Wales On Sunday - - SPORT ON SUNDAY -

SCAR­LETS A slipped to a sec­ond Celtic Cup de­feat in three as they went down 16-10 against Le­in­ster A at Parc y Scar­lets.

The West Walians con­ceded a third-minute try to cen­tre Con­nor O’Brien, con­verted by fly-half Noel Reid. Full-back Mor­gan Wil­liams re­duced the deficit to 7-3 be­fore Reid’s penalty put the vis­i­tors 10-3 up at half time.

Reid slot­ted a fur­ther penalty five min­utes into the sec­ond pe­riod, with Wil­liams sin-binned in the process, and the lead was ex­tended by Reid to 16-3 just be­fore the hour mark as the home side again in­curred the wrath of ref­eree Mike English.

De­clan Smith scored a con­verted try be­tween the posts with nine min­utes re­main­ing af­ter great work from Wales in­ter­na­tional wing St­ef­fan Evans, but it came too late to spark a re­vival. There was also de­feat for Cardiff Blues A who lost 7-3 against Ul­ster A at the Arms Park.

In an er­ror-strewn open­ing half, the sparse crowd were served up some qual­ity rugby on 18 min­utes when turnover ball on their own line saw the ball move quickly across the Ul­ster three quar­ters for wing Aaron Sex­ton to run the length of the field, Michael Lowry con­verted the only score of the first half.

In a dis­ap­point­ing game of rugby, both teams per­sisted with driv­ing rugby but the strong de­fence of Ul­ster A won the day.

The only score of the sec­ond pe­riod came for the Blues with a Ben Jones penalty, while wing Tom James held the most threat in the back line and Shane Lewis-Hughes put in a strong per­for­mance up front in what was oth­er­wise a day at the of­fice to for­get for the Blues, with this their sec­ond de­feat from three.

Else­where Garin Lloyd’s late try snatched a dra­matic 27-22 vic­tory for the Ospreys De­vel­op­ment side against Con­nacht Ea­gles in Athlone.

Drag­ons A went down to their sec­ond de­feat in three – well beaten 34-17 by Mun­ster A in Cork.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.