Tarft quits af­ter half a cen­tury

The Peterborough Evening Telegraph - - Neighbourhood News -

REL­E­GATED Al­con­bury have been rocked by the res­ig­na­tion of gen­eral man­ager Mick Tarft af­ter more than half a cen­tury with the club.

Tarft’s exit has ar­rived to­wards the end of a tor­rid sea­son in which Al­con­bury have won just two Premier Di­vi­sion games and are ma­rooned at the base­ment by 16 points.

He had be­come dis­il­lu­sioned with the at­ti­tude of play­ers and made the decision to de­part af­ter the club failed to ful­fil a mid­week fix­ture at Crow­land.

Tarft said: “I’ve had enough and packed it in on Tues­day. We had four play­ers drop out on the day of a game and no-one is pre­pared to take re­spon­si­bil­ity for their ac­tions.

“I’m fed up with peo­ple com­mu­ni­cat­ing by text mes­sage these days. No-one ever rings me up and I can’t ever get hold of any­one on the phone. I’ve had over 50 years at Al­con­bury but that’s it for me now.”

Re­serve boss Mick Hunt took charge of the club’s 8-2 home loss at the hands of Lev­er­ing­ton at the week­end.

COATES boss Gary Munns in­sists an in­flux of new play­ers is re­quired.

The vil­lage lads could slip out of the top half of the Premier Di­vi­sion ta­ble af­ter a ma­jor slump in the sec­ond half of the sea­son. A 4-2 loss at the hands of Nether­ton on Satur­day was a third suc­ces­sive de­feat.

Munns said: “I’m dis­ap­pointed with the way this sea­son has fiz­zled out. The in­ter­est seems to have dis­ap­peared for sev­eral play­ers.

“Other teams are show­ing the mo­ti­va­tion that we’re lack­ing and that’s be­ing re­flected in our re­sults.

“It is some­thing we have to change for next sea­son and we need some new im­pe­tus on the play­ing side.”

Striker Mark New­ton re­tained his po­si­tion at the top of the Premier Di­vi­sion scor­ing charts with a brace that took his sea­sonal tally to 22.

But two Kam­ran Khan goals and oth­ers from Ash Jack­son and Paul Clark con­demned Coates to de­feat.

Nether­ton boss Johnny Byrne said: “We asked the play­ers to bounce back from the PFA Se­nior Cup final de­feat and fin­ish­ing the sea­son as strongly as we pos­si­bly could. Two wins since then is tes­ta­ment to their char­ac­ter and at­ti­tude.”

DEEP­ING Rangers Re­serves suf­fered two de­feats in­side 24 hours.

Andy Bai­ley’s men went down 2-1 to Black­stones Re­serves in the An­caster Cup final on Fri­day night and were then beaten 3-0 by Peter­bor­ough Sports in a Premier Di­vi­sion con­test the fol­low­ing af­ter­noon.

Bai­ley said: “Noth­ing went for us in the final. We dom­i­nated, but hit the post three times and had an­other shot cleared off the line.

“It’s un­be­liev­able that we were still ex­pected to play on Satur­day. It’s not some­thing I was happy about even though we have noth­ing left to play for in the league.

“I re­ally had to throw in a lot of ‘A’ team play­ers and young­sters and they ac­quit­ted them­selves well.”

Deep­ing kept Sports at bay un­til the final minute of the first half when On­dre Odain scored. He grabbed a sec­ond (his 15th in just 14 ap­pear­ances for the city team) af­ter the break with Ad­die Staffieri also scor­ing.

Sports boss Chris Bartlett said: “Fin­ish­ing in the top six was al­ways the aim and this three points en­sured that will hap­pen.” PREMIER Di­vi­sion ti­tle glory has served only to in­crease Pinch­beck’s hunger for higher-level foot­ball.

The Lin­colnshire club com­pleted an hon­ours dou­ble on Satur­day when fol­low­ing up a PFA Se­nior Cup triumph by clinch­ing a first ti­tle since the early 1990s.

Pinch­beck cap­tured the league crown with a 4-2 vic­tory at sole chal­lengers Kings Cliffe on Satur­day and player-boss Ian Dunn, who was among their scor­ers, in­sists the only dis­ap­point­ment is that they can’t se­cure pro­mo­tion to the United Coun­ties League.

Pinch­beck did have an ap­pli­ca­tion to rise into the UCL ac­cepted but it was scrapped af­ter be­ing based on play­ing their home matches at the Sir Hal­ley Ste­wart Play­ing Field in Spald­ing - a venue whose fu­ture is up in the air.

Dunn said: “The league ta­ble doesn’t lie and that proves we de­serve to be cham­pi­ons, but it is a shame that we can’t go up.

“We’re an am­bi­tious club and that’s some­thing we showed by ap­ply­ing to go up into the UCL. We’ll have to go back to the draw­ing board and see what we can do on that front.

“It might be the case that we can do some work at our cur­rent ground or we might have to look for other op­tions, but it’s def­i­nitely some­thing my­self and the play­ers want to hap­pen.

“I have no doubt we have the mak­ings of a team that could com­pete well at a higher-level but first and fore­most we have to con­cen­trate on com­ing back and de­fend­ing this ti­tle next sea­son.”

Pinch­beck were handed the per­fect start on Satur­day when wide­man Dan Woods set them on their way to suc­cess with an early cracker.

Striker Tom Gosling pounced on a re­bound to dou­ble the ad­van­tage but a host of other ex­cel­lent chances went beg­ging in the open­ing pe­riod and Stu ‘ Skippy’ Ad­di­nall nod­ded Cliffe back into the con­test on the stroke of half-time.

A smart Dunn fin­ish early in the sec­ond pe­riod re­stored the two-goal cush­ion but it was soon halved again by Cliffe skip­per Phil An­der­son.

That was the cue for the hosts to ap­ply plenty of pres­sure but they couldn’t find an­other way through and Pinch­beck set­tled the is­sue when Dan Mad­di­son con­verted a last-gasp penalty af­ter Gosling had been up­ended by Cliffe keeper Rob­bie Vir­gin. An­der­son re­ceived his march­ing or­ders from ref­eree Karl Fawcett for con­test­ing the award of the spot-kick.

Cliffe chief Alex Brown was left with a mix­ture of dis­ap­point­ment and pride af­ter see­ing his side’s valiant chal­lenge come to an end in their de­but Premier Di­vi­sion sea­son.

Brown said: “I re­ally wanted the lads to go out there with all guns blaz­ing and have a real go at Pinch­beck, but we never re­ally left the dress­ing room.

“We did well to get back in at just 2-1 down at half-time and I was much hap­pier with what we pro­duced in the sec­ond half. We ap­plied plenty of pres­sure and had them on the rack at times, but the dam­age had re­ally been done by not per­form­ing in the first pe­riod.

“Peo­ple have said this is the hard­est Premier Di­vi­sion there has been for years so we have to be proud of the fact that we have com­peted at the top end in our first sea­son at this level and we have a great plat­form on and off the pitch to en­joy suc­cess in the fu­ture.”

And Brown has chal­lenged his play­ers to bounce back by emerg­ing vic­to­ri­ous in a fran­tic end-of-sea­son race for sec­ond place.

Any one of five teams - Cliffe, Moul­ton Har­rox, Eye Sports, Peter­bor­ough Sports and Nether­ton - could still fol­low Pinch­beck home go­ing into the final few matches of the cam­paign.

Brown, whose side host Har­rox tonight and Eye on Satur­day, added: “We need to sew up sec­ond spot be­cause I want to have an­other crack at Pinch­beck in the Jack Hogg Tro­phy at the start of next sea­son.”

HON­OURS DOU­BLE: Pinch­beck cel­e­brate their 4-2 win over Kings Cliffe which sealed the league ti­tle. Picture: STEVE RELF

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.