Ospreys slammed for lack of ef­fort in Mun­ster no-show

The Rugby Paper - - News - ■ By ALEX BYWATER

OSPREYS head coach Steve Tandy ac­cused his play­ers of a lack of ef­fort at a rain-soaked Lib­erty Sta­dium.

Tries from man of the match Jean Kleyn and wing Darren Sweet­nam – plus 11 points from fly-half Tyler Bleyen­daal – gave the Ir­ish raiders vic­tory.

James Hook scored a sub­lime solo try for the Ospreys and Sam Davies kicked a con­ver­sion and three penal­ties, but it only meant the home side ended with a los­ing bonus point.

Watch­ing Wales coach­ing trio War­ren Gat­land, Rob How­ley and Robin McBryde can’t have been too im­pressed and nei­ther was Tandy.

He said: “It’s not good enough and our ap­pli­ca­tion wasn’t there. There is a lot of soul search­ing and we have to take a long, hard look at our­selves.

“That per­for­mance was nowhere near where we want to be or close to the sort of level we want to pro­duce. There was a to­tal lack of en­ergy and we just couldn’t get any pos­ses­sion.

“I can han­dle los­ing games, but there was a lack of ap­pli­ca­tion in the first 40 min­utes and I’m strug­gling to put my fin­ger on why. We knew what Mun­ster were go­ing to bring, but we just didn’t deal with it. We got one point out of the game, but if we had won, it would have been a rob­bery.”

The first ten min­utes were all Mun­ster, but skip­per Bleyen­daal missed with two early penalty ef­forts.

He was suc­cess­ful at the third time of try­ing. Ospreys hit back im­me­di­ately, promptly go­ing up the other end and see­ing Hook dance through three tack­les to make it to the line.

Davies added the ex­tras, but that only en­raged Mun­ster and Kleyn was driven over from close range be­fore a clean line break from cen­tre Chris Far­rell laid the plat­form from which Sweet­nam fin­ished in the cor­ner.

Bleyen­daal added the con­ver­sion to the first of those scores for a 15-7 Mun­ster lead at the break. The heav­ens opened at the start of the se­cond pe­riod, lim­it­ing at­tack­ing rugby. Davies and Bleyen­daal swapped kicks, but two more penal­ties from Davies kept the Ospreys in the game.

That they got to within two points was a sur­prise given Mun­ster’s power in the tight five and Tandy’s in­tro­duc­tion of re­place­ments Scott Bald­win and Nicky Smith played a part in that.

Dan Ly­di­ate – on his first

ap­pear­ance in more than 10 months – also put in a de­cent shift in the 52 min­utes he was on the field af­ter be­ing pro­moted from the bench fol­low­ing James King’s with­drawal due to ill­ness.

But on the whole, the Ospreys were out­worked and if there’s one thing you can never ac­cuse a Mun­ster side of, it’s putting in the hard yards.

Led by man of the match Kleyn, the Ir­ish­men kept things tight in the fi­nal ten min­utes, re­fused to panic, and got their re­wards when home prop Smith was pe­nalised in front of his own posts.

Bleyen­daal stepped up to nail the sim­ple kick and con­sign the Ospreys to their se­cond suc­ces­sive de­feat. Mun­ster, mean­while, have now won all three of their games to sit top of Con­fer­ence A.

Their head coach Rassie Eras­mus was still not happy with what he’d seen and chal­lenged his play­ers to im­prove fur­ther.

He said: “We made a lot of er­rors, but we man­aged to grind out the win. We have a lot of work to do if we are go­ing to beat Glas­gow next week. It was a very scrappy game and we played un­der par, par­tic­u­larly in the se­cond half.

“I was very con­cerned at that point as we kept mak­ing a num­ber of in­di­vid­ual er­rors. There are plenty of things to sort, but I’m pleased to get the win.”

PIC­TURE: Huw Evans

Full stretch: James Hook scores for Ospreys

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.