Jail for man over taxi driver at­tack

The Peterborough Evening Telegraph - - Your - By KEN MCER­LAIN ken.mcer­lain@pe­ter­bor­oughto­day.co.uk @Etken­m­cer­lain

A VI­O­LENT thug who as­saulted a taxi driver and then sparked a po­lice hunt by go­ing on the run has been jailed for 15 months.

Cur­tis King (23) punched pri­vate hire driver Mo­hammed Fa­rooq (36) in a bru­tal as­sault in Peter­bor­ough, which also in­volved his sis­ter Tan­isha King, on June 4 last year.

Mr Fa­rooq was left with a frac­tured cheek, bruis­ing and frac­tured ribs.

Cur­tis King, a fork­lift truck driver, of Cavendish Street, Peter­bor­ough, went on the run on Fe­bru­ary 7 - just be­fore a jury at Hunt­ing­don Crown Court was about to de­liver its ver­dict at his trial.

Af­ter be­ing told ear­lier in the day he faced be­ing sent to prison if con­victed, he failed to an­swer bail to hear the jury’s guilty ver­dict – lead­ing Recorder Robert Blom­field to is­sue a war­rant for his ar­rest.

King handed him­self in at the city’s Thorpe Wood po­lice sta­tion four days later and was jailed for four weeks for fail­ing to an­swer bail.

He was then due to be sen­tenced on March 8 but the prison van he was trav­el­ling to court in got de­layed in heavy traf­fic on the A14.

As a re­sult King re­turned to the court yes­ter­day and was sen­tenced for 15 months in jail for the as­sault oc­ca­sion­ing ac­tual bod­ily harm on Mr Fa­rooq.

King’s sis­ter, mother-ofone Tan­isha King (24), also of Cavendish Street, was also con­victed of as­sault caus­ing ac­tual bod­ily harm against Mr Fa­rooq in the three-day trial, but was later spared jail.

Tan­isha King, who was preg­nant at the time of her sen­tenc­ing on March 8, fought back tears in the dock af­ter Recorder Blom­field asked her why she should not be sent to jail dur­ing the hear­ing.

King, who has pre­vi­ous con­vic­tions for vi­o­lence, said: “Be­cause of my baby. I’m not go­ing to be­have like this any more.”

She was given a sen­tence of nine months in prison sus­pended for two years.

She was also sen­tenced to a two-year su­per­vi­sion or­der and given a three-month cur­few or­der to stay at her home be­tween the hours of 9pm and 7am.

Dur­ing the at­tack, Mr Fa­rooq was punched by Tan­isha King, be­fore be­ing punched and knocked to the ground by Cur­tis King out­side Marisqueira cafe, on the corner of Rus­sell Street and Cromwell Road.

Cur­tis King then de­liv­ered a kick to the stricken taxi driver as he lay on the ground.

Both Cur­tis and Tan­isha King de­nied a charge of as­sault caus­ing ac­tual bod­ily harm but were found guilty by a jury fol­low­ing a trial.

JAILED: Cur­tis King.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.