Boro make ri­vals pay the penalty

The Scarborough News - - NEWS - By Mar­tin Dowey Mar­ Twit­ter: @SN_S­port

The east coast In­te­gro Cup bat­tle be­tween Scar­bor­ough Ath­letic and Whitby Town was de­cided by penal­ties on Tues­day night.

The east coast In­te­gro Cup bat­tle be­tween Scar­bor­ough Ath­letic and Whitby Town was de­cided by penal­ties on Tues­day night, with Steve Kit­trick’s men ad­vanc­ing.

The game was finely bal­anced at 1-1 af­ter a thrilling 90 min­utes of ac­tion, but it was Boro who kept it to­gether when it mat­tered, al­low­ing them to march on.

Boro were handed a num­ber of per­son­nel blows as they looked to bounce back from the dis­ap­point­ment of Satur­day.

Wayne Brooksby, James Cad­man, Ross Kil­lock and Nathan Valen­tine were ruled out, while Kev Burgess and Luke Dean could only take a place on the bench.

The game al­most got away to a dis­as­trous start for the hosts as well, with a mixup be­tween Tommy Tay­lor and Bai­ley Gooda leav­ing the ball rolling to­wards the Boro goal. Tay­lor got back in time to scoop it into his arms.

More con­cern fol­lowed for the hosts, Tay­lor mak­ing a fine dou­ble save from the pacy Ju­nior Mon­dal, then Jimmy Bea­dle col­lected in the box, but sliced wide.

James Wal­shaw slammed in a shot that was saved by the foot of Adam McHugh as a few promis­ing signs be­gan.

And soon af­ter it was Boro who got off the mark in the derby clash.

Wal­shaw was picked out in the box and his flick landed at the feet of Michael Coul­son, he made no mis­take from eight yards.

The lead didn’t last long though, and as pre­dicted, it was for­mer Boro man Bea­dle who found the net.

Bea­dle ma­rauded onto the ball af­ter Tay­lor had saved from Dale Hop­son and he crashed home to re­store equi­lib­rium.

That was all the first half had to of­fer, but the sec­ond be­gan with a bang.

Some out­landish trick­ery from Luke Lofts guided him free of three Whitby de­fend­ers, but his shot was bril­liantly tipped over by McHugh.

Then, at the other end, Mon­dal glided onto a ball in the box and drilled an ef­fort just past the post.

Boro keeper Tay­lor was kept the busier in the mo­ments that fol­lowed, sav­ing bril­liantly from Lewis Maloney and then push­ing away sweet strikes from Hop­son and Adam Gell.

Luke Lofts took cen­tre stage af­ter this, and af­ter more sharp foot­work in­side the box, his low strike was de­flected against the post.

Boro con­trolled the lat­ter stages of nor­mal time, but it was Whitby who had the bet­ter chances.

Bai­ley Gooda made a bril­liant sav­ing-tackle and then Tay­lor once again did well to keep out a loop­ing Maloney ef­fort.

The derby came down to penal­ties in the end and it was Boro who held their nerve.

Wal­shaw, Matty Dixon, Lofts and Luke Dean all found the net, while Tay­lor’s save and a missed ef­fort spelt the end of Whitby’s run in the com­pe­ti­tion.

James Wal­shaw fires a shot at the Whitby goal dur­ing Boro’s win against their east coast ri­vals Pic­tures by Brian Mur­field

For­mer Boro man Jimmy Bea­dle cel­e­brates his goal for Whitby

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.