Mother tells of re­lief af­ter son’s killer is found guilty

● Teenager con­victed of cul­pa­ble homi­cide

The Scotsman - - Around Scotland - By ANDY SHIPLEY and GARY FITZPATRICK

The griev­ing mother of tragic foot­baller Shaun Wood­burn has spo­ken of her re­lief at his killer be­ing found guilty but said noth­ing would bring back her son.

Denise Syme spoke af­ter the 17-year-old, who had been charged with Mr Wood­burn’s mur­der, was con­victed of the lesser charge of cul­pa­ble homi­cide fol­low­ing a trial at the High Court in Dun­fermline.

The teenager, who can­not be named for le­gal rea­sons, was a 16-year-old school­boy when he de­liv­ered the fa­tal blow out­side a Leith pub at the end of a vi­o­lent Hog­manay ram­page across the cap­i­tal.

Mrs Syme, who found the 17-day trial too up­set­ting to at­tend, said: “I’m just glad it’s all over as re­liv­ing Shaun’s death all over again has been a night­mare for all of the fam­ily.

“I’m glad he has been found guilty but noth­ing is go­ing to bring my lovely boy back.”

The de­tec­tive who led the in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the death said last night that his thoughts were with Mr Wood­burn’s fam­ily and told how he hoped the ver­dict would give them some sort of clo­sure. The jury took four hours to find the youth guilty of killing Mr Wood­burn by punch­ing him, caus­ing him to fall to the ground and hit his head on the pave­ment.

For­mer Bon­nyrigg Rose star Mr Wood­burn, 30, suf­fered mas­sive head in­juries in the fall, dur­ing a mass brawl out­side Glad­stones bar in the early hours of New Year’s Day.

Mr Wood­burn, who lived in Cler­mis­ton with his part­ner, Ni­cole, and their young daugh­ter, was rushed to the city’s Royal In­fir­mary but died a few hours later. The court heard how the youth had been drink­ing and caus­ing trou­ble on the streets of Ed­in­burgh as crowds cel­e­brated Hog­manay. Be­fore the bells, he punched stu­dent Hugh Cullen, 22, who had wished him “Happy New Year” – break­ing mul­ti­ple bones in his face.

He then con­tin­ued to at­tack ran­dom strangers along with friend Mo­hammed Zakariyah. The youth ad­mit­ted as­sault­ing five other peo­ple in the streets of Ed­in­burgh that night. He has been in cus­tody since the in­ci­dent and will be sen­tenced at the High Court in Glas­gow on 8 Novem­ber. Zakariyah, 19, who ad­mit­ted two sep­a­rate as­saults, will also be sen­tenced then.

A third man, Mar­cus Brown, 18, was ac­quit­ted of the seven charges he faced.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.