Lochaber High School win MacPher­son Cup

The Oban Times - - Sport -

HOSTED at the Dell, this year’s MacPher­son Cup was con­tested by Kin­gussie, Dunoon and Lochaber.

Lochaber and Kin­gussie opened the tour­na­ment with a hard-fought en­counter. Lewis Clark gave Lochaber an early lead when he drib­bled through the home de­fence be­fore fin­ish­ing in the cor­ner. Clark dou­bled the lead with a low driven shot to make it 2- 0 be­fore Lachie Shaw ran on to a fine through ball to make it 3- 0 at half time.

The sec­ond half was an even con­test, but Clark com­pleted his hat-trick to com­plete the scor­ing and give Lochaber a 4- 0 win.

In the sec­ond match, Dunoon, mak­ing their first ap­pear­ance for sev­eral years, took on Kin­gussie.

In an evenly con­tested match, there was noth­ing be­tween the teams un­til Dunoon struck mid-way through the first half, with an ex­cel­lent long range shot to take a 1- 0 lead, which they held un­til half time.

Kin­gussie mounted a se­ries of at­tacks in the sec­ond half to try to get back into the match but the Dunoon de­fence, and some out­stand­ing goal­keep­ing, kept them out while the Dunoon at­tack looked ca­pa­ble of adding to their lead. In the end, it fin­ished 1- 0 to Dunoon who then faced Lochaber in the fi­nal.

In a fran­tic open­ing, Dunoon spurned a good chance to take an early lead be­fore Ryan An­drews in the Lochaber goal pro­duced a fine save to keep his team level.

Lochaber be­gan to grow in con­fi­dence as Ryan Boyle, Lachie Shaw and Jamie Dun­can took con­trol of the mid­field and play switched to the Dunoon end. It was Dun­can who opened Lochaber’s ac­count by fir­ing a low drive un­der the goal­keeper.

This was closely fol­lowed by Cameron Whyte us­ing his boxer’s re­flexes to re­act quick­est to a loose ball to put Lochaber 2- 0 ahead.

Lochaber High were now play­ing with con­fi­dence, play­ing a strong pass­ing game and it was no sur­prise when Lachie Shaw fin­ished a fine run with a low shot just in­side the post to make it 3- 0.

As half time ap­proached, Vic­tor Smith met a long ball on the vol­ley to put Lochaber 4- 0 and on course to re­gain the tro­phy. De­spite the score, Dunoon kept on play­ing un­til the fi­nal whis­tle with Johnny Forster, Cam Clark and Al­is­tair MacRae hav­ing to be at their best to keep a clean sheet and en­sure vic­tory.

At the end of the match, Ron­ald Ross thanked the ref­eree Alexan­der Michie for his ex­cel­lent role in en­sur­ing the smooth run­ning of the tour­na­ment.

Ref­eree Michie pre­sented the MacPher­son Cup to Lochaber cap­tain Ryan Boyle.

Lochaber High ded­i­cated their win to the mem­ory of 2002 win­ning cap­tain Dun­can Rodger and to Don­ald La­mont who played in the Banavie School team which won the cup in 1960.

F26 McPher­son

Lochaber High School, win­ners of the MacPher­son Cup.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.