Po­lice say jus­tice has been done

The Peterborough Evening Telegraph - - Uk&world Update -

DE­TEC­TIVES de­scribed Elvis Lee as a “con­trol­ling and vi­o­lent man” af­ter he was found guilty of mur­der­ing Tyler Whe­lan.

Su­per­in­ten­dent Si­mon Megicks, from Cam­bridgeshire po­lice, said it was “wicked” that Tyler had been killed by some­one who should have been caring for him.

He said: “This was a wicked crime in which an in­no­cent five-year-old was mur­dered by a per­son who should have been look­ing af­ter him.

“Lee is a con­trol­ling and vi­o­lent man who lost his tem­per and in­flicted fa­tal in­juries to Tyler. Whe­lan has been found to have al­lowed his death fol­low­ing these fa­tal in­juries – Tyler de­served more from his mother.

“Ev­ery child has the right to be pro­tected and feel safe in their own home and it is a par­ent’s re­spon­si­bil­ity to en­sure this is the case.”

Dur­ing the trial the jury were told that af­ter his ar­rest, Lee told po­lice he had not as­saulted Tyler in any way. He only ad­mit­ted bit­ing and kick­ing him shortly be­fore the start of the trial when he was pre­sented with the med­i­cal ev­i­dence.

It also heard how Lee made no com­ment dur­ing po­lice in­ter­views other than hand­ing them a pre­pared state­ment.

On the day of Tyler’s death he also took po­lice into the house and gave de­tec­tives an ex­pla­na­tion of how Tyler had fallen from the kitchen work sur­face.

Lee also told the jury that he had not told Whe­lan he had as­saulted her son un­til he gave his ad­mis­sions to the court.

Su­per­in­ten­dent Megicks said he was pleased that jus­tice had been done and hoped the ver­dicts would be able to bring “peace” to Tyler’s fam­ily. He also paid trib­ute to ev­ery­one who had worked on the case. THE FA­THER of mur­dered five-year-old Tyler Whe­lan has spo­ken of his “un­bear­able” loss fol­low­ing the death of his “fun-lov­ing” son who had an “amaz­ing smile”.

Shaun Har­ri­son, from Wi­gan, gave the state­ment out­side Cam­bridge Crown Court yes­ter­day af­ter Elvis Lee (34), of Crab­tree, Pas­ton, Peter­bor­ough, was con­victed of Tyler’s mur­der by a jury.

Tyler’s mum, Stephanie Whe­lan (27), who lived at Sheep­walk, Pas­ton, Peter­bor­ough at the time of his death on March 7 last year, was found guilty of al­low­ing the death of a child.

Dur­ing the trial, the court had heard how Tyler had vis­ited Mr Har­ri­son in Wi­gan in the two days be­fore he died, spend­ing time at the fair with his dad. Fol­low­ing the ver­dict he spoke of his mem­o­ries of the lively, smil­ing boy.

Mr Har­ri­son said: “The last year of my life has been un­bear­able. Tyler was a fun-lov­ing, mis­chievous lit­tle boy with a big heart and amaz­ing smile.

“I feel lost with­out him in my life and I still can’t be­lieve he’s gone.

“It hurts me that I will never get the chance to see him grow up and see the man he should have be­come.”

Mr Har­ri­son, who has been in court ev­ery day since the trial be­gan over three weeks ago, cheered as the jury de­liv­ered its ver­dicts but said he did not blame ei­ther Lee or Whe­lan’s fam­i­lies for what hap­pened and asked for time to grieve.

He said: “I have no mal­ice to­wards his or her fam­i­lies. Whe­lan and Lee are re­spon­si­ble for Tyler’s death, not their fam­i­lies.

“The trial is over and the jury has reached its ver­dict. I’d like to leave Tyler to rest in peace and for me and my fam­ily to be left to grieve.

“I’d like to thank all those in­volved in the case and the sup­port that they have given to me and my fam­ily.”

Tyler died on March 7 last year af­ter he was kicked at Lee’s house in Crab­tree.

Dur­ing the trial, the court had heard how Lee and Whe­lan had said Tyler had fallen from a kitchen work sur­face early in the morn­ing, af­ter try­ing to reach choco­late in one of the cup­boards.

Both de­fen­dants said he suf­fered a bleed­ing nose but other than a red mark to his belly, they did not see any other in­juries.

While Whe­lan was out of the house tak­ing Tyler’s sis­ter to school and book­ing a doc­tor’s ap­point­ment for her son, Lee lost his tem­per with Tyler. He bit him on the leg, be­fore kick­ing him two feet across the liv­ing room be­cause the five-year-old had been hid­ing from him.

Lee, who pleaded guilty to man­slaugh­ter but de­nied mur­der, said fol­low­ing the kick Tyler had crashed into a door frame.

Whe­lan and Lee both said that Tyler had eaten break­fast ce­real – although med­i­cal ev­i­dence showed there was no sign of any food in his di­ges­tive sys­tem.

They told the court Tyler had got­ten into bed with the cou­ple later in the morn­ing and while he was in bed, Whe­lan spot­ted marks on Tyler’s belly which she thought was in­ter­nal bleed­ing.

The cou­ple put the boy in the car to take him to hospi­tal but he col­lapsed while on the way. Whe­lan made a 999 call to the emer­gency ser­vices in a panic and both Lee and Whe­lan tried to re­sus­ci­tate him.

De­spite des­per­ate ef­forts to save Tyler’s life by sur­geons last­ing for 25 min­utes, Tyler was de­clared dead at Peter­bor­ough City Hospi­tal at 11.25am, just over two hours af­ter Lee said the as­sault took place.

Post-mortem re­sults re­vealed Tyler had died af­ter he suf­fered a split small bowel and bleed­ing on the brain caused by “blunt force trauma”.

The court was also told Tyler had a cat­a­logue of other bruises, which med­i­cal ex­perts said would have been caused by a num­ber of im­pacts.

Both Lee and Whe­lan were found not guilty of two counts of cru­elty to a child.

Lee will be sen­tenced at Cam­bridge Crown Court to­mor­row, while Whe­lan will be sen­tenced in June af­ter pre-sen­tence re­ports are pre­pared.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.