dif­fer­ence.

The New­ton­more sec­ond team and Glen­garry now meet in what should be an in­ter­est­ing semi-fi­nal.

Kin­gussie 2 Kilmallie 1

Two first half goals gave the Kin­gussie colts a 2-1 win over the Kilmallie colts at The Dell.

Dy­lan Borth­wick on 25 min­utes and Rory Fraser on 29 min­utes made it 2- 0 at the break.

Kevin Toye in the Kilmallie goal made some good saves dur­ing the match and Kin­gussie young­ster Kieran MacPher­son did well against an­other promis­ing youth, Kilmallie’s Calum MacDougall.

Kilmallie gave new sign­ing Daniel Ste­wart some game time and he pulled a goal back on 60 min­utes but it’s Kin­gussie who go through.

Strath­glass 1 Skye Ca­manachd 10

The Skye Ca­manachd sec­ond team over­pow­ered the Strath­glass sec­ond team, win­ning 10-1 at Can­nich.

Skye trav­elled with seven play­ers - Martin Pringle, James Mor­ri­son, Con­nor Gilpin, Ross Gor­don, Calum Robert­son, Ste­wart Tay­lor and Mark MacQueen - from the Skye Ca­manachd U17 squad which lifted the MacTav­ish Ju­ve­nile Cup the pre­vi­ous week­end and they chipped in with all but one of the Skye goals. Iain Mur­ray is with the Skye first team.

Martin Pringle gave Skye the lead on 19 min­utes and Ross Gor­don made it 2- 0 on 24 min­utes.

Martin Pringle got his sec­ond on 25 min­utes be­fore com­plet­ing his hat-trick to make it 4- 0 on 36 min­utes.

Con­nor Gilpin on 41 min­utes and player/man­ager Kenny Ma­cLeod a cou­ple of min­utes later made it 6- 0 at the in­ter­val.

A sec­ond from Con­nor Gilpin on 53 min­utes and a fourth from Martin Pringle on the hour made it 8- 0.

Ross Gor­don got his sec­ond on 71 min­utes be­fore Sam Cooper pulled a Strath­glass goal back a cou­ple of min­utes later.

There was still time for Ross Gor­don to com­plete his hat­trick, scor­ing on 82 min­utes to round off the 10-1 vic­tory.

Skye gave young­ster Mark MacQueen a sec­ond team de­but in the sec­ond half.

The Skye Ca­manachd and Kin­gussie sec­ond teams now meet in the Strathdearn Cup semi-fi­nals.

Bul­lough Cup – quar­ter fi­nals Aber­dour 1 Lochside Rovers 2

Lochside Rovers came from a goal down to beat the Aber­dour sec­onds 3-1 at Sil­ver­sands.

With Gareth Evans away, Brian McCal­lum took Lochside. He had to do with­out Stephen Sloss, Craig MacDougall, Iain MacMil­lan and Jor­dan Kerr who were all work­ing, whilst top scorer Lewis Buchanan was with the se­nior team.

This meant younger boys in­clud­ing Len­non Camp­bell, Scott Robert­son and Ruar­idh Horne got game time, whilst other play­ers were tried in dif­fer­ent po­si­tions.

A pre­cise Jamie An­der­son fin­ish gave Aber­dour the lead on 28 min­utes. This was the first goal Lochside had con­ceded in seven matches, dat­ing back to mid-April.

This stung Lochside into ac­tion and Craig MacMil­lan lev­elled on the half-hour mark with Michael MacQueen giv­ing the Oban side the lead just a cou­ple of min­utes be­fore the break.

Craig MacMil­lan got his sec­ond on the hour to seal a semi-fi­nal place.

It wasn’t Lochside’s best per­for­mance of the sea­son but they’ll be pleased with the win.

With no game this com­ing Satur­day be­cause of Oban Ca­manachd’s in­volve­ment in the Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup Fi­nal, Lochside’s next out­ing will be against Glenurquhart’s sec­ond team in the Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup semi-fi­nals the fol­low­ing week.

Stra­chur 5 Oban Lorn 0

Stra­chur are through to the semi-fi­nals af­ter they beat Oban Lorn 5- 0 at Stra­chur­more.

Calum MacLean was free to play but he will miss Oban Lorn’s next two games for a dis­ci­plinary points ac­cu­mu­la­tion.

Ian MacLen­nan on 26 min­utes and Stu­art Robert­son on 33 min­utes had Stra­chur two goals to the good be­fore Ian MacLen­nan got his sec­ond to make it 3- 0 on 39 min­utes.

Ian Wil­son on 66 min­utes and Wil­liam Mcglad­dery on 79 min­utes gave Stra­chur a solid 5- 0 win.

Oban Lorn’s An­drew MacMil­lan was sent off by ref­eree Jim Innes.

Bute 0 Kyles Ath­letic 2 The Kyles Ath­letic re­serves beat the Bute re­serves 2- 0 in their noon throw-up at The Mead­ows.

Craig Martin put Kyles in front on 15 min­utes.

Ge­orge Thom­son made it 2- 0 on 34 min­utes and Kyles took that ad­van­tage into the in­ter­val.

There was no scor­ing in the sec­ond half and the Kyles Ath­letic re­serves now come up against Stra­chur in the penul­ti­mate round of the com­pe­ti­tion. In­ver­aray P Kil­mory P The tie be­tween the In­ver­aray sec­onds and the Kil­mory sec­onds, who only play in cup com­pe­ti­tions, was brought for­ward to Fri­day June 16.

The game was post­poned on Thurs­day evening though as The Win­ter­ton was un­playable.

The win­ners will play Lochside Rovers, rid­ing high in Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1, in the Bul­lough Cup semi-fi­nals. Marine Har­vest Premier­ship Lo­vat 1 New­ton­more 0

Lo­vat beat newly- crowned MacTav­ish Cup win­ners New­ton­more 1- 0 at Bal­gate.

Throw-up was brought for­ward to 12.30pm at Lo­vat’s re­quest.

Lo­vat were with­out Scott MacKen­zie who was on hol­i­day.

New­ton­more were still mi­nus teenage for­ward Iain Robinson. Michael Rus­sell suf­fered a bro­ken thumb in train­ing, whilst Fraser MacK­in­tosh was also in­jured. Evan Men­zies was on hol­i­day. Craig Ritchie and Conor Jones were given starts.

Both de­fences were on top throughout this game.

New­ton­more looked dan­ger­ous from set-pieces and when Cal­lum Cru­den was pe­nalised by ref­eree Lachie Wood, Steven MacDon­ald played the ball to Drew MacDon­ald but Lo­vat goalie Stu­art MacDon­ald threw him­self to make a good save with his stick.

With New­ton­more de­fend­ing high up the park, Greg Mathe­son did well to an­tic­i­pate a ball over the top and ran in on goal. Mathe­son took the ball into the ‘D’ and tried to take it around keeper Nor­man Camp­bell who halted his run and cleared the dan­ger. Lo­vat claimed for a penalty, but ref­eree Lachie Wood waved away their claims.

There were few shots on tar­get with the New­ton­more de­fence quick to thwart any home at­tack.

The hosts found the back of the net on 40 min­utes though. Lorne MacKay’s back­hand shot was saved with his legs by Nor­man Camp­bell but Greg Mathe­son was onto the re­bound to steer the ball into the bot­tom left cor­ner of the net to make it 1- 0.

The match be­came tousy at times in the sec­ond half with Iain Richard­son com­ing off the bench, con­tin­u­ing to look dan­ger­ous from set-plays.

When Steven MacDon­ald played a free-hit across the ‘D’ on 77 min­utes, Glen MacK­in­tosh hit a ter­rific shot but Stu­art MacDon­ald made an even bet­ter save.

A minute later, an­other New­ton­more free-hit saw Steven MacDon­ald ham­mer the ball goal­wards and this time Stu­art MacDon­ald saved with his legs.

The de­feat was harsh on New­ton­more but Lo­vat held on as they en­joy their best spell of the sea­son so far.

Danny Kelly was tops for Lo­vat whilst Conor Jones, who was al­ways will­ing to come deep to link up play, caught the eye for New­ton­more.

Lo­vat now leap-frog New­ton­more into fourth spot in the league with a two-point ad­van­tage, al­though they have played two games more.

The de­feat, New­ton­more’s third in the league this sea­son, is a blow to the reign­ing cham­pion’s hopes of an eighth suc­ces­sive league Marine Har­vest Premier­ship ti­tle.

New­ton­more now trail lead­ers Kyles by six points, with both teams hav­ing played eight games.

New­ton­more meet Fort Wil­liam at The Ei­lan this Satur­day in the Artemis Macau­lay Cup quar­ter-fi­nals. Lo­vat are also in Macau­lay last four ac­tion and they face Lochaber at Spean Bridge on the same day.

Lochaber 1 Kin­lochshiel 1

Lochaber and Kin­lochshiel shared the points in a 1-1 draw in their 3pm throw-up at Spean Bridge.

Lochaber man­ager Ally Fer­gu­son had Cal­lum MacDon­ald back in goal, tak­ing over from stand-in keeper Lach­lan Camp­bell. John Sweeney. Pat Toal and Don­ald Macrae were still out.

Kin­lochshiel boss John­ston Gill had John MacRae and Conor Cor­mack sit­ting out the fi­nal games of their re­spec­tive sus­pen­sions. Gordie MacDon­ald faces a spell on the side­lines with a knee prob­lem whilst Jor­dan Fraser was an­other ab­sen­tee. Fraser MacVicar was given a start and there was a place for Sea­mus Lane.

An op­por­tunist Paul MacRae

strike on 31 min­utes gave Kin­lochshiel the lead. Lochaber had a cou­ple of chances to clear their lines be­fore MacRae, play­ing at full for­ward af­ter re­turn­ing early fol­low­ing a bro­ken fin­ger, took full ad­van­tage as he slot­ted the ball home from 12 yards, giv­ing the keeper no chance.

Cal­lum MacDon­ald was the busier of the two keep­ers in the first half but Lochaber per­haps had more of the play. How­ever Kin­lochshiel had to set­tle for a one-goal ad­van­tage at the break.

The sec­ond half saw Scott Kennedy much more in­volved but there was lit­tle he could do to pre­vent Stu­art Cal­li­son lev­el­ling on 53 min­utes. Brennan MacDon­ald slipped the ball past Fin­lay MacRae to bring Cal­li­son into play and he ran onto the ball be­fore tuck­ing it home to make it 1-1.

Lochaber had a chance to snatch both points with 10 min­utes to go when Kevin Fer­gu­son went through on goal, one- onone with keeper Kennedy. But he was un­able to hit the tar­get with the ball just go­ing wide of the post.

It was a hard fought point for both teams and whilst Lochaber will feel they did enough in the sec­ond half to win the game, a draw was prob­a­bly a fair re­flec­tion of the over­all play.

Kin­lochshiel’s Colin MacDiarmid could be side­lined af­ter ap­pear­ing to be red- carded by ref­eree Innes Wood for some­thing said just af­ter he’d been sub­sti­tuted.

Lochaber’s 18-year- old wing cen­tre Findlay MacDon­ald was out­stand­ing, work­ing tire­lessly in the mid­dle of the park and cre­at­ing space and chances for the home for­wards.

Kin­lochshiel’s Keith MacRae and Paul MacRae al­ways looked threat­en­ing but they were well mar­shalled by Zandz Fer­gu­son and Dun­can MacKin­non.

It was an­other valu­able point for Lochaber who have now taken five points out of the last six in the league whilst Kin­lochshiel have gone five con­sec­u­tive games with­out a win.

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion Caber­feidh 6 Strath­glass 1

Caber­feidh go top of the Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion af­ter they beat Strath­glass 6-1 at Cas­tle Leod.

Caber­feidh’s Martin MacDon­ald was free of sus­pen­sion.

Craig Mor­ri­son put Caber­feidh in front on 13 min­utes with the only goal of a first half played mainly in mid­field. A good ball from the im­pres­sive Ally MacLen­nan at full cen­tre found Kevin Bartlett on the right and he de­liv­ered a loop­ing cross which de­ceived the Strath­glass de­fence. It found Craig Mor­ri­son at the edge of the box and he ham­mered the ball home.

The re­main­der of the half ebbed and flowed un­til a flare up be­tween Scott Dou­glas and Liam Sy­monds, joined by their re­spec­tive broth­ers, with all four play­ers re­ceiv­ing a warn­ing and a yel­low card from ref­eree John An­gus Gil­lies.

The sec­ond half started brightly and Colin MacLen­nan made it 2- 0 on 51 min­utes when he fin­ished off a good move be­tween the for­wards by beat­ing the keeper at his left post.

Kevin Bartlett had been well-po­liced by Don­ald Fraser dur­ing the first half but he cre­ated just enough space on the left to drill the ball past a help­less keeper to add a third on 55 min­utes.

Michael Stokes pulled Strath­glass back into the game with a goal a minute later to make it 3-1.

The goal came fol­low­ing a long run from the cen­tre line dur­ing which Stokes was tripped but the ref­eree played ad­van­tage and Stokes com­posed him­self be­fore his shot flew into the net off a home de­fender.

It then be­came the ‘ Kevin Bartlett Show’ as he took his tally to four goals with ef­forts on 66, 79 and 83 min­utes. The last one was the best as the Scot­tish in­ter­na­tional took the ball down and slammed it into the roof of the net from 20 yards out.

Ally MacLen­nan had a fault­less game at full cen­tre for Caber­feidh and his team-mate Blair Mor­ri­son was com­mand­ing at buck­shee back. The home for­ward line were very sharp and Craig Mor­ri­son and Kevin Bartlett shone over the 90 min­utes.

Strath­glass played well in de­fence, es­pe­cially vet­eran Don­ald Fraser and keeper Ally MacA­dams who made a num­ber of good saves.

The Caber­feidh win, cou­pled with Skye be­ing in Bal­liemore Cup ac­tion, means Caber­feidh go a point ahead of the ss­lan­ders at the top al­though they have played a game more.

In­ver­ness 0 In­ver­aray 10

In­ver­aray recorded a fifth suc­ces­sive win when they beat In­ver­ness 10- 0 at a glo­ri­ous Bught Park.

The In­ver­ness ab­sen­tees in­cluded Dougie Rankin who sat this game out to com­plete a two match ban.

In­ver­aray trav­elled with a full squad with Scott MacLach­lan com­ing back in for Gra­ham MacPher­son in goal.

The vis­i­tors started strongly and it wasn’t long be­fore they made their mark with full back turned star striker Al­lan MacDon­ald scor­ing with a ferocious strike with three min­utes played.

With the wind in their favour, In­ver­aray con­tin­ued to dom­i­nate the first half, put­ting a fur­ther five goals past In­ver­ness goalie Ken­neth Loades.

A stereo­typ­i­cal Garry MacPher­son rocket found the back of the net on 13 min­utes with top scorer Lewis Mont­gomery adding a third on 24 min­utes.

Al­lan MacDon­ald got his sec­ond a cou­ple of min­utes later and a first se­nior goal for young Ruaraidh Gra­ham made it 5- 0 on 29 min­utes.

Al­lan MacDon­ald com­pleted his hat-trick on 35 min­utes to make it 6- 0 at the break.

In­ver­ness made changes to try and stem the tide with player/ man­ager Drew McNeil go­ing to full cen­tre. How­ever In­ver­aray con­tin­ued to play their char­ac­ter­is­tic silky shinty, giv­ing the home side a torrid time.

In­ver­ness now had the el­e­ments but the In­ver­aray back line dealt with any home threats and Lewis MacNi­col added his name to the score-sheet on 59 min­utes fol­low­ing a move which started from the de­fence, went through the cen­tre line with the ball even­tu­ally land­ing kindly on MacNi­col’s stick.

Player/man­ager Ruaraidh Gra­ham made it 8- 0 with an­other well-worked team goal on 71 min­utes.

With such a com­mand­ing lead, it would have been easy for In­ver­aray to take their foot off the gas but young Fraser Watt had dif­fer­ent ideas, scor­ing his brace on 83 and 84 min­utes to make it 10- 0.

Fraser Watt’s younger brother Camp­bell made his first se­nior ap­pear­ance and the 14-year- old showed that he is one to watch in the fu­ture, con­tribut­ing well to the In­ver­aray for­ward line.

The win lifts In­ver­aray to third in the ta­ble on goal dif­fer­ence and with no sched­uled game this Satur­day, their man­age­ment team of Ruaraidh Gra­ham, Ally Watt and John Mont­gomery will want to en­sure their play­ers re­main fo­cused on keep­ing their win­ning streak go­ing.

In­ver­ness also have no fix­ture and they’ll look to get play­ers back and put this de­feat be­hind them.

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 Aberdeen Univer­sity 4 Kin­lochshiel 0

Aberdeen Univer­sity go sec­ond in the league af­ter they beat the Kin­lochshiel sec­ond team 4- 0 at a sun-kissed Bal­go­wnie.

Stu­art Cameron put the stu­dents ahead on 16 min­utes and Gre­gor Cush­nie made it 2- 0 on 27 min­utes.

Wil­lie Hunter added a third on 33 min­utes with Gre­gor Cush­nie mak­ing it 4- 0 with his sec­ond on 65 min­utes.

Had it not been for some great goal­keep­ing, in­clud­ing a penalty save from Ray­mond Gil­lies, the home side could have won by a big­ger mar­gin.

The win lifts Aberdeen to sec­ond spot in the divi­sion on goal dif­fer­ence, two points be­hind the New­ton­more colts but with a game in hand, and con­tin­ues their great start to their league cam­paign fol­low­ing their pro­mo­tion from Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 at the end of last sea­son.

Glenurquhart 3 Beauly 2

The Glenurquhart sec­onds edged out the Beauly sec­onds 3-2 in their 3pm throw-up at Blair­beg.

The teams oc­cu­pied the bot­tom two places in the league go­ing into this game and bot­tom side Glenurquhart took a two goal lead with strikes from Jed Stod­dart on 20 min­utes and Michael Fraser on 32 min­utes.

Beauly had Marc MacLach­lan back in their side for the first time this sea­son and he re­duced the deficit 10 min­utes into the sec­ond half.

Daniel MacK­in­tosh scored what proved to be a cru­cial third goal with 10 min­utes re­main­ing as Ross Forbes made it 3-2 on the stroke of full time.

The Glenurquhart sec­onds now move off the bot­tom of the ta­ble Beauly’s ex­pense.

Marine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 Bute 7 Tay­forth 1

Bute con­tinue their climb up the ta­ble fol­low­ing a 7-1 win over third-placed Tay­forth in their 3pm throw up at The Mead­ows.

Robert Walker was in pro­lific form for the is­lan­ders and his early hat-trick, with goals on 7, 9 and 26 min­utes, gave Bute a wel­come goal cush­ion.

Gor­don MacMil­lan added a fourth on 36 min­utes whilst Robert Walker got his fourth a cou­ple of min­utes later.

A sec­ond Gor­don MacMil­lan goal gave Bute an unas­sail­able 6- 0 lead at the break.

Robert Walker rounded off a su­perb per­sonal per­for­mance with his fifth goal of the game on 65 min­utes, al­though there was some con­so­la­tion for Tay­forth when Derry Bar­ton net­ted on 69 min­utes.

Bute are now eighth in the league and they have games in hand on the teams above them.

Glenorchy P Kil­mory P

The meet­ing be­tween Glenorchy and Kil­mory was post­poned as Glenorchy’s Mart Park pitch was ruled un­playable.

Taynuilt P Col Glen P

The match be­tween Taynuilt and Col Glen at Taynuilt Sports Field was post­poned on Fri­day evening be­cause of an un­playable pitch. The match will be resched­uled for a later date.

Marine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 In­ver­ness 3 Strath­spey Ca­manachd 1

The match be­tween the In­ver­ness colts and Strath­spey Ca­manachd was played at a breezy Bught Park out­side pitch on Fri­day June 16 with a 7pm throw-up.

Strath­spey started well but the home side set­tled into the game and they had the ball in the net early in the con­test but ref­eree Andy MacLean ruled out the ef­fort for a ‘kick’.

In­ver­ness, who had Peter Grace and Michael Price back in their side, did break the dead­lock on 27 min­utes cour­tesy of a sweet strike from for­mer Fort Wil­liam player Andy Reid.

The hosts had the chance to dou­ble their lead when they were awarded a penalty. Ewen MacKin­non made a surg­ing run from the In­ver­ness mid­field and his cross into the ‘D’ from the cor­ner flag on the left was ad­judged to have been kicked by a vis­it­ing de­fender. How­ever Doniel Ma­cLeod missed the tar­get from the spot.

A sec­ond In­ver­ness penalty fol­lowed on 39 min­utes. This time Ewen MacKin­non cut the ball back from the right and an­other ‘kick’ al­lowed Andy Reid a chance from the spot and he scored his sec­ond goal of the game with a rasp­ing hit.

Strath­spey came more into the game af­ter the break, but it was In­ver­ness who ex­tended their lead on 57 min­utes when Doniel Ma­cLeod atoned for his ear­lier penalty miss when he net­ted from close in fol­low­ing a goal­mouth scram­ble.

Strath­spey in­tro­duced Don­nie Ross on 62 min­utes and they pulled back a de­served goal on 84 min­utes through for­mer Kin­gussie player Rus­sell Men­zies who hit a long-range ef­fort from the left which went through the keeper’s legs.

The High­land Cap­i­tal side stayed in front though and de­served the win, their third league vic­tory of the sea­son.

Andy Reid was ex­cel­lent at full cen­tre for In­ver­ness, ably as­sisted by wing cen­tres Ewen MacKin­non and Han­nah John­ston.

Bole­sk­ine 2 Lochcar­ron 5

Lochcar­ron beat Bole­sk­ine 5-2 at Smith Park.

Bole­sk­ine’s Peter Tin­ney started a two-match ban fol­low­ing his red card in his team’s last out­ing, a 3-1 de­feat to Strath­spey Ca­manachd three weeks ear­lier.

Sean MacCuish was still out in­jured for Lochcar­ron.

Lach­lan Dean Morrice put Lochcar­ron ahead on seven min­utes and Lance MacCuish made it 2- 0 four min­utes later.

Neil Hope pulled a goal back on 16 min­utes and the vis­i­tors took the 2-1 lead into the break.

Lance MacCuish made it 3-1 on 51 min­utes but Bole­sk­ine fought back again as Neil Hope scored his sec­ond to make it 3-2 on 59 min­utes.

Sam Stubbs on 63 min­utes and a hat-trick goal from Lance MacCuish on 82 min­utes rounded off the 5-2 win.

Bole­sk­ine’s cause wasn’t helped when ref­eree Euan Pear­son showed red cards to Keith Ni­col­son and Craig Pir­rie.

Lewis Ca­manachd 0 Caber­feidh 3

The Caber­feidh re­serves go sec­ond in the divi­sion af­ter they beat Lewis Ca­manachd 3- 0 at Shaw­bost.

Lewis started well, play­ing against a strong wind, but it didn’t take Caber­feidh long to set­tle into the game.

All the goals came in the sec­ond half with Stu­art Krzyzanowski giv­ing Caber­feidh, who found it much eas­ier play­ing into the wind, a 57th minute lead.

James Ma­cLeod scored on 61 and 77 min­utes to com­plete the 3- 0 vic­tory.

Caber­feidh gave a de­but to 13-year- old Fraser MacDon­ald who came on as a sec­ond half sub­sti­tute.

Caber­feidh now trail lead­ers Glen­garry by two points with both sides hav­ing played eight games.

2017 Bul­lough Cup semi-fi­nal draw

The Bul­lough Cup semi-fi­nal­ists are clearer fol­low­ing the week­end shinty ac­tion: Satur­day July 15 Kyles Ath­letic v Stra­chur In­ver­aray / Kil­mory v Lochside Rovers The fi­nal will take place on Satur­day Au­gust 5 with the venue still to be con­firmed.

Strathdearn Cup semi-fi­nal draw

The Strathdearn Cup semi-fi­nal­ists are as fol­lows: Satur­day July 15 Kin­gussie v Skye Ca­manachd New­ton­more v Glen­garry The fi­nal takes place on Satur­day Au­gust 12 with the venue to be con­firmed.

WCA round-up

The ladies fo­cus was to be on the top flight ti­tle race but the wet weather wiped out most of the fix­tures.

Marine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion 1 Lo­vat 12 Aber­dour 2

Lo­vat recorded a morale-boost­ing 12-2 win over Aber­dour in their 1.30pm throw-up at Bal­gate.

Fiona Urquhart scored six times, Laura Gal­lacher hit a hat-trick whilst Leah Zblewski, Jen­nifer Mair and Holli Sned­don got the other home goals with Katy Smith and Me­gan Mac­Far­lane coun­ter­ing for Aber­dour.

Lochaber P Skye Ca­manachd P

The game be­tween league lead­ers Lochaber and reign­ing cham­pi­ons Skye Ca­manachd at Spean Bridge was post­poned be­cause of an un­playable pitch.

Fort Wil­liam P Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll P

The 3.30pm throw-up be­tween Fort Wil­liam and Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll was post­poned as An Aird was un­playable.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

Be­lated Happy Birth­day! Drew Howie, who cel­e­brated his birth­day on Fri­day, can’t hide his joy at the fi­nal whis­tle af­ter Lo­vat’s 1- 0 win over New­ton­more.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

In­ver­aray’s Ali MacDon­ald tries an un­ortho­dox method of shield­ing the ball from In­ver­ness player Craig Ni­chol­son.

Pho­to­graph: Abright­side Photography.

Ac­tion from the Lochaber v Kin­lochshiel premier­ship match which ended in a 1-1 draw.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron.

Han­nah John­ston wins the ball in front of Strath­spey’s Martin Ross.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.