Richard is fly­ing sky high again

Crash land­ing led to bro­ken bones

Wishaw Press - - FRONT PAGE - Lynn Love

A paraglider who plum­meted out of the sky and hit a tree at 100ft be­fore crash land­ing in a Wishaw park ear­lier this year is back in the air.

Dad- of- two Richard Allan sus­tained a bro­ken pelvis, a frac­ture to his right arm, a dis­lo­cated shoul­der and dozens of cuts and bruises to his face and body when he crashed his paramo­tor in Green­head Moss Com­mu­nity Nature Park back in Jan­uary.

Richard, 53, was told by doc­tors he would be on crutches for 12 months, how­ever he de­fied the odds and was back fly­ing the skies of Wishaw within six months.

The ex­pe­ri­enced pi­lot said: “I’ve def­i­nitely made a speedy re­cov­ery. The doc­tors and hos­pi­tal staff still can’t quite be­lieve it when I walk into the hos­pi­tal without my crutches.

“Don’t get me wrong, it’s been a long road to re­cov­ery and I hon­estly didn’t think I would be back fly­ing this soon but it feels amaz­ing to be back in the sky.

“So far I’ve done six flights and had seven hours in the air.”

On Jan­uary 21, Richard, of Car­luke, suf­fered dif­fi­cul­ties at around 3.30pm when sunglare caused him to crash to the ground from 100ft in the air.

Af­ter his ac­ci­dent he told the Wishaw Press from his hos­pi­tal bed that the low sun glare tem­po­rar­ily blinded him caus­ing him not to see three high ten­sion power lines un­til the very last minute.

He added: “I was on a so­cial flight with a friend and we were get­ting ready to land.

“The wind was com­ing from the north, which is very un­usual for that area, so I de­cided to turn around and land from the other side.

“The sun glare was very strong and I couldn’t see any­thing for a few sec­onds.

“Be­fore I knew it I was sec­onds away from hit­ting the pow­er­lines.

“I had to make a de­ci­sion whether or not to hit the lines or make a crash land­ing so I de­cided on the lat­ter.

“I ag­gres­sively pulled the right line to steer around be­fore I crashed to the ground.

“For a few sec­onds, I didn’t know if I was go­ing to sur­vive or not.

“It was a very scary, trau­matic ex­pe­ri­ence. I’m lucky to be alive.”

Sev­eral shocked dog­walk­ers were on hand to help Richard.

Emer­gency ser­vices were called to the scene off Cream­ery Road and an air am­bu­lance ar­rived 25 min­utes later.

He was taken to the Queen El­iz­a­beth Hos­pi­tal in Glas­gow where he has un­der­went sev­eral pro­ce­dures.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.