Best for shinty

The Oban Times - - Front Page -

UNRIVALLED shinty cov­er­age with re­ports and pic­tures from all the week­end’s games, as well as this week­end’s fix­tures.

THE FIRST Ca­manachd Cup semi-fi­nal takes place on Satur­day when Oban Ca­manachd take on Lo­vat at An Aird with a 4pm throw-up. Ref­eree in charge is Deek Cameron. The match is be­ing tele­vised live by BBC Alba.

Bul­lough Cup Fi­nal Stra­chur 0 In­ver­aray 3

The In­ver­aray sec­ond team won the Bul­lough Cup, beat­ing Stra­chur 3- 0 in the fi­nal at Stra­chur­more.

The sides oc­cupy the top two po­si­tions in Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 and both beat good teams on the way to the fi­nal.

Des McNulty was the match ref­eree for this 3pm throw-up.

Stra­chur won the toss of the coin to host the fi­nal and the wet weather which hit most of the area stayed away for the du­ra­tion of the game.

The first half ended score­less but the sec­ond half was just five min­utes old when David Robert­son put In­ver­aray ahead.

Euan McMurdo made it 2- 0 on 68 min­utes and when Rus­sell McKin­lay added a third a cou­ple of min­utes later, the tro­phy was on its way to The Win­ter­ton.

The sides re­turn to Stra­chur­more this Satur­day for a cru­cial league clash.

Ma­rine Har­vest Premier­ship Kin­gussie 1 New­ton­more 1

New­ton­more’s ti­tle chances suf­fered a blow when a late Ryan Borth­wick goal earned Kin­gussie a 1-1 draw in their derby meet­ing at The Dell on Fri­day Au­gust 4.

The 6pm throw-up was broad­cast live on BBC Alba and, as well as there be­ing two league points up for grabs, the teams also con­tested the an­nual Sir Tommy MacPher­son Memo­rial Cup.

Robert Mabon as­sumed his usual de­fen­sive role for Kin­gussie as his one-match sus­pen­sion for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old didn’t be­gin un­til the fol­low­ing day. Cap­tain Ryan Borth­wick started on the bench.

Evan Men­zies re­turned to the New­ton­more squad af­ter serv­ing a two-match sus­pen­sion and also started on the bench along­side Andy MacKin­tosh. In­jury con­tin­ued to rule out Drew Mac­Don­ald and Chris Sel­lar. David Ma­cLean came back into the New­ton­more start­ing line-up and Iain Richard­son con­tin­ued in mid­field.

A good crowd gath­ered for this en­counter de­spite the wet weather with rain con­tin­u­ing through­out the match.

New­ton­more won the first cor­ner of the match which led to Kin­gussie keeper Craig Daw­son mak­ing a smart stop from Jamie Robin­son’s 20-yard shot.

Glen MacKin­tosh then hit the post, to the keeper’s right, fol­low­ing a scram­ble in­side the ‘D’ af­ter Jamie Robin­son’s ini­tial shot was blocked.

Play switched to the other end and Ackie MacRae did well to block Savio Genini’s at­tempted strike from the edge of the ‘D’.

A huge Nor­man Camp­bell goal-hit sent Michael Rus­sell on a goal­wards run down the left chan­nel but the home de­fence cov­ered well to thwart the dan­ger.

When Iain Robin­son found Fraser MacKin­tosh mid­way through the first half, Craig Daw­son saved MacKin­tosh’s shot, low to his right with his ca­man, at the ex­pense of a cor­ner.

Play quickly switched to the other end and the New­ton­more goal sur­vived a scram­ble with the ball cleared out for a cor­ner.

Kin­gussie’s James Hutchi­son was booked for kick­ing the ball away af­ter drop­ping his ca­man in a chal­lenge with Glen MacKin­tosh.

Kin­gussie’s Robert Mabon made a de­ter­mined run for­ward, cut­ting in­side, and his shot went just wide.

Kin­gussie were hav­ing a good spell and Savio Genini took a Roddy Young pass and turned Ackie MacRae but shot wide, not re­al­is­ing he had more time as MacRae had dropped his ca­man.

David Ma­cLean was booked for a late chal­lenge on Rory MacGre­gor who was too quick for his op­po­nent.

Kin­gussie forced a cou­ple of free-hits at the an­gle of the ‘D’ but were un­able to get a strike at goal and Savio Genini tugged a shot wide a cou­ple of min­utes later.

New­ton­more re­sponded and Glen MacKin­tosh’s shot from the right flashed across goal with four first-half min­utes re­main­ing.

New­ton­more con­tin­ued to press and the clos­est they came to a first-half goal was when Glen MacKin­tosh won the ball around 30 yards out. He found David Ma­cLean who flicked a loop­ing ball to Iain Robin­son who lifted the ball goal­wards from the left of the ‘D’ but it came back off the cross­bar and Kin­gussie cleared the dan­ger.

Craig Daw­son got his body be­hind an Iain Robin­son drive as New­ton­more fin­ished the first half strongly but the open­ing pe­riod ended goal­less.

Kin­gussie in­tro­duced Ryan Borth­wick in place of Alexan­der Michie from the re-start.

New­ton­more’s Steven Mac­Don­ald needed treat­ment af­ter a solid mid­field chal­lenge from Roddy Young but he car­ried on.

New­ton­more carved out an­other op­por­tu­nity when Iain Robin­son took a great first touch. But he missed his hit af­ter Glen MacKin­tosh had played him in.

A good Ryan Borth­wick run, cut­ting in from the left, cre­ated a home chance but Lee Bain was un­able to get a shot in from the right.

The break­through came on 58 min­utes. Fraser MacKin­tosh took a quick free-hit, wide on the New­ton­more right af­ter he had been im­peded. MacKin­tosh played the ball into the mid­dle where Michael Rus­sell had burst for­ward. Rus­sell took a touch to his right be­fore giv­ing the keeper no chance, send­ing the ball soar­ing high into the net from just out­side the ‘D’.

Kin­gussie made a switch in mid­field with Rory MacGre­gor com­ing off to be re­placed by Alexan­der Michie.

Craig Daw­son stuck out a ca­man to his left to turn away a Fraser MacKin­tosh drive which came af­ter a good pass­ing move, although the fi­nal shot did look to be go­ing wide.

New­ton­more in­tro­duced Conor Jones in favour of Jamie Robin­son, whilst Kin­gussie put Chris Hol­leysong on in at­tack.

Fraser MacKin­tosh took a touch in­side be­fore shoot­ing across goal with eight min­utes re­main­ing.

Kin­gussie lev­elled a minute later. Alexan­der Michie’s free­hit from the right of mid­field was aimed at the heart of the New­ton­more de­fence and Lee Bain knocked the ball back to Roddy Young who lofted the ball to his left where Ryan Borth­wick took a touch be­fore blast­ing high into the net.

New­ton­more’s Fraser MacKin­tosh was re­placed by Andy MacKin­tosh.

Kin­gussie cre­ated a late chance when Ruar­idh An­der­son played a ball into the dan­ger area but keeper Nor­man Camp­bell came off his line to block Lee Bain’s at­tempt with a minute re­main­ing.

Fraser MacKin­tosh re­placed Iain Richard­son for the lat­ter stages but there was no fur­ther scor­ing.

A penalty shoot- out fol­lowed to de­cide the win­ner of the Sir Tommy MacPher­son Memo­rial Cup. Kin­gussie won the toss and went first but Savio Genini sent his at­tempt high and wide of the tar­get.

New­ton­more’s Steven Mac­Don­ald found the net, in off the keeper, to put New­ton­more ahead.

Chris Hol­leysong’s spot-hit went in off the keeper’s foot, whilst Glen MacKin­tosh’s wais­theight strike made it 2-1.

Roddy Young steered the ball wide of the keeper’s right post and Conor Jones saw his at­tempt saved with his feet by Craig Daw­son so New­ton­more re­tained their 2-1 ad­van­tage.

Lee Bain beat the keeper at his left side and Fraser MacKin­tosh did like­wise to make it 3-2.

Kin­gussie keeper Craig Daw­son stepped up next and had to score Kin­gussie’s fi­nal penalty. How­ever he didn’t con­nect as he would have liked and the ball skewed wide of goal.

The shoot- out win was al­most sec­ondary though. New­ton­more had dropped a cru­cial league point, leav­ing them six points be­hind Kin­lochshiel with a game in hand.

Lady Jean MacPher­son pre­sented the im­pres­sive Sir Tommy MacPher­son Memo­rial Tro­phy to New­ton­more cap­tain Rory Kennedy.

Michael Rus­sell’s strong sec­ond half per­for­mance earned him the man of the match award, se­lected by BBC Alba match sum­mariser Drew McNeil.

Rus­sell’s dis­ap­point­ment at the dropped point was ev­i­dent as he spoke af­ter the game. ‘We strug­gled to get go­ing in the game but we put in a great shift in the sec­ond half and a draw was prob­a­bly fair. Although it’s a draw, it feels more like a de­feat and it makes the league all the more dif­fi­cult for us. Peo­ple are quick to write us off but there’s still a long way to go this sea­son and we’ve plenty to play for so we’ll pick our­selves up and get go­ing again.’

Kin­lochshiel 5 Kil­mallie 0

Kin­lochshiel kept their ti­tle push on track by beat­ing Kil­mallie 5- 0 at Kirk­ton.

Kin­lochshiel’s Colin MacDiarmid was free of sus­pen­sion.

Kil­mallie trav­elled with­out Stephen McAlis­ter, Craig MacIsaac, Innes Black­hall, Aaron San­di­son, Mark Gra­ham, Martin Ste­wart, Ryan Ste­wart and Calum Mac­Dougall, whilst Steven Ste­wart didn’t start as he was strug­gling with a knee in­jury.

Kil­mallie went in to the match know­ing they had al­ready beaten Kin­lochshiel at the same venue in the MacTav­ish Cup semi-fi­nals.

How­ever Kin­lochshiel had only dropped four points in their pre­vi­ous 12 fix­tures so this was al­ways go­ing to be an up­hill bat­tle for Mark MacPher­son’s de­pleted side.

John MacRae opened the scor- ing on 26 min­utes with a well-hit shot from just left of the penalty spot. Keith MacRae made it 2- 0 on the half hour mark when he got on the end of a free-hit and knocked the ball past the keeper be­fore tapping it into the net.

Keith MacRae got his sec­ond and Kin­lochshiel’s third five min­utes later. Oliver MacRae played a ball across from the right. MacRae faked a shot on his left be­fore cut­ting back on his right side and hit­ting a hard mid-height strike into the net. With five first half min­utes re­main­ing, Jor­dan Fraser gath­ered the ball around 22 yards out on the Kin­lochshiel right. Fraser played the ball back to Fin­lay MacRae and his pow­er­ful, low, first-time shot sent the ball into the bot­tom left cor­ner of the net.

Keith MacRae com­pleted his hat-trick a cou­ple of min­utes into the sec­ond half when he col­lected John MacRae’s lay- off from just past the penalty spot be­fore car­ry­ing the ball past a full back into space on the right where he hit a low shot past keeper Shane Gil­lies to make it 5- 0. Kin­lochshiel re­main two points ahead of Kyles Ath­letic at the top of the ta­ble but Kyles have a game in hand.

Kin­lochshiel have five league matches to go. They host Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll a week Satur­day and there is then a two-week gap be­fore they head to The Ei­lan to face New­ton­more. The fol­low­ing two Satur­days bring home fix­tures against Glenurquhart and Kyles Ath­letic, whilst Kin­lochshiel are sched­uled to fin­ish the sea­son against Oban Ca­manachd at Moss­field on Satur­day Oc­to­ber 7. Kyles Ath­letic 5 Lochaber 0 Kyles Ath­letic show no signs of fal­ter­ing in their ti­tle bid as they beat Lochaber 5- 0 at Tighnabru­aich.

Kyles were still with­out the in­jured Innes Mac­Don­ald but Lochaber’s Stuart Cal­li­son was free of his one game sus­pen­sion.

Gor­don Whyte set­tled Kyles into the game with a goal af­ter six min­utes.

Colin Mac­Don­ald on 34 min­utes and Roddy Mac­Don­ald on 38 min­utes made it 3- 0 at the break.

Two late strikes put gloss on the win with Grant Irvine on 83 min­utes and Scott Mac­Don­ald on 88 min­utes round­ing off the 5- 0 vic­tory.

Kyles Ath­letic have six league matches re­main­ing start­ing with a home clash with Glenurquhart this Satur­day. They face Kin­gussie at The Dell at the end of the month be­fore an away meet­ing with Lo­vat on Satur­day Septem­ber 9. The fol­low­ing two Satur­days could be cru­cial – at home to New­ton­more and away to Kin­lochshiel be­fore they also fin­ish off the sea­son on Satur­day Oc­to­ber 7 when Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll visit Tighnabru­aich.

Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 0 Oban Ca­manachd 5

Oban Ca­manachd pulled away from the teams bat­tling rel­e­ga­tion when they beat Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll 5- 0 at Yoker.

GMA’s Mark Bain served a one-match ban for pass­ing through the dis­ci­plinary points thresh­old.

Oban Ca­manachd’s Garry Lord served the fi­nal game of his two-match sus­pen­sion which makes him avail­able for this com­ing week­end’s cru­cial Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup semi-fi­nal against Lo­vat at An Aird. In­jury ruled out Matt Rip­pon and Daniel MacVicar.

Oban Ca­manachd man­ager Iain Hay was on hol­i­day so Christo­pher Ec­cle­ston looked af­ter the side.

An­drew MacCuish opened the scor­ing af­ter six min­utes when he ran into the ‘D’, hold­ing off a cou­ple of play­ers be­fore slip­ping the ball past for­mer Lochside Rovers keeper Robert Dun­nings in the GMA goal.

Oban Ca­manachd dou­bled their lead on 21 min­utes when they broke up the left side of the pitch. An­drew MacCuish switched play to the right of the ‘D’ and Mal­colm Clark smashed the ball home.

The vis­i­tor’s third goal came im­me­di­ately af­ter half-time. Lewis Buchanan’s shot was saved with his feet by keeper Dun­nings but the ball spun up in the air to the right of ‘D’ and Mal­colm Clark ran in to knock the ball above his head, high into the left side-net­ting.

Daniel Cameron made it 4- 0 on the hour. The ball came out of the GMA ‘D’ where Cameron’s strike on the bounce flew into the bot­tom left cor­ner of the net.

Daniel Cameron got his sec­ond with six min­utes re­main­ing. Mal­colm Clark beat his man on the left be­fore run­ning to the by-line where he crossed into the mid­dle of the ‘D’ for Daniel Cameron, who col­lected the ball and sent a strike high into the net.

Next up for Oban Ca­manachd is this week­end’s Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup semi-fi­nal tie against Lo­vat. Man­ager Iain Hay will be pleased to have Garry Lord free of sus­pen­sion but Matt Rip­pon and Daniel MacVicar are ma­jor in­jury doubts. Lo­vat will be with­out the in­jured Scott MacKen­zie and the sus­pended Lorne MacKay for the tie which will be broad­cast live on BBC Alba from 4pm.

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion Skye Ca­manachd 6 Oban Celtic 0

Skye Ca­manachd go top of the Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion af­ter they beat Oban Celtic 6- 0 at Pairc nan Laoch.

Skye man­ager Wil­lie Cowie made an en­forced change from the squad which beat Beauly in the league a week ear­lier. Iain Ni­col­son was work­ing so Gil­leas­buig Mac­Don­ald started at wing centre and young­ster Con­nor Gilpin came in to take a place on the bench. John Gil­lies started in de­fence, with Allan MacLeod drop­ping onto the bench.

Oban Celtic man­ager Kenny Wother­spoon didn’t have his prob­lems to seek. Both keep­ers – Stephen David­son and Jack Hill – were un­avail­able so wing back Iain MacFar­lane took over be­tween the sticks. Ally McKer­racher, Andy Hunt and Robert Alexan­ders were all in­jured, whilst David MacInnes and Con­nor Howe were amongst the other ab­sen­tees. The Oban side trav­elled with just one sub­sti­tute and boss Wother­spoon started in at­tack.

The Oban Celtic play­ers made a pre-match pre­sen­ta­tion to faith­ful sup­port­ers Jim and June Pear­son who were cel­e­brat­ing their golden wed­ding an­niver-

sary. Jim and June’s fam­ily had ar­ranged a stay on Skye which al­lowed the cou­ple to fol­low their team at the week­end.

Skye started well but both teams had goals dis­al­lowed for off­side be­fore the is­landers took the lead. A foul on James Pringle gave Skye a free-hit on the right. Oban Celtic strug­gled to get the ball away and when Jor­dan Murchi­son scooped it goal­wards, keeper Iain MacFar­lane blocked the ball but Ste­wart Grant made a great run into the ‘ D’ from wing centre and knocked the re­bound into the net.

Skye’s sec­ond also came from a set-piece. Gibbs Mac­Don­ald played the free-hit from the mid­dle of the Oban Celtic half, pick­ing out Jor­dan Murchi­son who was un­marked on the Skye left and Murchi­son had time to pick his spot and he thun­dered a shot past a help­less keeper to make it 2- 0 with 34 min­utes on the clock.

Skye added a third on 49 min­utes. James Pringle played the ball to Jor­dan Murchi­son who held off a chal­lenge from Ross MacMil­lan be­fore send­ing a re­turn pass to James Pringle on the left who sent a low, rasp­ing shot into the net.

Will Cowie made it 4- 0 with a spe­cial goal on 58 min­utes. Ste­wart Grant’s shy from the left was knocked down by Danny Mor­ri­son and Cowie blasted an un­stop­pable shot across the keeper from a tight an­gle of the left with the ball ris­ing into the top cor­ner of the net.

Skye were now turn­ing on the style and their one-touch shinty was a joy to watch. The hosts had an­other goal dis­al­lowed for off­side be­fore Danny Mor­ri­son made it 5- 0 on 62 min­utes. Gibbs Mac­Don­ald lofted a cross from the right into the goal area and the ball was de­flected out as far as Danny Mor­ri­son who struck a glo­ri­ous 30-yard drive which beat the keeper at his left post.

Sub­sti­tute Iain MacLel­lan, who had re­placed Danny Mor­ri­son a cou­ple of min­utes ear­lier, rounded off the scor­ing with three min­utes re­main­ing when he col­lected a poor goal-hit and his firm strike beat the keeper on his left side.

Skye’s Ste­wart Grant put in a man of the match per­for­mance in mid­field whilst Gibbs Mac­Don­ald was also ex­cel­lent.

Andy Mac­Don­ald in de­fence was best for Oban Celtic. Standin keeper Iain MacFar­lane didn’t let them down either, mak­ing sev­eral fine saves in­clud­ing a bril­liant point-black stop from Will Cowie.

Skye are now a point ahead of sec­ond-placed Caber­feidh. Both teams have five matches re­main­ing.

Skye man­ager Wil­lie Cowie was happy with how his team played, par­tic­u­larly in the sec­ond half. ‘I thought we were a bit off it in the first half to­day but we played re­ally good one-touch shinty in the sec­ond half and scored some crack­ing goals. So I was re­ally pleased with how we did to­day. It’s a case of one game at a time from now on and In­ver­ness for us is a big away game but we take a lot of con­fi­dence from to­day’s win.’

Oban Celtic boss Kenny Wother­spoon was proud of his player’s ef­forts. ‘It was re­lent­less Skye pres­sure and I’m proud of our boys to­day, es­pe­cially those at the back.

Iain MacFar­lane had been out in­jured for 18 months but with Jack Hill and Stephen David­son miss­ing, he came into the goal and made some great saves. Our aim is to stay in this league and we’ve picked up three wins al­ready. It doesn’t look as if we have a game for four weeks now so that will give some of our in­jured play­ers re­cov­ery time and that’s help­ful.’

In­ver­aray 4 Fort Wil­liam 1

A pow­er­ful first half per­for­mance saw In­ver­aray beat Fort Wil­liam 4-1 in their noon throw up at The Win­ter­ton.

In­ver­aray’s Allan Mac­Don­ald served the sec­ond game of his two-match sus­pen­sion.

Fort Wil­liam trav­elled light as they were with­out the sus­pended Mark Grant and Gra­ham Camp­bell. They were also mi­nus the in­jured Bryan Simp­son and Sea­mus Gall as well as Alexan­der MacMil­lan and James Tangney, whilst Calum Shep­herd was only fit enough to take up a place on the bench and he played in the sec­ond half.

The early start al­lowed the In­ver­aray play­ers to cheer on their re­serve side in the Bul­lough Cup Fi­nal later in the day.

All the goals came in the first half with Fraser Watt on 31 min­utes and Lewis MacNi­col on 35 min­utes mak­ing it 2- 0.

Fort Wil­liam’s Scot­land U17 player Lewis Clark pulled a goal back a cou­ple of min­utes later.

A quick-fire dou­ble from Garry MacPher­son on 42 min­utes and Lewis Mont­gomery 60 sec­onds later made it 4-1 at the break.

Any chances of a Fort Wil­liam come-back were dented when Lewis Clark was sent off by ref­eree Gra­ham Cameron.

The win means In­ver­aray leapfrog Fort Wil­liam into third place in the league with both sides half-way through their league pro­gramme.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 Aberdeen Uni­ver­sity 9 Fort Wil­liam 1

Aberdeen Uni­ver­sity de­feated the Fort Wil­liam sec­ond team 9-1 at Bal­go­wnie.

David Fraser was free of sus­pen­sion for the stu­dents and Rowan My­ers gave them the lead in five min­utes.

Ewan Fraser scored twice on 38 and 42 min­utes to make it 3- 0 be­fore Jay MacLeod pulled a goal back a minute later.

Ewan Fraser took his tally to four goals with quick strikes on 49 and 50 min­utes, whilst Stuart Cameron made it 7-1 with goals on 55 and 56 min­utes.

Gre­gor Cush­nie also grabbed a brace, scor­ing on 60 and 88 min­utes to make the fi­nal score 9-1. Aberdeen Uni­ver­sity are just a point be­hind league lead­ers New­ton­more sec­onds. Both teams have four league fix­tures to go in­clud­ing a meet­ing at The Ei­lan next month.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 Bal­lachul­ish 1 Lochside Rovers 5

The match be­tween Bal­lachul­ish and Lochside Rovers at Ju­bilee Park was brought for­ward to Wed­nes­day Au­gust 2 with a 7pm throw-up.

The mid­week fix­ture was at Bal­lachul­ish’s re­quest to al­low some of their play­ers to at­tend the Bel­ladrum Mu­sic Fes­ti­val. It also suited Lochside Rovers as their cup ex­ploits have left them be­hind with fix­tures. In­deed, Lochside host Kil­mory at Gana­van on Wed­nes­day 9 Au­gust 9 and play Kil­mory at MacRae Park the fol­low­ing Wed­nes­day as they catch up their matches.

Lochside, who missed Iain MacMil­lan and Keith Bur­nett through in­jury, the lat­ter suf­fer­ing a knock in train­ing, fielded the ver­sa­tile Daniel Sloss in at­tack de­spite the fact he’d played most of the sea­son in de­fence.

And it was Daniel Sloss who put the Oban side ahead af­ter 13 min­utes. Sloss got on the end of a cor­ner floated into the dan­ger-area. He took a touch to the side be­fore his half-swing sent the ball into the op­po­site cor­ner of the net to make it 1- 0.

For­mer Lochside Rovers youth player Pat Ma­cLean drew the sides level with 10 first-half min­utes re­main­ing. Ma­cLean’s strike took a de­flec­tion and the ball looped high be­fore drop­ping just un­der the bar and into the net to make 1-1.

Lochside were be­low par in the first half and boss Gareth Evans de­liv­ered a few choice words at the in­ter­val. The team re­sponded, mak­ing a strong start to the sec­ond pe­riod

Gareth Evans made a change on 52 min­utes with centre Michael MacQueen and for­ward Craig Mac­Dougall swap­ping places. It proved to be an in­spired change with the switch pay­ing div­i­dends a minute later when 14-year- old Len­non Camp­bell, who started the game, placed a neat pass to Michael MacQueen who had lost his marker and hit a 20-yard shot on the turn into the top cor­ner of the net.

Michael MacQueen got an­other three min­utes later with what was a good team move as passes from Steven Sloss to Len­non Camp­bell and then to Lewis Buchanan cul­mi­nated in an­other good MacQueen fin­ish.

Lochside made it 4-1 on 69 min­utes when a Daniel Sloss shot was saved by Bal­lachul­ish keeper Don­ald Pearce but Lewis Buchanan fol­lowed in to force the re­bound home.

Lewis Buchanan got his sec­ond with a well-worked goal on 75 min­utes. Nice one-touch shinty from Steven Sloss and Michael MacQueen cre­ated the open­ing and as keeper Pearce came out to clear the dan­ger, Buchanan nipped in to score.

Lochside’s Evan MacLel­lan on the wing de­serves men­tion for his per­for­mance.

With the Aberdein Con­si­dine Suther­land Cup fi­nal now un­likely to take place un­til mid- Septem­ber, Lochside will con­cen­trate on their league cam­paign dur­ing the weeks ahead.

Aber­dour 2 Kil­mory 2

A late Roddy MacColl goal earned Aber­dour a 2-2 draw with Kil­mory at Sil­ver­sands.

This was Aber­dour’s first match since the first day of July and they were miss­ing Alec Mitchell, Cammy MacCue and Craig Grant.

Kil­mory went into the game on a good run and were keen to fol­low up suc­ces­sive wins over Taynuilt, Tay­forth and Glenorchy.

Alis­tair MacArthur put Kil­mory ahead on 11 min­utes with a clin­i­cal fin­ish.

David MacKen­zie drew Aber­dour level on 25 min­utes when Roddy MacColl played him in to score af­ter good link-up play from An­gus Thor­burn and John Martin Philips.

Alex Cun­ning­ham re­stored Kil­mory’s lead with an­other good fin­ish on 40 min­utes and there were chances at both ends be­fore Roddy MacColl made it 2-2 with seven min­utes re­main­ing. An­gus Thor­burn’s pass picked out Aber­dour’s top scorer and MacColl took a touch round de­fender Bruce John­ston and his shot found the net off the keeper.

Aber­dour went for a late win­ner but Kil­mory worked hard and de­served the point which stretches their un­beaten run to four matches.

Aber­dour are now a point ahead of sec­ond-placed Lochside Rovers but they have played three games more.

Bute 5 Kyles Ath­letic 1

Bute beat the Kyles Ath­letic sec­ond team 5-1 at The Mead­ows to close the gap on third-placed Tay­forth to a sin­gle point.

Franco Devlin scored on seven and 15 min­utes for the home side with Ian McDon­ald adding a third on 35 min­utes.

Robert Walker on 70 min­utes and James Craig three min­utes later also counted for the hosts.

The Kyles goal was a well­struck penalty scored by Ge­orge Thom­son. Bute are now a point be­hind third-placed Tay­forth.

Glenorchy P Taynuilt P

The match be­tween Glenorchy and Taynuilt was post­poned as Mark Park was un­playable.

Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 Glen­garry 4 Lochcar­ron 0

Glen­garry ex­tended their lead at the top of Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 with a 4- 0 win over Lochcar­ron at Craigard.

Nick Dal­gety made the dif­fer­ence against his for­mer club as his goals on 12 and 19 min­utes made it 2- 0 at the break.

Nick Dal­gety com­pleted his hat-trick with a strike on 64 min­utes and Ray­mond Robert­son made it 4- 0 with a strike six min­utes from time.

Glen­garry are eight points ahead of the Lochaber sec­onds who have three games in hand.

The Caber­feidh sec­onds are also eight points be­hind but they have four games in hand.

Kil­mallie v Strath­spey W/O

The Kil­mallie sec­ond team were un­able to raise a team for their match against Strath­spey Ca­manachd at the Canal Parks so the vis­i­tors were awarded the points.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 Dunoon Ca­manachd P Oban Lorn P

The match be­tween Dunoon Ca­manachd and Oban Lorn at The Dunoon Sta­dium was post­poned as the field was un­playable.

WCA round-up

There were some Women’s Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion fix­tures last week­end.

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion 1

Aber­dour 0 Bade­noch & Strath­spey 6 Bade­noch & Strath­spey go two points clear at the top of the ta­ble af­ter they beat bot­tom side Aber­dour 6- 0 in their 1.30pm throw-up at Sil­ver­sands.

Zoe Reid grabbed a hat-trick whilst Eilidh Ross, Jeanette McGre­gor and Rona Ste­wart also scored.

Bade­noch & Strath­spey are two points ahead of sec­ond placed Lochaber who have two games in hand and four points ahead of third-placed Skye Ca­manachd who have three games in hand.

Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 Ard­na­mur­chan 11 Oban Lorn 0

Ard­na­mur­chan won the Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 ti­tle , main­tain­ing their 100 per cent record into the bar­gain, with an 11- 0 vic­tory over Oban Lorn in their 1pm throw-up at Stron­tian.

A great team per­for­mance saw Eilidh Ross score four times, An­nie Mac­Don­ald net­ted twice whilst Rachel Ford, Carolanne Cameron, Lil­i­jana Alexan­der, Kirsty Camp­bell and Gil­lian Gal­lacher got the oth­ers.

Ard­na­mur­chan have one league match re­main­ing, against sec­ond-placed Glas­gow Mid Ar- gyll in Glas­gow, with the match sched­uled for Sun­day Au­gust 20.

Cowal & Bute W/O v Lorn Ladies

Cowal & Bute were given a walk- over when Lorn Ladies were un­able to raise a team for their match.

Views on Ma­caulay Cup el­i­gi­bil­ity

The Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion has asked the Ma­caulay As­so­ci­a­tion to re­view its el­i­gi­bil­ity cri­te­ria for the Artemis Ma­caulay Cup com­pe­ti­tion.

The Ma­caulay As­so­ci­a­tion run tour­na­ment is unique in se­nior shinty in that the north and south teams are drawn against each other on a re­gional ba­sis; guar­an­tee­ing a north v south fi­nal which is held at Moss­field each year.

At present, the el­i­gi­bil­ity rules are straight for­ward in that the top eight teams from the north and south ar­eas from the Premier­ship, Na­tional Divi­sion, and North and South Di­vi­sions 1 at the end of the pre­vi­ous sea­son take part in the fol­low­ing year’s tour­na­ment.

How­ever, if there are eight north teams in the Premier­ship, they take up the full north al­lo­ca­tion. This hap­pened when Kil­mallie were pro­moted from the Na­tional Divi­sion at the end of the 2016 shinty sea­son. They were un­able to en­ter the Ma­caulay Cup as the eight Premier­ship clubs, in­clud­ing rel­e­gated Skye and Fort Wil­liam, took up all the north places.

Kil­mallie were also un­able to play in the Bal­liemore Cup as it is for clubs out­with shinty’s top flight so their cup ac­tion was re­stricted to the Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup and the MacTav­ish Cup.

The same sit­u­a­tion could arise this sea­son if north teams fin­ish in the first two places in the Na­tional Divi­sion as there are cur­rently seven north teams in the Premier­ship so only the Na­tional Divi­sion cham­pi­ons would qual­ify for the 2018 Artemis Ma­caulay Cup com­pe­ti­tion.

The Ca­manachd As­so­ci­a­tion has asked the Ma­caulay As­so­ci­a­tion to con­sider in some way in­cor­po­rat­ing the teams that are pro­moted to the Premier­ship each sea­son.

This could mean the in­tro­duc­tion of a Ma­caulay Cup play- off or a se­ries of play- offs in­clud­ing the pro­moted and rel­e­gated teams which would take place ahead of the first round proper.

The Ma­caulay As­so­ci­a­tion has yet to meet and dis­cuss this mat­ter but is in the process of can­vass­ing views so they can as­sess the feel­ings of the clubs in­volved be­fore mak­ing a fi­nal de­ci­sion.

Fix­tures Wed­nes­day Au­gust 9 Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1

Lochside Rovers v Kil­mory Wil­lie Mac­Don­ald

Satur­day Au­gust 12 Tul­loch Homes Ca­manachd Cup Semi Fi­nal

Oban Ca­manachd v Lo­vat Deek Cameron 4pm (at An Aird)

Strathdearn Cup Fi­nal

New­ton­more v Kin­gussie Scott McNeil - 3pm (at The Ei­lan, New­ton­more)

Ma­rine Har­vest Premier­ship

New­ton­more v Glas­gow MA Andy Ma­cLean - noon Kil­mallie v Lochaber Archie Ritchie - 1pm Kyles Ath­letic v Glenurquhart Gra­ham Cameron - 3pm

Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion

In­ver­aray v Caber­feidh Robert Bax­ter In­ver­ness v Skye Calum Gir­van Strath­glass v Fort Wil­liam John An­gus Gil­lies - 3pm

Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1

Glenurquhart v Fort Wil­liam Brian MacKay Skye v Beauly John Mathe­son

Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1

Bute v Col Glen Lachie Wood Glenorchy v Aber­dour Ross Brown Kyles Ath­letic v Bal­lachul­ish Ewan Mac­Don­ald - noon Taynuilt v Lochside Rovers Iain Kennedy - noon

Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2

In­ver­ness v Glen­garry Martin Ma­cLean - noon Kil­mallie v Lewis Des McNulty - 3pm Lochaber v Caber­feidh Innes Wood Lo­vat v Lochcar­ron Steven Ma­cLach­lan Strath­glass v Bole­sk­ine Ron­nie Camp­bell - noon

Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2

Aber­dour v Oban Lorn Neil Mac­Don­ald Glas­gow Mid Ar­gyll v Dunoon Euan Pear­son Stra­chur v In­ver­aray Gra­ham Fisher Throw-ups 2pm, un­less stated.


Fri­day Au­gust 4 Ma­rine Har­vest Premier­ship Kin­gussie 1 v 1 New­ton­more

Satur­day Au­gust 5 Bul­lough Cup Fi­nal

Stra­chur 0 v 3 In­ver­aray Ma­rine Har­vest Premier­ship Kin­lochshiel 5 v 0 Kil­mallie Glas­gow MA 0 v 5 Oban Ca­man Kyles Ath­letic 5 v 0 Lochaber Ma­rine Har­vest Na­tional Divi­sion Skye 6 v 0 Oban Celtic In­ver­aray 4 v 1 Fort Wil­liam Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 1 Aberdeen Uni 9 v 1 Fort Wil­liam Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 1 Aber­dour 2 v 2 Kil­mory Bal­lachul­ish 1 v 5 Lochside Glenorchy Pv P Taynuilt Un­playable field Bute 5 v 1 Kyles Ath­letic Ma­rine Har­vest North Divi­sion 2 Glen­garry 4 v 0 Lochcar­ron Kil­mallie Pv P Strath­spey Kil­mallie un­able to field a team. Points to Strath­spey Ma­rine Har­vest South Divi­sion 2 Dunoon Pv P Oban Lorn Un­playable field

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

A bit of a boorach dur­ing last Satur­day’s premier­ship match be­tween Kin­lochshiel and Kil­mallie. Left to right: Oliver Macrae, Kin­lochshiel, Alan Mac­don­ald, Kil­mallie, John Macrae, Kin­lochshiel, and Peter Carmichael, Kil­mallie, bat­tle for the ball.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

New­ton­more keeper Nor­man Camp­bell pre­vents Kin­gussie’s Lee Bain from get­ting a shot on tar­get.

Pho­to­graph: Neil Pater­son.

John­ston Gill, Kin­lochshiel man­ager, perched high to watch his team stay top of the Premier­ship.

Jim and June Pear­son cel­e­brated their Golden Wed­ding watch­ing their beloved Oban Celtic take on Skye in a Na­tional Divi­sion match at Pairc nan Laoch.

Lochside’s Evan McLen­nan and Duncan Mac­Don­ald of Bal­lachul­ish dur­ing last Wed­nes­day night’s South Divi­sion One game at the Ju­bilee which the Oban side won 5-1 to re­main top of the league.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.