Harry and Meghan cast out

Duke and Duchess will no longer use HRH ti­tles af­ter quit­ting royal du­ties Prince loses mil­i­tary roles and must re­pay £2.4m spent on Frog­more Cot­tage They will al­ways be much loved mem­bers of my fam­ily, says Queen

The Sunday Telegraph - - Front Page - By Vic­to­ria Ward

THE Duke and Duchess of Sus­sex will no longer use their HRH ti­tles or for­mally rep­re­sent the Queen, Buck­ing­ham Palace an­nounced last night, as the Royal fam­ily sev­ered all of­fi­cial ties with the cou­ple.

A seis­mic state­ment fol­low­ing days of fran­tic ne­go­ti­a­tions re­vealed that their de­par­ture from public life would be much more com­plete than was pre­vi­ously thought.

The cou­ple will re­pay the £2.4mil­lion of tax­pay­ers’ money used to re­fur­bish Frog­more Cot­tage, their Wind­sor home, and will pay com­mer­cial rent on the prop­erty, which they will con­tinue to use as their UK base, it was con­firmed af­ter five days of talks.

As they will no longer be work­ing mem­bers of the Royal fam­ily, the Sus­sexes will not re­ceive public funds for royal du­ties and the Duke has been forced to give up his much-cher­ished mil­i­tary pa­tron­ages, in­clud­ing his rank as cap­tain gen­eral of the Royal Marines.

Aides dis­closed that the cou­ple would spend most of their time in North Amer­ica and would be free to earn their own money.

Royal sources also ad­mit­ted that the cou­ple, who will be styled Harry, Duke of Sus­sex and Meghan, Duchess of Sus­sex, may have to give up their Sus­sex Royal brand­ing – used ex­ten­sively on so­cial me­dia and their new web­site and which re­mains an is­sue “yet to be ironed out”.

A state­ment re­leased by Buck­ing­ham Palace at 6.30pm yes­ter­day laid bare the mag­ni­tude of their split from the House of Wind­sor, mak­ing clear that they were not be­ing al­lowed to adopt the “half-in, half-out” ap­proach they had wanted on an­nounc­ing their in­ten­tion to “step back” as se­nior mem­bers of the Royal fam­ily.

An up­date on the cou­ple’s web­site last night ap­peared to ac­knowl­edge that the in­ten­tions they had de­clared as fact some 10 days ago would now have to be amended. It said that “in­for­ma­tion on the roles and work of The Duke and Duchess of Sus­sex” would be up­dated in due course.

The Queen last night ex­pressed her re­lief that an agree­ment had been reached. “I am pleased that we have found a con­struc­tive and sup­port­ive way for­ward for my grand­son and his fam­ily,” she said. “Harry, Meghan and Archie will al­ways be much loved mem­bers of my fam­ily. I recog­nise the chal­lenges they have ex­pe­ri­enced as a re­sult of in­tense scru­tiny over the last two years and sup­port their wish for a more in­de­pen­dent life.”

The Queen said she was “par­tic­u­larly proud” of how the Duchess had so quickly be­come a part of the fam­ily. Her Majesty had made it clear she wanted the is­sue dealt with “at pace” – within days rather than weeks – and was keen to en­sure the furore did not over­shadow royal du­ties.

The de­ci­sions about their fu­ture were reached af­ter five days of talks in­volv­ing se­nior aides work­ing on be­half of the Queen, the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Cam­bridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sus­sex. Sources in­sisted that the ne­go­ti­a­tions had been

“ex­tremely friendly and con­struc­tive” with a “clear com­mon goal” and that all sides were “pleased” with the out­come.

The state­ment re­leased by Buck­ing­ham Palace said that “with the Queen’s bless­ing” the Sus­sexes would con­tinue to main­tain their pri­vate pa­tron­ages and as­so­ci­a­tions.

Aides re­fused to be drawn on se­cu­rity ar­range­ments for the cou­ple, adding: “There are well es­tab­lished in­de­pen­dent pro­cesses to de­ter­mine the need for pub­licly-funded se­cu­rity.”

The cou­ple will still re­ceive “pri­vate fi­nan­cial sup­port” from the Prince of Wales, although sources sug­gested that this would not nec­es­sar­ily be fund­ing de­rived from his Duchy of Corn­wall es­tate. Aides rep­re­sent­ing all se­nior roy­als in­volved in the ne­go­ti­a­tions will re­view the new ar­range­ments in a year’s time, giv­ing both sides an op­por­tu­nity to make changes to the his­toric deal. It is un­der­stood that this will in­volve the Queen,

‘I am pleased we have found a con­struc­tive and sup­port­ive way for­ward for my grand­son and his fam­ily’

Prince Charles, Wil­liam and Harry. As they will no longer rep­re­sent the Queen, the Sus­sexes are not ex­pected to un­der­take any more royal tours or ap­pear at of­fi­cial royal en­gage­ments but they will hap­pily at­tend Royal fam­ily events at the in­vi­ta­tion of Her Majesty.

The state­ment re­leased by Buck­ing­ham Palace added: “While they can no longer for­mally rep­re­sent The Queen, the Sus­sexes have made clear that ev­ery­thing they do will con­tinue to up­hold the val­ues of Her Majesty.”

A se­nior aide added: “There was ac­cep­tance and un­der­stand­ing of what the Sus­sexes want to achieve, and a gen­uine wish to come up with a way of work­ing that will sup­port their new way of life.”

Fur­ther­more, the Royal fam­ily will have no over­sight on any com­mer­cial deals the Sus­sexes may strike. A source said: “The spirit of this agree­ment al­lows them to pur­sue fi­nan­cial in­de­pen­dence.”

No com­mer­cial agree­ments have yet been signed, but last night Jonathan Shalit, one of the UK’s most suc­cess­ful celebrity agents, pre­dicted that the

Sus­sexes would be­come a “bil­lion­dol­lar brand”.

“Never has a mem­ber of the Bri­tish Royal fam­ily been avail­able in the com­mer­cial mar­ket place,” he said.

The Duke and Duchess are thought to have plot­ted their es­cape from the Royal fam­ily dur­ing a six-week sab­bat­i­cal on Van­cou­ver Is­land in Canada.

The Duchess made a three-day visit to the UK ear­lier this month be­fore re­turn­ing to be re­united with their eight-month-old son, Archie, whom they left be­hind.

The Duke is ex­pected to re­turn to Canada to­wards the end of next week.

The new ar­range­ments will come into force at some point in the spring although many com­plex de­tails are yet to be an­nounced, in­clud­ing the cou­ple’s tax and im­mi­gra­tion sta­tus.

Penny Junor, the royal bi­og­ra­pher, said the res­o­lu­tion rep­re­sented “the best pos­si­ble out­come and an out­come which will ac­tu­ally avoid catas­tro­phe”.

But Christo­pher Wil­son, a royal his­to­rian, claimed the Queen’s “sweet” state­ment hid her “bit­ter­ness, dis­ap­point­ment and hurt”, say­ing the Duke had taken a “wreck­ing-ball to the Royal fam­ily’s global rep­u­ta­tion for duty and ser­vice”. “The dam­age he’s done is colos­sal,” he added.

‘While they can no longer rep­re­sent her, ev­ery­thing they do will up­hold the val­ues of Her Majesty’

The Duke and Duchess of Sus­sex, pic­tured on their tour of Aus­tralia, are ex­pected to spend most of their time in North Amer­ica af­ter depart­ing royal life

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.