Chuter left sat­is­fied at his five-star high-fly­ers

Ot­ley ...................... 15pts Hinck­ley .............. 38pts

The Rugby Paper - - National League 2 North - ■ By NICK DOYLE

GE­ORGE Chuter hailed the re­solve of his Hinck­ley play­ers af­ter they fought to vic­tory at a bat­tling Ot­ley.

The vis­i­tors ran in five tries as they re­main sec­ond in the di­vi­sion and keep up the pres­sure on lead­ers Stour­bridge, while Ot­ley only have Sh­effield and Wharfedale be­low them in the di­vi­sion.

Hinck­ley rarely looked trou­bled, de­spite hav­ing strug­gled at this ground in the past, and Chuter was sat­is­fied with his side’s res­o­lute dis­play.

“It is al­ways a tough place to come to, and last year Ot­ley won at Cross Green,” he ex­plained.

“It was good to get five points here, and while there are ar­eas we need to work on, I was re­ally pleased with the way the lads stuck to their task.”

The hosts had the ma­jor­ity of the ter­ri­tory for the first ten min­utes, but could not take ad­van­tage of their pos­ses­sion.

As the vis­i­tors came into the game, led by Gareth Turner, an Ot­ley kick up­field was picked up by Cal­lum Dacey.

From his own half, Dacey ran through to score, giv­ing Joe Glover an easy con­ver­sion.

Ot­ley re­sponded straight away when Hinck­ley failed to gather the kick-off and then col­lapsed the scrum. Joe Rown­tree stepped up to score, al­though this penalty was can­celled out by a Hinck­ley three-pointer shortly af­ter.

The vis­i­tors ex­tended their lead two min­utes later when Sa­muel Driver set up Mitchell Lamb to cross close to the posts, Dacey con­vert­ing this time.

The next quar­ter saw both sides have chances but not be­ing able to con­vert them into points.

It was not un­til the fi­nal min­utes of the half when Driver ran around the Ot­ley de­fence from 25 me­tres, and Glover’s con­ver­sion made the half-time score 3-24.

Ot­ley got a try on 50 min­utes fol­low­ing pres­sure on both sides of the Hinck­ley line, Nick Cou­p­land putting the re­turn­ing Tom O’Don­nell over in the corner.

Fol­low­ing a switched kick at the restart to change the em­pha­sis of the vis­i­tors’ at­tack, Hinck­ley laid siege to Ot­ley’s de­fence and they even­tu­ally found the gap they needed, Luke Colt­man go­ing over to se­cure the bonus point for the vis­i­tors.

Hinck­ley con­tin­ued to as­sert their dom­i­nance, push­ing the nor­mally re­silient Ot­ley pack back­wards, and their per­sis­tence was re­warded when Tom Wheatcroft cut through the home de­fence to dot down.

For the last 15 min­utes Ot­ley ral­lied to try and get some­thing out of the game, and hav­ing got into their 22 they did man­age to stretch Hinck­ley, but the ball was even­tu­ally ripped from their grasp and the at­tack came to noth­ing.

In the fi­nal mo­ments, a run by Chris­tian Pollock down the left-hand side gave the home side the chance they needed.

From a li­ne­out a few me­tres out, they rum­bled on and Hinck­ley could only stop it by pulling it down, ref­eree David Charl­ton award­ing a penalty try as the home side sal­vaged some pride.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.