Un­beat­able ac­tion


Don’ t miss an­other un­beat­able range of­sp0rts ac­tion and images this week.

Scar­bor­ough trav­elled to Bev­er­ley’s Beaver Park ground know­ing only a win would keep them in the race for a play-off place in York­shire One.

How­ever they were beaten and slipped out of pro­mo­tion con­tention de­spite par­tic­i­pat­ing in a game that would have pleased the neu­trals in the crowd.

The vis­i­tors opened the scor­ing with a long-dis­tance Tom Har­ri­son penalty with only three min­utes played and a fur­ther ex­change of kicks be­tween Bev­er­ley full-back Jamie Gill and Har­ri­son saw Scar­bor­ough lead 6-3 af­ter 15 min­utes.

Not for the first time this sea­son, Scar­bor­ough looked sluggish in the first half and their de­fen­sive line speed and ap­par­ent lack of en­ergy at the break­down was in stark con­trast to the slick han­dling and move­ment of a buzzing Bev­er­ley out­fit.

It was there­fore no sur­prise when the home side scored the first try of the game in the 20th minute, wing Luke Hazell pow­er­ing over to round off a move in­volv­ing quick hands on the Bev­er­ley left flank.

Full-back Gill added the ex­tras for a 10-6 lead.

And things got worse for the lack­lus­tre Seasiders two min­utes later when cen­tre Ja­cob Holmes burst through the cen­tre on the vis­i­tor’s 22 to cross and stretch the lead to 15-6. Gill missed the con­ver­sion.

Strug­gling at the set-pieces and un­able to match the pace of the home side in the loose, Scar­bor­ough were frankly a bit of a rab­ble in the sec­ond quar­ter and were for­tu­nate to reach the break with­out con­ced­ing an­other score.

Hav­ing never looked like scor­ing a first-half try and then be­ing re­duced to 14 men af­ter the sin-bin­ning of back row re­place­ment Devin Ibanez on the stroke of half-time, things got worse for Scar­bor­ough just af­ter the break.

They were pe­nalised just in­side their own 10-me­tre line and Gill hoofed over the longdis­tance kick for 18-6.

Hav­ing run in tries for fun dur­ing most of their pre­ced­ing four games, the Seasiders were up to their el­bows in de­fen­sive work, no more so than young back-row Drew Govier, who grafted with real pur­pose.

How­ever, even he couldn’t stem the tide and fol­low­ing ex­tended pres­sure on the vis­i­tors’ line, Bev­er­ley num­ber eight Isaac Keigh­ley touched down from close-range in the 55th minute. Gill con­verted to stretch the lead to 25-6.

It looked as if it was go­ing to be a long af­ter­noon for the men from Sil­ver Royd, but they came back with a flour­ish when they got the bit be­tween their teeth in the fourth quar­ter, at last get­ting their run­ning game go­ing.

In­ci­sive run­ning through cen­tre Gra­ham Hogg and Har­ri­son started to stretch the home de­fence and a deft pass from Hogg re­leased Loni Loni to scam­per over near the right cor­ner flag in the 61st minute.

Har­ri­son, who is in fine form kick­ing off the ground, stroked the touch­line con­ver-

sion over to re­duce the ar­rears at 25-13.

With their tails up, Scar­bor­ough com­bined for­wards and backs through the mid­dle to send Faa­mau crash­ing over two min­utes later.

Har­ri­son kicked an­other dif­fi­cult con­ver­sion and it was game-on at 25-20.

The Beavers were rat­tled and lost their com­po­sure as they re­alised that from a com­fort­able lead they were now less than a score in front of the vis­i­tors.

Scar­bor­ough con­tin­ued to turn the screw, but let their op­po­nents off the hook con­ced­ing a num­ber of need­less penal­ties, one of which Gill slot­ted from long-range to pro­vide a cush­ion at 28-20 in the 70th minute.

Scar­bor­ough drove deep into the home 22 and Loni Loni, who was in pun­ish­ing sec­ond-half form, was stopped just short when his sec­ond try was on the cards.

How­ever, the Seasiders con­ceded an­other penalty and Gill hoisted a huge up-and-un­der which alighted just in­side the vis­i­tor’s half.

As two de­fend­ers ca­su­alty con­tem­plated what they were go­ing to do, Luke Hazell strolled be­tween them, fielded the ball and gal­loped over.

Full-back Gill added the ex­tras for 35-20 on 74 min­utes.

To their credit, Scar­bor­ough never gave up the ghost and good work be­tween for­wards and backs sent Nino Cutino in be­tween the up­rights in the 79th minute.

Har­ri­son con­verted for 3527, but it was much too lit­tle and cer­tainly too late.

There were no­table in­di­vid­ual per­for­mances and again young Govier was ex­cep­tional.

Else­where, up-front num­ber eight Faa­mau and Cutino passed muster.

Be­hind them, the pick of the bunch were sub­sti­tute Hogg, Har­ri­son and Loni Loni.

So this sea­son of in­con­sis­tent per­for­mance con­tin­ues with coach Lee Dou­glas’ charges un­able to stretch a win­ning run past four games.

This plus the in­abil­ity to per­form for most of the 80 min­utes of any sin­gle game is not a recipe for pro­mo­tion.

Joint man of the match Loni Loni charges at the Bev­er­ley backs dur­ing Scar­bor­ough RUFC’s 35-27 de­feat in what was his last ap­pear­ance for the club Pic­tures by Andy Stand­ing

Gra­ham Hogg looks to shift the ball on dur­ing Scar­bor­ough’s dis­ap­point­ing 35-27 de­feat at Beaver Park on Satur­day

Tom Har­ri­son charges for­ward

Club stal­wart Chris Purdy looks to hand off a Bev­er­ley tack­ler

South African prop Nino Cutino touched down in Scar­bor­ough’s win

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.