Fort Wil­liam win Bal­liemore Cup after penalty shoot-out drama

Sum­mer weather causes a num­ber of post­pone­ments

The Oban Times - - Sport -

Bal­liemore Cup Fi­nal Caber­feidh 4 Fort Wil­liam 4

(After ex­tra-time – Fort Wil­liam won 5- 4 on penal­ties) Fort Wil­liam won the Bal­liemore Cup fol­low­ing a penalty shoot- out win over Caber­feidh after their thrilling Bal­liemore Cup Fi­nal at Blair­beg ended 4- 4 after ex­tra-time.

There was dis­ap­point­ment for Caber­feidh de­fender Ryan MacKay who missed out as he served the fi­nal match of a three-game ban. De­fender Ryan Sy­monds was on hol­i­day.

Fort Wil­liam suf­fered a blow as Bryan Simp­son was side­lined after pick­ing up a knock in the league win over Beauly the pre­vi­ous week­end. Alexan­der MacMil­lan re­mained out with a hand in­jury.

Caber­feidh went into the fi­nal as five-time Bal­liemore Cup win­ners - a record they share with Bute - whilst Fort Wil­liam were bid­ding to win the tro­phy for the first time. Although hav­ing spent most re­cent years in the top flight, they rarely played in the tour­na­ment.

It was first blood to Fort Wil­liam when Jack Fraser scored a great goal after five min­utes. Sea­mus Gall played the ball in from the right and Fraser did well to win pos­ses­sion and con­trol the ball as he ran across the penalty spot and drifted the ball from the left over de­fender Blair Mor­ri­son be­fore it dropped into the net to make it 1- 0.

Caber­feidh had the ball in the net on 17 min­utes when Kevin Bartlett did well to keep the ball in play and his cut-back found Craig Mor­ri­son who ran in to score. How­ever, goal judge Russell Ross flagged as Martin Mac­Don­ald was in­side the ‘D’ be­fore the ball so the ef­fort was ruled off­side.

There was plenty of en­deav­our from both sets of play­ers dur­ing the first half but the game never re­ally hit the heights. That all changed when ref­eree Andy Ma­cLean got what was to prove to be a thrilling sec­ond half un­der way.

Craig Mor­ri­son equalised on 50 min­utes when he had time to con­trol a low cross from the right be­fore mov­ing the ball onto his left side and beat­ing keeper Paul MacKay with a swerv­ing shot to make it 1-1.

Caber­feidh took the lead for the first time in the fi­nal on 54 min­utes and it was cap­tain Craig Mor­ri­son again who made the dif­fer­ence. Caber­feidh once more worked the ball out onto their right flank and when Kevin Bartlett drove the ball into the dan­ger-area, Mor­ri­son stopped the ball and struck it into the net to make it 2-1.

The fi­nal was now flow­ing from end-to- end and Jack Fraser got his sec­ond on 64 min­utes to make it 2-2. Caber­feidh had a chance to clear the dan­ger but, when they didn’t, Jack Fraser was quickly in to win the ball and slipped it past the on-rush­ing Caber­feidh keeper Ewan Pilcher.

Kevin Bartlett fin­ished off a Caber­feidh move on 75 min­utes. How­ever, as the play­ers cel­e­brated, ref­eree Andy Ma­cLean brought play back as goal judge Billy MacLeod had flagged for a Fort Wil­liam ‘kick’ in­side the ‘D’ so the ref­eree pointed to the penalty spot. Kevin Bartlett kept his nerve to send his spothit low into the net, beat­ing the keeper on his left side, to put Caber­feidh 3-2 in front.

Fort Wil­liam fought back though and Lewis Clark made it 3-3 on 82 min­utes. A Jack Fraser free-hit asked ques­tions of the Caber­feidh de­fence and Gra­ham Camp­bell’s shot was de­flected into the path of Lewis Clark on the Fort left. Shep­herd’s ini­tial ef­fort was blocked but he calmly steered the re­bound low into the net to the de­light of the Fort Wil­liam sup­port.

With no fur­ther scor­ing, ref­eree Andy Ma­cLean, who gave a great dis­play through­out, took the tie into ex­tra-time.

Fort Wil­liam took the lead for the sec­ond time in the match on 93 min­utes. Calum Shep­herd took a bril­liant touch to take a ball for­ward onto his right side be­fore steady­ing him­self and send­ing a glo­ri­ous shot past the keeper to make it 4-3.

With five min­utes of ex­tra-time re­main­ing, Craig Mor­ri­son made it 4- 4. Mor­ri­son’s hat-trick goal came fol­low­ing a Caber­feidh shy on the left and, when Kevin Bartlett found Craig Mor­ri­son, he showed good con­trol be­fore blast­ing the ball past the keeper to level the con­test once more.

The full-time whis­tle sig­nalled a penalty shoot- out and the drama con­tin­ued.

Caber­feidh’s hat-trick hero Craig Mor­ri­son stepped up first and con­fi­dently fired the ball home.

Jack Fraser took Fort Wil­liam’s first penalty and smashed the ball into the net to make it 1-1.

Kevin Bartlett and Ar­ran MacPhee both fin­ished well to make it 2-2.

The defin­ing mo­ment came next when Ally MacLen­nan’s spot-hit came off Paul MacKay’s right post and re­bounded to safety.

As Bobby MacMil­lan strode for­ward, he knew he could give his side a vi­tal ad­van­tage and he sent the ball high into the net to make it 3-2 in Fort Wil­liam’s favour.

The stan­dard of penal­ties was top notch and Caber­feidh’s Blair Mor­ri­son and Fort Wil­liam’s Sean Cruick­shank both con­verted to make it 4-3.

Caber­feidh’s Gavin Mclach­lan had to score - and he did - so Fort Wil­liam full back Mark Grant had the chance to take the tro­phy to An Aird. Grant barely broke stride as he marched for­ward, placed the ball on the spot and thumped it into the roof of the net to win the shoot- out by five goals to four.

There were a num­ber of good per­for­mances, no­tably Fort Wil­liam Mark Grant, who played very well against Kevin Bartlett, and his team mates Sean Cruick­shank and Calum Shep­herd.

Blair Mor­ri­son, a tower of strength at buck­shee back, and three-goal Craig Mor­ri­son were best for Caber­feidh.

Fort Wil­liam did enough to de­serve the win and the tro­phy win is an im­por­tant achieve­ment as Vic­tor Smith and Adam Robert­son look to build a squad to take Fort Wil­liam back into shinty’s top flight.

Fort Wil­liam cap­tain James Tangney stepped for­ward to be pre­sented with the Bal­liemore Cup by Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion pres­i­dent- elect Keith Loades.

Caber­feidh still have plenty to play for this sea­son and the sides meet again this Satur­day, this time in the Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion at Cas­tle Leod.

Strathdearn Cup - semi fi­nals Skye Ca­manachd 2 Kin­gussie 4

A strong first half per­for­mance helped the Kin­gussie colts reach the Strathdearn Cup Fi­nal as they beat the Skye Ca­manachd colts 4-2 at Pairc nan Laoch, Portree.

Skye suf­fered a blow on the morn­ing of the game when ex­pe­ri­enced de­fender Al­lan MacLeod was forced to call off as he was un­well. Con­nor Gilpin dropped back into de­fence, with Shockie MacLen­nan, back after in­jury, re­plac­ing him in the for­ward line.

Kin­gussie had John Gib­son, Rory Fraser and Kevin Thain pro­vid­ing the ex­pe­ri­ence in what was an other­wise youth­ful side.

Con­di­tions were dif­fi­cult in the lead-up to the game with a swirling wind and heavy rain show­ers. The pitch was playable though and ref­eree Iain Kennedy had no hes­i­ta­tion in call­ing the game on.

Kin­gussie were held up in a queue of traf­fic fol­low­ing a road ac­ci­dent on the main­land so throw-up was de­layed by 20 min­utes.

Kin­gussie at­tacked from the start and took the lead on 21 min­utes when James Fal­coner fin­ished off a fan­tas­tic flow­ing move up the away side’s right wing.

Dylan Borth­wick added a sec­ond on 30 min­utes after Skye goalie Ryan Mor­ri­son had made a bril­liant save to keep out a Kevin Thain piledriver, par­ry­ing the ball above his head with his ca­man, but Borth­wick knocked the re­bound home.

When Dylan Borth­wick got his sec­ond on 35 min­utes, after play­ing a one-two with Kevin Thain, Kin­gussie had one foot in the fi­nal.

There were harsh words in the Skye dress­ing room at the in­ter­val and the is­lan­ders made a solid start to the sec­ond half.

Ross Gor­don went close fol­low­ing a Kenny MacLeod cor­ner on 50 min­utes with Skye know­ing they needed to score next.

There seemed lit­tle dan­ger when Shockie MacLen­nan ran onto a ball on the left, but his early strike flew into the net to make it 3-1 with 67 min­utes on the clock. Kin­gussie ex­tin­guished any home hopes of a Skye come­back when they scored again three min­utes later.

Rory Fraser played a free-hit for­ward into the goal area and Liam Borth­wick’s cross from the left picked out Dylan Borth­wick who gave Ryan Mor­ri­son no chance, scor­ing from close in, to com­plete his hat-trick.

Skye pulled an­other goal back from the penalty spot on 78 min­utes. Ross Gor­don ran across the Kin­gussie goal and was bun­dled to the ground in­side the ‘D’. Con­nor Gilpin, who had by this time been pushed for­ward into at­tack, thumped the re­sul­tant penalty over Kin­gussie keeper Robert Shiells’ left shoul­der to make it 4-2. Ross Gor­don was in­jured in the chal­lenge and Daniel Mor­ri­son came on in his place.

Kin­gussie de­served the win and, with an Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup Fi­nal al­ready in the diary, they now have a sec­ond cup fi­nal to look for­ward to.

Glen­garry 4 New­ton­more 5

The New­ton­more re­serves even­tu­ally over­came Glen­garry, run­ning out 5- 4 win­ners in an epic bat­tle at Craigard.

Cameron McNiven, who usu­ally plays in the New­ton­more de­fence, opened the scor­ing on three min­utes and added a sec­ond to make it 2- 0 on 23 min­utes.

Glen­garry’s Daniel MacLen­nan made it 2-1 on 25 min­utes but when Cameron McNiven com­pleted his hat-trick on 40 min­utes and Dun­can Gor­man made it 4-1 a cou­ple of min­utes later, New­ton­more looked to have a com­fort­able half-time lead.

Glen­garry came right back into the tie at the start of the sec­ond half and a Nick Dal­gety brace on 51 and 54 min­utes made it 4-3.

New­ton­more’s Calum Ste­wart was on tar­get on 65 min­utes to stem the fight-back.

Daniel MacLen­nan got his sec­ond on 77 min­utes to make it 5- 4 and set up an ex­cit­ing fin­ish but New­ton­more stayed in front to reach the fi­nal.

New­ton­more’s Cameron Bin­nie was sent off by ref­eree John Wood.

The win means the New­ton­more sec­onds will now play the Kin­gussie sec­onds in the Strathdearn Cup Fi­nal on Satur­day Au­gust 12.

The venue has yet to be de­cid- ed but, given the fi­nal is now a derby be­tween the Kin­gussie and New­ton­more sec­ond teams, the clubs may be tempted to re­quest a toss of the coin to de­cide who hosts the game, a move sure to at­tract a large num­ber of lo­cal sup­port­ers.

Bul­lough Cup - semi fi­nal Kyles Ath­letic P Stra­chur P

The Bul­lough Cup semi-fi­nal tie be­tween the Kyles Ath­letic sec­onds and Stra­chur was post­poned as an un­playable Tighnabru­aich pitch led to a Satur­day morn­ing call- off.

The tie has been re-sched­uled for this com­ing Satur­day.

The win­ners will the play the In­ver­aray sec­onds in the Bul­lough Cup Fi­nal.

Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship New­ton­more 3 Kyles Ath­letic 1

New­ton­more proved they re­main very much in the ti­tle race by beat­ing Kyles Ath­letic at The Ei­lan for the sec­ond suc­ces­sive Satur­day.

New­ton­more were 4-1 win­ners when the sides met in the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup quar­ter-fi­nals a week ear­lier and this week’s 3-1 vic­tory was Kyles’ first league de­feat of the sea­son.

Paul MacArthur and Drew Mac­Don­ald re­mained out in­jured for Paul John MacK­in­tosh’s New­ton­more side. Jamie Robin­son was fit enough to take up a place on the bench.

Kyles Ath­letic man­ager James Per­lich was un­able to call on in­jured duo Innes Mac­Don­ald and Cammy Keith, whilst Grant Irvine didn’t play ei­ther. Roddy Mac­Don­ald, who has been nurs­ing a shoul­der in­jury, lined up in a strong de­fence, al­low­ing An­drew King to go to wing back.

New­ton­more took the lead on 22 min­utes. The goal came from a free-hit after the ball was looped over to the back post where Glen MacK­in­tosh found half a yard to poke the ball into the bot­tom cor­ner of the net.

New­ton­more net­ted a cru­cial sec­ond goal a minute be­fore the in­ter­val. Iain Robin­son hit a shot fol­low­ing a cor­ner. The ball de­flected to Evan Men­zies at the back post who sent a shot into the bot­tom left cor­ner of the net to make it 2- 0.

Kyles gave a much bet­ter show­ing than a week ear­lier and Sandy MacKen­zie pulled the Tighnabru­aich men back into it when he made it 2-1 on 60 min­utes.

Glen MacK­in­tosh had to go off with a calf prob­lem and he was re­placed by Con­nor Jones.

New­ton­more lost an­other for­ward when Evan Men­zies was sent off by ref­eree Gra­ham Cameron for two yel­low cards.

It was left for Con­nor Jones to set­tle the game with a goal a cou­ple of min­utes from time when he sent the ball past keeper John Whyte from the left of the ‘D’.

New­ton­more have now come through two tough games against Kyles Ath­letic and there is now a gen­uine ti­tle race.

The reign­ing cham­pi­ons seem to have al­ways been miss­ing two or three play­ers each week since the start of the sea­son but they are now near­ing full strength and, if they can stay clear of in­juries and sus­pen­sions, they could peak at ex­actly the right time.

The big games keep com­ing for both sides. New­ton­more travel to neu­tral Brae­view Park this Satur­day to play Lo­vat in the Artemis Macau­lay Cup semi-fi­nals whilst Kyles Ath­letic face Oban Ca­manachd at Moss­field in the last four of same com­pe­ti­tion.

Oban Ca­manachd P Kil­mallie P

The game be­tween Oban Ca­manachd and Kil­mallie at Moss­field was post­poned shortly be­fore throw-up as ref­eree Lachie Wood ruled the heavy pre-match rain had left the pitch wa­ter-logged.

The pitch passed a Satur­day morn­ing in­spec­tion but the wind and rain that fol­lowed would have made for far­ci­cal play­ing con­di­tions and, with pud­dles form­ing on the pitch, ref­eree Wood was left with no op­tion but to call the game off.

Re­mark­ably, this was to be Oban Ca­manachd’s first game at Moss­field since Satur­day April 8 when they beat Glenurquhart 5- 0. They have played 11 con­sec­u­tive matches away from their home patch since then.

Oban Ca­manachd will try again for a home fix­ture this Satur­day when they have an Artemis Macau­lay Cup semi-fi­nal meet­ing with Kyles Ath­letic at Moss­field. Ca­manachd didn’t do them­selves jus­tice when the sides met in the Gre­gor Cameron Glas­gow Celtic So­ci­ety

Cup Fi­nal so they have an early op­por­tu­nity to put on a bet­ter show­ing. Gary McKer­racher, Matt Rip­pon, who would have missed the Kil­mallie clash, will re­turn, as will Marc MacCal­lum but, with the Kil­mallie game post­poned,

Garry Lord’s sus­pen­sion car­ries for­ward a week.

Kin­gussie 5 Lochaber 2

Kin­gussie stay third in shinty’s top flight after they beat Lochaber 5-2 at The Dell.

Lee Bain scored the only goal of the first half, his ef­fort com­ing five min­utes be­fore the break.

Lee Bain got his and Kin­gussie’s sec­ond three min­utes into the sec­ond half but Zandz Fer­gu­son pulled a goal back with 55 min­utes played.

Kin­gussie man­ager Dal­las Young’s de­ci­sion to switch Lee Bain to the for­ward line is pay­ing div­i­dends and he com­pleted his hat-trick on 71 min­utes.

Lochaber were never out of it though and Stu­art Cal­li­son made it 3-2 a minute later.

Kin­gussie pulled away though as Ruar­idh An­der­son on 74 min­utes and Ryan Borth­wick on 81 min­utes rounded off the 5-2 win.

Kin­gussie are just a point be­hind Kyles Ath­letic and Kin­lochshiel but have played three games more.

Kin­lochshiel P Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll P

The match be­tween Kin­lochshiel and Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll at Kirk­ton was post­poned as the wet weather on Satur­day morn­ing left Kirk­ton un­playable.

GMA had reached Fort Wil­liam be­fore the mid-morn­ing call- off.

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion Beauly 3 Strath­glass 1

Beauly go fourth in the Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Di­vi­sion after they de­feated Strath­glass 3-1 in their noon throw-up at Brae­view Park.

The start time was brought for­ward to al­low both clubs the chance to at­tend the Bal­liemore Cup Fi­nal later in the af­ter­noon.

Beauly man­ager Alan MacRae went into the game with­out Marc MacLach­lan, Ross Forbes, Liam Gir­van and Bar­rie Mac­Don­ald, but Jack Mac­Don­ald, Rob­bie Brindle and keeper Josh Grant were amongst those who re­turned after miss­ing the pre­vi­ous week’s de­feat at Fort Wil­liam.

Strath­glass boss Dave Bal­harry was again with­out Lewis Dou­glas, whilst Michael Stokes and Dar­ren Reid were also un­avail­able.

There was an early goal-rush and Beauly’s Sandy El­rick caught out vis­it­ing keeper Ally MacA­dams with a shot from far out with only 10 sec­onds played.

Strath­glass re­sponded in the best way by lev­el­ling with only 65 sec­onds on the clock when Josh Fraser turned and hit a dip­ping shot which dropped just in­side Josh Grant’s left post.

The end-to- end na­ture of the early ex­changes con­tin­ued and Beauly went back in front on 10 min­utes when Sean Ste­wart threw him­self to scoop home a re­bound off the keeper’s chest to make it 2-1.

That’s the way it stayed un­til three min­utes into the sec­ond half when Daniel La­mont and Sean Ste­wart com­bined to cre­ate a chance.

The Strath­glass de­fence cleared the ball but it fell for Sandy El­rick, who’d lost his marker, and he blasted the ball high into the net, giv­ing the keeper no chance.

Strath­glass cre­ated chances be­fore the end and it took a cou­ple of bril­liant stops from Beauly keeper Josh Grant to pre­serve his side’s two-goal ad­van­tage.

There was a late red card for Strath­glass de­fender Ge­orge Phimis­ter with ref­eree Wil­lie Mac­Don­ald send­ing him off fol­low­ing a chal­lenge on Jack Mac­Don­ald.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 1 Aberdeen Univer­sity P Beauly P

The game be­tween Aberdeen Univer­sity and the Beauly sec­onds at Bal­go­wnie was post­poned as the vis­i­tors were un­able to raise a team.

Beauly have been de­ducted two points and the match will be re-sched­uled for a later date.

This is the sec­ond time this sea­son Beauly have been un­able to ful­fil this par­tic­u­lar fix­ture.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Di­vi­sion 1 Lochside Rovers P Taynuilt P

Lochside Rovers missed the chance to bounce back from the pre­vi­ous week­end’s sur­prise Strathdearn Cup semi-fi­nal de­feat to the In­ver­aray colts when their match against Taynuilt at Gana­van was post­poned shortly be­fore throw-up be­cause of an un­playable pitch.

Col Glen P Kil­mory P

The meet­ing be­tween Col Glen and Kil­mory was post­poned on Satur­day morn­ing be­cause the pitch was deemed un­playable.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Di­vi­sion 2 Bole­sk­ine 1 Lo­vat 3

The Lo­vat colts won their third game in a row, beat­ing Bole­sk­ine 3-1 at Smith Park.

Bole­sk­ine’s Craig Pir­rie and Keith Ni­col­son were both banned for this en­counter.

Lo­vat in­cluded for­mer In­ver­ness player Chris John­ston at wing cen­tre.

It looked as if it would be an up­hill task for Lo­vat when James Fraser was sent off by ref­eree Martin Ma­cLean with only five min­utes gone.

A Dar­ren MacLeod goal on 35 minute gave the hosts a 1- 0 in­ter­val lead.

Ray­mond Ren­nie equalised five min­utes after the restart and Rory Camp­bell made it 2-1 on the hour.

Ray­mond Ren­nie sealed the win when he made it 3-1 on 74 min­utes.

Lewis Ca­manachd 1 Strath­spey Ca­manachd 1

Lewis Ca­manachd move off the bot­tom of the ta­ble at Bole­sk­ine’s ex­pense after they drew 1-1 with Strath­spey Ca­manachd at Shaw­bost.

Both teams had chances be­fore Don­nie Ross gave Strath­spey the lead on 25 min­utes with Lewis claim­ing for a foul in the lead-up to the goal.

Lewis Ca­manachd equalised 7 min­utes after the restart when a cor­ner fell for Craig MacLeod and he flicked the ball into the net to make it 1-1.

Kil­mallie A Lochaber A

The game be­tween the Kil­mallie sec­ond team and the Lochaber sec­ond team at Canal Parks started, but ref­eree Gra­ham Fisher was left with lit­tle op­tion but to aban­don the match as the con­di­tions wors­ened.

WCA round up

The ladies fo­cus was on their shinty/camo­gie in­ter­na­tional against Dublin County Ladies at Na Fianna, Dublin, last Satur­day.

Dublin County Ladies 10 Scot­land Ladies 19

Scot­land Ladies re­turned from Dublin with the win they wanted after beat­ing the Dublin County Ladies Se­lect 19-10 in their lat­est shinty/camo­gie clash, a 2pm throw-up at Na Fianna, Dublin.

This was the sec­ond game of a three-match se­ries. The ‘Dubs’ were con­vinc­ing win­ners in In­ver­ness last year.

Two goals from Skye Ca­manachd cap­tain Lorna MacRae and had the Scots 7- 4 ahead but the ‘Dubs’ fought back to draw 7-7 at the in­ter­val.

When Lorna MacRae scored for a third time, Scot­land led 11- 8 and they stayed in front with Lo­vat’s Laura Gal­lacher and Bade­noch’s Zoe Reid also find­ing the back of the net be­fore ref­eree Karl O’Brien’s fi­nal whis­tle con­firmed Scot­land’s 19-10 win.

A strike over the bar from Kirsty Deans and three more points from Lorna MacRae, tak­ing her tally to an im­pres­sive 12 points, also counted for the Scots.

The player of the match hon­our was shared be­tween Dublin cap­tain Louise O’Hara and Scot­land’s Katy Smith.

Scot­land cap­tain Katy Smith was pre­sented with the tro­phy by Dublin camo­gie chair­man Patrick Martin.

If this proves to be head coach Stu­art Reid’s last match in charge, he is cer­tainly go­ing out on a high and the 2018 meet­ing be­tween the teams in In­ver­ness will de­cide the out­come of this three-match se­ries.

Scot­land Un­der-17 squad an­nounced

The Scot­land U17 squad has been an­nounced for this year’s shinty/ hurl­ing tour of Ire­land.

There are places again for Oban-based trio Lochside’s Cameron Suther­land, Celtic’s Ross MacMil­lan and Ca­manachd’s Daniel MacVicar, who all played in the squad which beat Kilkenny and Dublin last year, whilst Oban Ca­manachd’s Daniel MacCuish is called up for the first time.

Skye’s John Gil­lies, Lo­vat’s Scott MacKen­zie and Beauly’s Rob­bie Brindle were also part of the suc­cess­ful 2016 squad.

New­ton­more for­ward Iain Robin­son has the hon­our of cap­tain­ing this year’s tour.

The Scots travel to Dublin on Sun­day July 23.

They will play Waterford U17 the fol­low­ing day and Dublin U17 on Tues­day July 25 be­fore re­turn­ing home.

The an­nual tour, which has been tak­ing place for more than 20 years, sees elite shinty play­ers, many of whom at­tended the pre­vi­ous year’s Na­tional Devel­op­ment Camp, make up the squad.

Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion youth di­rec­tor Wil­lie Mac­Don­ald said: ‘The Dis­trict Se­lect Un­der 17 Squad, and the tour it­self, is an in­te­gral part of shinty’s player path­way.

‘It is the last op­por­tu­nity for play­ers to test them­selves be­fore pre­par­ing to step up to Scot­land U21 and se­nior level.

‘This year’s squad is made up of highly skil­ful play­ers, many of whom al­ready hold spots in their own club’s first team. I am in no doubt we will see some ex­cel­lent dis­plays of shinty/ hurl­ing skill.’

Scot­land U17 from: Cameron Suther­land, Oban Ca­manachd; John Gil­lies, Skye Ca­manachd; Ross MacMil­lan, Oban Celtic; Con­nor Gilpin, Skye Ca­manachd; Alexan­der Michie, Kin­gussie; Ross Mont­gomery, In­ver­aray; Scott MacKen­zie, Lo­vat; Daniel McCuish, Oban Ca­manachd; Liam Arnott, Lochcar­ron; Calum MacDougall, Kil­mallie; Rob­bie Brindle, Beauly; James Pringle, Skye Ca­manachd; Daniel MacVicar, Oban Ca­manachd; Ruar­idh An­der­son, Kin­gussie; Scott Mac­Don­ald, Kyles Ath­letic; Roddy Young, Kin­gussie; and Iain Robin­son, New­ton­more, cap­tain.

Shinty pho­tos ex­hi­bi­tion

Ac­claimed shinty pho­tog­ra­pher Neil G Pater­son is host­ing a month-long ex­hi­bi­tion of prints of im­ages taken dur­ing his nine sea­sons cov­er­ing the sport.

The ex­hi­bi­tion will take place at Eden Court Theatre, In­ver­ness, and starts on Au­gust 1.

The ex­hi­bi­tion lasts for the month.

An­nual In­ver­ness Sixes tour­na­ment

In­ver­ness Shinty Club hold their an­nual sixes at The Bught Park on Sun­day July 30.

Men’s teams will com­pete for the Ju­bilee Shield and the Rosedean Shield; Women’s teams will com­pete for the Alis­tair Gow Shield and U14 teams will con­test the Ken Ross Tro­phy

For more in­for­ma­tion, in­clud­ing how to en­ter a team, visit the Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion web­site

Lo­vat mem­ber’s fundraiser

Mem­bers of Lo­vat Shinty Club are to tackle a 400-mile fundrais­ing cy­cle around all ten Ma­rine Har­vest Pre­mier­ship shinty clubs.

The Lo­vat cy­clists will be led by man­ager Fraser Gal­lacher who is joined by first team play­ers Stu­art Mac­Don­ald, Drew Howie, Daniel Grieve, Cal­lum Cru­den and Greg Mathe­son and they will hold a penalty shootout at each pitch.

The jour­ney, which has a 16,000ft climb, be­gins on Mon­day July 31 at 8am at Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll’s Yoker pitch.

From there, the play­ers make their way to Oban Ca­manachd’s Moss­field Sta­dium via a stop- off at Kyles Ath­letic’s Tighnabru­aich ground – 127 miles in to­tal.

The fol­low­ing day, the group head up the A82 to visit Kil­mallie at The Canal Parks be­fore branch­ing off to Lochaber’s Spean Bridge ground and then fin­ish­ing the day at The Ei­lan, New­ton­more and Kin­gussie’s The Dell, cov­er­ing an­other 104 miles in the process.

The third day, Wed­nes­day Au­gust 2, con­sists of a 91-mile cy­cle west to Kin­lochshiel’s Kirk­ton home.

The fourth and fi­nal day is on Thurs­day Au­gust 3 when the play­ers add the last 78 miles to their to­tal, set­ting off at 8am to Glenurquhart’s Blair­beg pitch at Drum­nadro­chit. The play­ers will then be greeted at the nearby Bel­ladrum Mu­sic Fes­ti­val main stage once they com­plete the chal­lenge on their home turf at Bal­gate. All pro­ceeds from the chal­lenge will be split be­tween High­land Hospice and the Lo­vat Shinty Club New Com­mu­nity Club­house Fund.

You can sup­port the chal­lenge by do­nat­ing at the Lo­vat web­site www.lo­vat­shin­ty­

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

The vic­to­ri­ous Fort Wil­liam team with the Bal­liemore Cup.

Caber­feidh’s Ben Mac­don­ald is closed down by Fort Wil­liam’s Sea­mus Gall dur­ing the Bal­liemore Cup Fi­nal.

A de­lighted Fort Wil­liam cap­tain James Tangney with the Bal­liemore Cup.

Fort Wil­liam play­ers cel­e­brate the winning penalty, scored by Mark Grant, front cen­tre.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.