Five in a row as Kyles win Celtic So­ci­ety Cup

The Oban Times - - Sport -

KYLES Ath­letic won the Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup for a club record fifth time in a row fol­low­ing the shinty ac­tion on Satur­day June 24.

Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup Fi­nal

Kyles Ath­letic 3 Oban Ca­manachd 1 Kyles Ath­letic took the hon­ours as they de­feated Oban Ca­manachd 3-1 to lift the Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup in their 4.05pm throw-up at Taynuilt Sports Field.

This was a first fi­nal in charge for Kyles Ath­letic boss James Per­lich and he had keeper John Whyte back fol­low­ing a hand in­jury. Innes MacDon­ald was side­lined with a foot in­jury, whilst Grant Irvine was only fit enough to take up a place on the bench. Dunkie Kerr played with a pro­tec­tive cover on a hand in­jury.

Oban Ca­manachd boss Iain Hay was with­out de­fender Gary McKer­racher and for­ward Daniel MacVicar who were on hol­i­day. Scott MacMil­lan came back into the side fol­low­ing sus­pen­sion and David Laf­ferty’s re­cent re­turn from in­jury earned him a place on the bench.

The first chance of the game fell to Gor­don Whyte but he scooped the ball wide from close in

ith a swirling wind and a greasy sur­face, both teams made an uncer­tain start but it was Kyles who struck an early blow. Ca­manachd failed to clear a pow­er­ful Thomas Whyte shy from the right and Kyles full cen­tre Don­ald Irvine knocked the ball left to Roddy MacDon­ald whose first-time pass found Gor­don Whyte. He con­tin­ued the one-touch pass­ing to Dunkie Kerr who swept the ball into the net from the edge of the ‘D’, beat­ing keeper Gavin Sto­b­bart by his left post, to make it 1- 0 with six min­utes played.

Oban Ca­manachd re­sponded straight away, Mal­colm Clark pick­ing out Lorne Dickie on the right with a free-hit. Dickie got past Rob­bie Ma­cLeod be­fore tak­ing the ball into the ‘D’ but Kyles’ goalie John Whyte was quickly off his line to block Dickie’s path.

A su­perb Roddy MacDon­ald turn and shot saw the ball come back off the base of the post and Marc MacCal­lum threw his body in the way to block Dunkie Kerr’s shot from the re­bound.

Thomas Whyte sent a drive from the right into the side-net­ting with 16 min­utes gone.

A Scott MacMil­lan shy from the right was taken down by Wil­lie Neil­son but Matt Rip­pon couldn’t reach Neil­son’s low cross.

With the rain be­com­ing heav­ier, Kyles were on top. There were shouts for a penalty fol- low­ing a scram­ble in the Oban goal area. Gavin Sto­b­bart came off his line when the ball was knocked into the ‘D’ but with play­ers from both sides on the ground, ref­eree Wood restarted the game with a throw-up af­ter con­sult­ing with goal judge Ross Brown.

Roddy MacDon­ald was suf­fer­ing with a shoul­der in­jury af­ter an ear­lier col­li­sion with team-mate Dunkie Kerr and he needed treat­ment be­fore car­ry­ing on.

The ac­tion con­tin­ued to­wards the Oban Ca­manachd goal and keeper Sto­b­bart saved with his feet from Roddy MacDon­ald and Garry Lord was quickly in to push the ball away be­fore Daniel Cameron cleared the dan­ger.

Oban Ca­manachd were fu­ri­ous when ref­eree Lachie Wood failed to al­low ad­van­tage as Wil­lie Neil­son, although im­peded, broke to­wards goal. To make mat­ters worse for Ca­manachd, the set-piece went badly wrong and Kyles cleared eas­ily.

Dunkie Kerr had a chance when Roddy MacDon­ald’s cross from the left fell nicely for him but he topped the ball and the chance was gone.

The Kyles’ pres­sure con­tin­ued and Mark MacCal­lum did well to block a Gor­don Whyte shot.

A rare Ca­manachd at­tack saw Wil­lie Neil­son’s cross from the left and Kyles Ath­letic full back Cal­lum Miller dived in to block An­drew MacCuish’s shot from the right.

When Daniel Cameron brought down Roddy MacDon­ald, not for the first time in the half, the Oban man earned the game’s first book­ing. Gavin Sto­b­bart came off his line to clear from the re­sul­tant set-piece and de­spite Kyles Ath­letic’s dom­i­nance, they only led 1- 0 at the break.

Iain Hay made the game’s first change as Daniel MacCuish came on for Mark MacCal­lum at the in­ter­val.

Kyles hit Oban Ca­manachd with a sucker-punch within a minute of the re-start. Garry Lord was pe­nalised for a wild swing and Dunkie Kerr ran for­ward onto Gor­don Whyte’s free­hit and steered the ball low into the net from the left of the ‘D’ to make it 2- 0. It was a well-worked goal, ex­e­cuted to per­fec­tion.

Kyles Ath­letic full cen­tre Don­ald Irvine was in­flu­en­tial through­out the game and when he pushed for­ward and won the ball, he lofted an ef­fort wide of goal.

Oban Ca­manachd suf­fered a blow on 50 min­utes when Daniel Cameron had to come off af­ter he was hit point-blank in the eye with the ball. Wil­lie Neil­son dropped back into de­fence and David Laf­ferty came off the bench.

Oban Ca­manachd knew they needed to score next and Ross MacRae did well clear a Matt Rip­pon ball across the face of the goal fol­low­ing Mal­colm Clark’s free-hit.

Oban Ca­manachd claimed for a penalty as goalie John Whyte blocked the ball on the ground but they had to set­tle for a cor­ner from which Scott MacMil­lan sent the ball into ‘D’ and An­drew MacCuish flicked it goal­wards but the Kyles’ goal re­mained in­tact.

Weather con­di­tions were now mak­ing it re­ally dif­fi­cult for both sides and when Ai­dan MacIn­tyre played a free-hit back to Scott MacMil­lan, his shot went wide of John Whyte’s left post.

The goal­mouth ac­tion con­tin­ued and Gavin Sto­b­bart made a fine stop with his ca­man from Thomas Whyte’s de­flected shot.

Sandy MacKen­zie took over from Gor­don Whyte in the Kyles at­tack and made an im­me­di­ate im­pact. Don­ald Irvine and Dunkie Kerr worked the ball down the right flank and Scott MacDon­ald laid the ball off to Sandy MacKen­zie. The sub­sti­tute’s shot was saved with his legs by Gavin Sto­b­bart but Roddy MacDon­ald was quickly in to force the re­bound home to make it 3- 0 with on 65 min­utes on the clock.

Mo­ments later, Daniel Cameron re­turned to the field, join­ing the for­ward line in place of Ai­dan MacIn­tyre.

Oban Ca­manachd didn’t let their heads drop and Mal­colm Clark won pos­ses­sion af­ter Cal­lum Miller had knocked down a ball into the goal area but John Whyte stretched to tip Clark’s shot away with his ca­man.

Roddy MacDon­ald, so in­stru­men­tal to ev­ery­thing of­fen­sive from Kyles, had been in the wars and he needed treat­ment af­ter a tus­sle with Scott MacMil­lan but was able to carry on.

Oban Ca­manachd made a dou­ble switch as 16-year- old Lewis Buchanan re­placed An­drew MacCuish and Ai­dan MacIn­tyre came back on for Matt Rip­pon with 14 min­utes re­main­ing.

Daniel Cameron gave Oban Ca­manachd some hope when he pulled a goal back with 10 min­utes re­main­ing. The Kyles de­fence failed to deal with a high Scott MacMil­lan ball into the goal area and Daniel Cameron showed great com­po­sure to run in to touch the ball past the keeper to make it 3-1.

Oban Ca­manachd were cre­at­ing chances and Ai­dan MacIn­tyre shot nar­rowly wide of the keeper’s left post af­ter Mal­colm Clark had chipped the ball for­ward and, mo­ments later, a Lewis Buchanan shot was saved with his feet by John Whyte as the late flurry con­tin­ued.

Mean­time Kyles had sub­sti­tuted Bran­don Wil­son for Scott MacDon­ald.

Daniel Cameron al­most got on the end of an Ai­dan MacIn­tyre ball from the left as Ca­manachd looked to set up a grand­stand fin­ish.

Gavin Sto­b­bart bat­ted away a high ball into the ‘D’ be­fore Thomas Whyte blazed over from close in.

An­drew MacCuish put an in­jury time ef­fort wide with Cal­lum Miller hav­ing to come off with a head cut in the lead up to what was the game’s last chance.

BBC Alba sum­mariser Ste­wart MacKen­zie, a former Oban Times edi­tor, se­lected Dunkie Kerr as man of the match for, ‘scor­ing the goals that mat­tered at the times that mat­tered’. Kerr re­ceived the award, which is in mem­ory of shinty stal­wart Don­ald J MacNiven, from Don­nie’s widow Mary MacNiven.

Match ref­eree Lachie Wood was the re­cip­i­ent of the Jack Asher Memo­rial medal.

How­ever, the main prize was col­lected by Kyles Ath­letic cap­tain Gor­don Whyte who was pre­sented with the Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety Cup by spon­sor Gre­gor Cameron and the tro­phy goes back to Tighnabru­aich for a club record fifth suc­ces­sive time, Kyles hav­ing won it four times be­tween 1920 and 1923.

With a Ma­rine Har­vest Ca­manachd Cup tie against New­ton­more on the hori­zon, league lead­ers Kyles Ath­letic have much to play for.

Oban Ca­manachd played well in patches and there’s more to come from them start­ing with this week­end’s league trip to Spean Bridge to play Lochaber.

Artemis Ma­caulay Cup - quar­ter fi­nals

Lochaber 0 Lo­vat 3 Lo­vat are through to the Artemis Ma­caulay Cup semi-fi­nals af­ter they beat Lochaber 3- 0 at Spean Bridge.

The Spean pitch was in ex­cel­lent con­di­tion for this tie although in­ter­mit­tent heavy show­ers meant sup­port­ers had to run for cover on more than one oc­ca­sion.

Lochaber were with­out Shaun Ni­col­son, Neil MacDon­ald, James MacRae and Ryan John­stone although John Sweeney and Pat Toal re­turned to take places on the bench. Find­lay MacDon­ald was also miss­ing.

Scott MacKen­zie was back for Lo­vat but Craig Main­land and Lorne MacKay were un­avail­able. Bai­ley MacKay made his come­back from a bro­ken col­lar-bone, suf­fered against Oban Ca­manachd in April, and he took a place on the bench.

Lochaber started with a strong wind in their favour and pushed Lo­vat back. The vis­it­ing de­fence, in which Daniel Grieve was ex­cel­lent, held firm though.

Lo­vat man­aged three shots on tar­get – through Calum Ma­cAulay twice and Lewis Tawse – be­fore Stu­art Cal­li­son drew a smart save from Stu­art MacDon­ald with his feet with around half an hour played.

The vis­i­tors took the lead on 37 min­utes. Lochaber failed to clear a Calum Ma­cAulay free­hit and Scott MacKen­zie drove the ball for­ward where it fell for Danny Kelly who touched the ball across the goal from the left . and Greg Mathe­son swept it Winto the net to make it 1- 0.

Lochaber in­tro­duced Lach­lan Camp­bell and Con­nor Sweeney for Bren­nan MacDon­ald and Ben De­laney late in the first half with ref­eree John An­gus Gil­lies play­ing stop­page time af­ter Greg Mathe­son had been caught on the top of the head from Dun­can MacKin­non’s swing.

From the re-start, Lochaber were against the wind but they would go on to have their best spell in the game.

How­ever it was Lo­vat who ex­tended their lead when Lewis Tawse made it 2- 0 on 57 min­utes. Drew Howie cleared the ball for­ward from deep in­side his own half and when Lochaber failed to clear their lines, Greg Mathe­son’s shot was saved by with his chest by Lochaber keeper Cal­lum MacDon­ald. The ball re­bounded to the Lo­vat right where Lewis Tawse hit a shot from a tight an­gle and the ball went into the net off the un­lucky Lochaber keeper.

Lo­vat sealed the win with 15 min­utes re­main­ing af­ter Danny Kelly sent the ball long from in­side his own half. Greg Mathe­son ran away from his marker and his sec­ond swing sent the ball low into the net from the left of the ‘D’ to make it 3- 0.

Lochaber had chances in the game but good goal­keep­ing from Stu­art MacDon­ald and waste­ful fin­ish­ing cost them dear.

Lachie Camp­bell’s in­tro­duc­tion made a dif­fer­ence for Lochaber and he went close on more than one oc­ca­sion.

Lo­vat’s deadly fin­ish­ing, par­tic­u­larly from Greg Mathe­son, made the dif­fer­ence with Daniel Grieve and Danny Kelly their top per­form­ers. New­ton­more 3 Fort Wil­liam 2 New­ton­more will face Lo­vat in the Artemis Ma­caulay Cup semi-fi­nals af­ter they beat Fort Wil­liam 3-2 at The Ei­lan.

Glen MacK­in­tosh got New­ton­more off to a good start with goals on 10 and 23 min­utes but Fort Wil­liam showed they were up for the fight when Alexan­der MacMil­lan pulled a goal back a cou­ple of min­utes later.

That’s the way it stayed un­til five min­utes from time when Steven MacDon­ald made it 3-1.

Lachie Shaw cut the deficit when he scored a minute from time and whilst New­ton­more go through, there’s surely more to come from this young Fort Wil­liam side.

Bal­liemore Cup - semi fi­nal

Beauly 3 Caber­feidh 4 Caber­feidh fought off a de­ter­mined Beauly side to reach the Bal­liemore Cup Fi­nal with a 4-3 vic­tory in their noon throw-up at Brae­view Park.

It looked good for Caber­feidh, who started with the wind ad­van­tage, when Jamie MacLen­nan’s 25-yard drive on two min­utes and Colin MacLen­nan’s low shot on nine min­utes had them 2- 0 ahead.

Jack MacDon­ald pulled a goal back from close range for the home side on 21 min­utes and it stayed that way un­til the break.

Caber­feidh made the bet­ter start to the sec­ond half and Kevin Bartlett re­stored their two-goal cush­ion with a great strike from dis­tance on 74 min­utes.

Marc MacLach­lan, mak­ing his first top team ap­pear­ance of the sea­son, made it 3-2 with a turn and shot with 10 min­utes re­main­ing.

Caber­feidh’s Ryan MacKay, play­ing against his former club, was sent off by ref­eree John Wood for a sec­ond book­ing.

Beauly went all out for a lev­eller but it was Caber­feidh who coun­tered and Craig Mor­ri­son made it 4-2 from a tight an­gle with a cou­ple of min­utes re­main­ing.

Marc MacLach­lan got his sec­ond on the stroke of full time but Caber­feidh progress with a 4-3 win.

Caber­feidh now await the out­come of the sec­ond semi-fi­nal be­tween In­ver­aray and Fort Wil­liam which takes place this Satur­day at Taynuilt.

Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup – quar­ter fi­nal

Fort Wil­liam 2 Kin­gussie 3 The Kin­gussie colts reached the Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup semi-fi­nals when they beat the Fort Wil­liam colts 3-2 in their 1pm throw-up at An Aird.

Goals from Fort Wil­liam’s Ewan Camp­bell and Mark Fraser and Kin­gussie’s Kevin Thain meant the home side led 2-1 at the break.

Kevin Thain scored twice more in the sec­ond half to com­plete his hat-trick and give Kin­gussie a 3-2 win.

Fort Wil­liam’s Ewan Camp­bell was sent off by ref­eree Ron­nie Camp­bell.

The Kin­gussie sec­onds will play their New­ton­more counter-parts in the semi-fi­nals at The Dell this Satur­day.

Bul­lough Cup – quar­ter fi­nal

In­ver­aray 6 Kil­mory 1 The In­ver­aray sec­onds were too strong for the Kil­mory sec­onds win­ning 6-1 in their noon throwup at The Win­ter­ton.

It was good to see both teams show faith in their young play­ers. In­ver­aray were along usual lines whilst Kil­mory fielded a mix­ture of youth and ex­pe­ri­ence with the ev­er­green Calum McKin­ven in de­fence and 12-year- old An­drew In­nis up front.

In­ver­aray’s Andy Ste­wart got the opener on eight min-

utes, only for Kil­mory’s John MacMil­lan to level a cou­ple of min­utes later.

David MacPher­son re­stored In­ver­aray’s lead on 15 min­utes and David Robert­son added two more with strikes on 21 and 44 min­utes to make it 4-1 at the break.

David Robert­son net­ted for a third time three min­utes into the sec­ond half. The goal was the vet­eran’s first hat-trick in com­pet­i­tive shinty. There was an el­e­ment of good for­tune in­volved as Robert­son stretched out a ca­man to de­flect a Scott MacIn­tyre shot that was head­ing well wide past Kil­mory keeper Colin Gil­mour and into the net.

Andy Ste­wart got his sec­ond goal of the game on 65 min­utes to round off the 6-1 win.

The In­ver­aray colts will now play Lochside Rovers in next month’s Bul­lough Cup semi-fi­nals.

Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship

Kin­gussie 1 Kin­lochshiel 2 It was sec­ond plays third as Kin­lochshiel edged out Kin­gussie 2-1 at The Dell.

Kin­gussie’s James Fal­coner was free from in­jury but played 90 min­utes for the sec­ond team in their Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup tie against Fort Wil­liam. Savio Genini was also miss­ing.

Kin­lochshiel had Conor Cor­mack and John MacRae free of sus­pen­sion but Colin MacDiarmid started a five-match ban fol­low­ing his red card against Lochaber the pre­vi­ous week­end. Don­ald Nixon, Dun­can ‘ DA’ Macrae and Jon­nie MacAskill made up a re-jigged mid­field, re­leas­ing Fin­lay MacRae to play up front.

Lee Bain opened the scor­ing on 28 min­utes. Kin­lochshiel couldn’t clear a Kin­gussie shy from the right and Bain thumped the ball home from 15 yards out on the Kin­gussie right.

Fin­lay MacRae equalised on 65 min­utes. The goal was some­thing spe­cial as he flicked and then volleyed the ball home at the back post, giv­ing keeper Craig Daw­son no chance.

Kin­gussie pulled Lee Bain back into de­fence for the fi­nal 20 min­utes, re­plac­ing Alexan­der Michie who had a fine game for the hosts, as did wing cen­tre Rory Mac­Gre­gor.

The match could have gone ei­ther way and the win­ner came with three min­utes re­main­ing. Don­ald Nixon sent a free-hit into the goal area and when Kin­gussie failed to clear Fraser MacVicar thumped the ball home from the left of the ‘D’.

Both keep­ers made good saves. Craig Daw­son was al­ways tidy when clear­ing his lines with Scott Kennedy in the Kin­lochshiel goal mak­ing some qual­ity stops.

Kin­lochshiel did just enough to edge it and they now leap-frog Kin­gussie into sec­ond place in the di­vi­sion. Glenurquhart 2 Kil­mallie 3 Kil­mallie col­lected two price­less points by beat­ing Glenurquhart 3-2 in their 3pm throw-up at Blair­beg.

Glenurquhart’s John Barr was free of a one-match ban, how­ever he was un­avail­able for this one as were keeper Stu­art MacK­in­tosh, An­drew Cor­ri­gan, Neale Reid, James Hur­wood and Con­nor Go­labek. Glenurquhart U17 play­ers Fin­lay Ralston, Oliver Black and Fin­lay Robert­son were in­cluded in the squad. Cal­lum Smith was back from in­jury.

Kil­mallie were with­out Stephen McAlister who served the sec­ond game of a two-match sus­pen­sion. Michael Rodger and Lewis Bir­rell were also un­avail­able. Daniel Ste­wart was given a first se­nior call-up fol­low­ing his switch from Fort Wil­liam and John Ste­wart played the whole game at full for­ward.

Kil­mallie took the lead af­ter two min­utes fol­low­ing a bizarre own goal off home stand-in keeper Garry MacK­in­tosh who ini­tially made a save with his hand but as he tried to swipe away the drop­ping ball, he in­ad­ver­tently cupped it into the net.

Daniel Ste­wart marked his de­but with a goal on 12 min­utes with a shot across the keeper from a tight an­gle and it re­mained 2- 0 at the break.

In­deed it stayed that way un­til 15 min­utes from time when there were three goals in quick suc­ces­sion.

Glenurquhart moved Lachie Smith up front with James MacPher­son go­ing to full back in a bid to change their for­tunes.

With Martin Ste­wart dom­i­nant at full cen­tre, Kil­mallie’s Daniel Ste­wart got his sec­ond to make it 3- 0 on 75 min­utes with a strike that beat the keeper close to his post.

How­ever Michael Fraser’s goal fol­low­ing a goal­mouth scram­ble on 77 min­utes and a blis­ter­ing Lachie Smith shot into the top cor­ner of the net a minute later made for a tense fin­ish.

Kil­mallie are now on five points, level with bot­tom side Lochaber and Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll who are a place above.

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion

Oban Celtic 2 Strath­glass 2 Strath­glass twice came from be­hind to draw 2-2 with Oban Celtic in their 3pm throw-up at Gana­van.

Oban Celtic man­ager Kenny Wother­spoon had Rory Bruce and Robert Alexan­der back, with the lat­ter start­ing on the bench. Ally McKer­racher served the fi­nal game of his three­match ban, whilst Con­nor Howe was still miss­ing as was David MacInnes.

Strath­glass man­ager David Bal­harry was with­out the in­flu­en­tial Michael Stokes as well as Ross Bal­harry. The vis­i­tors trav­elled with only 13 play­ers, Lawrence Jones be­ing their only sub­sti­tute.

Oban Celtic were two points be­hind Strath­glass go­ing into the game but with two games in hand.

Daniel Madej broke the dead­lock when he went on a mazy run on 24 min­utes be­fore slipping the ball past keeper Ally MacA­dams to make it 1- 0.

Oban Celtic had a great chance to in­crease their lead when ref­eree Wil­lie MacDon­ald awarded them a penalty but Ful­ton Ron­ald failed to con­vert from the spot.

Scott Dou­glas drew Strath­glass level on 41 min­utes but an­other good run and fin­ish from Daniel Madej put Celtic back in front on 53 min­utes.

Oban Celtic had chances to put the match out of the Strath’s reach but they didn’t take them and they were made to pay when Scott Dou­glass lev­elled for the sec­ond time in the con­test, mak­ing it 2-2 with three min­utes re­main­ing.

Oban Celtic will con­sider this a point lost and they’ll look for a much im­proved per­for­mance when they travel to play Beauly in the league this Satur­day.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 1

Kin­lochshiel 0 New­ton­more 4 The New­ton­more sec­onds ex­tended their lead at the top of the ta­ble af­ter they beat the Kin­lochshiel sec­onds 4- 0 at Kirk­ton.

Two goals in two min­utes from Craig Ma­cLeod on 27 min­utes and Chris Sel­lar a minute later made it 2- 0 at the break.

Chris Sel­lar got his sec­ond on 62 min­utes with a great strike from the left and Calum Ste­wart made it 4- 0 on 78 min­utes.

The clos­est Kin­lochshiel came was a Gra­ham Kennedy ef­fort which hit the post but it took some smart saves from home keeper Ray­mond Gil­lies to pre­vent New­ton­more win­ning by a big­ger mar­gin.

New­ton­more are now four points ahead of Aberdeen Univer­sity, but they have played two games more.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1

Glenorchy 3 Bute 2 Glenorchy recorded their first league vic­tory of the sea­son with a hard-fought 3-2 win over Bute in their 1.30pm throw-up at Mart Park.

The win was all the more im­pres­sive given Glenorchy were only able to field 11 play­ers so played the whole game a man short.

Glenorchy’s Dun­can Smith was on a two-match sus­pen­sion for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old.

Glenorchy took the lead through Gra­ham Mor­rice on 20 min­utes when he knocked home a re­bound off the keeper fol­low­ing Conor Sar­tain’s ini­tial shot.

Gra­ham Mor­rice got his sec­ond to make it 2- 0 on 31 min­utes with a long-range ef­fort that de­ceived the keeper.

An­drew McLaugh­lan halved the deficit four min­utes later with a shot from dis­tance that drifted into the net and it stayed 2-1 un­til the break.

Bute were play­ing against a strong wind in the sec­ond half and Franco Devlin re­stored par­ity a minute af­ter the restart, forc­ing home a re­bound.

It was to be Glenorchy’s day though as Kieran MacKay net­ted the win­ner with a great strike from 25 yards out seven min­utes from time.

Bute, who were pre­vi­ously un­beaten in the di­vi­sion, pushed for a late lev­eller and it took an out­stand­ing save at the death, high above his head, by Glenorchy goalie An­drew Smith to se­cure both points.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2

Lewis Ca­manachd 0 Glen­garry 10 Ta­ble top­pers Glen­garry main­tained their 100 per cent start to the sea­son, scor­ing ten times with­out re­ply against Lewis Ca­manachd at Shaw­bost.

Glen­garry made a great start to the game as Daniel MacLen­nan on two min­utes and Nick Dal­gety on five min­utes gave them an early two-goal cush­ion.

Daniel MacLen­nan got his sec­ond and Glen­garry’s third fol­low­ing a cor­ner on 21 min­utes.

Glen­garry ran away with the game in the sec­ond half. Nick Dal­gety found space to make it 4- 0 a cou­ple of min­utes af­ter the restart whilst Daniel MacLen­nan added a fifth to com­plete his hat-trick a minute later.

Ray­mond Robert­son scored on 62 min­utes be­fore Nick Dal­gety net­ted on 67 and 70 and An­drew Gilchrist made it 9- 0 a minute later.

Nick Dal­gety grabbed his fifth goal of the af­ter­noon on 72 min­utes to make it 10- 0.

Glen­garry are now four points ahead of the Caber­feidh sec­onds, who they meet in their next game at Cas­tle Leod on Satur­day July 8, although they have played a game more, whilst Lewis re­main bot­tom of the di­vi­sion. Kil­mallie 5 Lochcar­ron 3 Kil­mallie beat Lochcar­ron 5-3 in a match which swung from end to end at Canal Parks.

Kil­mallie ini­tially led 2- 0 be­fore Lochcar­ron went 3-2 in front.

Dean Wil­liamson grabbed a Kil­mallie hat-trick with Ross MacKen­zie scor­ing twice.

A Liam Arnott brace and a David MacCuish goal counted for Lochcar­ron. Strath­glass 3 In­ver­ness 1 The Strath­glass re­serves climb to eighth in the ta­ble af­ter they beat the In­ver­ness re­serves 3-1 at Can­nich.

Eoghan Ste­wart gave Strath­glass the lead on 18 min­utes with a shot from just out­side the cen­tre cir­cle which swerved into the net.

It was the only goal of the first half.

Andy Reid drew In­ver­ness level a cou­ple of min­utes af­ter the restart, but Ciaran Mel­ons put the home side back in front on 53 min­utes.

The out­come re­mained in the bal­ance un­til 82 min­utes when Sam Cooper scored for the sec­ond suc­ces­sive Satur­day to make it 3-1, giv­ing Strath­glass their third league win of the sea­son.

WCA round-up

The ladies fo­cus was on the Ma­rine Har­vest Va­lerie Fraser Ca­manachd Cup and Ma­rine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup semi-fi­nals on Sun­day June 25.

Ma­rine Har­vest Va­lerie Fraser Ca­manachd Cup

Lo­vat 1 Skye Ca­manachd 23 Skye Ca­manachd reached the Ma­rine Har­vest Va­lerie Fraser Ca­manachd Cup Fi­nal with a crush­ing 23-1 win over Lo­vat in their semi-fi­nal at Craigard.

Lo­vat had trou­ble rais­ing a team so the match was played at eight-a- side.

Skye’s Sarah Cor­ri­gall and Lorna MacRae both scored six times; Jenna Beaton net­ted five times; Caitlin Ma­cLean bagged a hat-trick whilst Rhi­anna Kirk, He­len La­mond and Leah Ma­cLeod got the oth­ers.

Fiona Urquhart net­ted a con­so­la­tion goal for Lo­vat. Lochaber 13 Aber­dour 0 Hold­ers Lochaber de­feated Aber­dour 13- 0 at The Ei­lan to set up a re­peat of last year’s Ma­rine Har­vest Va­lerie Fraser Ca­manachd Cup Fi­nal against Skye Ca­manachd.

Stephanie Walsh gave Lochaber the lead on three min­utes and Kirsty De­laney went on to score four more times on 7, 19, 27 and 28 min­utes to make it 5- 0 at the in­ter­val.

Ali­son MacVicar on 45 and an­other from De­laney on 52 min­utes made it 7- 0. Ali­son MacVicar took her tally to four goals with strikes on 56, 67 and 70 min­utes be­fore Claire De­laney hit the tar­get a cou­ple of min­utes later.

Kirsty De­laney scored her sixth goal of the af­ter­noon on 74 min­utes and Stephanie Walsh, who opened the scor­ing, fin­ished it a cou­ple of min­utes af­ter to make it 13- 0.

The Ma­rine Har­vest Va­lerie Fraser Ca­manachd Cup Fi­nal takes place at An Aird on Satur­day Septem­ber 2.

Ma­rine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup

Cowal & Bute 0 Glen­garry 5 Glen­garry were 5- 0 win­ners against Cowal & Bute in their Ma­rine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup semi-fi­nals at Ju­bilee Park.

Elaine Cameron grabbed a Glen­garry hat-trick and Mar­garet Jane Mal­colm net­ted twice. Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 3 Ard­na­mur­chan 4 Ard­na­mur­chan will play Glen­garry in the Ma­rine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup Fi­nal af­ter they beat the Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll sec­ond team 4-3 at The Win­ter­ton

Ard­na­mur­chan led 2-1 at the break.

Amy Har­ris, Katie Mullen and So­phie Tin­ney scored for GMA but Rachel Ford’s dou­ble and goals from Kate Bradley and Annie MacDon­ald gave Ard­na­mur­chan vic­tory.

The Ma­rine Har­vest Chal­lenge Cup Fi­nal takes place at An Aird on Satur­day Septem­ber 2.

Don­nie Ma­cLean Sixes

The 2017 Don­nie Ma­cLean Sixes take place at Spean Bridge on Sun­day July 9.

The tour­na­ment is free to en­ter and is open to all U14 sides.

The tour­na­ment starts at noon and hot food, tea and cof­fee will be avail­able on the day at the Lochaber club’s kitchen

This event is a great day for all young shinty play­ers and host club Lochaber Ca­manachd look for­ward to an­other suc­cess­ful tour­na­ment.

For more in­for­ma­tion and to en­ter a team con­tact Aeleen Camp­bell at aeleen­re­camp­bell@hot­ or 07760 155313.

Wendy Cham­ber­lain joins Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion board

THE CA­MANACHD As­so­ci­a­tion has con­firmed Wendy Cham­ber­lain has been co- opted to the board of the as­so­ci­a­tion fol­low­ing a meet­ing with pres­i­dent Jim Barr, vice pres­i­dent Keith Loades and chief ex­ec­u­tive of­fi­cer Derek Keir.

The co- op­tion takes im­me­di­ate ef­fect and Wendy Cham­ber­lain will ini­tially fo­cus her ef­forts on sup­port­ing the de­vel­op­ment of the new strate­gic plan for shinty us­ing her ex­pe­ri­ence and pas­sion for equal­ity, di­ver­sity and in­clu­sion.

As well as bring­ing shinty her­itage - she is the grand- daugh­ter of former chief­tain Celly Paterson and daugh­ter of Kyles Ath­letic and Scot­land player Billy Paterson – Wendy also brings a mod­ern per­spec­tive through her in­volve­ment in Aber­dour’s suc­cess­ful set-up across pri­mary, ju­nior and se­nior shinty, led by head coach and cur­rent Women’s Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion pres­i­dent Lisa MacColl.

A grad­u­ate of the Univer­sity of Ed­in­burgh, Wendy was a po­lice of­fi­cer for 12 years and has ex­pe­ri­ence in op­er­a­tional and HR roles, in­clud­ing a pe­riod sec­onded to the As­so­ci­a­tion of Chief Po­lice Of­fi­cers in Scot­land.

She has also worked as a lec­turer in fur­ther ed­u­ca­tion and was train­ing man­ager at the Scot­tish Re­set­tle­ment Cen­tre, sup­port­ing mil­i­tary ser­vice leavers into em­ploy­ment.

She is cur­rently a ca­pa­bil­ity man­ager for Di­a­geo. She is a mem­ber of the Char­tered Man­age­ment In­sti­tute and an as­so­ciate mem­ber of the Char­tered In­sti­tute of Per­son­nel and De­vel­op­ment.

Wendy will be a full mem­ber of the board un­til the an­nual gen­eral meet­ing at the end of Novem­ber 2017, at which time she will stand for elec­tion for a three-year term.

Wendy is the first vot­ing fe­male Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion di­rec­tor and is sure to be a role model for many more to fol­low.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Paterson.

Kyles Ath­letic cel­e­brate af­ter win­ning the Gre­gor Cameron Celtic So­ci­ety Cup.

Pho­to­graph: Stephen Law­son.

Roddy MacDon­ald, num­ber 10, scores the third goal for Kyles.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Paterson.

Oban Ca­manachd’s Garry Lord get his block in to stop an ef­fort from Kyles Ath­letic’s Dunky Kerr.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Paterson.

Kyles Ath­letic cap­tain Gor­don Whyte with the Celtic So­ci­ety Cup.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron

Kil­mallie’s Steven Ste­wart does some keepy-uppy with Glenurquhart’s Oliver Black in close at­ten­dance dur­ing their Ma­rine har­vest Pre­mier­ship match at Drum­nadro­chit.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron.

Kin­gussie won the Strathdearn Sixes at Bught Park, In­ver­ness, last Thurs­day.

Pho­to­graph: Don­ald Cameron.

Caber­feidh’s Jamie MacK­in­tosh is con­grat­u­lated by his team mates af­ter scor­ing af­ter only two min­utes in the Bal­l­liemore Cup semi-fi­nal against Beauly. Caber­feidh won a thrilling en­counter 4-3.

Wendy Cham­ber­lain.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.